Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What you did today

or some other day..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
504 replies to this topic

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6089 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Bokishi is one year older, today. Happy Brithday!

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1500 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Happy birthday you fat hutt!

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2747 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Birthday salutations then.

Really didn't feel like getting out of bed today.. But the sun is shining, it seems summer is breaking out here..,
The dogs are being all needy and playful. Couldn't even finish my first cup of tea in peace.

Updated my antivirus software, told it to do a "quick scan" and then it spent 20 minutes doing that.. and my system pretty much slowed down to the pace of a dead cow with broken ankles for the entire duration. >_<

If I'm not careful, I'm going to turn into a "grumpy old man" a few decades early..

GASH505

GASH505

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:GASH505
Working then back to my stories(games)

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7216 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Just got back form a school trip to Yosemite. I'm exhausted, and now I need to go replace the microwave that broke while I was away.

It was an interesting trip though. On day one a student disclocated her knee cross country skiing. We had to carry her on a stretcher through about 200 yards of knee deep snow. Her father was a chaperone, so he took her to the hospital. Then I lost another chaperone that day because a death in the family. It left us pretty short handed for the trip, but luckily the rest was smooth sailing.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5624 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Slept ten hours. Feel groggy as hell. :)

What a week. Next week is either going to be legendary or it's going to be a disaster. There is an outside chance I may have to resign my job because I disagree with policy. Good to have to put your money where your mouth is occasionally!

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3853 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Didnt win $640 million last night. Back to the salt mine on Monday. :(

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3576 posts
I don't think people understand just how miniscule the chance of winning really is.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1500 posts
It's because the numbers get so big that people can't put into perspective and because we're raised on movies and books and human interest stories where the one in a million chances crop up ninety nine percent of the time.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7216 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also when the jackpot is really large, a near miss is still a very sizable win.

It's really just fun escapism to play the lottery though, for a few bucks you can daydream about what it would be like to be instantly rich.
  • Walsingham likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3576 posts
How about daydreaming that you played the lottery, that's free. Or playing something that turns into a game of skills if you do it enough times. Like blackjack or poker.

Edited by Gorgon, 31 March 2012 - 06:59 AM.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1500 posts
The former doesn't play into the "hope" aspect and the latter is too much effort and hard work as opposed to the escapism from effort and hard work that a lottery works for.

I get what you're saying, I too think playing the lottery is a waste of money because the likelyhood of returns is just very, very small, but it does offer something besides that.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7216 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Typically when I daydream about poker or blackjack, I eventually drift back to the reality that it is a very easy way to lose a lot of money fast. The lottery is such a small risk for a very large reward.

edit: Oh, lottery profits help education, so technically I benefit from the few dollars I might spend on tickets :)

Edited by Hurlshot, 31 March 2012 - 07:36 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3853 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think people understand just how miniscule the chance of winning really is.

The odds are astronomical, 1 in 176 million, but somebodys eventually going to win (three winning tickets in this case). So a mere five dollar investment buys you the chance for instant retirement.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3576 posts
Fell asleep, dreamt I was at a reception celebrating the end of WW2. Goebbels and Goering were there, in back and white filmgrain as you remember them from the clips. Everything else in color, except the potato mash. There was a guy who came up to the front desk and kept nagging them for heroine, but he wasn't allowed because his previous dose had'nt run out. I stole rather a lot of coins and a little antique keyring with a swastika on it from the lost and found drawer.

The potato mash was tasteless, but everything else was delicious.

Edited by Gorgon, 31 March 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 10878 posts
Having a cup of tea before going for a 15k run. Sun is shining away here & it's awesome!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Backer
I took the dogs back to Jackson yesterday. The house is so quiet without them. It feels wrong. I'm packing up today and heading back south of the border on Sunday. I'll see you guys when I get home next month.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7216 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I took the dogs back to Jackson yesterday. The house is so quiet without them. It feels wrong. I'm packing up today and heading back south of the border on Sunday. I'll see you guys when I get home next month.

Take care GD.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5387 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hope you packed ammo and knives.

Fionavar

Fionavar