Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

Fear the Grimdark Reaper

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
692 replies to this topic

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Found this funny piece of marketing http://www.pcgamer.c...st-dlc-spotted/

Apparently there's a DLC called 'From Dust' as well

BobSmith101

BobSmith101

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 303 posts
I hardly ever bother with DLC. I got the PS3 version of ME2 with all the extras and they made the game a joke if you used them. I also tend to play a lot of games rather than the same thing over and over, as such by the time any DLC comes along I've already moved on.
There was some bridging DLC at some point because it's runined my ME2 platinum trophy (its still there but only reads 97% now).

As for paying an extra 10 for some pointless items on release day no thanks.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7094 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
ME2 is actually the only game I've ever bought DLC for. I think it's because there is a natural feel to continuing after the endgame, and I really did want to hear Liara's story. Plus making Arrival basically a prologue for ME3 was pretty brilliant.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Brilliant from a marketing perspective, but I hate it. I've defended DLC as optional for a long while. But when DLC feels like a critical part of understanding the major events, it makes the base game feel incomplete.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6724 posts

I wonder if BW will go further with the fan pandering making ME3 a big orgy?

Also maybe its because I first saw the Chobot picture on /v/ but she really looks like Snooki.....and she probably wants Shnu Shnu

Posted Image

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6984 posts
  • Backer
Must... not.. punch ...monitor...

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Gyah, why man, why ?

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6724 posts
Harvest THAT, Reapers!

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
oh man, that is sooooo appalling. the worst worst worst part is that it took me a full ten seconds to notice the ME3 characters in the back there. they fit right in :(

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3550 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Mmmmm, Jwoww.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Demo better turns everything around, otherwise I'm gonna skip this insult to my good gaming tastes.

And there I thought BioWare wouldn't get changed in the EA assimilation process... Was nice to know you, old BioWare.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
im getting ME3. but if its as disappointing as DA2, then it will be the last game i pay full price for from bioware for a long time

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4912 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Considering that reapers made keepers, which was mentioned in ME1, I don't think there's any kind conflict about them making collectors and enslaving them or reapers enslaving organics in general. They are enslaving organics, because they hate them. Reapers use organics to better themselves. They harvest majority of organics and leave some behind to complete a task or two.

Hmmm, weren't the keepers actually robotics, instead of organic. Or do I miss-remember here?

The relay was for strategic purpose. The whole thing about how proteans fell, you know, taking down the Citadel in one swoop stuff, the reason why keepers were made... Time was a just a slight bonus if anything.

Not really. It was made pretty clear the only way the Reapers could arrive fast was this way, otherwise it would take them a loooong looong time. But apparently that changed for ME2. Which, as already been stated, makes Sovereign's plan a little stupid. Why risk so much when you can wait 10 years and just take everything by force?

TIM was part of different sect of Cerberus than the ones Shepard met in ME1. While they have same goals, they have different ways to achieve them.

As also already stated, Tim was the Cerberus boss. And doesn't really seem the terrorist leader ME1 made Cerberus out to be. They were pretty much an additional baddy that seemed to be added in late-time. If they were so essential to the ME-plot for part II, why not more consideration in their implentation.
Which gives me more fear there was no over-arching plan for ME and they just make up stuff as they go. Not good for a trilogy based on story-telling.

Council never believed in reapers in ME1. While it is stupid, there's no conflict in this between ME1 and ME2.

Except at the end of #1 one appears. The only one in known galaxy space sure (retconned with the derelict reaper in ME2).

What I took from your post was that every time ME2 did something you deemed silly or whatever you put fingers in your ears and went "naa naa naa I can't hear you" when Bio explained the silly thing.

Except they didn't. And stuff got sillier as the game progresses. By the time the endboss appeared I was really going "WTF BioWare? What where you guys thinking?"
The 'choice' and ending scene just made stuff even worse.

When plot is as non-existant as it was in ME2, I actually expect it to be somewhat right. And match the premises set up in the first game. Why the heck is it a trilogy otherwise? They never explained their "silly thing"...
Perhaps I should have tried nanana-ing though, would have made it more fun not having to deal with retconning everything I learned from ME1 and thus losing any plot progression I was hoping for.
And don't even get me started on "bullets are better than infinite firing guns which do a little overheating". That's so insanely silly... (and heck, that's there explenation) it blows a mind...

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9733 posts
Am I going to regret googling 'Jersey Shore'?

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7094 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Am I going to regret googling 'Jersey Shore'?

I'm not sure a google search will really convey the full magnitude of Jersey Shore on US culture.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9215 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
They certainly found a way to make that new female character ugly as sin. And I thought Miranda's troll face was bad.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts

Does it really matter whether or not the Collectors could have successfully attacked Earth? They showed they were quite capable of hitting the fringe/colony worlds, and would keep doing so. That's still a rather large swathe of humanity, and I'm pretty sure that Shephard and co were quite frantic over that alone. I mean, remember overhearing some of the crew talking. They had family in those colonies, which is one reason some of them were so motivated.

A valid point, but I must ask again - if BioWare never intended the Collectors to be a legitimate threat to alliance space, why do so many of the characters constantly act as if they are? Lines about how they're going to attack Earth are the most grevious examples, but there are plenty of others. The game seems to constantly remind you that Humanity is in danger, when clearly that isn't the case.

The fact that human colonies were getting disapeared like that was also having political knock-on effects with the Alliance. They were getting stressed the Council was ignoring the issue, and the other races would see it as Alliance weakness and maneuver for more political benefits. The problem of what the Collectors were doing needed to be solved regardless of whether they could have mounted a successful threat against Earth or not.

Well, that's questionable - as the Collector plan (making a human reaper) would never have worked unless they could target Earth, its really not clear that much needed to be done at all, unless somehow Shepard is convinced that human colonies in the Terminus systems are crucial to the well-being of the galaxy. It's a fairly minor issue, and again, the game doesn't present it as a matter of saving fringe colonies, it presents it as a matter of stopping the reapers. This seems much more like an oversight than an intended feature. If this is the only motivation, what need is there for a suicide mission?

You've been brought back from the dead after two years, you get shown this pattern of attacks and destroyed colonies. You get given data about a mysterious, race that seems to have very advanced tech. And then you find out that the Collectors were the very people that blew up the Normandy in the first place.

You go talk to Anderson and the Council, and they pretty much ignore you and tell you that your visions of Protheans and Reapers from the first game aren't real and they don't believe you. Anderson believes you, but can't actually help you in any real manner. Then later you find out he wasn't sure he could trust you and sent a member of your old crew out "undercover" to find out if Cerberus was behind the missing colonies.. The only people willing to give you resources to look into and potentially deal with the problem are a group you don't like and can't really trust. What are you going to do, walk away and ignore the situation? Or use the resources you can and prepare a backup plan?

I can tell you what I don't do - I don't go gather a bunch of squadmates and solve their personal issues, because that's just about the most nonsensical form of preparation for the "suicide mission" that I could possibly think of. Keep in mind, a lot of the reason that Anderson and the systems alliance weren't willing to help you is because you agreed to work for Cerberus in the first place. Doesn't make much sense.

At what point did Shephard and Co know that they only had the one ship? Sure, they encountered the same ship several times, but for all they knew, the Collectors might have had a full armada at their home of origin. Until they had definite knowledge, they have to act as if there might be a big fleet and a serious threat there...

This would be a great motivation to spend your efforts on gathering intel rather than squadmates. All of your preparations for the suicide mission would have been completely worthless against an enemy with a proper fleet (or even proper defenses for their only base). So, if you're arguing that not only was the Collector thread intended to be small, but that Shepard & Co. were intended to be too thick to realize that the Collector threat was small, then essentially they only succeed due to pure, unadulterated serendipity, as their preparations are completely and utterly moronic given the possible nature of the threat they'd have to face.

So, essentially, not only do you have a foe who aren't a major threat to alliance space and who could not fulfill what is ostensibly their main plan (building a human reaper), you have a protagonist who does not realize this but still proceeds to only make preparations that would be useful when this is the case. I'd say this makes precious little sense.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think that Walters said on Twitter that the Collectors have more ships. Which could easily make them a more credible threat to Earth. But the game did imply that one single ship had enough pods to go after earth. Why would one ship have so many pods if they were to bring multiple ships? And if they have so many ships, was destroying a single Collector base and a single Collector ship much of an accomplishment?

But yeah, they are kind of making it up as they go along. I think they stated as much in an interview. Is that bad? Many of us will think so. It's not ideal. It definitely doesn't seem unusual, though.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9733 posts

But yeah, they are kind of making it up as they go along. I think they stated as much in an interview. Is that bad? Many of us will think so. It's not ideal. It definitely doesn't seem unusual, though.

I think one problem may be that people, intentionally or not, equates The Smoking Man (sorry, just too many similarities to X-Files to not think of him) with Biowares writers and takes his words as the writers intentions.

If I look at isolated incidents, I see gaps and holes in the story, but if I take two steps back and look at the big picture, I see a relatively simple story. TIM is lying through his teeth to manipulate Shepard into doing his biddng to the best of his ability. Collectors, to the player, never really comes across as a major military threat, limiting themselves to hit and run attacks and on top of that, seems happy for the time being to target only human colonies in that frontier space section that seems to be *not* under Alliance jurisdiction. On the contrary, I got the feeling that they (the colonies) didn't like the Alliance and outright resented Soldier Girl (what's her name you seem to know from the past) for being there and trying to put up some planetary defences.

Maybe TIM has a suspicion that they are not a threat in a head on confrontation, but may be a strategic threat because their motives are unknown. Never saw that knee before it hit your crotch etc. They could have been building genetically engineered virus bombs for all we know.

So, he picks up a resourceful guy from the freezer, puts him in the defrost program and instills some angst and sense of impending doom in him and sends him off to do the hard and dirty work, maybe even surviving in the process.

Did anybody ever really verify that Earth was the target or was that just mentioned in passing by somebody impressed by the sheer size of the shelf space in the collector ship?

Maybe they had a plan to lure the Alliance fleet away from Earth and forgot to leave notes lying about with an exposition on their plans for world domination?

Honestly, I don't (or didn't) play Bioware games for their plots. Never cared much for saving Imoen either.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts
I mean, yes, that interpretation works, but only if you accept then that essentially everyone in the game other than TIM is a complete ****ing moron. Not only for not seeing that the Collectors are a non-threat and being easily manipulated, but because the steps they take to prepare to combat what they obviously perceive to be a big threat are complete nonsense. This is why I have a hard time believing that this was BioWare's intention. It seems to me far more likely that the Collectors were just thrown together as a clumsy way to link together a game which is composed of largely unrelated character-oriented missions - it really doesn't feel like much serious thought was put into making the whole thing come together in any coherent way (evidenced by the completely contrived "loyalty" mechanic, among other things).

Edited by Oblarg, 08 February 2012 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users