Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Avellone asks for your kickstarter ideas

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
True, fog of war would work with great level designing.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1399 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Give the protagonist a field of view? You've got a fog of war covering any area yet unexplored, the door your character approaches is just that, a door with seeming blackness beyond. Cue dramatic heartbeat music as you notice blood and scratches on the floor, you interact with them and find them still fresh. Suddenly a huge slam against the door shakes it in its hinges and something beyond growls horribly. You arrange your party order, before pulling open the door to have a freshly gnawed corpse fall through with a trail of blood and chewed viscera leading from it to a nearby tunnel. There are old broken bones strewn along that trail.

Just build up the tension so your mind creates the monster, should work even in isometric. Cripes remember the sound of babies crying in the original Diablo, think it was the catacombs, bloody disturbing.

Nicely put, it's pretty much the scene I was picturing, sound design would be crucial :thumbsup:

Edited by WDeranged, 14 February 2012 - 03:01 PM.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2032 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yea and when you play the game a second time, you can strike out the horror of that horror game. :>

/Edit: Actually, in an iso / turn based game, Cthuvian-horror is something I could be friend with, but not this Fear or Doom(3)-kind of horror, which relies solely on shock moments.

Edited by Lexx, 14 February 2012 - 03:56 PM.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1399 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yea and when you play the game a second time, you can strike out the horror of that horror game. :>

That is indeed the critical issue with horror in games :(

*edit*

Horror in general too I suppose, dunno, it's probably a personal thing, some people can repeatedly watch the same horror movie and love it.

Edited by WDeranged, 14 February 2012 - 04:04 PM.

TheTuninator

TheTuninator

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
Really good horror is done through atmosphere, not jump scares, and that's something that holds up much better on repeated examination.
  • Nonek likes this

Giantevilhead

Giantevilhead

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think a horror game should play more with the player's perceptions. After all, if you're just a human fighting against demons and monsters or being hunted by them, your physical health isn't the only thing that'll be affected.

Instead of just having hit points, there could also be stats relating to mental conditions like paranoia and fear, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Fear could increase certain physical stats like movement speed and strength but decreases perception and accuracy. Paranoia sharpens senses but also causes delusions and hallucinations.

Different paranoia levels could triggered events that have the potential to increase paranoia or fear. For example, when paranoia gets up to a certain point, you experience delusions and hallucinations. But you don't know if it's a delusion/hallucination so you can go investigate. If it turns out that it was a delusion/hallucination, your paranoia goes up. If it turns out that it wasn't a delusion/hallucination, then one of two things could happen. Your fear goes up if it's something dangerous/scary like blood dripping from a mutilated corpse, but your fear goes down if it's something innocuous like a branch scratching on a window.

Also, instead of having every detail in the environment being shown the moment you enter a room, it takes time for you to notice things and for things to come in focus. The higher your fear is, the less you notice and the longer it takes for details in the environment to become clear. The higher your paranoia is, the less time it takes for you to notice the details but some of those details may be distorted or they may be delusions or hallucinations.

That way, the game plays differently each time depending on your character's mental state.

Edited by Giantevilhead, 15 February 2012 - 01:05 AM.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7013 posts
  • Backer
One thing that added to the atmosphere of horror games, that gave them some measure of unpredictability and made them just plain scarier, is parolling enemies. Remember Return to the Cathedral? The Cradle? In the former you see the enemies patrolling the lower floor of the Cathedral. You are on a balcony on the upper floor, hiding, pondering which way to go, then the doorlock screeches behind you and a hammer haunt walks in, screaming as it notices you... *shudder*

PoetAndMadman

PoetAndMadman

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So, Brian Fargo also wants to kickstart the hardcore RPG - Wasteland 2. Obsidian should develop isometric/top down with turn based combat variation of Onyx engine with their first hypothetical kickstarter project and then make a countles sequels and games in different settings, including Wasteland 2 for Brian. ;)

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1952 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thinking about it a good way to introduce replayability would be multiple quest routes, say you're trying to infiltrate the castle of Lord Murdo Mc Murderpants: You could be shown a path across the rooftops to an unguarded window by the black hand, the legendary noble thieves of the city. With a nod and a wink to a beggar you could have a key dropped into your palm for the sewers, where the enigmatic Beggarmaster holds court. Staking out the local taverns you could mug a drunken guard and pinch his uniform, before rolling up to the postern gate in a cloud of alcohol fumes to demand entrance for your shift. Or you could have found out about the secret tunnels running from the graveyard to the castles cellars from studying at the libraries of the silent brotherhood, a reclusive sect of monks hiding many secrets.

Each of these paths could be fraught with dangers and atmosphere, running from shadow to shadow across the rooftops, the danger of slipping to your death or being spotted by archers and ventilated if you stay too long in the moonlight. Diseases and great swarms of rats (that you must shake off or put to flight with fire or else be borne under by hundreds of squirming bodies) as you wade through the putresence of the sewers. The quick, brutal murder of innocent guardsmen before nervously crossing the courtyard keeping your distance from the other patrolling guards and their fields of view lest you be shot by the crossbowmen above or worse mobbed and overwhelmed to awaken in the torture chambers with Murdo gloating through prison bars.

A mix of Deus Ex's numerous paths and Alpha Protocols faction alliances.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2032 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I see multiple paths as default situation for a real RPG. But this also makes the game much more complex, more bugs can get through, more work needs to be done, etc.
  • sorophx likes this

Auxilius

Auxilius

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, such a project at least needs to speak to a small crowd, and I don't see 15 years old or more games do that. While there is a nerdgasm going on about Arcanum 2/PT2 (I'm part of it concerning Arcanum 2), I don't think that will happen because borrowing the license would be too expensive and would go against the idea of a kickstarter project to begin with: working free of pressure from publishers and copyrights. On this subject, if I listened to myself, I would fund someone for KOTOR 3, ignoring all SWTOR canon. Alas, the world spoken and we got a MMO. Even worse, the Exile is a young woman and not the bearded 40 years old world-weary man I grew to love. I guess that's the problem when your roleplaying doesn't mix with canon.

If it is made, it will be all about the settings and the mechanics of the game. I guess Chris and errr. Urquhart? (sorry) will have to run a poll about it.

After all, we're only asking Obsidian to work their normal magic with writing, plotting, storytelling and worldbuilding.

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts

Well, such a project at least needs to speak to a small crowd, and I don't see 15 years old or more games do that.

But why ask for opinions then?
It was pretty obvious that the 2 things fans will want is Planescape/Icewind Dale setting-wise and decade old mechanics.
Aiming your 'kickstart' project at the die-hard fans will inevitably kill any larger appeal it might have had and I assume Obsidian is fine with that.

I don't think that will happen because borrowing the license would be too expensive and would go against the idea of a kickstarter project to begin with: working free of pressure from publishers and copyrights.

That's the whole point of 'spiritual' successors.
You can easily do a 'Bioshock' or simply use setting as it was without mentioning key names.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2156 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
PST and Icewind Dale are pipe dreams, due to rights and such. And even if they weren't, they would be 4th edition games, Hasbro would allow anything else.

Arcanum 2 is more likely, but would the project be worth it to Obs? I doubt it.

Creating a new IP give Obs complete control, and has the possibility to get funding from a publisher to create a AAA sequel.

Horus Blackheart

Horus Blackheart

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Silver Backer
Hi All,

I signed up just now so i could contribute to this thread (i'm a long time lurker and RPG fan in genral. I'm also contributing to the double fine kickstarter project. I just thought id pop on here and give some support and a little feedback, I'm all for a new game in the planescape setting (thats a given) but i's personaly like to see a cyberpunk rrpg i'm thinking of a bladerunner meets shadow run vibe. I also remember a design talk chris Avellone gave a few years back whare he talked about the axed fallout 3 project. The part that intrested me most was the prospect of facing an opposing party I'd love to see that concept droped in a arcanum/ cyberpunk setting whare psysic powers/ magic colide with science and the world is caught between them.

Or perhaps an alpha protocal spin off with actual party members.

But id gladly donate to any project , because I think it is important to have alterntives like this

Thanks for puting up with my rambling

ps another bloodlines game would be welcome too assuming you guys can convince tim cane :p

Junai

Junai

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Did Avellone look at the blog yet? Would be interesting to get some OE feedback on the kickstarter ideas.

Lots of wishes for a Plancescape followup.
Personally I'd like to see some Jefferson engine D&D stuff. :)

D.

Edited by Junai, 23 February 2012 - 04:42 AM.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4081 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Did Avellone look at the blog yet? Would be interesting to get some OE feedback on the kickstarter ideas.

Lots of wishes for a Plancescape followup.
Personally I'd like to see some Jefferson engine D&D stuff. :)

D.

Yes, quite a while ago.

Gizmo

Gizmo

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But why ask for opinions then?
It was pretty obvious that the 2 things fans will want is Planescape/Icewind Dale setting-wise and decade old mechanics.

What's (if anything) is wrong with decade old mechanics? (Especially when the recent mechanics are often thought to be over simplified.)

I suggested they consider a 'Die By The Sword' successor, or a Blood & Magic successor. :w00t:

(I'd pay the same as I did for Skyrim for either of those done on a modern engine ~direct sequel or not.)

Edited by Gizmo, 03 March 2012 - 05:41 PM.

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts

What's (if anything) is wrong with decade old mechanics? (Especially when the recent mechanics are often thought to be over simplified.)

The problem is that those mechanics either evolved or died off - and it happened for a reason.
I see no good reason to scorn modern game design or avoid wider audiences available today.
If anything it should be preferable to update the mechanics and keep the best parts of older games intact - then they can appeal to both groups.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8771 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Old mechanics become unpopular for a reason, yes. And they also come back for a reason. Those reasons are very complex and have nothing to do with any sort of evolution. Which, of course, is exactly what you mean when you say 'update & keep the best part of'.

The games industry took some clear forks in the road over its history - at the 1983 Atari crash, the mid-90s 'multimedia' boom, the 3DO/Playstation fork, etc., etc. Every time game design ends up 'evolving' in a particular direction. What's happening in the current years it that we're potentially getting the chance to explore a greater variety of directions, and this Kickstarter stuff is a part of that.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7013 posts
  • Backer
Some mechanics disappeared for no good reason. Like body blocking. So great when 20 enemies stand on top of each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users