Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

Chippy

I never had problems with hit detection and spacing in the demo. Honestly Dark Souls (and the other games you've cited) seem like bizarre comparisons anyway, seeing as they have vastly different design goals. If anything, the accessible-yet-deep combat (and yeah, from what I'm seeing so far, they've accomplished that without problems, better than.. p. much every other RPG developer) seems to be Reckoning's only strong point.

lol, but seriously, the swing and hit animation in amalur was distractingly awful, 4 foot long sword swipes going directly through the opponents chest and only 1 in 4 hits causes them to give a stupid canned stagger animation? puke. at LEAST cover up your awful animations with giant hitsparks or blood splatters or SOMETHING so you can't see how ugly it looks.

the swing animation looks utterly stupid too, a frail waif of a girl holding a 4 foot long, 8 inch wide sword out with arm completely extended swinging it wildly to-and-fro before her like shes threshing wheat? puke.

edit: im not a graphics whore, but if you want to make an action game, you need the action to be fun, and for action to fun it needs to FEEL fun, look at the sword swing and strike animation going back to the legend of zelda ocarina of time, swings FEEL like sword swings, combination of animation, hit animation, hit sparks, slight pauses on hits etc etc etc and that game is 10+ years old! the combat in amalur looks like mmo crap animation shoehorned into a single player game, not acceptable.

amalur looks like amateur hour.

oh yeah, and the camera SUCKS too.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So tried to give the demo a shot, first time, it caused my pc to reboot. Second try the screen was black until I turned post processing off, then after 5 minutes it caused my pc to reboot again.

Those 5 minutes told me the camera was crap and the graphics were average, whether or not there is a good game in there I don't know. Either way I won't find out until it's at a bargin bin price.

At least I got that armour item for ME3.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Nope, you only get it 45 minutes *after the tutorial* into the game...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Nope, you only get it 45 minutes *after the tutorial* into the game...

The ME 3 items unlock after the fight where you first use your fate-unweaving powers. It's right after you leave the tutorial area.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Odd. Just said something about a kingdom of amular item at that point. The ME3 item was after the 45 min was up.

Then again, I wasn't logged in, so got squat anyways :)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

So who is getting this on release date? I'm tempted to, but the reviews in this thread of the demo don't exactly scream its awesomeness.

Not so much release day, but the release week for me. I like to pick up new games on Friday so I can dive into them without cutting into my sleep.

I don't think it will be an awesome game. I think it will be a fun game with actiony combat and an open-world setting.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

So who is getting this on release date? I'm tempted to, but the reviews in this thread of the demo don't exactly scream its awesomeness.

I have it preordered on Steam. I probably can't justify it too deeply, but I'm rather excited for this game.

I'm not sure if it'll be awesome, but I'm comfortable in the belief that it'll be rather good.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I have it preordered on Steam. I probably can't justify it too deeply, but I'm rather excited for this game.

I'm not sure if it'll be awesome, but I'm comfortable in the belief that it'll be rather good.

In your defense let's just say you have nothing else to play.

Whoops.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

if i have nothing else to play in a year, i'll pick it up for $5 on steam sale, just to see if my initial impression was hasty or unfair.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Not so much release day, but the release week for me. I like to pick up new games on Friday so I can dive into them without cutting into my sleep.

I don't think it will be an awesome game. I think it will be a fun game with actiony combat and an open-world setting.

So it's going to be closer to Oblivion than Dragon Age ...?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So, my understanding: the demo sucks.

Has anyone tried the whole game? I've had games where I disliked the demo but then months later (when the game is cheap) I'd try it anyway and the full game is a lot better.

Not that I'll likely get it at full price regardless. But it was one that looked semi-promising, until I read this thread. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, my understanding: the demo sucks.

Has anyone tried the whole game? I've had games where I disliked the demo but then months later (when the game is cheap) I'd try it anyway and the full game is a lot better.

Not that I'll likely get it at full price regardless. But it was one that looked semi-promising, until I read this thread. :)

Diablo was like that; and I did regret not buying it sooner; (after I picked it up at Walmart for $10).

I thought (going in), "How could it (KA) possibly be bad, with McFarlane and Rolsten?". They each have a quarter century in their craft and I liked their work. In hindsight the demo reminds me [strangely] of Hard Reset; (another of those "This is really cool and I'm not going to buy it" kind of a games; of course... not that it resembles it in any way :teehee: .)

Its not bad [iMO], just bland and nothing new; (including the sound issues I experienced, that caused NPC voices to be distant for nearby characters and close for some characters that I'd wandered away from).

Edited by Gizmo

I guess I was hoping it would be something in between Two Worlds & Elder Scrolls, or something. (I've never played Fable). Ah well, lower price & patches I guess, before I try. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

IGN review: 9.0

I knew there was more to it than the demo would suggest. Guess I'll pick this one up instead of Mass Effect 3, which looks like a Gears of War clone with a dialog wheel thrown in.

It's IGN though. And well, looking at their rating box really turns me off their opinion.

Personally, I have no doubt thats its going to be a really good "game". I'm also already sure it's going to have a lot drawbacks too. Will definitly buy it though.

Edited by C2B

IGN review: 9.0

I knew there was more to it than the demo would suggest. Guess I'll pick this one up instead of Mass Effect 3, which looks like a Gears of War clone with a dialog wheel thrown in.

Well that's encouraging, at least.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)