Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

• Please log in to reply
648 replies to this topic

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3230 posts
ha! pwned :skull:

edit: and hooray for the new page!

Edited by sorophx, 04 March 2012 - 05:29 PM.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4030 posts
  • Gold Backer

an arrow in the knee, of course! if that had failed, I would've just kicked the thing in the balls and finished it off with a backstab 8)

I like how you pulled off a 41 damage backstab on the cult archer in the last update only to have the cult assassin one up you not 5 seconds later with a 42 damage backstab to our own archer. :D
  • sorophx likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1514 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Survival! In a way. Revisionist history for the win. So how does this affect the death score?

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6093 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So I'm Baldur's Gate's Cait Sith, now? I kinda like it even though I'm a man holding a cat.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7015 posts
  • Backer
You mean a cat letting a man be his pillow.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Backer
That's it! I'm reinstalling this!

Funny how you won by... wiping, btw. :biggrin:

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5625 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I can't believe you let us all die, you charlatan! You bloody yorkshire terrier! You ... you...

It's a special death spell, you arse! Even I know that! You have to cast thingy and it parboilds the whatsit and we're all fine. Potion of heroism.

Gone. Gone. And never called you a mother****er.
  • Tigranes likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
;(

I thought you'd always have my back, Walsy. Beer-chuggin' proper British character from blighty and a wide-eyed foreigner from the colonies! We were in for Rush Hour, just with a narrower target audience!

(I think Gorth drunk the last pot of heroism for that fight, BTW)

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9842 posts
*Hic!* Me? nooo... :sorcerer:
  • Walsingham and sorophx like this

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2344 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hey, at least you made it past level 1!

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4030 posts
  • Gold Backer

I can't believe you let us all die, you charlatan! You bloody yorkshire terrier! You ... you...

It's a special death spell, you arse! Even I know that! You have to cast thingy and it parboilds the whatsit and we're all fine. Potion of heroism.

Gone. Gone. And never called you a mother****er.

What do you mean you can't believe he let you all die? We already had 5 deaths before you showed up. I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner. :p

Edited by Deraldin, 07 March 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8236 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
*is having fun reading but wishing that the Red Comet could make an appearance magically even if he doesn't know anything about the game.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Next update has been mostly ready, but I'm currently dealing with some personal issues. It will come soon, and set us up for the very final battle with Sarevok. The attention is appreciated.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1514 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
No worries, personal issues take precedence over video games.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7015 posts
  • Backer

No worries, personal issues take precedence over video games.

Since when?
  • Walsingham and Nepenthe like this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
16. Iiiiiiin theee eeeeeeeeeeeeeend

Posted Image
Gorth: We're going after Sarevok now, aren't we?
Tale: We can delay no longer. The enemy awaits. It's time to hit him where it hurts. It's time to bring it on. It's showtime. FOR FREEDOM-
Sorophyx: What happened to him?
Gorth: Too much Mass Effect 3.
Nepenthe: Ooh, that's a wonderful game, that is! A tale of heroes like our one should aspire to!
Gorth: You just want more romances.
Pidesco: Grrrrrrr.
Nepenthe: It's all about emotional storytelling, man.

Posted Image
The Ducal Palace is closely guarded, and only those with formal invitations may enter. We, of course, acquired them from the assassins, Slythe and Krystin. Apparently the masters of ceremony in these parts never thought to write the invitees' names down on the invitations to prevent such accidents.

The remaining Dukes that Sarevok has not had killed or incapacitated, Belt and Liia Jannath, start the whole thing off.

Posted Image
The nobles are rather upset that Duke Entar got done in.

Posted Image
Sarevok's acceptance speech.

Sorophyx: Oh, dude, he's one of those people. You give him a podium and five minutes and he goes on for forty-five.
Gorth: But he's very clear and informative about his new policies and potential conflicts of interest. Aren't you interested in those things?
Sorophyx: Not really. I can't take him seriously with the spiky armour deal.
Gorth: You should judge them on their policies, not their style!
Sorophyx: How can I do that when I haven't been listening?

Posted Image
The procession is interrupted as all the noblemen turn into dopplegangers, obviously planted by Sarevok. Obviously the plan was to kill the remainder of the Dukes and seize control of the city, but I'm not sure why Sarevok would think that is not suspicious. I mean, look, he's not even doing anything. At least wade in and get a black eye, or something.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
We save the Dukes and present Sarevok's diary as evidence of his crimes.

Pidesco: Rawr.

Posted Image
Sarevok decides that's too much trouble and attacks. Clearly, someone at Bioware decided a non-violent ending involving intelligent dialogue about Sarevok's guilt should not be an option. And a good thing too, who wants to solve problems with words?

Posted Image
Sarevok is teleported away before we can really do anything, though, and we must chase him to wherever he's fled. Belt offers to teleport us to the location...

Posted Image
Belt, you suck.

Posted Image
The maze is mostly empty, except a few high-level enemies and traps. (On the right, you see the corpse of a helmed horror we dispatched earlier.) Obviously, all we need to do is scout ahead with Sorophyx and proceed carefully. Except, you can't search for traps and hide in shadows at the same time....

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Sorophyx: Oh, dude, that was two lightning bolts in a row. That really hurts.

Well just drink a potion, and get out of there before the lightning bolt comes back. You'll be fine.

Posted Image
Sorophyx: Son of a-

Posted Image
Dayum.

Tale: He's dead. There's nothing we can do. EXCEPT KICK SOME ALIEN ASS!
Gorth: Seriously, snap out of it.

Posted Image
That was sorophyx' third death, and so we cannot resurrect him according to house rules. Sorophyx was, of course, the only member besides Tale to last the entire campaign, and as the only thief, invaluable in many situations. Because we are so close to the endgame and a level 1 character will be useless, we decide to push on with five.

Posted Image
At the end of the maze is the Undercity; the story goes that Baldur's Gate is built on top of an older city, one that succumbed to some sort of catastrophe. It is here that a temple of Bhaal remains intact, and here Sarevok will make his last stand.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
But before that, a hostile adventuring party awaits us, dispatched by the Iron Throne (the Iron Throne in Baldur's Gate that Sarevok commandeered is just a regional branch) to get rid of Sarevok, us, or both. They are incredibly dangerous, as their leader can fire detonation arrows at a rate of around 2 attacks per turn...

Posted Image
So we pre-empt them with two wands of fireball and a detonation arrow of our own. Sorry, I missed it with the crappy pause, but it takes out their cleric and does hefty damage on the rest.

Posted Image
We run back away from the fireball-spam.

Posted Image
Crap, Tale! Drink potion!

Tale: 'Tis only a flesh wound.

Posted Image
Tale: I LIVE!

Baldur's Gate and instantly healing potions: the real next-gen RPG.
  • Walsingham likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
Outside the temple, we meet Tamoko again. She has a miniscule role in the game itself, but does a pretty good job of showing who she is, why she wants to save Sarevok, and why she must now fight us. Pity the Forgotten Realms lore on Kara'Tur, as far as I know it, is pretty much "OMIGOD SAMURAIS SO KOOL".

Posted Image
Tale decides it would be real useful to explore this area.

Posted Image
Alright, this is it. The big bad. The head honcho. We'll either win, or die, or Tale will die in the first two seconds and we'll reload. This is it.

Posted Image
We spare no expense with potions of heroism and strength, and other buffs. Pidesco is only level 2/2, but has inherited the ring of invisibility and some high-calibre arrows from Sorophyx.

Posted Image
Here are the rules. We don't want to die here, but we don't want to cheese it out, either. It's possible to just abuse the fog of war and spam Wand of Monster Summoning so that Sarevok never lands a hit on you. Instead, we will begin combat, as you can see, by throwing the entire party into the enemy's line of sight, and also limiting ourselves to only 5 uses of the wand. (The wand of paralysis won't work on Sarevok, anyway, AFAIK.) Charge #1 sets us up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users