Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Piracy

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hurrah for justice by lynchmob!

kirottu

kirottu

Animeholic

• Members
  • 4121 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It has no purpose and is like fighting against windmills.

Internet.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2122 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I also think it speaks volumes of the stupidity that goes towards blaming piracy for killing the PC game market. It obviously didn't kill the console market, in fact I'd say the console market has gone up in relation to the PC market.

We discussed this before - console piracy is not on the same scale as PC piracy.
And that's largely because it's far more complicated and carries greater consequences.

Actualy, that's not the case, it just shows, how much you do not know about the rest of the world, which is less "civilised" There are lot of profesional console hackers, who even give you warranty and RMA possibilities on thier works in these countries... So for the end-users, there is no consequences for modding the consoles... OFC hackers like this, do not operate in most of the "civilised" world due to the stronger copyright laws, and even if it is legal in some more tech savy countries, there is much lower demand for the service, because the piracy is at much much lower rate there.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2122 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I find this "take downs" highly silly. It has no purpose and is like fighting against windmills.

It has the exact same purpose like fighting piracy with DRM or sueing people or taking down Cloud Services :(

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 874 posts

Actualy, that's not the case, it just shows, how much you do not know about the rest of the world, which is less "civilised"

Now that's quite presumptuous of you.
Unless you have any idea which part of world I live in and what console piracy looks here I'd avoid any such statements.

There are lot of profesional console hackers, who even give you warranty and RMA possibilities on thier works in these countries... So for the end-users, there is no consequences for modding the consoles...

There are always consequences and they will reach end-user through the people doing the cracking.
Having to deal with total online-bans, loss of warranty, console bricking, software updates and media changes simply dose not come free.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2122 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Actualy, that's not the case, it just shows, how much you do not know about the rest of the world, which is less "civilised"

Now that's quite presumptuous of you.
Unless you have any idea which part of world I live in and what console piracy looks here I'd avoid any such statements.

There are lot of profesional console hackers, who even give you warranty and RMA possibilities on thier works in these countries... So for the end-users, there is no consequences for modding the consoles...

There are always consequences and they will reach end-user through the people doing the cracking.
Having to deal with total online-bans, loss of warranty, console bricking, software updates and media changes simply dose not come free.

Actualy every single person who I know, who plays online and is pirating, owns cracked and uncracked console :( Cracked firmware updates are offered as cheap subscription... Anyway, any person who has cracked console and goes online with it, deserves to get Darwin's Award and as soon as possible... And as I said, if there is profi cracker who offers you RMA possibilities, stuff like bricking the console does not concern you in a slighest... Lot of these guys does understand the console in such a degree, that you do not need to get your console to the Sony or Microsoft service... They just repair them... You only need to pay bigger price for modding the console... It's the same service like some companies offer... The more you pay, the longer your warranty is...

EDIT: Just to make it clear... There is no modders who offer warranty on their services in my country, so in that case some of the stuff you are talking about is higly valid.

Edited by Mamoulian War, 21 January 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5009 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well... bought the Star Wars Blu Rays (atlast), just to find out my software can't play it... it can play ANY other blu rays.
Googling found it was due to a new encryption added to the disk. Which requires me to get a $100 software update to play it. Just for these movies.

Sorry, not worth it... your DRM just makes me go back to the store and return the item. Costumer lost. Dammit.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2100 posts
In my experience, movies that were filmed prior to high definition digital cameras don't really gain much with the blue ray transition.
I have the Blade Runner tin box collectors edition DVD and I've seen the same version on Blue Ray as well and there's no real difference between the two.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7292 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have to disagree, my Star Wars Blu-Rays look phenomenal compared to the DVD's.

Hassat, that software issue sounds like a problem with your blu-ray player, not the discs. Is your player network capable? I know both my PS3 and regular Blu-Ray player upgrade their software occasionally, it never costs me anything. Plus new blu-ray players are like $60.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5009 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah, it's the software.
But ALL my other blu-rays run fine, and to upgrade I have to spend $100.
Not going to pay that much (as it's on top of the price of the box itself) for just these movies...

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2122 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes... Spending another 60 USD just to be able to see his rightfully purchased gooods beause of retarded use of DRM is the right solution and I bet, that when every customer uses this solution, some execs get fat bonuses on their payrolls...

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7292 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Can you guys explain how this is a DRM issue? It's sounds more like how newer games require the most recent drivers to run properly. Blu-Ray players need updates occasionally to run the newest discs. It sounds like Hassat has a really old player that doesn't update, maybe a previous generation. He might have trouble playing most new Blu-Ray discs.

Is your player network capable?

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5009 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Because the Star Wars blurays seem the only in existance with this sort of security, giving these issues.
(For recent, HP 7.2 or The Lion King works fine, which are both newer)
It's not like getting a software update, it's more like some games like Just Cause II to require you to use Vista/7. If you have XP then, and *just* one game of that type, and no interest to shell hundreds of dollars for a Windows update... well...

And just to make clear... it's a software player, I try to run it on my PC (since, no TV). The updates for my player are not enough, I need a paid version increase... yay (not)

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5009 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
(double post since I can't edit my post yet :()

For the JC2 example; Except with the difference that the reason it's not working isn't "more recent DX required for the engine" and more "stupidly idiot DRM added"...

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6095 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Aren't the bluray versions of the Star Wars movies terrible, anyway?

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7019 posts
  • Backer

As if that every stopped fans from buying SW stuff.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2100 posts

Aren't most of the Star Wars movies terrible?

:biggrin:

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6095 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
One could successfully argue that.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5485 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Lies, dirty lies. Well ok, I suppose 1 out of 6 being not bad does help your case.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2100 posts

Lies, dirty lies. Well ok, I suppose 1 out of 6 being not bad does help your case.

My victory will be complete with the 3D re-re-re-release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users