Piracy

Rosbjerg

Former thread..

Some of the former points.

Look, this is a thread about piracy. People keep trying to bring DRM into the argument. That isn't necessary. Forget trying to justify piracy.

Pirating doesn't help the cause at all. It just fulfills a selfish desire to play the game.

but how can you talk about piracy without bringing in DRM? at first designed as a tool to combat piracy, today DRM is considered on of the things justifying illegal distribution.

Easy. because one doesn't have to be pro DRM to be anti piracy. Piracy ie. theft is for scumbag piece of crap losers. No matter what.

Fortune favors the bald.

I just bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the installer says that i have to install steam to play it, which i would not like to do. Why can't i not choose to install it? Stop making me want to pirate the very game that i bought, goddammit!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I just bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the installer says that i have to install steam to play it, which i would not like to do. Why can't i not choose to install it? Stop making me want to pirate the very game that i bought, goddammit!

Are you joking or something?

Of course not. I bought Deus Ex to play Deus Ex. I didn't buy it to install Steam. This isn't the first time either that this has happened. I still haven't touched the Orange Box either after i found out that installing Steam was required. Yes, i still haven't played Portal.

Point being is that i feel duped and can now understand the reason why someone would pirate it even if they have a legal copy. Personally, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place if i knew that steam was required. Maybe i just should return the damn thing instead.

//EDIT: No matter, i'll return it for the xbox-version instead.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, it's true.

If Fallout: New Vegas or Dungeon Siege III required Steam, I would have bought them instantly like Alpha Protocol.

Probably regretted it on both instances (poor performance and Steam cloud issues on the first, gameplay on second)... so in some way it's good I am forced to wait for a better price.

Also, Hurlshot... thinking companies take the right lesson from something is hoping that Greece suddenly becomes an AAA-country, all by themselves. Unrealistic.

I mean, even big companies like BioWare can horribly hit the wrong spot by their "user research"... going from DA:O to DA2. And past experiences with DRM additions and lesser buck-for-your-value shows any faith there is faith lost. :thumbsup:

Most just go 'pirates kill the PC' like they always did. Nevermind the consoles always get leaked versions before that. And all my console-playing friends never payed for any of there titles. Like my PC friends and me... :/

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Why not bring DRM into the topic though, it is related and not being laser like focused on the topic isn't exactly required here, heh. Besides, then all we'll have are posts with rageposting about pirates (although funny). Hm, so if someone buys a game and then cracks it, that person still an entitled scumbag to you people ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I get annoyed by all the crap in games. It's like trailers before DVDs _that I own_. I don't pirate games, but if I ever do it will be because some chewing-gum brained simpleton thinks he can squidge adverts all over them.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Hm, so if someone buys a game and then cracks it, that person still an entitled scumbag to you people ? "

Who said anything of the sort? If you boguht the game you have the right to play it. I'm talking about *stealing*?

Don't try to make excuses for thieves.

--------------------

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Are you joking or something?

Of course not. I bought Deus Ex to play Deus Ex. I didn't buy it to install Steam. This isn't the first time either that this has happened. I still haven't touched the Orange Box either after i found out that installing Steam was required. Yes, i still haven't played Portal.

Point being is that i feel duped and can now understand the reason why someone would pirate it even if they have a legal copy. Personally, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place if i knew that steam was required. Maybe i just should return the damn thing instead.

Steam requirement is listed on the back of the box.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"Hm, so if someone buys a game and then cracks it, that person still an entitled scumbag to you people ? "

Who said anything of the sort? If you boguht the game you have the right to play it. I'm talking about *stealing*?

--------------------

How was I making excuses for thieves by asking about a situation you've admitted isn't thievery. Was out of curiosity.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

--------------------

Dang right, don't support the DRM folks...cause they feel they have a right to steal your money!!!

It's been double sided though...at first they thought they had the RIGHT to install spyware on your machine without your consent...but got slapped around and now most at least alert you that you need to have an internet connection at least and ALERT YOU (which they didn't originally in many cases) that you are about to install something you didn't want or plan to during the installation.

I hate theives who steal my personal information on what I game, when I game, and how I game with out regard that where I live we have rules in regards to RIGHT TO PRIVACY.

Though I have to say, originally when games first came out with steam it irked me on that I'd buy a disk...but then the game wasn't on the disk. It only had a STEAM link on the disk to download steam and then the game itself...which made me go...WTH...why did I even try to buy a hardcopy if there's no hardcopy here!!!!????

That actually felt a little more like stealing directly through deciet to me than anything a pirate ever did to me.

Game Producers, 50% of the big ones are thieves, liars, and evil to the core.

So...I still support them (like Ubi) by not buying their games on PC but buying it on console.

Probably people like me doing the same thing are the reason PC sales are less then half of what they were 5 years ago (most say even less then that by a far amount), but booming on consoles.

Yeah...I hate thieves...but many of the Game producers are more akin to thieves than the pirates in my book these days...but luckily just like you learn to lock your car...I've learned how to prevent them from stealing my information by avoiding their games and not letting them install their spyware on my PC if I don't want them to know that specific type of information.

But this isn't scum and thieves overall...but about piracy. If they really want to fight piracy...DRM is about the stupidest thing they've ever created...both singlehandedly killing PC sales whilst raising the number of pirates and piracy overall...double fail for DRM.

On the bright side, Indie developers are once again having the biggest heyday since the late eighties and early 90s in both acclaim and sales.

So once the publishers have your private information, what criminal enterprise are you worried they will undertake?

I agree with you about the invasive software, but I'm more worried about hackers getting it than anything the publishers themselves do.

Also, when you buy a hardcopy Steamworks game, it does install off the disk, it just uses Steam as the installer. That's why it is traditionally much faster to install that way.

Just should just download it instead, you've payed money for it. Don't join the dark side! :<

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So once the publishers have your private information, what criminal enterprise are you worried they will undertake?

I agree with you about the invasive software, but I'm more worried about hackers getting it than anything the publishers themselves do.

Also, when you buy a hardcopy Steamworks game, it does install off the disk, it just uses Steam as the installer. That's why it is traditionally much faster to install that way.

No, not always. I've had it where steamworks installs and then it puts me on hold as it downloads the ENTIRE FRIGGEN GAME!!! That peeved me off. If I had wanted to D/L the game without a hardcopy I wouldn't have bought the hardcopy in the first place.

And then there's the times when it has it on disk, but decides as long as it's installing it will take that hour or two simply to update the game whether or not I wanted to play it in that time or not.

But steamworks is the least of the wrongs out there with DRM. Ubi is by far the worst.

As for personal information...Bioware obviously interpreted some of my gameplaying styles wrongly if DA2 is what they came up with...I'd just rather them NOT have that info if that's what they are using it to make.

Not only that, but the spam they send me via their email stuff, and the hackings that have gone on (ironically it wasn't PC that was the biggest hack though, it was Sony with their PSN), I'd rather have my personal info...personal.

Just should just download it instead, you've payed money for it. Don't join the dark side! :<

Nah.

If you wanted to buy it do so via second hand/ rent or borrow, for console. Steam gets nothing, publisher gets nothing; get a cheaper game, the sweet knowledge that some accountant/ exec is foaming at the mouth at not getting a cut, don't miss out on anything and have the lovely warm feeling of it being 100% legal.

Since publishers have zero qualms placing limits because "it's legal" you should have zero qualms using the same argument in reverse.

Since publishers have zero qualms placing limits because "it's legal" you should have zero qualms using the same argument in reverse.

;) man has a point.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

--------------------

Dang right, don't support the DRM folks...cause they feel they have a right to steal your money!!!

It's been double sided though...at first they thought they had the RIGHT to install spyware on your machine without your consent...but got slapped around and now most at least alert you that you need to have an internet connection at least and ALERT YOU (which they didn't originally in many cases) that you are about to install something you didn't want or plan to during the installation.

I hate theives who steal my personal information on what I game, when I game, and how I game with out regard that where I live we have rules in regards to RIGHT TO PRIVACY.

Though I have to say, originally when games first came out with steam it irked me on that I'd buy a disk...but then the game wasn't on the disk. It only had a STEAM link on the disk to download steam and then the game itself...which made me go...WTH...why did I even try to buy a hardcopy if there's no hardcopy here!!!!????

That actually felt a little more like stealing directly through deciet to me than anything a pirate ever did to me.

Game Producers, 50% of the big ones are thieves, liars, and evil to the core.

So...I still support them (like Ubi) by not buying their games on PC but buying it on console.

Probably people like me doing the same thing are the reason PC sales are less then half of what they were 5 years ago (most say even less then that by a far amount), but booming on consoles.

Yeah...I hate thieves...but many of the Game producers are more akin to thieves than the pirates in my book these days...but luckily just like you learn to lock your car...I've learned how to prevent them from stealing my information by avoiding their games and not letting them install their spyware on my PC if I don't want them to know that specific type of information.

But this isn't scum and thieves overall...but about piracy. If they really want to fight piracy...DRM is about the stupidest thing they've ever created...both singlehandedly killing PC sales whilst raising the number of pirates and piracy overall...double fail for DRM.

On the bright side, Indie developers are once again having the biggest heyday since the late eighties and early 90s in both acclaim and sales.

Amen to that!!!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

:lol: man has a point.

+1 for this as well !

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Says who? Sure as heck not the indie developers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Says who? Sure as heck not the indie developers.

I'd say they are...they practically died out due to the costs and distributions during the late 90s and 2000s. In order to get a game that actually made a LOT of money you had to have a nice sized team of developers. You couldn't really go off on your own and start up something and have it compete with the likes of Warcraft 3, or Diablo 2. The Big box producers dominated the market.

Nowdays with Steam, Xbox Live, and digital distribution, along with the hostile way which the big producers treat customers, you get breakouts like Minecraft, new inspirations like Bastion, possibilities like Torchlight, banging down the doors of the big boys. It's the developers once again regaining some semblance of independance from the big brother Producers, and instead of simply producing the status quo, make things THEY want to make rather than what they are constrained to make.

Not only that, but it was the Indies that really took off on the smart phone phenomena and made money there...though the big boys are starting to try to force and shove their way in with their big money and huge political (at least electronic capital politics) pull into that market.

I'd say this is the day of the Indie...and it's only going to get better for them on the PC as the Big producers get more tightfisted on PC and/or move more towards consoles.

I'd say this is the day of the Indie...and it's only going to get better for them on the PC as the Big producers get more tightfisted on PC and/or move more towards consoles.

A few are successful despite piracy, not because if it. Check out the link Starwars posted for indie developer opinions.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A few are successful despite piracy, not because if it. Check out the link Starwars posted for indie developer opinions.

"A few"?

http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Indie/

Was there a point to that?

Not sure what a collection of product pages is supposed to tell. It doesn't show units sold, nor how much creativity gets killed off and fall by the wayside over a defined time period.