Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

Tigranes

Keep up the good work. Maybe steal stuff from the big museum?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, need to kill something... fast!... :w00t:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ba-bump

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

"So, are we gonna kill something now?"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13. Cleaning Up

Walsingham: Look, I'm not backing down from this. The pie is the single greatest invention in the world of pastry and I will punch you in the face until you admit it.

Sorophyx: You can punch me, but that won't change the fact that you're stupid and your pies are even stupider.

TrueNeutral: Great. Next he'll say your mom after every freaking sentence-

Tale: Guys! I think we're filming again!

Gorth: I thought we got cut due to low ratings?

Tale: We must be getting government subsidies or something. Come on, back in character.

Nepenthe: But I forgot what my character was, now.

Sorophyx: A loser with an inactive phallus, pretty much.

Nepenthe: Yeah, and you're the bastard everyone hates and eventually dies horribly.

Sorophyx: It's the journey that counts, not the destination.

1.jpg

Because nobody remembers, here's a recap: the Obsidianites somehow survived Durlag's Tower, though they lost half the party in the process. Now fairly high-level Tale, Nepenthe and Sorophyx are carrying low-level Walsingham and Gorth, and totally low-level TrueNeutral as we try and crowd-source some XP for the endgame. I think Wals/Gorth are level 3, and TN level 2 at this point. Yeah. They have like 30 hp between them.

As part of that, here we are in the city of Baldur's Gate, the mysterious questgiver mage that wants Balduran's fabled helm and cloak. The knights on the left are a fair challenge, but even worse are the invisible stalkers that keep popping up to attack the soft underbelly of the party.

2.jpg

Gorth cops it, I believe for the first time. Sadly, the high casualty rate of recent days has inured the party against any outcries of grief.

3.jpg

In the end we resort to Tale running around furiously, waving the wand of paralysis every six seconds and hoping to land some save fails.

4.jpg

It works, and we manage to avoid further deaths. Remember, kids, cheese will get you further than love, intelligence or money.

5.jpg

Usually, there are two options with this quest; return the items only to have the questgiver teleport away and hand us some measly XP/gold, or refuse to complete the quest and fight the mage. Here, we break the RPG mold with a revolutionary third option: procure all the items beforehand then kill the dude for XP.

Yeah, give me a break. Between 3 underleveled characters we've got at least 100,000 experience points to catch up on.

6.jpg

The mage proves just as cheesy as us with insta-spawns of helmed horrors. We open with wand of the heavens and a wand of the paralysis - you can see it has gotten one of the horrors in the first turn, making things easier.

7.jpg

All is going well until the mage throws a confusion spell. Tale, Gorth and TN (who is, you can see, now level 3. Woo.) fail saves.

8.jpg

Gorth starts shooting TN in the face. The latter doesn't even have any armour, being a shapeshifter.

9.jpg

I believe that took a total of two hits. We all gotta go sometime, buddy.

10.jpg

All that done, we take care of a couple of other things in the city, being careful not to be seen by any Flaming Fist guards (who will go hostile and attack us now). Walsingham employs his ol' blighty silver-tongue to avoid a fight with an ogre bounty hunter.

Walsingham: It sort of helped that he thought I was Tale, to begin with.

• Like 1

11.jpg

Finally, we're back at the High Hedge, to pick up a Robe of the Archimagi for Tale. Of course, we don't have the 20k+ that he's demanding, after all our recent expenses.

Tale: Wait, then why did we even come?

Oh, it wasn't my idea...

12.jpg

Sorophyx: BANZAI, CAPITALIST SCUM!

Dude, you told me you can get him in one hit!

Sorophyx: Sorry. He must have munchkin'd his CON score.

13.jpg

Tale lends a helping hand, and Thalantyr expires with no chance of defending himself.

Tale: Wait, what? I didn't do that!

Sorophyx: Ha! You landed the killing blow!

Tale: I didn't- he made me do it! He made me cast magic missile!

Sorophyx: Yes, yes. Now take the bloody robe from his corpse, and EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE!

14.jpg

Tale: Wait, this isn't the robe of the archimagi! It's a standard traveler's robe!

Gorth: One of the mods must have replaced his inventory to prevent griefing. Fascinating.

Sorophyx: Well, that's alright. We still got some XP.

Tale: But now I can't even buy a robe of the archimagi! I'm going to be stuck with positive AC all the way through!

Sorophyx: Oh, who cares? You never do anything anyway.

I should note, by the way, that at late game I don't see the point of having to identify everything, so I dropped some gold on the ground and gave myself 99 identify scrolls. It's an interesting mechanic when you have no gold and few items, but later, it's just a chore.

15.jpg

Anyway. We now have no choice but to return to Ulgoth's Beard; most big pockets of XP have been plundered by now. We are immediately confronted by mysterious cultists that demand the dagger we found on the Death Knight's body in Durlag's Tower.

• Like 1

16.jpg

With Sword Coast Strategems this is an extremely difficult battle. They start with an invisible assassin that could easily chunk most of our party, mages capable of casting confusion and other disabling spells, and of course we cannot pre-buff at all. We take the safe route by having Tale and Sorophyx gulp invisibility potions.

17.jpg

The party then retreats to better ground. This proves sensible; the assassin soon reveals himself with a strong but not fatal hit on Nepenthe, and Sorophyx backstabs her in turn to eliminate the primary chunking threat.

18.jpg

TrueNeutral's call lightning is unfortunately too late and lands on the assassin's corpse, but it will now periodically strike a random enemy, so all is well. More importantly, Tale manages to get in a Greater Malison + Emotion combo to down several enemies.

19.jpg

And in the next turn, slow. Tale's pretty useful now, actually.

20.jpg

Improbably, we get through the entire fight with no losses, though I'd say it is actually more dangerous than the House of Helmed Horrors before.

21.jpg

My original intention was to go straight to the cultists' den and take on Aec'Letec, but we are horribly underleveled and somebody told me to go punch some werewolves. So, we take a blatantly suspicious quest from someone who weirdly oscillates between perfect English and Asian English.

22.jpg

A quick trip to Baldur's Gate to pickpocket the sea charts...

23.jpg

...and some more Captain Obvious foreboding story mechanics. Hey, stick some bloom and ring-a-ding sounds on there and it's a nextgen game already!

24.jpg

May yer bait be most delectable, man.

25.jpg

And so we head towards Mystery Island. These storyboard narrations are nothing special, but the voice acting is quite excellent. The most striking one, of course, is when you exit Irenicus' Dungeon at the beginning of BG2. We'll get there. Someday.

Gorth: Wait, so we're predestined to end up tortured in a dungeon?

TrueNeutral: Well, you always need to start Season 2 with a bang.

26.jpg

Too long, didn't read? You're the reason we have "I want to be a Dragon" now, instead. *fist*

27.jpg

And so here we are, still horribly underleveled, in the island of angry, hasted, regenerating, immune to normal weapons Werewolves. This should go swimmingly.

(Oh wow, I can only post 5 images per post now? THIS CALLS FOR A REVOLUTION)

• Like 1

"Helmed Horror - Critical Hit Averted By Helmet" :)

So, we've gone from being the stuff of legends to becoming violent home invasion thugs. How the mighty have fallen :(

http://i975.photobuc...iea/BGT13/2.jpg

Gorth cops it, I believe for the first time. Sadly, the high casualty rate of recent days has inured the party against any outcries of grief.

Gorth died to the mirror fiend on the last level in Durlag's. He joins Sorophx and Nepenthe on their last lives.

Current Party Death Count:

Gorth, Nepenthe, Sorophx: 2 deaths

TrueNeutral: 1 death

Walsingham: No deaths

Tale: Innumerable

Next up is Pidesco and then we start back at the beginning! Soon I'll be back! And with BG2 spells! AHAHAHA! Too bad evil clerics get the terrible rebuke undead instead of being able to destroy them outright. :(

Edited by Deraldin

I suddenly feel very vulnerable. Anybody got a spare platemail and a scroll of stoneskin I can borrow? :ninja:

I suddenly feel very vulnerable. Anybody got a spare platemail and a scroll of stoneskin I can borrow? :ninja:

I'm starting to feel the whole thread is an excuse for libel, so I'm kind of looking forward to dying by now. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm an archer for effins sake, I shouldn't be anywhere near the front line. If the enemy can shoot back at me, somethings wrong :aiee:

You're going to bad doggie land with a bunch of level 3 characters? With SCS on? Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? :D

At least he's only playing on Core rules. I'm pretty sure that place is actually impossible on insanity. Those werewolves spawn in groups of six and it's not possible to pick them off one at a time. Maybe if I could run down to grab that Quiver of Plenty +1 from Watcher's Keep. >_>

Maybe Shapeshifter was not such a good idea after all. Ten bucks* says that I die twice and get replaced before Gorth, Nepenthe or Sorophx. Either that, or I take revenge on Gorth somehow. He did shoot me in the face.

*Not really.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Maybe Shapeshifter was not such a good idea after all. Ten bucks* says that I die twice and get replaced before Gorth, Nepenthe or Sorophx. Either that, or I take revenge on Gorth somehow. He did shoot me in the face.

*Not really.

Well, you *are* a shapeshifter... maybe I thought you were somebody else :biggrin: