Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts
For all those big names the game looks pretty generic. You could have convinced me I was looking at a Dragon Age conversion or something.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
Where's the demo?

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
360 demo is supposed to be up already. PC demo is not up just yet. Unless it went up in the past hour or so.

Other bit of news is that they'll be able to talk about the Steam release later today according to the Community Manager.

Edit: And the PC demo is up on Origin.

Sannom

Sannom

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Backer
The PC Demo is available on Origin, under the 'Free Games' tab.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1391 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm mildly interested, mostly because the mechanics look fun and the world is big, the rest I'm not so sure about but I'll give that demo a whirl.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Woooo, haaaaaats

Now to cancel my Amazon order in favor of this one. Interesting note, EA games is not publishing the Steam release.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
I'll likely pick up the Steam edition.

As many games as I have on Steam, I'm sure one day the company will go belly up or someone will hack into their servers or aliens will melt Gabe Newell down to make an art sculpture. It's bound to happen.

I wish the demo were available without another program attached. I'm at work, and I'd hope to D/L it to a flash drive so I could play it as soon as I got home.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
im sure it was as steam planned, but after so many holiday sales... my game library is now heavily steam-related, and i'll be in a mighty big pickle if they ever got bought out or shut down, but its gotten so big, i imagine whatever catastrophe would happen would happen gradually enough that most users won't realize they are now doomed members/victims of the steampocalypse

Edited by entrerix, 17 January 2012 - 03:20 PM.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Catastrophe, as if Valve would suddenly go out of business?

Even if they would, they would have to go out of business in an orderly fashion, meaning they'd have to provide a tool/patch/client update that allows you to play all the games you already got downloaded. Plus at least a 1 month warning so you can actually download all the stuff you need before the servers get shutdown.

The more likely outcome though would be that some Chinese IT giant just takes over the remaining assets.

The most likely outcome though would be that Gabe ate the Internets.

Edited by Morgoth, 17 January 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts
Getting back on topic, I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of those try before you buy titles.

Preferably, borrow and try all the way to the end then return and forget about it.

On a related note: do we really need more action RPG's?

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Action RPGs are the new RPGs. What do you mean, "more"?

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm really hoping for the rise of princess dating sim RPGs.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You mean JRPGs?

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i miss good jrpg's, i don't think we'll ever see another jrpg as good as FF6, FF7, chrono trigger or chrono cross ever again

kingdoms of amalur looks exactly like fable - i'm definitely going to want to demo it before buying

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts

Action RPGs are the new RPGs. What do you mean, "more"?

More as in after ME, JE, DA2, KOTOR, Gothic/Risen, Divinity, the upcoming Diablo rehash and every other button mashing action game with levelling you could name

The concept has worn thinner than the sole of a miser's slippers.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8703 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Just tried a fair chunk of the demo. It's very... up and down.

Most importantly, there appears to be the basics for a fun and enjoyable game, though it's unlikely it'll be memorable or innovative in any way. There's a decent enough character development system, a decent array of auxiliary features and things-to-do a la real shops, thieving/pickpocketing/gotojail/etc mechanisms (even attacking friendly characters, though I haven't tried this properly yet), alchemy and reagants, blacksmithing, etc., etc. The combat itself is pretty boring at the moment but at least some of that is due to the tutorialness of the whole thing. The writing is better than I expected (i.e. not terribly boring and retarded), though that's even harder to tell, yet. I don't think it's a Day 1 buy unless I'm really bored, but perhaps later on.

More specifically, combat is the number one since it's an ARPG, right? Your character is pretty responsive, though actually attacking things is not so fluid. I think it will improve once players get more comfortable and you learn more skills and combos - right now as a Level 1 dude you're just smacking left button. Bows are really boring though, as you stay in third person view where you can't aim anything and you simply autotarget. I've never seen the point of that, from memory Div2 did this too and it didn't work there either. A lot is going to depend on just how dynamic the combat gets once you get some levels and have more options. The enemies are far too weak and far too stupid (mainly lumbering around really slowly), but you can only play Normal and it is the tutorial, so that's not conclusive. There appear to be some interesting features - i.e. some kind of special state you enter into when you take enough damage (or do enough?), essentially the same as TW2 but from earlier levels.

The writing seemed to have enough there for me not to start skipping stuff, yet. Voice acting is a bit up and down, and equally, the writing slips between rather well composed lines and awkward ones, almost as if the script is still in draft stage or something. The concept of being revived and having no predetermined fate is cool, but who knows where it will go from there. It's hard to tell how lively towns are and how many quests you get, though... I was trying out thieving, got sent to jail, got caught escaping and died, before I could really look into the town. It's also impossible to tell how big/open the world is yet - the tutorial dungeon was obviously a series of corridors.

The visuals aren't as terrible as I thought from the videos, but again.. I have no idea how to put the finger on this, it feels really weird. Technically speaking, the game looks dated by several years; washed out textures, etc. I don't really care about that so much, but here that combines oddly with (1) there's clearly some sort of HDR/Bloom going on in here, but it looks different from Oblivion's superbloom; (2) they tend to go for really bright, really distinct colours; (3) characters get a very crisp, even leathery/plasticky, kind of treatment while the rest, especially the ground, is a washout of bloomy bright colours. So everything just doesn't look stable, and it doesn't help that your character skates around the ground as well. So I guess a kind of washed out Disney fantasy land. But I was a lot more impressed once I left the opening dungeon and came outside - it's still washed out and bright, but with more space it manages to achieve a more coherent and better looking landscape.

The UI/usability is pretty terrible. It has 'blocky' turning, similar to problems some people had with Alpha Protocol's mouse smoothing, where you don't really turn/rotate camear smoothly, it goes in big blocks, and so you're always swiveling around. Combine that with the fact that although you can move the camera, really, there's only one camera angle that's playable - it's much worse than Dungeon Siege 3, where you could at least choose from 2 views. Here you can't zoom out to any degree, and essentially you have to play in the KOTOR-view to see anything. Sometimes the game zooms out the camera a bit for you, but only when it wants to. So restrictive close-up camera + lurchy turning + washy visuals = not good. Moving on, the interface is OK. Looks-wise it looks pretty bad, mainly black background and white text and it just feels like someone forgot to make half of the UI; you need to click a lot of buttons to get to some things (Menu -> Inventory -> Primary Weapons -> Equip); but for the most part it won't get in the way, and works fine.

All in all rather mixed, I'll probably wait for impressions once it comes out. I guess big plus is that it seems to have a solid core that it might build on, and the big minus is that it's pretty clunky and the blurry bright mess is sometimes hard to look at.

Chippy

Chippy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
THanks for that detailed first impression, I might just wait for this title to go down in price before a purchase. I certainly wont be installing Origins to play a demo.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8703 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You can get it through Steam. It still wanted me to log into the EA crap, but I discovered you can just opt-out and play anyway (something they don't tell you unless you actually try to exit the window. Idiots.)

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I liked it. The big negative for me is that the sound is really weak. I was afraid of that back in the preview videos and it looks like it carried forward. Rocks falling all around in the intro and they sound like they're always in the distance, even if hitting right next to you. Monsters don't sound impressive.

Combat was fun enough for me, but I don't think I'm used to it yet. Can not dodge as I'd like to. Only made it to level 2 before it crashed. But I probably only had a few minutes left of demo time anyway. Plot didn't really catch me. Neither did the setting. But I didn't really see much of it in the short time I had. Visited only two dungeons, a tutorial boss, saw one small town of three buildings. The customization options look good for character builds.

It's very action oriented. If you don't work on dodge or block timings, you will get creamed.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
I like it. It was exactly what I expect it to be save for the sound being a bit off. The tutorial character is behind you several times while you're running around the first dungeon and I had to swing my camera around to understand him when he started talking. There was also a time when I was in a fight with dramatic fight music playing, right afterward, a character began a conversation with me. The dramatic fight music boomed and blasted while he spoke, drowning out his words.

It's very action oriented. If you don't work on dodge or block timings, you will get creamed.

I went Might, got a Smoldering Longsword, and sliced my way through everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users