Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

Chippy

Thanks , I will try the demo and I am reeling for a good old style crpg but since the main selling points of this game were RA Salvatore and Todd I was doubtful

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thanks , I will try the demo and I am reeling for a good old style crpg but since the main selling points of this game were RA Salvatore and Todd I was doubtful

You can see their mark on the project, but it thankfully isn't overwhelming or overdone.

OH GOD, WHY IS EVERYTHING TRYING TO KILL ME

or

How I learned to stop worrying and to run like hell.

I've only kind of started. About a half hour of work. My first objective was to run to the Dokkalfar city of Rathir. I figured I would go for an easy target. Plan was to try passing through the Warsworn base in the mountain. Apparently it doesn't work that way. That is not a shortcut.

Arrived at Rathir. No problem whatsoever. Headed south for the desert. Again not a problem. Wolves are the only thing that can keep up with your running. Now the desert had a couple of problems. Enemy mages are like Alligators. Zig zag. I lost a life to learn that trick. Made it all the way to Adessa.

Free house!

The one problem here is I didn't think about how to make it to the other side. Looking at the map again, the port is back up at Rathir. So I'm going to have to backtrack.

How bad are the enemies? I'm level 19, never stepped out of Dalentarth before this. I encountered nothing orange. Everything is yellow. And as I said earlier, the only thing that can keep up and overcome your sprint is Wolves. Mages are also trouble.

Edit: Forgot about fast travel. Fast traveled back to Rathir. Go to the boat and the guy won't go. Guess it won't be available until I do a quest. Probably main quest. So that's the end of this particular journey.

ACowardsJourney.jpg

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I must be underleveled I've come across a lot of orange stuff (like Ettins and Trolls). Nothing red yet , though I have not made the the grand journey to the North to the sea. I probably need to do some of those side quests (I've just been collecting them and fast travel points). I'm only around level 14/15 but I've been lucky and come across some sorcery boost items.

So far my take on the skills.

Alchemy is godly its fairly straightforward to work out the base recipes and there is a potion for each skill in case you need a boost.

Lockpicking don't need any points as long as you have a delicate touch you can feel it out (and picks are cheap).

Dispelling is a pain but the wards wont kill from full health and alchemy sorts out any ill effects.

Detect Hidden 1 point is essential I think the other depends on the build although being able to see lore stones etc would be nice it's a big point investment.

Blacksmith - I'm a mage so I never took this, I'd really like some input on this one

Persuade - usual stuff better rewards/alternate solutions

Sagecraft - Depends on what you find with slots. Epic gems look rather fun but I'm not at that level yet.

Merchantile- I've got over 100k and no real need/desire to buy anything so I can't see the point of this one

Stealth - not much use in my build

I may have missed a couple, but thats my take on the ones I can remember.

So were 10 pages of pissing on the game pre-release worth a damn or did it turn out that this isn't such a bad game?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

So were 10 pages of pissing on the game pre-release worth a damn or did it turn out that this isn't such a bad game?

Arcade adventure meets sandbox RPG. It's a blend I personally like , but people used to more "hands off" RPGs rather than direct input might struggle or be put off.

So far I can't find anything wrong with it that would not come down to personal taste. After DA2 I had fairly low expectations for anything from EA but this has exceeded them by a wide margin.

I don't exactly like EA either, but not for the reasons that were perpetrated in the past.

http://en.wikipedia..../Origin_Systems

http://en.wikipedia....estwood_Studios

http://en.wikipedia....andemic_Studios

http://en.wikipedia....rog_Productions

Some people do not forgive or forget. Don't see anything in the future that would cause dislike.

On topic will wait a few months and get this cheap, not worth taking the risk of it not working. Shame doesn't sound half bad.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I don't exactly like EA either, but not for the reasons that were perpetrated in the past.

http://en.wikipedia..../Origin_Systems

http://en.wikipedia....estwood_Studios

http://en.wikipedia....andemic_Studios

http://en.wikipedia....rog_Productions

Some people do not forgive or forget. Don't see anything in the future that would cause dislike.

On topic will wait a few months and get this cheap, not worth taking the risk of it not working. Shame doesn't sound half bad.

I don't really care about that stuff. My stance is based purely on my experience of other games from EA. It's why I don't pre-order anything they publish and always buy it somewhere it's easy to return. Thus far though , nothing but good things to say about KOA :)

EA is also not a person, so holding some grudge for their business practices twenty years ago seems a bit odd. Particularly since they don't even have the same upper management. I have my concerns about EA today, but I actually consider them the least worrisome of the large publishers at this stage. I save most of my disdain for Ubisoft :)

Why are you worried about it not working Bos? It seems pretty stable so far. Running the demo should be a pretty easy check for that.

EA is also not a person, so holding some grudge for their business practices twenty years ago seems a bit odd. Particularly since they don't even have the same upper management. I have my concerns about EA today, but I actually consider them the least worrisome of the large publishers at this stage. I save most of my disdain for Ubisoft :)

Why are you worried about it not working Bos? It seems pretty stable so far. Running the demo should be a pretty easy check for that.

Demo was a black screen, I thought the entire intro was just voices until I realized the intro had finished. Got it working by turning off post-processing, only to have it crash, loaded it back up only to have it cause my computer to restart after another 5 minutes. I'm hoping after a few months, the dev or amd/ati will have released patches to fix the problem.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I finally tried the demo, very buggy overall. I also think it's another one of the made for console games that simply got shoved off to PC in hopes to make a few more bucks but without spending tons of effort.

The game actually seems intriguing though from the Demo...sort of has almost a Planescape vibe at parts.

I finally tried the demo, very buggy overall. I also think it's another one of the made for console games that simply got shoved off to PC in hopes to make a few more bucks but without spending tons of effort.

The game actually seems intriguing though from the Demo...sort of has almost a Planescape vibe at parts.

Kind of....Can't really say anything on the plot without giving something away.

I think the enjoyment comes down to two things.

1. Do you like the combat system

2. Do you like brighlty coloured worlds over the shades of brown.

There are a lot of side quests and they don't really add anything (besides money/items xp). The exceptions are the faction quests which have interesting stories behind them and are also very well done.There are exceptions though one of which rewards you with a house quite early on whjich is nice to have. But there are other ways to get a house so it's not essential.

I'd say your looking at a 15-20 "investment" hours before everything starts to come together. That's why I highlighted those 2 key points.

I've been playing it since last friday on and off. I've gave up doing every side quest (as I had to a certain point) now I just do the ones my character likes the look of. That means I'm making more plot progress and more faction quest progress , which I think is where the real fun is.

It's really not a fault of KOA I think the same is true of all sandbox games.

If you play a mage "Meteor" will make you go Muuhaawhaa whenever you use it. It's totally over the top and makes the 70 points getting there totally worth it.

Edited by BobSmith101

• 2 months later...