Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Aaaaand all hell breaks lose. Sarevok has three lieutenants: Tazok (currently being flamestrike'd), a dumb brute, and Angelo / Semaj, pre-buffed mages that can cast 5th level spells and begin invisible. In addition, the central emblem is full of traps - we set off a web trap there already. Everyone starts on Tazok with the msot powerful projectiles possible, while Tale dispels invisibility.

Posted Image
Semaj tries to get away, but soon dies (see combat log), while two more charges of the Wand keeps Sarevok and Tazok at bay. Nepenthe's gotten himself webbed, but nobody's targeting him for now. Sarevok has a very fast movement speed, so we need to make sure he's kept busy for as long as possible.

Posted Image
Tazok too falls, but Angelo, the other mage, enters the scene. A fourth charge of the wand, but Sarevok's pretty much one-shotting these hobbos. (Meanwhile, Pidesco levels up. He is now able to memorize fearsome second level spells like... Mirror Image.)

Posted Image
Time's running out; we've used all five charges of the wand, and Angelo still has protective spells. Tale takes a big risk by casting a wild magic spell, and manages to successfully animate some undead.

Posted Image
This is what we've been looking for. We've saved up ten arrows of dispelling thus far; a successful hit debuffs the target completely.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Without the buffs, Angelo is toast in approximately two seconds.

Posted Image
And now it's everyone on Sarevok. We have no more summons available, but the skeletons, as technically a fifth level spell, prove a little more durable. We cast Greater Malison on Sarevok, but he's still invulnerable to most spells, so now it's all about magic weapons.

Posted Image
Nepenthe is on the brink...

Posted Image
But even as the summons fall, Gorth fires a well-aimed crossbow bolt into Sarevok's face, and he falls to the ground. Pidesco gains half a level from the great bounty of XP that follows.

TrueNeutral: Wait, that's it? We've won? Nobody died?
Nepenthe: I almost died.
Gorth: You don't understand, do you? It's not over.
TrueNeutral: What do you mean? We just killed him!
Gorth: Here's the thing about adventures, my poor, bugged shapeshifter. It's never over. There's always.... a sequel.

Posted Image
Now, for some stats, because that's what all red-blooded Americans like. They're not as comprehensive as they dont' include the dead members, but we see that Tale has eventually accrued a decent number of kills, having largely lived as a pacifist for the first half of the game.
  • Walsingham likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Gorth has done pretty well for coming in so late.

Posted Image
We estimate that 11 of those 12 kills were via wand of the heavens, meaning he would have been just as effective at Level 1.

Posted Image
Poor Sorophyx.

Posted Image
I think the two kills are actually Tazok and Semaj, which is pretty amazing. Clearly, it's not about the levels, it's about the loot.

Posted Image
Nepenthe has done alright for himself, and ends the game as the only tank in the party after the fall of Oner and Walsingham.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, that's it. 16 updates from January 1 to March 9, and the Obsidianites have semi-ironmanned Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast. The survivors will pick up BG2 at some point in the future, though Risen 2 has booked up a fair portion of my life next month. Thanks for watching, and go like us on facebook.

Posted Image
  • Rosbjerg likes this

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8124 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sooo... can I get in on BG2 as a totally amoral priest/cleric?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9694 posts

Instead, we will begin combat, as you can see, by throwing the entire party into the enemy's line of sight, and also limiting ourselves to only 5 uses of the wand. (The wand of paralysis won't work on Sarevok, anyway, AFAIK.) Charge #1 sets us up.

There are days where I have you under suspicion of being Lawful Good... ;)

Poor Sorophyx, 37% of all kills and he bites the bullet just before getting to backstab Sarevok :(

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer
I vote for resurrecting Sorophyx!

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
I thought we'd be dead the momen Sorophyx carked it in the maze.

P.S. My favourite spell IS Cure Light Wounds!

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1052 posts
Though from a while back....

Greylord still ruled!

:disguise:

Soooo, did everyone in the original party basically die along the way? Can't recall if Nepenthe was with us all at the beginning or not? I suppose I could go back and check.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer
Tale is the only original character, being the protagonist and all. I demand my younger brother tag along the next adventure!

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2829 posts
you let me die on purpose, I can feel it! D:

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6009 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I actually kicked all sorts of ass considering I entered the game 5 minutes ago.

Azure79

Azure79

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1501 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I just read this entire thread when I should have been studying. Awesome job.

Have you ever done an Ironman using full SCS? I love SCS but just thinking of doing an Ironman makes me weep.

Put me down for a armorless kensai in BG2. We'll see how long I last. (probably not long)

Edited by Azure79, 10 March 2012 - 04:32 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Calax should come in for Sorophyx, and then Azure next before we start with Generation 2.

To be honest in this playthrough, the second half of the game was pretty easy for the most part. In fact, we could probably have survived with zero deaths if I played slowly and obsessively. Walsingham is the only casualty that came from a major 'boss' battle; otherwise, we smashed through Loup Garou, the demonknight, etc. all pretty well.

But full SCS is a different story- I think ironman is pretty impossible because the pre-buffed mages and enemy potion use alone make them far too powerful. You also end up using a fair amount of cheese like LOS/aggro, wand spamming, etc., which is why I didn't install it all for this LP. Generally due to low-level parties, one of the biggest causes of death in BG1 is disabling spells (Chaos, Emotion, Confusion, Hold Person, etc), and if enemy mages come into battle with Minor Globes of Invulnerability and Mirror Image, they'll always have a chance to get those spells off.

Currently working out how to handle BG2, as I'll probably be without my desktop in my continent-hopping May-August. Hope I can spare some time to get the installation done and make a start, but will also be in Canada next week.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 217 posts
Bumping old thread just to get into party for BG2 walkthrough, hope we will seen it soon!

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's coming.... as soon as Gibberlings 3 forums are back up so I can download the latest version of SCS2 (v21). Does anyone have a copy, or something?

I'm also hopeful the saves transfer will work OK. The lineup that survived BG1, including all the last-minute deaths:
  • Tale, Wild Mage (Level 9)
  • Gorth, Archer (6)
  • TrueNeutral, Shapeshifter (7)
  • Pidesco, Fighter/Illusionist (3/2)
  • Nepenthe, Cavalier (7)
Our waiting list includes:
  • Calax, Some Kind of Cleric, will start the campaign
  • Azure, Kensai
  • And I will now reopen the waiting list for anyone that died along the way. For reference, our BG1 Cemetery:

EPITAPHS:
Rosbjerg, the Bard: Dead by Nimbul the Assassin + Chromatic Orb, Nashkel
Enoch, the Cleric: Dead by Nimbul the Assassin + Magic Missile, Nashkel
Deraldin, the Cleric: Dead by Spiders + Poison, Durlag's Tower
Oner, the Barbarian: Dead by Spiders + Poison, Durlag's Tower
Greylord, the Archer: Dead by Greater Doppleganger + Cone of Cold, Durlag's Tower
Walsingham, the Fighter: Dead by Aec'Letec + Doom, Ulgoth's Beard
Sorophyx, the Thief: Dead by Two Lightning Traps and a Fireball Trap, Maze Underneath the Thieves' Guild

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

It's coming.... as soon as Gibberlings 3 forums are back up so I can download the latest version of SCS2 (v21). Does anyone have a copy, or something?

I'm also hopeful the saves transfer will work OK. The lineup that survived BG1, including all the last-minute deaths:

• Gorth, Archer (6)
  • Nepenthe, Cavalier (7)
  • Azure, Kensai
  • And I will now reopen the waiting list for anyone that died along the way. For reference, our BG1 Cemetery:

EPITAPHS:
Rosbjerg, the Bard: Dead by Nimbul the Assassin + Chromatic Orb, Nashkel
Enoch, the Cleric: Dead by Nimbul the Assassin + Magic Missile, Nashkel
Deraldin, the Cleric: Dead by Spiders + Poison, Durlag's Tower
Oner, the Barbarian: Dead by Spiders + Poison, Durlag's Tower
Greylord, the Archer: Dead by Greater Doppleganger + Cone of Cold, Durlag's Tower
Walsingham, the Fighter: Dead by Aec'Letec + Doom, Ulgoth's Beard
Sorophyx, the Thief: Dead by Two Lightning Traps and a Fireball Trap, Maze Underneath the Thieves' Guild

I'm in!

I should really update my copy of SCS2. The last time I downloaded it was back in v8.

Edited by Deraldin, 17 December 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 217 posts

• Gorth, Archer (6)
  • Nepenthe, Cavalier (7)
  • Azure, Kensai

Great, so put me on waiting list please! Human- Chaotic Neutral - Blade. As I see waiting list is quite big :) not much chance but still a little one :)

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
The chance is bigger than you think. Tigranes managed to slaughter quite a few people. :p If I recall, I have one death left and due to my class and level I'm vaguely expecting not to get out of Irenicus' Dungeon.

Anyway, glad to see you're coming back to this. It was a lot of fun to read about your mad scrambles to keep us alive against all odds.

Edited by TrueNeutral, 18 December 2012 - 02:06 AM.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 217 posts

The chance is bigger than you think. Tigranes managed to slaughter quite a few people. :p If I recall, I have one death left and due to my class and level I'm vaguely expecting not to get out of Irenicus' Dungeon.

Anyway, glad to see you're coming back to this. It was a lot of fun to read about your mad scrambles to keep us alive against all odds.

Haha that would be good for me, but there are still like 7 people in line before me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users