Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies you've seen recently

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
522 replies to this topic

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Cowboys vs Aliens was just Independance Day during the west. I don't understand the love for it. It was entertaining, but very stupid.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cowboys vs Aliens was just Independance Day during the west. I don't understand the love for it. It was entertaining, but very stupid.

I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about Avatar when it came out and everybody hated me for it.

But yes, Cowboys and Aliens was totally redundant. Olivia Wilde is always a nice looker though.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2500 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I Saw The Devil.

One of the bloodiest movies I have seen in a very long time. I need to check out more South Korean movies.

MechanicalLemon

MechanicalLemon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
Finished Season 1 & 2 of Carnivale. One of the most unique and in-depth shows I've ever seen. Such a shame that it was cancelled.
  • Kor Qel Droma likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 6985 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about Avatar when it came out and everybody hated me for it.

But yes, Cowboys and Aliens was totally redundant. Olivia Wilde is always a nice looker though.

That's because you are still wrong about Avatar.

But yes, Cowboys and Aliens was a pretty standard popcorn flick. It was fun enough to look at but you don't want to go examining the plot or anything.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5583 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Are you nuts? Obviously Avatar was essentially Independence Day. It's like I'm always telling people that Herbie is essentially Citizen Kane.

Edited by Walsingham, 19 December 2011 - 02:07 PM.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Prometheus trailer preview: http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Real thing coming in 3 days.

Second teaser: http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Now excuse me, I have to go to the toilet for a moment.

Edited by Morgoth, 19 December 2011 - 02:42 PM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4885 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I want a North Face coat.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9370 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Dark Knight Rises trailer

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
Man, whatever I was expecting of The Dark Knight Rises, that wasn't it. That looks fantastic.

Are you nuts? Obviously Avatar was essentially Independence Day. It's like I'm always telling people that Herbie is essentially Citizen Kane.

I don't see the connection between Avatar and Independence Day either. I always felt it was more like Dances With Wolves (which was a ripoff itself, if you want to classify all "going native" stories that way) meets A Princess of Mars.

I don't get the hate for it, the story was not the point of that movie anyway so why do people focus on it? It was plain and simple spectacle, and it succeeded at that very well. Plus, in Star Wars the farmboy became a knight to save the princess from the black knight's fortress. Story? Meh! I don't see the need to focus on the stories in these kinds of films. I think movie goers have just become too jaded. If it came out during this day and age Star Wars would never have succeeded.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The connection between ID and Avatar is, that both are shallow popcorn entertainment that have a huge budget but no everlasting or memorable effect, thus not contributing in any meaningful way to the film medium.

But hey, that's only, like, my opinion?

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also watched A Serious Man yesterday.

Possibly the best Coel brothers movie ever made.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts

The connection between ID and Avatar is, that both are shallow popcorn entertainment that have a huge budget but no everlasting or memorable effect, thus not contributing in any meaningful way to the film medium.

But hey, that's only, like, my opinion?

Why does does contributing to the film medium make something a good film? I've never understood this. I've seen Citizen Kane. I know it's pretty much the biggest contribution to the film medium ever. Doesn't mean that it's not on my list of movies to change the channel from in fear for my mental health because it bores me to braindeath.

I also don't feel Avatar is completely devoid of merit, if anything it still made meaningful contributions in effects technology and it was an artistic endeavour on the part of James Cameron to create something that felt real. The fact that he failed at that (although there seem to be plenty of people who disagree on that assessment) does not mean it was meant as a shallow cash grab. James Cameron very obviously believed and had a lot of passion for this material and believed in his story. Failure or not, it's unfair to compare it to "for teh explosiunz" flicks such as Cowboys vs Aliens (with all due respect for Jon Favreau, I feel that his approach to directing films is to make something entertaining, not something meaningful) or Independence Day.

Agree to disagree?

At least it's not Transformers. If there's any film series completely devoid of merit it's that. It epitomizes all the things geek culture decries in filmmaking and yet they won't stop going to these films, to the point that every subsequent film in this series so far has made more money than the previous.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Fair enough, though at least James Cameron shouldn't act like he's an infallible god among movie makers because he isn't. He's a mediocre screenwriter (functioning screenplay, good pacing, but dull dialogs and characters), a mediocre director, but a pretty good technician.

I think Ridley Scott is a lot better director and has a better taste for casting, art direction, maturity etc. without losing sight of the mainstream appeal. I hope Prometheus is gonna destroy Avatar in any possible way, but now I'm talking about Schadenfreude... :*

Edited by Morgoth, 20 December 2011 - 03:18 AM.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
I agree, Cameron does have a huge ego and it needs a good pounding, and Ridley Scott is a better director (though I feel he's made a few clunkers, no director is perfect). I think Cameron has a similar problem to George Lucas in that he doesn't get challenged anymore. His decisions are met by an army of Yes Men and not by critical thinkers.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6458 posts

Thank God it's the last one.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5583 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
God forbid that a form of entertainment should be entertaining.

Film is both entertainment AND art. placing the emphaiss on one does not invalidate it's qualities in the other. Although a lot of simps would have you believe that on both sides.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts

Thank God it's the last one.

The Reboot's been announced. ?_?

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
I recently watched Cowboys And Aliens which was surprisingly good, not without some cliched bull**** moments but I enjoyed it, The Inbetweeners movie was also good, cheap fun.

I tried to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes but felt completely uninterested, all the product placement, terribly obvious CG apes and boring characters really put me off.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The thing about Nolan's interpretation of his Batman trilogy is that he's taking it way too serious. The whole vibe has sort of this "I want to make a dramatic and intellectual yet mainstream compatible" movie, and it sort of feels a bit cheap and dishonest. This really stood out particularly in Inception.

I liked his older movies a lot more, before he became a big star.

In before notsureifserious.jpg's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users