Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Official BG site update

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5546 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
At this point it would also be a tad too much hype for an iOS port, imo. But who knows.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

At this point it would also be a tad too much hype for an iOS port, imo. But who knows.

Always expect to be disappointed. And ios isn't exactly a small platform these days.

And the Mac versions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 haven't worked for years! ;)

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5546 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Always expect to be disappointed. And ios isn't exactly a small platform these days.

No, absolutely. I don't know maybe you're right! I don't expect it to be a new game by the way. To be completely honest, I'm not sure what I expect it to be.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5546 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Not too sure on what it is because the website is down and they sent a non-working image as their press release. Not the best way to start, Beamdog :/

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
https://twitter.com/...370152267849728

Oops.
  • Rosbjerg likes this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9370 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You people and your crappy thread titles. :(

YAAAAAY
  • sorophx likes this

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Site's back up, showing the zeroed countdown. :D

Mera

Mera

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts
Posted Image

:wub:

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9370 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't know whether to be happy or scared. Gaider's patches to Baldur's Gate 2 were good. But will he be able to put his nostalgia glasses on? Or maybe Gaider's not himself involved and he's just drawing attention to it.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know whether to be happy or scared. Gaider's patches to Baldur's Gate 2 were good. But will he be able to put his nostalgia glasses on? Or maybe Gaider's not himself involved and he's just drawing attention to it.

Ascension fully rolled in. Boom. :p

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1702 posts
Neither do I. But really, if it sucks we can just ignore its existence.

I'm mildly optimistic. But I really don't have any idea what they're going to do.

Its not going to be remade in 3D I think, and what exactly can be done with the Infinity engine at this point is a mystery to me.

But it is nice to see how many people still appreciate the game and how far they're going to go.

Imagine a hi-res 2D remake of all three games rolled into one, with today's technology. Will the world survive so much awesome?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 15 March 2012 - 12:46 PM.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5546 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
David Gaider works for BioWare which isn't involved on this project. I'd be really surprised if he somehow managed to work on this.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm not going to replay this monster of a game. Already busy enough with new games as it is.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6458 posts
First feature of enhanced edition: improved and fully integrated Saerileth mod.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9370 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Isn't that the 15 year old girl romance mod?

*shudder*

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1702 posts
Its time for this new generation of QTE gamers to learn what a real RPG is.

My correspondence with Overhaul games:

You can skip my fanboy slobbering for the little surprise in Cameron's reply ;)

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this message short and to the point. But the fact is that if I get started on Baldur's Gate this could probably run into several tomes. The reason for that can be distilled into the following sentence:
the Baldur's Gate series is probably the best PC series ever made, my favorite game, and the best RPG adventure the PC (BG2), or any other platform has ever seen (okay there's Planescape Torment and Fallout but they're in a world of their own).
I don't know how many times I've played it. I just know its the only game that can call itself epic, because there's no other way to describe the journey from Candlekeep to the throne of Bhaal. Everything that came afterwards from Bioware or others, was but a pale shadow of it. But you know all this, you know how special the game is - otherwise you wouldn't have taken it up a decade later in an industry where games are obsolete after a few months.

I always wondered what a remake would look like. It was a dream of sorts, but the kind you're sure is never going to happen. And now its happening. I really don't know what to say, except that I wish you luck. Frankly I don't even understand what you're going to do with the game. If I can help in any way (although I'm neither a programmer nor an artist), just holler. I can give all the feedback you want and more though.

Make this happen! Show gamers today what a real RPG looks like.

Sincerely yours,

PS: if you mess this up Boo will be very unhappy

Cameron Tofer cameron@beamdog.com
10:15 PM (0 minutes ago)

Posted Image

Hi ......

Thanks for your support, we're going to be making more announcements. I hope after you see them you can give us a hand.

Don't worry about boo, he will be handled very carefully. He was after all my character from our high school D&D campaign.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 15 March 2012 - 01:20 PM.

• Rostere likes this

Slinky

Slinky

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1905 posts

Imagine a hi-res 2D remake of all three games rolled into one, with today's technology. Will the world survive so much awesome?

I'm sure I wont, My two last attempts to play through the whole trilogy has ended well before the end of BG1 with me screaming "no more!"

Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but theres just too bloody much to me to handle. There was a time I could play games that take 100h to finish, but those days have disappeared somewhere mysteriously.

Rostere

Rostere

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Backer
So, from Trent Oster's twitter: "If by today's graphics standards you mean lots of 3D rendering, no. We're 2D isometric all the way", "1st rule of #bgee Don't break the fun. We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules"

So, this is looking way better than expected suddenly! 2nd ed., who would have thought? Especially fitting since I've sworn to boycott future DnD games since the alignment system overhaul and the changes to FR.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1702 posts
Bah!

All of us can give it one last spin for old time's sake. Its not like there'll be another game like it, ever. OOoooh I'm already drunk on nostalgia.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 15 March 2012 - 01:29 PM.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
And some of us can give it a spin for the first time, like me :grin:

Still, gotta wait and see what they're actually going to do I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users