Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Avellone asks for your kickstarter ideas

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9733 posts
This country has a severe shortage of Gruyère :(

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2121 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Labadal is in no way shape or form a representative of the Swedish people in this.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2570 posts
Australia in general has an odd relationship with cheese - raw (read: unpasteurised) milk and products derived thereof are generally banned from production and sale because of perceived health risks. It is one case where it's hard to argue the overused "nanny state" cries aren't accurate.

That said, there is a loophole for milk at least, that permits its sale for external use, e.g. for milk baths - and obviously there's nothing preventing the internal use of said "cosmetics" product.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2673 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Labadal is in no way shape or form a representative of the Swedish people in this.

This is true. I'm a weirdo.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6986 posts
  • Backer
So will there be some kickstarting, or should I stop caring/waiting?

Auxilius

Auxilius

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 230 posts
As long as Chris is working for Brian "Kicking Forward" Fargo, you better forget it for the moment
Since the writing is something that is done ahead of the coding, maybe we'll have news after this summer.

You should tweet the man himself for something more precise.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3919 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

As long as Chris is working for Brian "Kicking Forward" Fargo, you better forget it for the moment
Since the writing is something that is done ahead of the coding, maybe we'll have news after this summer.

You should tweet the man himself for something more precise.

Well, Chris said that the Wasteland Kickstarter didn't influence work on their own kickstarters. So, I'd think someone's working on it.

Though, it has been a long time. And as I ranted before ^^ I still see it as a mistake that Obsidian didn't chime in at the beginning of the whole process. Projects still get funded (and I have no doubt in my mind Obsidian's will get as well) but the enthusiasm has died down and with it massivly overfunded projects.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
http://www.gamelab.e...rence/speakers/

Chris Avellone
Creative Director of Obsidian Entertainment, Chris started his career at Interplay's Black Isle Studios division. Titles include Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series, Dark Alliance, Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, FNV DLC: Dead Money, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, South Park, and now, Wasteland 2.

CONFERENCE
Kicking the Publishers Out: Kickstarter and Wasteland 2

Edited by funcroc, 22 June 2012 - 05:30 AM.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
https://twitter.com/...8/photo/1/large
http://www.hardgame2...icia-69601.html

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

A bunch of cancelled RPGs

:(

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3919 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Some Gamelab related stuff

http://www.realitypa...om/archives/494

Posted Image

http://www.control-o...oor-publishers/
http://www.zonablade...-a-kickstarter/

Edited by C2B, 02 July 2012 - 08:45 PM.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
http://www.comic-con...12_prog_sat.php

6:30-7:30 Gaming Kickstarter — Gaming industry veterans Oded Sharon (developer for Leisure Suit Larry), Chris Jones (Tex Murphy), Chris Pope (Two Guys from Andromeda: SpaceVenture), Jordan Weisman (Shadowrun), and Chris Avellone (Wasteland 2) discuss the new development model in gaming: Kickstarter! Join them as they discuss the ins-and-outs of the process, challenges, and lessons learned in creating a new generation of games for gamers through the Kickstarter model. Strategies, fan input, and advice for other projects are all on the table-learn firsthand what you can do to get your dream project funded!

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
Gamereactor removed their Gamelab video interview with Chris Avellone...

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
OT: http://www.gam3rcon.com/panels.html

"Writing for the Computer Gaming Industry"
3:45 PM to 4:30 PM | Theatre | FREE with Gam3rCon Admission

While the game-play, graphics, and physics of modern computer games are often the first things to attract players to a computer gaming title, it's often the rich histories, plots, and quests that keep them coming back for more. In some cases the stories have been so controversial or involving that they eclipsed the game in which they were placed (we're looking at you Mass Effect 3). Join our panel of veteran computer gaming writers as they share their stories about creating the narratives for the stories you love.

Featuring Neal Hallford (Betrayal at Krondor, Dungeon Siege), Anne Toole (The Witcher), Chris Avellone (Planescape: Torment, Fallout: Las Vegas), Haris Orkin (Call of Juarez, Dead Island), John Zuur Platen (Ghostbusters, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin), plus special guests TBA. Moderated by Jana Hallford, co-author of "Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide To Computer Role-Playing Games".

Undecaf

Undecaf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Games Industry interview with MCA

An interesting tidbit:

Q: One last thing. Tempted by a Planescape Kickstarter?

Chris Avellone: Yes! Very tempted.

Q: It seems like a prime target...

Chris Avellone: Yeah - I think the challenges we've spoken about would all have to be considered and to be honest I don't know if I'd want to do it as a Planescape game - I think a better approach would be to ignore the D&D mechanics and respect what Planescape was trying to do and what the game did and see if you can do what Fallout did when it became the spiritual successor to Wasteland.
I think if you made a game using some of the concepts of Planescape, the metaphysical ideas and the plane travel, without using the D&D mechanics, you could actually come up with a much better game. With Torment, I'd argue that the D&D base actually, in places, got in the way of the experience. It was a lot harder to make a game with those ideas in it with D&D mechanics. So much that we had to break a lot of them. We had to ignore certain spells, change up the class mechanic so that you can switch at any time you like by remembering abilities.
That was stuff that D&D didn't allow for, it was to restraining in some respects. If we did do a spiritual successor, then I don't know if we'd use the Planescape licence or attach the mechanics, perhaps something that has a different feel to Torment.

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
One thing sounds very odd here is that it sounds as if PS:T team had followed the rule of AD&D faithfully. :lol: That said, I agree that I think PS:T could have been better without any AD&D rule set influence and the logo.

In any case, I tend to find myself bugged when I hear non-conversation system discussions from Chris Avellone - I admit his talent in writing dialogues which gradually build PC-NPC relationship, eventually weaving customized stories for the players with different personalities. However, I was never happy with the game-play of Torment and/or Alpha Protocol - I cannot even agree with his post-mortem analyses on some of his past works, at least, about the game-play decisions. The more I value his other side, the more I get frustrated with some game-play designs by him. >_<

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5597 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

One thing sounds very odd here is that it sounds as if PS:T team had followed the rule of AD&D faithfully. :lol:

No? He outright said that they broke a lot of the D&D rules stuff to make the mechanics and narrative they had in mind work.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9733 posts

One thing sounds very odd here is that it sounds as if PS:T team had followed the rule of AD&D faithfully. :lol:

No? He outright said that they broke a lot of the D&D rules stuff to make the mechanics and narrative they had in mind work.

Disclaimer: Entirely possible that my memory is fuzzy and I remember it wrong. I do seem to remember an old interview where MCA discussed them breaking a lot of conventions (i.e. traditions, not rules) by deliberately designing a game where the protagonist would never have a sword, no armour, dieing wasn't the end of the game etc.

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You mean in this article? In any case, it's just a conventional joke about Planescape: Torment using AD&D rule set. Rather, the second sentence was what I really meant.

Disclaimer: Entirely possible that my memory is fuzzy and I remember it wrong. I do seem to remember an old interview where MCA discussed them breaking a lot of conventions (i.e. traditions, not rules) by deliberately designing a game where the protagonist would never have a sword, no armour, dieing wasn't the end of the game etc.

...and it begins with the death of the protagonist...I remember such an interview but - well, only remember vaguely, too. Avellone usually tries to counter the existing schemes - with some successes and failures. I admire such ambition in terms of content - he is remarkably good at this direction. In fact, I got inclined to believe it must be a part of source of his creativity.

However, when it comes to game-plays... You know, successful RPG companies like Bethesda and Bioware managed to have established the base game-plays, which manage to keep a certain number of players even if they are not my cup of tea. I imagine Kickstarter pledgers would be tolerant people. Maybe different market, different audiences but..well...Avellone's hardcore mode may turn out to be a "Nightmare mode"...I wonder if I'm joking again except that the joke is on me when I play his games. :facepalm:

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2236 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You know, I love Chris but does anyone else feel like the whole "spiritual successor to Torment" is setting up for a massive disappointment? I have no doubt that Chris can deliver more incredible games and I would personally love to see it, but Torment is a game that has risen to "godhood" so to speak and comparing any new game with it is gonna do the new game a disservice because people will expect impossible things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users