Obsidian's Secret Project

Nines

Marketing failed badly on AP. Sega focused too much on the word ACTION in their marketing when the game plays more like a RPG than a action-rpg. Had the shooting mechanics been like the ones Obsidian wanted I think a lot more people would have made it past Saudi-Arabia. Graphics wise, there's nothing wrong with AP, except the few occasional UE bugs. It's solid, not great, but it gets the job done.

Didn't they do some heavy marketing near release that focused on how "Your weapon is choice", and such? Don't get me wrong, SEGA's treatment of the title could have been better, but even with that, Alpha Protocol is just a game with such pronounced highs and lows that it's difficult for me to believe that it would have a wide audience.

28 Reviews

5 star:

(6) 4 star:

(9) 3 star:

(6) 2 star:

(3) 1 star:

(4)

Just dragged it of Amazon.

This review pretty much sums it up

When I first started playing this game, I have to say I was not very impressed. The graphics were average when compared to other PS3 titles such as Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, the story moved along quite slowly for me in the first chapter and the shooting mechanics seemed absolutely awful.

I rented this title and even though I was tempted to return it after playing for an hour or so, my advice is to persevere with it because I actually became really engaged by this game after playing a couple of levels. I totally understand why some people have given this game such poor reviews, but I think they made their minds up in the first hour of gameplay and haven't perhaps given this game a chance.

If not for the Obsidian logo I'd have probably slung it during the "tutorial". For people who are not aware of the quality of Obsidians character/writing they probably did just that in droves.

There was also this old article about the mixed reception AP got in Eu and US. I think makes some good points about what kinds of people it appealed to and where the it stood at the time (and I guess stands still).

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Didn't they do some heavy marketing near release that focused on how "Your weapon is choice", and such? Don't get me wrong, SEGA's treatment of the title could have been better, but even with that, Alpha Protocol is just a game with such pronounced highs and lows that it's difficult for me to believe that it would have a wide audience.

They did, but I don't think it pointed out how RPG the game would feel. People were expecting shooting mechanics from ME2 and did not get it. Would it have sold millions if it had been released earlier? Doubt it, but it would have not been killed by the comparison to ME2. Not to mention some of the reviewers were clearly expecting that the game would have improved from the last time they saw the game. With smarter treatment it would have found it's audience a lot better. If you look at random gaming communities you can see how many people bought it for really cheap from Steam and were pleasantly surprised.

Hate the living, love the dead.

OT: from Jason Fader's twitter (he is currently working as lead producer on Sawyer's project)

Jonathan Brown: Stop producing. There must be games to play.

Jason Fader: There sure are, but I take on more work for myself so my producers can go out and play. *glares @acpspiffer (Alvin Nelson)*

Jason Fader: As annoying as bugs are, working with your team to eradicate a super tricky one is VERY satisfying! Well done, Nick! :-D

There was also this old article about the mixed reception AP got in Eu and US. I think makes some good points about what kinds of people it appealed to and where the it stood at the time (and I guess stands still).

After re-reading this, I find it a bit funny how I'm not American and so can't appretiate the US military commentary the narrative offers, yet the real yankies apparently couldn't either.

OT: Designer Brian Heins returns (He was the lead level designer for the cancelled Project New Jersey/Seven Dwarves)

Brian Heins

Current

Senior Designer at Obsidian Entertainment

Past

Zone Lead at Carbine Studios

Lead Level Designer at Propaganda Games

Senior Designer at Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment

Senior Designer at Secret Level

Senior Designer at Obsidian Entertainment

Senior Mission Designer at Rockstar Vancouver

Designer at Electronic Arts

Designer at Westwood Studios

Edited by funcroc
  • Like 1

OT: http://www.ianimate....nstructors.html (from ex-OEI lead animator Richard Arroyo's twitter)

Kien Tran

With over 10 years experience in animation, Kien graduated from Montreal's Interdec College back in 2000. Starting off as an animator on Fred the Caveman TV series and then moved into Films to work on Spy kids 2 and Pinocchio 3000. Kien then made a bold move into cinematic at Ubisoft Montreal where he worked on Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia and Rainbow Six and after working In-game at A2M better known today as Behavior just to name a few. With Obsidian Entertainment looking for animators in 2008, Kien finally found himself in southern California having completed Dungeon Siege 3 and is currently working on an unannounced project.

Senior programmer Adam Brennecke's LinkedIn profile updated

For the past seven years I've been a game, tools and engine programmer at Obsidian Entertainment,and I'm now currently working on an unannounced project as a senior game play programmer. I've also acted as the Project Director of Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun where my responsibilities included lead team management and project wide decision making.

I've worked on these games at Obsidian Entertainment:

Project Directing Credits:

Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun (DLC 2011)

Programming Credits:

Project North Carolina (Code Name, Unannounced)

Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun (DLC 2011)

Dungeon Siege III for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC (2011)

Aliens RPG for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC (Canceled 2009)

Neverwinter Nights 2 for PC (2006)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for Xbox and PC (2004)

Additional Programming Credits:

Fallout: New Vegas for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC (2010)

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir for PC (2008)

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer for PC (2007)

Specialties

Animation, Combat Systems, Character Control, Camera Systems, General Gameplay, Game Design, RPG System Design, Team Management, Decision Making.

EDIT: It seems that George Ziets is also working on Project North Carolina.

Edited by funcroc
  • Like 1

Good enough for me. :banana:

I've been longing for a new Obsidian game. I really enjoyed Dungeon Siege III, but it wasn't really super focused on story. South Park might not be the most serious game, but with Avellone involved, I'm happy as can be. I'm also happy that they are working on another game and I'm eager to learn what it is.

Edited by Labadal