Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2830 posts
bump for great justice!

Edited by sorophx, 10 January 2012 - 10:12 AM.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1052 posts
Arrows of Detonation...oh boy!!!

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5584 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You can't survive for ever. I'm here... waiting... just waiting....

MrBrown

MrBrown

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 442 posts
"Gorpel Hind" certainly sounds like TSR.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1052 posts
bumping it along

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Apologies, hope to have an update tomorrowish re. Candlekeep.

I will likely forego all remaining BG sidequests (there aren't that many), and instead try and cover some of the TOTSC stuff. Certainly, we will hit Durlag's Tower.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9694 posts
I still have nightmares about those pesky dwarf guardians in the tower.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer
I've never actually been through Durlag's Tower. >_>

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1703 posts

*gasp*

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 12 January 2012 - 12:11 AM.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

*gasp*

I didn't own TotSC until I picked up digital copies of all the IE games on GoG when they were on sale a while back and my only BG1 run since then has been stalled for about 8 months now. I did swing past the tower and immediately got my butt handed to me so I figured I'd stop in later, but haven't been back yet.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
In the similar boat as Deraldin, never been to Durlag's Tower. Don't own TOTSC. I "own" Baldur's Gate in that I bought it years ago, but recently I can't find it. :( I've got BG2+Throne of Bhaal though. No Tutu for me (or is it BGTrilogy now?).

I'm thinking of buying that anthology set thing, but other things have kept coming up.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have highly unpleasant memories from Durlag's Tower and the werewolf shipwreck. Let's hope I won't have to live them vicariously. :(

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

In the similar boat as Deraldin, never been to Durlag's Tower. Don't own TOTSC. I "own" Baldur's Gate in that I bought it years ago, but recently I can't find it. :( I've got BG2+Throne of Bhaal though. No Tutu for me (or is it BGTrilogy now?).

I'm thinking of buying that anthology set thing, but other things have kept coming up.

Tutu and Trilogy are two separate mods though both do more or less the same thing. I think with Trilogy you don't have to fiddle around with your character saves in order to move from 1 to 2 though. It's just done automatically after you beat Sarevok.

Horred the Plague

Horred the Plague

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Tutu and Trilogy are two separate mods though both do more or less the same thing. I think with Trilogy you don't have to fiddle around with your character saves in order to move from 1 to 2 though. It's just done automatically after you beat Sarevok.

Yes, transition between BG1 and BG2 are seamless with the BGT mod, whereas w/ TuTu you have to manually switch characters and start a new game. Also, BGT has a far greater compatibility spread with other mods, and a greater range of mods made for it. I think it's the superior option, and not just because I helped work on it yrs ago. NTM the name of TuTu always had me envisioning Orcs in pink ballet tights (not the best image).

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I stick with Tutu, as last time I tried, Trilogy introduced terrible slowdowns halfway through SOA. My new comp might be OK, but Tutu works well enough, as these days I'm pretty set on the 30-40 mods I use. And in this case, I'll use as little as possible.

But yes, if you want the big phat experience, BGT or even BGT+BP is the way to go.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2209 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have highly unpleasant memories from Durlag's Tower and the werewolf shipwreck.

Same here. I found the gameplay elements emphasized by TotSC to be predominantly tedious. Way too much "creep forward 5 feet a at time and wait to detect traps," punctuated by an occasional "encounter difficult enough to more-or-less require cheese tactics." I've never gone more than 2 or 3 levels into the dungeony portion.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
So there's a good chance there's going to be a few deaths? *hopeful*

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
9. In This Chapter, Stuff Happens

Posted Image
Our former home demands a Great Bribe for re-entry. It's a sound policy, in that each visitor allows them to accrue more and more books, and thus forego sending out scholars of their own.

Oner: It's fascism, that's what it is. The bourgeoisie just want to keep the common folk from the wisdom of the ancients!

That's.... not what fascism is, man.

Oner: Oh, I know. They're communist, too. Bastards.

I blame the education system, really.

Posted Image
The inside of candlekeep is probably one of the best looking interiors in the game. Good light sources, and some objects even cast preset shadows (like the bench by the entrance)! Everyone we talk to tell us something fishy is going on with the Iron Throne visitors, however.

Posted Image
A good man called Koveras sees fit to warn us about the dangers ahead.

Tale: Did he actually expect us not to notice? I mean, he still talks in that DEEP BOOMING VOICE.
Sorophyx: Villain Soundpack #2.
Tale: What's #1?

Posted Image
Sorophyx: One day, I'll laugh just like him. *swoon*

Posted Image
Now, the real reason for our visiting Candlekeep - an audience with the leaders of the Iron Throne, including Rieltar, the head honcho. I've actually never understood this part of the plot; OK, so you find some fishy documents in the Iron Throne HQ about their involvement in the iron crisis, you know Sarevok is somehow involved with them and after you. But, uh, obviously we don't have enough evidence to formally convict them (or we could do that without coming here), and there seems to be no mechanism for us to try and FIND any incriminating evidence, say, by eavesdropping on their meetings. In fact, why they're even here is unclear - Sarevok is clearly looking up texts by Alaundo on the Bhaalspawn, but that's probably him making the best of the trip.

In any case, we really only have two options; kill them in our QUEST FOR GREAT JUSTICE and get thrown in jail, or ignore them in our Lawful Goodness, get falsely accused and get thrown in jail anyway. Since Tale is technically Lawful Good, we'll just make do with a terrifying parting remark.

Tale: I'll be back!

Yeah, that.

Sorophyx:Wait, you're saying we have some bags of phat loot here that will die no matter what we do, and we'll go to jail no matter what we do, and we're NOT looting them?
Tale: We can't kill them, we don't even have an arrest warrant.
Sorophyx: Dude, screw this. You can't tell me what to do, you have less HP than a ripe banana.

Posted Image
Sorophyx: FOR XP!
Oner: FOR XP!

Posted Image
Oh, uh.. these guys are a bit tougher than I expected. That's No.2 for you, Sorophyx.

Sorophyx: But.... my XP!

Sorry. More for the rest of us, I guess.

Posted Image
No matter how sneakily we kill them, we're soon found out and apprehended by the Watchers. I mean, how sneakily can you slaughter five people in a library, anyway?

Posted Image
Ulraunt vents the frustration of not having a single line until now by pronouncing the most horrifying of judgments:

Ulraunt: YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS WILL BE PUNISHED IN THE MOST SEVERE FORM!

I'm guessing that means no dessert AND an early bedtime.

Posted Image
Seconds after Ulraunt leaves, Tethtoril comes and teleports us to the Candlekeep catacombs. If this were an Advanced RPG ™ we would be left with a single lockpick to sneak our way out, but no, we'll just kill some undead. :decline:

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
The first level of the catacombs decides to do some loot balancing by providing various trapped tombs with goodies. Tale finally reads a tome of strength so taht she can carry more than 15 pounds, and also learns some fourth level spells she can't even cast yet.

Posted Image
Dopplegangers appear to be the main asset for the Iron Throne's seedier parts. They try to tell us that Gorion didn't really die, he was just magically poisoned into pretend-dead, and nobody told us because they didn't want us to cry.

It's frightening to think that just a few years later, this kind of stuff actually becomes the main storyline...

Posted Image
The Greater Doppleganger in particular is powerful; while he has a mirror image up he can damage us, and cast spells like hold person and confusion. Still, by this point we are pretty well equipped.

Posted Image
Greylord relives the first moment of his Badassery with a spare potion of mirrored eyes.

Greylord: This is how it all began. Me, Potion, and XP. *sniff*

Posted Image
And thus we make a rather uneventful escape from Candlekeep. We're meant to be ambushed by 4 ogre magi, but they never turned up - I think that's a SCS component we didn't get. Before returning to Baldur's Gate, though, it's time for us to begin the Tales of the Sword Coast content. We're terribly underleveled for some reason (~50k XP, ~45 for Deraldin & Nepenthe), perhaps because we missed a few things, but we sport enough phat loot to handle the challenge... I think.

First, we are confronted by Shandalar, whose home Sorophyx had robbed totally without anyone noticing.

Sorophyx: Exactly, so how does he know we stole his crap?

We're all on rails, my friend.

Posted Image
He uses his terrifying magic to send us to the Ice Island, instead of, I don't know, destroying us all. Our mission is to find his cloak, because they had a party here last week and he left most of his clothes behind. *wink wink*

Posted Image
The place is full of trapped and insane wizards. We have the metagaming foresight to send only Greylord (in the corridor, hardly visible) ahead to trigger conversation, with Sorophyx invisible behind the Green mage. This should be quick..

Posted Image
Or not. I think Sorophyx hit a mirror image (the pause-lag means I couldn't stab immediately), and the 1 damage was only the extra ice damage, or something. Doesn't make much sense to me, either.

Posted Image
With the initial move not working out, we retreat and summon some undead. Unfortunately, someone there has a wand of summon monsters, too...

Posted Image
...and he's not afraid to use it, clearly. Deraldin fires a dispel magic to try and neutralize wizards' buffs but can't get to any of them.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
The monsters are all low level, and we manage to create a pile of flesh and blood before long. More problematic are the wizards; our only real option is to charge them head-on, now.

Posted Image
Which we do, with great effect. The place is filled with traps, and for some reason the enemy mage didn't set it off.

Posted Image
Mage 1 falls as Sorophyx finally gets it right.

Posted Image
But the other mage seems to be the one with the wand, as he summons more critters to annoy us. He has shield, mirror image, globe of invulnerability, and protection from normal missiles, making him pretty invulnerable at the moment.

Posted Image
In fact, after about ten turns, we've yet to make a dent on him, and now he's starting to run out of spells, he's firing all the low level ones. Tale is in hiding after taking an acid arrow to the face; it deals more than half of her entire HP each turn in acid damage, so she's pretty much overdosing on healing potions to stay alive. Sorophyx is in a similar situation.

Posted Image
And now Greylord, too. We're going to run out of potions soon.

Posted Image
Thankfully, he ran out of spells before anybody died, and eventually, his protections ran out - I think it took us 30 turns or so to get him down. That's what happens without 4th/5th level spells, kids.

Posted Image
I was all puffed up for the grand finale against the Ogre Mage, but I forgot - Unfinished Business restores a second level to the Ice Island. It's kind of disappointing, actually. The last level of the Candlekeep catacombs is reskinned, and the Ogre Mage is nowhere to be found - instead is this guy, who packs a lot of high level spells and controls some bears.

Posted Image
It's just a pity he doesn't have a lot of health.

Posted Image
Shandalar is ever so grateful for getting his cloak back. It's what gets all the ladies' knickers in a twist, you know.

Deraldin: It's flamin' pink.

Hey, what do you know about fashion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users