Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Rango has the same gripe I had with Vidal's Pirates of the Carribean: both have good ideas but they overstay their welcome.

Wrong Gore. Those movies were directed by Gore Verbinski.

That's right, my bad.

Dunno why Vidal was on my mind.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The Lincoln Lawyer

I was positively surprised by this movie. I really disliked some of the characters in this, and it was because of the right reasons. I liked the acting and the overall theme of the movie.

Got my Blakes 7 DVD set from Amazon today when I came home from work. I'm so going to indulge myself for a long time to come in one of the greatest sci-fi series ever :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Got my Blakes 7 DVD set from Amazon today when I came home from work. I'm so going to indulge myself for a long time to come in one of the greatest sci-fi series ever :sorcerer:

It's all about the Avon-Love... How many ways is that a magnificent bastard? :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's all about the Avon-Love... How many ways is that a magnificent bastard? :shifty:

There are things even Orac can't quantify ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I started watching it, but then realized that no amount of recommendation, good writing and acting will ever make looking at Sean William Scott worth it.

Huh, I like Sean William Scott. He was annoying in the American Pie movies, but I enjoyed his role in that movie with The Rock and Role Models. I think he was also the only decent part of that terrible Cop Out movie.

This isn't much of a stretch for him, his character is pretty simpleminded.

To each his own, I couldn't stand him in any of those movies and truly despise him due to those Bulletproof Monk and Dukes of Hazzard flicks. I cannot think of an actor that I dislike more than Sean William Scott. I hated him in everything I've seen him in, Evolution, Dude Where's My Car, Road Trip, Mr. Wood****, everything.

Well "Goon" just manages to realistically capture the way a Hockey locker room operates. There is a point where the captain gets up to give a little motivation, and ends up ranting about his divorce. I've seen that happen twice in real life, so I think it spoke to me.

Urg, just spent half the day in bed with a grinding headache. It seems to be settling , so I'm making my way out into real life again to deal with food and drink and assorted tasks..

That sounds like a terrible movie. :p

Just to highlight how non-operating my brain is today.. ;)

Just picked up a movie called Maniac Cop in the supermarket. As I saw Bruce "Ash" Campbell's name on it I thought it was probably another crazy horror-comedy, but unfortunately it wasn't that Bruce even though he had his face.. Felt like three different teams made the movie.. In the beginning there were like two teams.. One trying to build up a conspiracy and the other one trying to make a thriller, but half-way through I think both teams got sacked and a rush-job was performed. I was really quite surprised by this movie, but I also got mixed emotions about it. Doubt I'll watch it again. It could have been fun and I was sort of expecting that, but I got a pretty nasty unexpected surprise. I feel like this movie could have been great with a bit of direction, because it's got a lot of things going, but unfortunately it stops dead in its track and pushes on with something else - all the time. Weird. Don't think I said any more than what you can read from the back. I think it would be sort of okay if you don't come looking for a humorous Army of Darkness kind of movie.

(Signatures: disabled) 

The Descendants. Okay drama, nothing special.

Heh, not quite a film, but they've decided to return "Breaking In", and give it a second season.

A nice twist on the "office comedy", with Christian Slater as "Oz" the machiavellian and twisted owner/director of a high tech security firm who runs a crew of oddballs to check their clients security. Often going to extreme and strange places in their methods to both get the clients and then test their security..

But yes, the first season got 7 episodes before Fox decided to cancel it. Only to have them bring it back for a 2nd season about 9 months on.

The first episode of which opens up to a close shot of Slater looking at the camera and doing a "I'd like to thank you for bringing us back..." , zoom out to find he's talking to a client doing the "Well, we went with another company and then we got robbed." The client then gets introduced as a "Mr.Fox".

Cheap , easy in-humour. But generally entertaining.

Moneyball.

The subject of the movie was very interesting to me since I like this kind of stuff and talk about it with friends. I'm surprised to see a movie like this, but I felt it was mostly well done, but they had to ruin some of it by having Jonah Hill playing Peter Brand, who was portrayed like a child in a man's body.

Saw MI Ghost Protocol. Was a fun movie, definitely taking themselves less seriously - well compared to the first one at least - the malfunctioning IMF phone, Brandt and Benny's dialogue about 'catching', so on.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got the Game of Thrones season one Blu-Ray. Trying to finish up Farscape before I hit that up.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Haywire - Directed by Steven Soderbergh, and the lead role played by Gina Carano - who actually brings off a fairly nice performance.

The setup being that Carano is a former Marine, now working for a private consulting/security firm that does a lot of odd jobs for various government agencies gets set up after performing a "hostage rescue" mission in Barcelona.

Actually fairly low-brow, almost a pulp noir feel to it. The first half of the movie is pretty much a series of flashbacks as she explains whats going on to a kid she ends up carjacking to get away from another killer. Has a couple of actioney/fight sequences but most of it revolves around character pieces of a few people talking.

Surprising amount of names in it, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum, Michael Fassbender and even Bill Paxton playing the father..

Puss and Boots - predictable? Yes. Humpty=annoying chr? Yes. Still cute and sometimes hilarious? Oh Yes. Butt-scooting as a dance move. rofl.

Just started watching Life's Too Short via HBO. Show itself is only fitfully amusing (altho I love the short jokes, because I can relate somewhat) but that Liam Neeson scene...bwahahaha....funniest thing I've seen all year.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

John Carter. I thought this was an excellent story. Effects were great. It was victim of a few slow spots, but overall, in my opinion, this was a beautiful film that I'll definitely be purchasing on Blu ray

• Like 1

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

A bit too confusing for its own good.

Then there's the whole anti Russian bias, with them leaving corpses left and right throughout the movie.

Otherwise its okay.

John Carter. I thought this was an excellent story. Effects were great. It was victim of a few slow spots, but overall, in my opinion, this was a beautiful film that I'll definitely be purchasing on Blu ray

Yeah, I caught this the other night. They've mashed up the original books a lot (to be expected given the language used), but they've pretty much nailed the spirit of the stories. Firmly running with that classic pulpy sci-fi.

And of course, left with the possibility of room to maneuver for other films. I enjoyed it a hellava lot more then Clash of the Titans, so since that managed to grab a followon, here's hoping thsi does to.

I was surprised that all the news outlets were calling "John Carter" a bomb because it only pulled in 30 million on the first weekend. I know it was super costly to make, but that seems like a pretty great take for a new property with relatively unknown actors. Hopefully it will have staying power, though.

I might get out to see it this weekend or next.