Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Official BG site update

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

Junai

Junai

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts

BG is dead. And, what 6 original members at most? Big deal. Is BIo and Interplay getting money out of this? If not, why should I support it? Espicially since BG1 was overrated ... inclduing by me,

It';s a minor update. It's a minor trash update to a game past its prime. Nothing they've announced makes this a worthy purchase with my money. Maybe they'll announce something that'll change my mind.. maybe not.

...canna believe I's gotta agree wit' the dwarf on this'n ('cept that BG wasna overrated; SoA & ToB was, greatly)...a Planescape: Torment redux, now that'd 'ave me attention... ;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

BG lives forever, like chess and Mozart.. :bow:

I *do* want to see a demo of the EE before I purchase it though.

Edited by Junai, 11 April 2012 - 01:58 AM.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5825 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm really interested but the ability to mod it is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This game'll still cost less than you spend on games you'll never play on any given day of a steam sale. :p

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2118 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm really interested but the ability to mod it is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

They did say they wanted exisiting mods to work with it though, so hopefully that won't be an issue (of course they won't work on the ipad anyway most likely, but that's another issue entirely)

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija

Trent Oster ? @TrentOster
We are looking at the #bgee pathfinding. We have a few theories on the problems. Mainly looks like lack of fidelity on search maps.

THAT alone would be worth the price of this new version.

Aedelric

Aedelric

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 473 posts
I already own two copies of the original, it would have to be a marked improvement over the original for me to buy another. Currently I have not seen anything that makes me want to part with my money, but I am willing to wait and see as I do love those games.

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

so sprites and the world is still large, without the pixelation. I'm not sure how that last part works, since that would imply every single art asset in the game was redrawn with extra pixels, no?

No, it's done through an extrapolation algorithm. Trent what's-his-name mentioned that they're "researching the best upscaling algorithm" (what's there to research? get the best one, see if it works smoothly in your beloved iphones, end of story), which doesn't add more resolution to the image, it just removes the pixelation. Like that: http://en.wikipedia....i/Image_scaling
Posted Image

If the image above shows, you can see the difference. The one on the left is just a zoomed version, it's therefore pixelated. The one on the right is enlarged with an extrapolation algorith, hence no pixelation, but there isn't much detail to this object (it became dull), as you can see.

Edited by Delfosse, 11 April 2012 - 07:05 AM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ah, they're upscaling. Should have thought of that, really. :( Much appreciated.

Was the BG pathfinding that bad? I thought the NWNs and other games were worse. But can't hurt to improve it, it did have its quirks.

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

Was the BG pathfinding that bad?

Not at all. The pathfinding algorithm in 2d is extremely simple, it's called backtracking. It's something you learn in your first weeks of programming courses, it's that simple.

The only thing that BG's algorithm didn't manage at all was when the path was blocked by another character. The algorithm considered that path blocked, end of story. However, if the path was blocked by a friendly character that was also moving, the algo shouldn't have dismissed that path. That particular issue caused problems with moving multiple characters through a narrow passage: some of them would think that there's no way of moving through it and would take a longer route, which most people usually solved by right-clicking on the ground multiple times, remember?

This particular problem can be solved with a few lines of code. From what I've read so far, Trent is just trying to make it sound and look like they're actually working, so he can ask for money later.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ah, they're upscaling. Should have thought of that, really. :( Much appreciated.

The zoom should, of course, allow you to view it at original scale as well.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5825 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Was the BG pathfinding that bad? I thought the NWNs and other games were worse. But can't hurt to improve it, it did have its quirks.

Yeah it could be pretty bad (cough FIREWINE cough) and got worse the bigger your party was. The twisty under-city dungeon in BG itself, towards the end of the game, was awful.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Mod support has been confirmed by latest twitter "Mod support will be improved...".

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15514 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No way did anyone SERUIOUSLy try to claim that the IE had better pathfinding than Aurora. LMAO

BG fanboys. L0L

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

No way did anyone SERUIOUSLy try to claim that the IE had better pathfinding than Aurora. LMAO

BG fanboys. L0L

Well that's a funny joke. I spent at least 2 years just playing on Russian persistent-world shards and there were more ways to get mobs stuck on just a small piece of stone laying on the ground than I care to remember. I don't remember anything of the sort in the IE. Like I said, IE managed badly the fact that someone was blocking the path. Aurora managed badly everything, including texture on the tiles (tiles with teeny-tiny stones could block a dragon and get him stuck forever, it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary). I remember getting stuck in texture myself a thousand times, so please...

Edited by Delfosse, 12 April 2012 - 10:00 PM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15514 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • IE fanboy apologist above. My sympathies to those who had to read such a joke. Did you play any of the IE games? L0L

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1747 posts

BG fanboys. L0L

Well that's a funny joke. I spent at least 2 years just playing on Russian persistent-world shards and there were more ways to get mobs stuck on just a small piece of stone laying on the ground than I care to remember. I don't remember anything of the sort in the IE. Like I said, IE managed badly the fact that someone was blocking the path. Aurora managed badly everything, including texture on the tiles (tiles with teeny-tiny stones could block a dragon and get him stuck forever, it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary). I remember getting stuck in texture myself a thousand times, so please...

You're fighting a losing battle there. The man thinks NWN is the best thing since pre sliced bread. You'll notice he replies to well reasoned arguments with nothing but persistence, so you shouldn't waste your time.

Volourn, stop contaminating the topic. If you're not a fanboy/interested/whatever you want to call it - in BGEE then piss off.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Volourn, stop contaminating the topic. If you're not a fanboy/interested/whatever you want to call it - in BGEE then piss off.

While I agree with you in principle, I literally laughed out loud at the irony of you of all people saying it.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1747 posts

While I agree with you in principle, I literally laughed out loud at the irony of you of all people saying it.

There's a difference. I am critical of BW's games, but I try to offer an argument/prove a point most of the time - he's just rude to everyone who doesn't agree with him. Obviously, if I criticise BW I'm interested in them, at least enough to talk about the game if I'm not going to buy it. He isn't, he's just baiting the new guy for no good reason.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts

There's a difference. I am critical of BW's games, but I try to offer an argument/prove a point most of the time - he's just rude to everyone who doesn't agree with him. Obviously, if I criticise BW I'm interested in them, at least enough to talk about the game if I'm not going to buy it. He isn't, he's just baiting the new guy for no good reason.

...in years gone by, lad, 'twas quite the sport 'ere, so if yer lookin' fer the dwarf ta " be reasonable & lay off the trollin' ", good luck ta ya... :no:

...oh, an' BTW; much as it pains me ta admit, he be right, IE pathfindin' was terrible... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1747 posts
The pathfinding wasn't good, I won't disagree with that. I got into a habit of selecting shorter routes but even so the characters had a tendency to go the long way around, if one was available.

The aurora engine was no better. Getting stuck on a small rock/terrain features was, as Delfosse said a regular problem. Used to get around that by leading my char with the keyboard.
But then, who cares about the aurora engine or NWN, the only good thing that came out of it was the Witcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users