Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies you've seen recently

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
522 replies to this topic

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Thing (prequel) - meh. Not badly done or anything like that, but such a retread it held no suspense for me whatsoever. And no one in the cast with the presence/fun of a Kurt Russell. The cgi creature effects looked better, of course, but somehow the old models are still technically more impressive, because of all the work that goes into those, vs. clicking pixels on a computer....

Moneyball - awesome, just awesome.

Drive - action trying to be arty? It was ok I guess. Not as action-oriented as I was expecting. The bit players (Cranston, Brooks) were the best things. And wtf was up with the main chr. wearing that face mask at the end? To what purpose/what for? Just to be visually artsy I think....

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7219 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I loved Moneyball as well. It's definitely a baseball lover's movie.
  • Krookie likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3581 posts
They think up an accurate scoring system for rating a player's market value, and that's the plot. Seriously. That's it.

Spoiler tags are gone, but you'll live.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3581 posts
Drive : doushebag hipster 80s retro crap. Fell asleep in the middle.

Edited by Gorgon, 02 February 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7219 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

They think up an accurate scoring system for rating a player's market value, and that's the plot. Seriously. That's it.

Spoiler tags are gone, but you'll live.

It's more about a small market team finding a way to compete against big markets with gigantic payrolls, but really it's the story of Billy Beane and his unique path to stardom. I think it's a bigger deal for me because I live in the Bay Area and watched it all unfold, even as a non-A's fan.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1500 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

The Thing (prequel) - meh. Not badly done or anything like that, but such a retread it held no suspense for me whatsoever. And no one in the cast with the presence/fun of a Kurt Russell. The cgi creature effects looked better, of course, but somehow the old models are still technically more impressive, because of all the work that goes into those, vs. clicking pixels on a computer....

As someone who has experience with both CG and practical special effects, I passionately hate this very common but false view. CG is just as much work as most practical effects, the only people who have it easier are the director and the set creators who don't have to build sets and stage his shots around the special effects but we get the bad rep for how much easier we make their jobs. It pisses me off to no end.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Agree with TrueNeutral here, people who are claiming cgi is just a matter of "clicking pixels on a computer" are plain ignorant and clueless.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2752 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I caught Outlander on tv last night, and reminded that it's a fairly decent movie.

Jim Caviezel, as a man from a far off planet crashlands his ship and ends up in Northern Europe, dealing with Vikings. Throw in the alien predator involved who's called a Moorwen and looks like a very funky non-winged dragon, and you get the whole "basis for myth" type of sci-fi/fantasy story. Add Sophia Myles as eye-candy and chief's daughter with a sword...

Quirky fact, they actually put in some Icelandic as it was spoken in the early middle ages..

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
@TrueNeutral - sorry if my hurriedly written internet post triggered a pet peeve. :biggrin: I didn't mean CGi is less work work - time or energy or any of that. I'm a millions miles from a special effects person, but I know even fiddling with digital photography effects can take "forever," haha. It's more that I personally find the aesthetics & physical dimension of making the models by hand/stop motion or other practical methods(especially in live-action films) etc. to be a lot more interesting and to a degree, often a lot better looking. If done well of course...you can have a lot of crap practical effects too....

I dunno, it has a better "energy" to me. So *I* get cranky when I see the same CGI-looking stuff over and over and over and over that (as an "ignornant viewer"), often looks cut & pasted from another movie, no matter how many tons of time/work were actually put into them. CGI, especially for "monsters & creatures" often looks (imo) colorful, but flat & sterile compared to some practical effects, even when the practical effects are outdated & look a bit cheesy now (as in the 1982 The Thing, from a 2012 perspective). Something about having real 3 dimensions for the camera to photograph, maybe, versus CGI created 3 dimension.

I kinda liked it when movies seemed to be (more often) using more of a mix of practical & CGI effects as the CGI tech was developing, and I dislike the (seeming) trend towards being almost all CGI...simply because I don't think it looks that great yet. There's always exceptions of course (Gollum impressed me) but overall...film CGI is meh. :p

Unrelated: I re-watched Carpenter's The Thing, and it did make me appreciate the recent prequel's attempts at certain bits of continuity & the overall recreation of the "look & feel" of the older film. Outfits, color, setting/mood, color tone, etc.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 03 February 2012 - 09:07 AM.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1500 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Fair enough, I do agree with that. The problem is that the special effects departments don't often work with the cinematographers, it would be very easy to fix if Hollywood didn't just go "we'll leave it to the FX guys". If the cinematographers would just come in and fix the lighting in the CG, that vaguely out of place, watery and sterile feeling would all but disappear. It bothers me a lot that when I go back to watch 1993's Jurassic Park, the CG is still better than 90% of what's out there now, and that's all because Spielberg got people who knew their ****. They were practical effects guys who had to work with CG, and in doing so retained a lot of their knowledge. This current generation of CG-is-all special effects departments just doesn't have that expertise, and can't have that expertise because there's no one around to teach them.

I hate that practical effects seem to have no place in blockbusters anymore even though it will usually give a better result, I'm glad there are still those Christopher Nolan's around to push for them, and I wish Hollywood would try to use CGI to it's strengths, not as an end all solution.

In fact the only real issue I had with your original post was that you said "because of all the work that goes into those, vs. clicking pixels on a computer....", which made me think you held the same view as many people I've talked to in that "computer animation huh? that must be easy, just fill in a few parameters and the computer does the rest" and I'm glad to see you don't share that view. I personally love the artistry of a good animatronic, but I also love the artistry of a good CG effect and I know from experience that both require a lot of patience and hard work. But there are a lot of bad CG effects out there, and animatronics aren't used much anymore so due to nostalgia most people don't recall that there used to be a lot of terribly practical effects out there as well.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts
Saw the 'Iron Sky' trailer. Looks like the kind of Instant Classic that 'Dead Snow' was. Earth is under attack by Space Nazi's in UFO's.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Bought the Avatar Blu-Ray Extended Edition and started watching all that Making-Of stuff.

Omg, all my respect for James Cameron & his team has been re-established again.

Also, I liked the beginning of the EC, even though the costumes of the pedestrians looked kinda silly.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also re-watched Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.

Very striking visuals, very powerful performances. Why doesn't Mel direct movies these days anymore?

...I guess I know the answer to that already, but still, it's a shame.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3581 posts
He's gone bat**** ?

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

He's gone bat**** ?

But why?

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5393 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Call of Duty the Motion Picture ?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts
Attack of the Crab Monsters. Good cheesy fun. Way better than Humanoids from the Deep.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Also re-watched Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.

Very striking visuals, very powerful performances. Why doesn't Mel direct movies these days anymore?

...I guess I know the answer to that already, but still, it's a shame.

He's currently working on a Viking movie called Berserker and a Judah Maccabee biopic. The viking one is the same one Leo DiCaprio was attached to thats going to be all in old norse, but DiCaprio is no longer attached.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Berserker huh? That sounds so manly even Stallone could get pregnant from it.

Will keep an eye on this.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7013 posts
  • Backer
http://moviebob.blog...ie-we-need.html
God Bless America
The movie we've all been secretly waiting for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users