Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Official BG site update

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

Gfted1

Gfted1

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 3381 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This is all win for me: I wanted it on the iPad, running the BGII engine (this is huge), includes TotSC which Ive never played, new characters, new quests, cost $10 bucks. It cant come out fast enough.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1554 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Might sound slightly entitled and well outright spoiled but since this is an enhanced edition, do those who already own the game recieve this as a free download, like with the Witcher games or is it a paid for mod? I'm not advocating either possibility mind you, just wondering.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5552 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Might sound slightly entitled and well outright spoiled but since this is an enhanced edition, do those who already own the game recieve this as a free download, like with the Witcher games or is it a paid for mod? I'm not advocating either possibility mind you, just wondering.

Nope.
  • Nonek likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts

Oooh, I like his Friendly Arm Inn pic.

I don't. This art looks like something people were making back in 2001. Even though this means looking like actual original art.

Like that Da Vinci guy - wow that Renaissance art sucked.

Well he 'cheated', fine for a comuter game I suppose, but the sky and the geometry are curtesy of a 3d program. I prefer one or the other. Give me a tarted up engine render of the or a 100% line drawing. Traces of editing software and the process in the final result bother me for some reason.

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 1554 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thankyou Mr Ever.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5825 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm now completely torn. I downloaded the mod that converts BG1 into BG2 etc. I've got loads of other mods loaded into it. I've got a great game on the go.

But I'd really like the extra stuff the enhanced edition is offering, but not for that price. Maybe I should support it out of principle, I love BG.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm now completely torn. I downloaded the mod that converts BG1 into BG2 etc. I've got loads of other mods loaded into it. I've got a great game on the go.

But I'd really like the extra stuff the enhanced edition is offering, but not for that price. Maybe I should support it out of principle, I love BG.

Do it for the water. The blue water, not the green one. Remember, these are people who left Bioware to work on better games. ;)

Junai

Junai

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts
Do it for BG3.

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 1554 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
An acquaintance of mine who's still heavily involved with the hobby posits that a part of the essence of Bhaal is still bound to the waters rushing under the Boarskeyr bridge in Cormyr, do you think this could be used as a springboard from which to resurrect the franchise while still maintaining a certain level of creative continuity? Seems a little hackneyed to me.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It (the corruption of the Winding Water from Boaresky Bridge onwards) was a story hook left to DMs during the 3e Dungeons & Dragons period, after which they basically nuked the whole setting. It's actually really close to Baldur's Gate, so it would allow the series to touch on the location that gave it it's name, as well.
  • Nonek likes this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5825 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
They announced cross-platform MP support...

http://www.rockpaper...oss-plat-co-op/

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

They announced cross-platform MP support...

http://www.rockpaper...oss-plat-co-op/

Looks like a slow news day, that's been confirmed for a while, now.

Junai

Junai

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts

An acquaintance of mine who's still heavily involved with the hobby posits that a part of the essence of Bhaal is still bound to the waters rushing under the Boarskeyr bridge in Cormyr, do you think this could be used as a springboard from which to resurrect the franchise while still maintaining a certain level of creative continuity? Seems a little hackneyed to me.

Well, "BG3" doesn't have to be anything more than a working title. The IWD games didn't share a direct story continuity, the title merely reflected that these tales took place in the same part of the world. A lot of stuff can happen in the city of Baldur's Gate. Something in Cormyr/Suzail would be fun, something not related to BG/Bhaal.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15517 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
There's LOTS of story ideas for a BG3. All it takes is a little imagination which one should have if they ar einto fantasy.

How can anything get more 'hackneyed' than the idea a god who knows he is dying decides to go around have sex and making babies of every race, species, animal type imagineable and manages to do it within a quick tiemf rame and the other gods aren't even aren't even aware of it? L0L That's the entire set up of the BG series... yet it friggin' worked. :p

LOTS of ideas 'hackneyed' or 'otherwise' that could work. LOTS.

MrBrown

MrBrown

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 442 posts
Is it their intention to make BG3, if it happens, on the same engine or new?

In other words, would they aim it at the retro-crowd, or make an AAAAAAAAAAA-title?

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

As far as I know, their license only covers BG1 and 2. So IF they can make a third one, it would be up to the license negotiations to cover the engine as well. I suspect that they'd want to use their updated version of Infinity engine as much as possible.

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

There's LOTS of story ideas for a BG3. All it takes is a little imagination which one should have if they ar einto fantasy.

How can anything get more 'hackneyed' than the idea a god who knows he is dying decides to go around have sex and making babies of every race, species, animal type imagineable and manages to do it within a quick tiemf rame and the other gods aren't even aren't even aware of it? L0L That's the entire set up of the BG series... yet it friggin' worked. :p

LOTS of ideas 'hackneyed' or 'otherwise' that could work. LOTS.

He "decides to go around and make babies of every race"? Jebus! Some people always have to look for a meaning no matter what huh. I think he just liked ass.

Edited by Delfosse, 08 August 2012 - 05:07 AM.

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 1554 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I assume the word "hackneyed" rubs your rhubarb somewhat Volourn, I do apologise. I have similar reservations about "actually", always seems a little condescending, probably just me projecting though.

Got to admit a touch of bias here, I was never the biggest fan of Mr Greenwoods backyard, and though i'll admit that Shadows of Amn was a rollicking good adventure i'm still not particularly enchanted with the setting. I prefer more grimdark or out there properties, such as Warhammer frp or Athas, Abeir Toril always seemed a little middle of the road.

Mind you i'll still be picking it up, if only for the warm feelings of nostalgia and Korgan Bloodaxe's homicidal mumblings.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9377 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

As far as I know, their license only covers BG1 and 2. So IF they can make a third one, it would be up to the license negotiations to cover the engine as well. I suspect that they'd want to use their updated version of Infinity engine as much as possible.

Related, I have no hope that they'd be able to swing for AD&D. They'd probably have to use 4e or 5e.

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts
Yeah right. Here's a little glimpse into a possible future if they ever decided to make BG3.

"Hey guys, it's Trent. So we have finally decided on the rule system for BG3 and I know you all asked us to use D&D, which is of course an obvious choice, but.... (and don't bash us yet, read till the end!) after a lot of heated discussion, we decided to move to another system, because it's a) easier to understand for iphone players b) more balanced c) will allow us to create more content, because frankly D&D is very limiting! And believe me, it'll only make the game better. If I thought it would spoil the BG experience, I wouldn't even think about it, trust me, I'm a hardcore BG2 fan myself. So... without further ado, it's the...... DA2 system!"

Now here's the glimpse into the actual future concerning BG3:

Kickstarter in 20 years by aging Brian.

Edited by Delfosse, 08 August 2012 - 04:44 PM.

• Sammael likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users