Mass Effect 3

Gorth

This thread is depressing.

I've had a blast taking Shepard through these games, I guess that makes me simple, but he's a Marine and he gets stuff done. You guys need to treat this game like a good night out on the town. Play it fast and easy, and don't look too closely at the bathrooms or the girl you take home. Good times :)

That's the thing, though; ME1, while far from perfect, had a respectable plot. It was not simply an excuse for **** YEAH SHEPARD SHOOTS STUFF. The shift in emphasis between the two games is jarring - you can see it everything from the plot, to the gameplay, to the art direction, to the soundtrack. It became less of a sci-fi adventure RPG and much more of a typical, bland shooter, except IN SPACE.

In many ways, it's the same sort of "Awesome Button" mentality that defined DA2, except not quite as overt. I can't help but think this is largely a result of the EA merger.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Honestly, at this point, "bull****" is about the extent of what your newest attempt deserves to be dismissed with...

You guys are just sore you had to ditch the Standard Bioware Plot Arc diagram because of it.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Honestly, at this point, "bull****" is about the extent of what your newest attempt deserves to be dismissed with...

"Attempt?"

Wat.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

"Attempt?"

Wat.

Mmh, now we're at the anti-ME2 argument 3b, also known as pedestalising ME1 and ignoring all that was wrong with it. Kind of like what was done with DAO and DA2, 'cept DA2 made it easier for you guys.

• Like 1

"Attempt?"

Wat.

Mmh, now we're at the anti-ME2 argument 3b, also known as pedestalising ME1 and ignoring all that was wrong with it. Kind of like what was done with DAO and DA2, 'cept DA2 made it easier for you guys.

I had a longer post where I showed I loved ME1, but it's plot was actually more deriviative and unoriginal than ME2...hence it sort of cracks me up when people praise it but put down ME2's...(Reapers...what Reapers...I have 300 more planets to land on and explore, reapers will wait till I get there, they always do!). Basically you said it all better though.

There's a list of these arguments ? Sweet.

Hurlshot is right though, ME2's fun to play if you don't think about it overly much or roll your eyes too much at the loyalty quests. They did seem to overcompensate when changing some things from ME, but ah well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not really a great fan of ME2 by any means and it's quite an achievement to get me sounding like I am, but really, people need to learn what the difference is between legitimate criticism and personal opinion, and between legitimate criticism and carping about standard gaming conventions, and when they overlap. This is something I wish most gaming journalists would get the gist of as well, to be frank.

For example, if you're going to complain about Shephard being a moron, then that standard needs to applied evenhandedly, and by that standard just about every protagonist in a game is a moron. JC Denton? Joined a front for a government/ industrial conspiracy responsible for most of the problems of the world. Moron. Dude from System Shock? Hmm, I'll turn an AI into a psychopath on the whim of a power hungry corrupt exec, nothing will go wrong! Cretin. BG2? Sure Yoshimo, join the party, we'll follow you to see your friends, what, you're betraying me? Clown. Fallout? Sure I'll fetch your waterchip, I'm sure you'll be super grateful Mr Overseer since you ain't by any means an insular domineering git. Doofus. 95% of cinematic fps? Sure, I'll walk into this telegraphed trap, what else am I to do, stand around forever twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to patch intelligence into the plot?

If you give that sort of analysis you're completely missing the point of gaming- there's effectively an infinite supply of games, if you don't like a game that's fine, but you're almost certainly better off just forgetting about it and playing something you do like. I think Oblivion is the worst game I've ever played (oh yes, literally) with the possible exception of the NWN OC. I think I've spent time writing about why I dislike it once in total, as a response to someone who asked me directly why. I didn't like the game, I know Beth wouldn't listen to why I don't like the game and I know lots of people did like it. The only result possible is a pointless back-to-forth trying to convince people that they didn't really like something, they just thought they did.

• Like 1

Will the Reapers even have a chance of winning this time around if Shepard wastes too much time?

Hah, a sense of urgency would be interesting, but nah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's a litlte funny to think that when the Reapers grind all the advanced species of the galactic empire into a soulless meat paste they are actually making Reaper babies.. That's pretty much how I see the Collector project. I just don't get why all the reapers look alike. I imagine that an entire race of people is used for the construction of a Reaper or maybe they just use us for batteries. Maybe that's why they need to hurry back, because they are running out of organic fuel.. Maybe they harvest both skin, bone and flesh and use the deathcries as sonic fuel or maybe they are just playing with their food. I don't think Bioware really thought it through. I just play and grind my own way.

(Signatures: disabled) 

If you want to see this as some sort of quest to discredit your enjoyment of ME2, be my guest. It's not exactly beneficial to the discussion, though.

It's a litlte funny to think that when the Reapers grind all the advanced species of the galactic empire into a soulless meat paste they are actually making Reaper babies.. That's pretty much how I see the Collector project. I just don't get why all the reapers look alike. I imagine that an entire race of people is used for the construction of a Reaper or maybe they just use us for batteries. Maybe that's why they need to hurry back, because they are running out of organic fuel.. Maybe they harvest both skin, bone and flesh and use the deathcries as sonic fuel or maybe they are just playing with their food. I don't think Bioware really thought it through. I just play and grind my own way.

Sounds like the plot of Vandread all that harvesting of skin,bone and flesh.

It is a bit odd that a race that hates organics runs on organic soup.

I haven't made a single comment regarding gameplay in these threads. So why people claim I overlook ME1's faults and hammer ME2's, I have no clue. It's true. But I still can see the faults ME1 made. Also those ME2 made.

And it's a little hard to see how much more of a plot ME1 has, wheter ME2's is flinter-thin, and covers barely 10% of the game, a pretty major difference. Can't deny that.

And yes, I do like a more plot-heavy game than lots of side-quests with major plot.

Also, Mako beats Hammerhead, exploring planets beats scanning planets, ME1's shooting beats ME2's in my opinion. Inventory beats using single weapon pretty much all the game, also getting a new weapon rather than just buying upgrade X. I rather liked having side-quests covering several planets instead of the small maps all of ME2's where.

There also things I liked better in ME2, so it's not all bad. I enjoyed both games, though I haven't considered replaying either. I tried with ME1 immediately and quick shortly after, didn't even try with ME2...

All have nothing to do with the plot point I tried to make in the past...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Will the Reapers even have a chance of winning this time around if Shepard wastes too much time?

Less then a chance of Shepard dying in ME2 (which there was a chance, but since it's LESS than that)...

Err...No?

The won't have a chance?

Edited by greylord

This thread is depressing.

I've had a blast taking Shepard through these games, I guess that makes me simple, but he's a Marine and he gets stuff done. You guys need to treat this game like a good night out on the town. Play it fast and easy, and don't look too closely at the bathrooms or the girl you take home. Good times :)

That's exactly how I played it, and I enjoyed ME2 overall.

I'm just tired of invincible Space Marines. And it seems to be a staple now. Don't american boys have anything else to identify with?

@Zoraptor: Shepard is less of a blank slate than some PC's you mention. He's half blank, half defined. The defined part is the problem. The male shep voice acting didn't help either.

Although I would agree games want to keep the oohs and aaahs flowing so everything else generally gets thrown out of the windown - sense first. Can't really complain about that they're just games after all.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Less then a chance of Shepard dying in ME2 (which there was a chance, but since it's LESS than that)...

Err...No?

The won't have a chance?

According to the leak, though, it is possible for

Earth to be destroyed or the Reapers fleeing intact

, which counts as a failure. I'll do anything in my power to reach that ending with my Renegade Shepard.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'm not really a great fan of ME2 by any means and it's quite an achievement to get me sounding like I am, but really, people need to learn what the difference is between legitimate criticism and personal opinion, and between legitimate criticism and carping about standard gaming conventions, and when they overlap. This is something I wish most gaming journalists would get the gist of as well, to be frank.

For example, if you're going to complain about Shephard being a moron, then that standard needs to applied evenhandedly, and by that standard just about every protagonist in a game is a moron. JC Denton? Joined a front for a government/ industrial conspiracy responsible for most of the problems of the world. Moron. Dude from System Shock? Hmm, I'll turn an AI into a psychopath on the whim of a power hungry corrupt exec, nothing will go wrong! Cretin. BG2? Sure Yoshimo, join the party, we'll follow you to see your friends, what, you're betraying me? Clown. Fallout? Sure I'll fetch your waterchip, I'm sure you'll be super grateful Mr Overseer since you ain't by any means an insular domineering git. Doofus. 95% of cinematic fps? Sure, I'll walk into this telegraphed trap, what else am I to do, stand around forever twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to patch intelligence into the plot?

If you give that sort of analysis you're completely missing the point of gaming- there's effectively an infinite supply of games, if you don't like a game that's fine, but you're almost certainly better off just forgetting about it and playing something you do like. I think Oblivion is the worst game I've ever played (oh yes, literally) with the possible exception of the NWN OC. I think I've spent time writing about why I dislike it once in total, as a response to someone who asked me directly why. I didn't like the game, I know Beth wouldn't listen to why I don't like the game and I know lots of people did like it. The only result possible is a pointless back-to-forth trying to convince people that they didn't really like something, they just thought they did.

I could kiss you. It also saves me the trouble of having to reply to the cunning retort a few posts below yours.

Too tired to edit, so dp. All the reapers don't look alike (partial retcon, I guess), harbinger, sovereign and the derelict one just come from the same "class". A popular theory is that the superstructure will eventually be identical, but that remains to be explained by me3.

I could kiss you. It also saves me the trouble of having to reply to the cunning retort

Nothing saves you from responding to that unless you're openly willing to admit that you're more interested in a pissing contest than a discussion.

Ah come on, give it a rest. No need to clutter the thread up with you two being dramatic. It'll detract from the vicious persecution we always lay upon Bioware.

Nothing saves you from responding to that unless you're openly willing to admit that you're more interested in a pissing contest than a discussion.

Ah come on, give it a rest. No need to clutter the thread up with you two being dramatic. It'll detract from the vicious persecution we always lay upon Bioware.

Actually I think he was admitting he was more interested in a pissing contest than a discussion, which is why he is still at it, then asking if Nepenthe was interested in joining him.

In the REAL reason for the thread...the Demo is on the 14th?

Also, this has me a little wary...

http://mashable.com/2012/02/09/mass-effect-3-infilitrator/

ME 3 on the Ipad?

also, I hadn't seen this trailer but it's now on USA...I thought it was interesting with the Female version of Shep. that's good cause my PC playthroughs have used the female version (PS3 has the male).

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2012/02/trailer-park-mass-effect-3/1

Probably all old news to you guys...but nonetheless...back on topic.

Heard about Infiltrator yesterday. Why is that guy a Cerberus operative? I thought we settled on them being the bad guys again.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just hope ME 3 doesn't suck so hard it makes me start to dislike part 2.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.