Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Another mage decides to detect Sorophyx, but the hobbos on this level are not much of a challenge.

Posted Image
And so, without further ado, we reach the bottom of the Cloakwood Mines. We make sure to get a bit of rest, buff up the party, and even quaff a few strength potions. The upcoming fight will be either very easy or fatal, depending on how Davaeorn decides to act. I haven't played without SCS's Improved Davaeorn for a while, so I'm not sure how it will pan out. We found a scroll of Haste in the mines, by the way, so Tale finally has a second useful spell!

Posted Image
Sorophyx rushes down to initiate battle.

Posted Image
Then runs back. Davaeorn teleports away somewhere, but of more immediate threat is the two battle horrors. They do a lot of damage, and I mean a lot. We use the wand of monster summoning to complement the skeletons. We try firing some Arrows of Biting and even Piercing, but they do no damage; without +2 arrows, it looks like Greylord is going to be entirely useless.

Greylord: Can't win every fight for you guys.
Tale: Don't you have a melee weapon?
Greylord: I have an axe.
Tale: An axe of what?
Greylord: A standard issue, 1d6 axe.
Tale: Oh.

Posted Image
Without Greylord, we'll have to make do with the melee fighters. Oner and Nepenthe move in to hopefully score some hits before the fodder die out, but trigger some kind of trap that nearly kills Tale.

Tale: Okay, I'm going to participate in this battle from about 20m away.
Nepenthe: What? But you have to help us! Cast some spells, or something!
Tale: You want me to cast fireball?
Deraldin: Here, me and Sorophyx will join in melee, too, just lure them back a little bit.
Nepenthe: Alright. Come on, Oner-

Posted Image
Battle Horrors, they be strong.

Nepenthe: What? I was at full HP like two turns ago!

Sorry.

Posted Image
Deraldin can cast lightning twice a day now, due to his Priest of Talosship, but obviously it's risky to do it in here. With Oner and Nepenthe out of the way he can now fire one, and manages to kill the first battle horror. (Sorophyx' trap fired, too.)

Deraldin: Booya. You watching, Nep? I'm so badass!
Nepenthe: I'm dead!

Posted Image
It rebounds at a nice angle to hit the second one, but he's still got a bulk of his HP remaining. Now it's gonna get ugly.

Posted Image
Tale sneaks back into the room and casts a magic missile, and ends up summoning some monsters. Thankfully, they're friendly, and actually help us against the battle horror. Still, it's slow to fall.

Deraldin: You know, me and my Flail +1 isn't doing a lot to this guy. Maybe I should stand back and...

Posted Image
Woops. Deraldin gets hit just as he's about to finish the healing spell. I feel like I could have avoided at least one of the deaths without the pause-lag, but as it is it's hard to maneuvre various characters finely enough.

Deraldin: You just hate clerics.

Look, I'm sorry! Once this is over I'll buy you something nice, ok?

Deraldin: Well... fine. But it better be real nice!

It'll make you swoon with delight. Now shut up and let me win this thing.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Deciding that the risk is too great, Tale pops back out and fires the last charge on the wand of frost, finally expending it. It was good knowing ya. After a couple more hits, the second battle horror too goes down.

Posted Image
Of course, in case you've forgotten, we were meant to be fighting Davaeorn. For some reason he had teleported himself to a random corner and did nothing in particular. Our objective now is to bum-rush him and get him down before he can do a lot. Sorophyx fails to backstab, and he puts up a globe of invulnerability; and of course, without Deraldin, we can't cast Dispel Magic. We'll have to hope he doesn't have stoneskin or the like...

Greylord: Too much talk, Tig. Watch and Learn.

Posted Image
Oh... right. Okay, or you could just kill him in a single turn.

Greylord: I am a beast.

Posted Image
And so ends our adventures in Cloakwood. Carrying two dead bodies up several floors, we make sure to stop by and flood the entire place, denying the Iron Throne further profits from its operations. We sort of assume the slaves made it out.

Posted Image
And two quick raise deads later, we are finally at the entrance to Baldur's Gate. That counted as Nep's first and Deraldin's second deaths, so we're still OK for now. It would be hell to carry a Level 1 character at this stage of the game.

Tale: Uh... what's with this place? The water's all green.
Oner: And now you see the vile consequences of civilization and feudal economies! All the pollutants from the decadent city-dwellers have turned the very water unto a sickly green. Hierarchical government structures not only breed repression of the people, but of nature itself!

Actually, it's just a graphics bug. I never got round to applying the fix.

Oner: More capitalist LIES.
Tale: But what about this drawbridge? It seems to be raised, but I can still cross it!
Nepenthe: I wonder what they do when there's an enemy invasion.
Tale: Maybe it's an elaborate trap. You know. You think you can't cross... but... YOU CAN!
Sorophyx: How the hell is that a trap?
Tale: I guess they didn't teach you reverse psychology where they grew up.
Sorophyx: You talk a lot of smack for having 11 HP, bunny dude.

Posted Image
We introduce ourselves politely to the Flaming Fist, the security corporation in charge of, uh, security.

Oner: More example of the privatization of public services at work.

Posted Image
Here's a full shot of the entrance to Baldur's Gate. We again meet Elminster, who talks some faffle. They could have done without him entirely in the trilogy, really. I think he helps you exactly ONCE, by... marking somewhere on your map.

Posted Image
Anyway, the real game-changer in Baldur's Gate is all the shops. We've said up a fair bit of cash in the meantime, and now is the time to invest. Tale buys up some useful 3rd and 4th level spell scrolls, and we also invest in a bag of holding. We buy a fully charged Wand of the Heavens for Deraldin as well.

Deraldin: Wait, this is what I get for getting myself killed?

What, you're not satisfied?

Deraldin: No, no. I'm just thinking it's a pity I can't die any more times.

Posted Image
Time to pick up some quests. I'm not sure how to handle the gazillion quests the city has for the LP, but we'll try and keep it manageable. Our first job is given by a fidgety, excited fellow called Brevlik.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Love this guy.We don't even know why he wants the telescope; seems like he just wants to do it for the lulz. In fact, he bears all the hallmarks of the original...

http://www.platformn...ogy-525x393.jpg
It all began with medieval telescope thievery.

Posted Image
We also check out the Thieves' guild. Note the fifth option for the entry password.

Posted Image
There, we are approached by one Narlen Darkwalk, who can't quite figure out whether he's a thief or a pirate. Nevertheless, we arrange to rendezvous at night for some good ol' thievery.

Posted Image
Finally, we'll also accept a task to infiltrate Shandolar's mansion and steal some magical thingamagickies.

Next time, shenanigans in Baldur's Gate!

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

Posted Image
Woops. Deraldin gets hit just as he's about to finish the healing spell. I feel like I could have avoided at least one of the deaths without the pause-lag, but as it is it's hard to maneuvre various characters finely enough.

You know, if you had leveled me up after I killed that battle horror, I might have survived that next hit. :p

But it did get me a wand of heavens. <3

Edited by Deraldin, 07 January 2012 - 03:45 PM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3908 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

ok, we hesitate to share, but what the heck.

when we were at Cal in the late 80's, there were a quasi-popular punk lesbian band in town called "The Flaming Fist." gives the name a different spin for us.

HA! Good Fun!

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

Posted Image

You know, if you had leveled me up after I killed that battle horror, I might have survived that next hit. :p

But it did get me a wand of heavens. <3

Are you swooning with delight now?

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

Are you swooning with delight now?

You know what would really make me swoon with delight? Surviving until I can cast raise dead. :p

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Is that Hareishan the same as that one vampire we murder in BG2?

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oner: Uh, there's a massive big hole in the ground like thirty metres to the left of your farm, man. Did you never think there might be a connection betwen that and your missing son?
Brun: No, of course not. Why would my son want to enter a big hole in the ground?
Oner: Well, your wife has been dead for some time, right?
Brun: Uh, yes. Why's that relevant?
Oner: Well, you see, the earth is traditionally related to the matriarch in premodern religions and myths, including ours. Your son may have been suffering from longing for a mother figure, or, psychologically speaking, a desire to re-enter and re-claim the mother and female in response to this lack. A gaping hole in the earth is therefore an indexical sign of a-

Dude! Family friendly forum.

>_< :lol: :lol:

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4365 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nepenthe: Come on! Here, say it with me...

http://i219.photobuc...tsol/Sparta.gif

I don't think that movie helps your case, Nep.

Dude, two words: Lena Headey.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hey, i never saw the actual movie. :p

I noticed that Hareishan is the name of one of Bohdi's vampires, as well, and it is worth considering. Irenicus and Bohdi were clearly monitoring the Bhaalspawn & Sarevok during the events of BG1, and it's not too outlandish to suggest Bohdi did some corpse shopping. It's a nice little trivia.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9696 posts

when we were at Cal in the late 80's, there were a quasi-popular punk lesbian band in town called "The Flaming Fist." gives the name a different spin for us.

HA! Good Fun!

:p

No lesbian punk bands, but I got the impression from the D&D setting, that "flaming" was sometimes used as a mild swear word. I can't remember where I got the impression from though.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

HA! Good Fun!

:shifty:

No lesbian punk bands, but I got the impression from the D&D setting, that "flaming" was sometimes used as a mild swear word. I can't remember where I got the impression from though.

What would ever give you that flaming idea?

I don't think it's a flaming swear word. I flaming tell you, it's not!

Edit: Unless you're a flaming fist...then maybe it's a connotation of a flaming swear word. I know...sensitive...so don't go flaming me over it...

Edited by greylord, 09 January 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
8. City Life

In a city, you are never alone. In a city, someone is always watching. And if you are the watcher, rather than the watched, there is no shortage of opportunities, and no shortage of victims. I am a creature of the night. I am silent and deadly, and also handsome and like a fox. I. am. THIEF.

Posted Image

Sorophyx: A creature of the night, silent and deadly. I. AM. THIEF!
Deraldin: Never took him for a bloody larper, but there's one in every party.

Posted Image

I rendezvous with my local contact, the first step to spreading the terror of Sorophyx down the Sword Coast. While lacking in thiefish good looks and charm in comparison, he will serve as a useful source of jobs.

Narlen: You'll spy the road while Rededge an I plunder within. Be on yer cautions, and yell the warnin' if ye see the soldierman!

Wait, what?

Posted Image

Disgraceful! How dare they reduce me to mere watchdog! Don't they realize that I AM THIEF?

Flaming Fist: It's awful late to be out and about citizen. Why are you not at rest?
Sorophyx: I, uh... I...
Flaming Fist: You best answer me now, short one, before I take you in for loitering!
Sorophyx: THE JIG IS UP! MAKE FER THE DARK!
Flaming Fist: Wha- hey! STOP THIEF!

Posted Image
Hmph. Although the local cads did not recognize my unmatchable talent, they owe their lives this night to my extraordinary wit and fleet of foot. Now, I can work alone on the real jobs without being weighed down by incompetence. The home of Shandalar shall serve as my first real prey.

Posted Image
Who's the thief? Who's the thief? THATS RIGHT. BOO YA. I mean, OK, they had no guards, locks or traps here, but hey, not everyone can rob a completely undefended mansion!

Posted Image
But why stop there, huh? Why not burgle the hall of wonders, too? Why not-

Alora: HEYA!
Sorophyx: Dude!
Alora: Aww nutbunnies, caught again! Hey wait, you're not a guard! HEY, YOU'RE A THIEF TOO! IM HERE TO STEAL STUFF AS WELL, YOU WANNA BE FRIENDS?
Sorophyx: No, I-
Alora: Oh, never mind, you look kind of clumsy, and if I'm caught again they'll have me clean out noblemen's latrines for another year. BUT HEY IT WAS GOOD KNOWING YA HOPE YOU DON'T GET CAUGHT BYE!
Sorophyx: ...

Posted Image
OK, alright. Alright. This won't do. My reputation as THE THIEF is at stake. I need to pull off something big here, something really challenging. And the only job truly worth the time of THE THIEF is the biggest of them all; the mansion of Duke Entar Silvershield.

Posted Image
Oh, nutbunnies.

Sorophyx: Who saw me, anyway?
Cook: I SEE YOU, THIEF, STEALING SOMETHING IN THE OTHER ROOM!
Sorophyx: That's ridiculous! There's a five feet thick wall between us!
Cook: Someone doesn't know his fog of war rules. Don't you know that light bounces at a perpendicular angle in tight spaces?
Sorophyx: That's ridiculous!
Cook: Fine. In that case, I have infra-red vision.
Sorophyx: But...
Cook: GUARDS!

Posted Image
I don't believe this.

Posted Image
Alright, alright. That didn't go so well. But at least some of the jobs worked out, right? It's time for THE THIEF to collect his dirty money, baby!

Narlen: 'ere there, good fortune ye return to us! We've 300 gold to divvy.
Sorophyx: No way. THE THIEF HUNGERS FOR TRUE LOOT.
Narlen: Dude, don't weird out on me now. Alright, we could go for another heist. A gem merchant. Should be a bit more profitable.

Fortune smiles on THE THIEF tonight, indeed.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Oh, nutbunnies. Who traps their valuable stash of gems and jewelry?!

Posted Image
The sound rouses the merchant, but THE THIEF is once again quick to defuse a potentially fatal situation with intelligence and charm.

Posted Image
A rogue stone nets us a tidy profit for THE THIEF tonight. We'll round up by reporting our success at Shandalar's to the locals...

Resar: I offer my sorrows, but you must die!

Oh, come on. What are you, the Godfather?

Posted Image
Luckily, our previous heists with Narlen has made us a chum, and chums don't let other chums get bummed by other chums of said chum.

Posted Image
The heroics of the mysterious THE THIEF behind us, we engage in some more sidequestery during the daytime. The mage Ramazith commissions us to recover a certain nymph from a rival mage, hopelessly in love. We all know you're just in it for her hot, smokin' body, Ragefast.

Deraldin: Hubbah hubbah. Come on, Tale. We should just keep her! On a leash.
Nepenthe: We can't do that! That's cruel!
Deraldin: Is it, Nep? Is it? What could be more cruel than to deny our natural needs, to deny ourselves as men, to deny what our souls cry out for every moment of our lives?
Nepenthe: Um... actually, I'm not that desperate, man. I think I'm alright.
Deraldin: Oh. But...
Nepenthe: You might need some help, though.

Posted Image
Ramazith isn't particularly pleased we lost his hubba bubba.

Posted Image
We climb his tower, each level full of rather annoying monsters like kobold commandos and slimes.

Posted Image
Soon, Sorophyx spies Ramazith. He's got his back to the wall to ward off possible backstabs, but we can still...

Posted Image
Sorophyx: SIDESTAB, BABY.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
A second later, Greylord pops up from the staircase and fires an arrow in his face. (Actually, given that damage, he could have one-shotted Ramazith all on his own.)

Greylord: Nerf me, nerf me now, ooh yeah.

Posted Image
We stop by an inn for some rest, but are accosted by perhaps the strangest NPC in Baldur's Gate. Are they based on some P&P lore?

Posted Image
The Maulers of the Undermountain, no longer able to stomach their crazy talk, decides to attack us too.

Posted Image
These guys are actually pretty powerful, and we can't take chances even with Hind and the Merry Fools on our side. We open with a Silence, though it doesn't hit the mage in the middle.

Posted Image
Someone scrapes Tale on the toe as they run past, so she has to take cover to avoid being chunked or something. Deraldin too retreats to quaff some potions. Luckily, Tale is able to use the wand of paralysis to good effect on the two melee fighters in the cneter of the screen.

Tale: Come on, man. My toe really hurts!

Posted Image
Taking tavern brawls to a whole new level.

Posted Image
The mage proves troublesome, taking 4 of our party out from the fight with a single spell. Feeling the heat, we decide to use another wand...

Posted Image
Death by wild dogs.

Posted Image
But the real reason for visiting the inn; the Helm of Balduran, hidden in the recesses of a painting! We will also retrieve the Cloak in due time.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
And finally, it's time for the Plot ™. We've been asked by the Flaming Fist to look into suspicious activities at the Seven Suns.

Sorophyx: Leave this to me, guys.
Tale: What? Why?
Sorophyx: Investigations call for discretion, not for six adventurers lumbering around. This requires the delicate touch of THE-
Oner: Okay, okay, stop with the screaming. Go and get yourself killed by liches or something, I'm going to go have a panini.
Nepenthe: Ham for me.

Unfortunately, Sorophyx's first efforts at diplomacy fall flat.

Sorophyx: No tour? :(

Posted Image
But in the basement, we find a doppleganger! Only greater dopplegangers cast spells in BG1, so we're okay.

Posted Image
Sorophyx made a little joke, and now Jhasso won't talk to us anymore, and it broke the quest - we tried killing all the merchants but we still didn't get all the clues. I eventually had to reload and make Sorophyx play nice.

Sorophyx: We could have tortured him for real to get the information, you know.

I told you before. Blue circles beneath their feet = no touchy. Unless they have big shinies.

Posted Image
I feel obligated to report the sighting of the greatest Heroe of the Land, Tiax.

Posted Image
Bioware will never be able to top this. Top notch writing. There is wit, there is pathos, there is... *sob*

Posted Image
Tale: The Seven Suns turned out to be full of dopplegangers.
Scar: You have done very well! Now, I have another job you may be interested in...
Tale: Actually, can we get on with the Iron Throne business? If we do any more sidequests today we're going to go nuts.
Scar: Oh, alright then. Meet me outside the Flaming Fist barracks.
Tale: But... this is the Flaming Fist barracks.
Scar: Yes. Meet me outside.
Tale: The door's right there. Why do we have to go outside?
Scar: Meet. Me. Outside.

Posted Image
Tale: Okay, we're outside. Can we talk now?
Scar: Of course. Duke Eltan himself wishes to speak to you about this. Will you come with me?
Tale: What... okay, fine. Where is Duke Eltan?
Scar: Inside the Flaming FIst barracks. Just follow me.

Posted Image

Posted Image
It turns out that Duke Eltan just wanted to tell us to go infiltrate the Iron Throne compound. THANKS, BUREAUCRAT. Like the Seven Suns, this will require all the tricks up our sleeves not to be exposed...

Oner: Hey, dude. Here's 200 gold pieces, how about you just let us in?
Guard: Let's see that gold.
Oner: Here ya go.
Guard: Good. Now. We don't take bribes! Get out of here before we thrash you.
Oner: But you just took the bribe!
Guard: No, no I didn't. *smirk*

Oner went into barbarian rage, killed the guard and took back the gold.

Oner: NONE SHALL TOY WITH ONER, THE BARBARIAN!
Deraldin: More freaking larpers.

Posted Image
Beyond several more challenges by inquisitive guards, we reach the top floor of the Iron Throne headquarters.

Zhalimar: Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed! Who dares intrude upon our negotiations?
Deraldin: Another freaking larper. Seriously, who says that? What if I was jsut a servant bringing cookies?
Zhalimar: Yeah, that's happened a few times. Embarrassing.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
We open with a quick shot from Greylord to disrupt a spell, and position Tale out of harm's way. We can see several high level enemies emerge from the fog of war. (I'll note that with full SCS, this battle is well nigh impossible without cheese. The assassin can chunk party members with 50+ damage backstabs, and does so repeatedly using potions of invisibility; not to mention mages casting dire charms, Aasim using wand of heavens, and all that.)

Posted Image
Here, we have a fighting chance. Tale gets off a nice fireball, Deraldin silence.

Posted Image
The melee fighters, Zhalimar in particular, do a lot of damage, but by this point we've saved up a few potions of extra healing and Oner can stay in the front lines. We again use wand of paralysis to good effect; Nepenthe holds the front on the other side of the staircase, leaving Deraldin free to cast various spells in peace.

Posted Image
In the end, everyone survives. We're pretty powerful now, the party reaching Level 6 at this point, and perhaps, will be able to stay intact all the way to Sarevok.

If not, whoever comes in at Level 1 should be in for a wild ride...

Posted Image
We stop to do some extra shopping. Having bought most of what we need, we can indulge in an arrow of slaying, which, if it hits, instantly kills an Ogre Mage, and also ten arrows of detonation.

Posted Image
And finally, we're back where it all started. Candlekeep. Here we shall find the Iron Throne's leaders, and also engage in some delightful area recycling!

Tale: Oh boy!

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer
Woo! We all survived! More importantly, I survived, but good for the rest of you guys as well! Nice job meatshields!

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
"Come on, man. My toe really hurts!"

:(

Ah Tale, you fragile thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users