What you did today

Rosbjerg

Wait, they can't get much internet in Antarctica? Well there goes my dreams.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's a very good point, and one I've talked with my wife about. I just want her to be aware of this a bit more, so that I don't drive the whole family out to see her and then she decides not to perform. It's also a question of money, should we shell out for dance classes when she doesn't ever perform? I'm not sure.

Hm, one thing you might want to consider Hurl, does she enjoy the dancing itself, but not the idea of performing? If so, then carrying on the dance class, but not worrying about going to performances might be a thing. Dance can be good on its own, just for the general sense of kinesthesia it can bring to your own body and as long as it isn't hard core ballet.. it'll be some physical good in its own right.

I guess it's that balance of finding out if its just a severe case of shyness and stage fright or a genuine dislike of performance..

On to other things, I had a fun night. Somehow I kept up ending in positions that made an arm go numb/dead. So I'd keep waking up to find I was having serious pins and needles as feelings were returning to my arm...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hey everyone I'm going to be gone from the board for a time. Everything is ok, but I've got an opportunity to do some work in a very, lets say unusual place. Somewhere where internet connectivity figures to be hard to find. I'll be able to tell the whole story when I get back. Until then all of you be good and don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Why are they sending you to Buffalo ?!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I find children to be like electricity, they will always take the path of least resistance. IMO, its the parents responsibility to nudge the child forward and with my daughter, Ill happiply finance any activity with the understanding that shes to see it through from A to Z. Of course, I never had pushback like you are describing Hurl, so I understand its probably difficult to address when shes standing there crying in front of everyone.

Purely for the benefit of my fevered imagination I'm going to suggest he's been posted to the Playboy mansion.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I never had pushback like you are describing Hurl, so I understand its probably difficult to address when shes standing there crying in front of everyone.

The funny thing is she was crying more about the fact I wouldn't get her something from the snack shack than anything else :p

Both you and Raithe bring up good points. After talking it over with my wife, we plan on keeping her in the classes and seeing if it will work to give her the option of opting out of any performances. She isn't even 5 years old yet (even though she occasionally acts like a little grown up) so we will wait a few years before we really start pushing the performance issue with her. As Gfted mentioned, it's important to be able to follow things through from A to Z. With dance and cheer, it is also a matter of other kids relying on her to show up. When she bails on a dance number, it can affect the whole performance. She has a alot of trouble seeing that at this age, but it's something I plan on continuing to work on.

Turned 31 yesterday. Kind of hoped I'd be a doctor by now, but looks like I'm going to overshoot it by a few months. Been making me depressed these past few years, really shouldn't.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Realize I'm not really cut out for management, too much time and effort spent documenting meeting minutes, summarizing issues in a particular format for three different higher ups. Busy day, but glad I got one of those at least, gets the blood pumping.

Congratulations on living one year longer, Nepenthe, by the way.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Give me one month. I think. What year is it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Happy Birthday Nepenthe!

I wonder if we have more folks in their 30's and older here than we do in their 20's? I think it's probably getting close.

Aren't we kind of a doughnut split? Under twenties and over thirties?

EDIT:

Having a 'charge of the light brigade moment', as I just confirmed that the girl I am intending to woo this valentines has worked as a fashion model. I mean I know she's gorgeous, but I can't possibly stand a chance when you put it like that.

Where the hell is Shryke when you need him?

I've no intention of running away, naturally, but, well, you can't approach romance like you can some rocky ridge. Or can you?

Anyone else throwing themselves at a forlorn hope this Tuesday?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thanks guys.

Annoying day at work. The economist thing isn't going that well, but she still threw a small office cake party today so had to go there. Absurdly good looking woman.

Also had a meeting with the representatives of the companies I lobby for. One of them bitched about everything, while the other ones were silent. Kind of kills my mood for doing unpaid overtime for them.

Now, a weekend of dissertation writing. Want to have this thing done before ME3.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Last day before a 4 day weekend. Have no real games to play, might grab Jagged Alliance or one of the GOG games and give that a whirl. Glad to be away from my project at work, it's not pleasant dealing with people and you keep finding yourself fantasizing about killing them with your fountain pen or similar things. My partner on the project hates it as well, albeit in a less angry manner.

I guess this is why people take up drinking or stress relieving hobbies though, that should be a plan for the weekend as well.

I'm not sure, but think I just got away with being asleep in my office. I was slouched in my chair, butt forward enough that my head was held up by the top of the backrest, with my back to the (open) office door, and a wall-of-text pdf on my computer screen. Not the most attentive of postures for the workplace, but it's plausible that I could have been reading.

Boss-of-my-boss comes by, sticks head in the door, and says "Have a good weekend, [Enoch]." I pulled out of my dozing state to say "Oh, goodnight [bob]" while turning slightly, just quickly enough that I could reasonably have been distracted and surprised, rather than actually asleep.

(On the other hand, it could be that he realized what I was up to and decided to be nice, given that it's after 5 on a Friday.)

Anyhow, the resulting adrenaline rush was served to rouse be thoroughly. I'm lucky that my screensaver hadn't engaged. I should set it to wait longer before switching on. Also, lunchtime enormo-burrito means high risk of afternoon food coma.

• Like 2

Got to make up Question & Answer Challenges to battle SPAM-BOTS!

What date is the Big Cheese's birthday? Any Obsidian fan would know. A bot would be very unlikely to guess it ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

:grin:

It's going to be a random pick of a question from a selection of questions?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Heh, throwing out papers and assorted junk got me recalling the procedure we went through when leaving home for Canada. Just got all private papers, assorted wooden furniture and other stuff and piled it up on the big asphalt area in front of the house, lit a torch and just burned it all up.

Finished cleaning up, now off to a friends for dinner, will get an authentic lasagna, woo.