Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies you've seen recently

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
522 replies to this topic

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2216 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah. I guess the character itself actually isn't that bad in retrospect, he even kills his half-brother. But I dunno, I think his seeking redemption gets somewhat lost in the film. It doesn't feel genuine enough, he should've been more haunted, more broken. I don't really feel his plight.

And part of that may just be that it's a character that just looks *fabulous* no matter what the situation. Even if he's covered in dirt, he always looks oh-so-heroic and beautiful. I think it drags the film down overall. It's obviously a *very* stylized look at that period of time, it's just that the more "hollywood feeling" parts of the film doesn't really do the film any services.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 6990 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I watched a few flicks this weekend.

Cedar Rapids - Pretty hilarious film about a very naive guy from a small town making his first trip to the city. The characters were really good, I enjoyed it.

Hannah - Interesting film about an assassin girl. There was one big plot element that bothered me, but as an action flick it was very well done.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Rango.
Animation looked great. Nods to old Westerns were welcome. But neither funny or interesting. It was so lifeless that I fell asleep at about the 3/4 point, so maybe the end made it better. Not going back to find out.
  • Drowsy Emperor likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
For the quirky interest route..

The "mood" trailer that's being shipped around studios to develop interest in adapting Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books to film has been leaked and turned up on the internet.

They've edited chunks from a whole bunch of films, then given the "movie text" to add story info and it's actually quite weird how well they've captured the whole feel of the story...

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Never read those books, but the "trailer" is fascinating to try and recognize what films all the pieces came from. :lol:

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2677 posts

Hannah - Interesting film about an assassin girl. There was one big plot element that bothered me, but as an action flick it was very well done.

For it being an attempt at a cross spy/fairy tale it felt very stale. There is a reason that fairy tales are short, they really can't fill a full book and this movie just drags on with tedium.
I will grant that there were a few interesting scenes, namely the ones involving the german assassins and I will admit that i'm biased against the director's particular style. His films come off like tedious and catatonic to me.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6466 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TOVHEnfe0

That trailer would work, I guess, if I hadn't already seen all movies whose scenes they blatantly rip off. So I am very angry about this abomination.

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That trailer would work, I guess, if I hadn't already seen all movies whose scenes they blatantly rip off. So I am very angry about this abomination.

Apparently it's not that unusual to do when you have a small group trying to get studios interest in a story. Edit together something like that so you can have a very visual hook of the "style/feel" of what the prospective film is to be like..
  • Walsingham likes this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5814 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thor. Amusing popcorn movie. Asgard looked incredible.

Trollossus

Trollossus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Watched Oldboy. Wtf? A crazy movie, I tell ya.

If you liked it you should check the rest of the trilogy. Sympathy for MR. Vengeance was better IMO.

Love all of these. Recently watched I Saw the Devil and it was awesome.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6466 posts
Bloodrayne: Third Reich

Not as terrible as I had expected it to be. After all it had some gratuitous (albeit hot) girl-on-girl action and Natassia Malthe is a fine specimen to watch.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Apparently it's not that unusual to do when you have a small group trying to get studios interest in a story. Edit together something like that so you can have a very visual hook of the "style/feel" of what the prospective film is to be like..

Yeah...not that atypical at all these days. No different, really, than pitching something verbally using other shows as examples (ala "It'll be like Wagon Train to the stars!"). Easier these days to give a visual impression on a no to low budget. Altho, I'd consider it likely they'd have some rough art drawings and maybe partial storyboards to go along with the video too.

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah...not that atypical at all these days. No different, really, than pitching something verbally using other shows as examples (ala "It'll be like Wagon Train to the stars!"). Easier these days to give a visual impression on a no to low budget. Altho, I'd consider it likely they'd have some rough art drawings and maybe partial storyboards to go along with the video too.

But can anything beat Joss Whedon's approach of "Cowboys and Hookers.. In Space!"? :shifty:

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2216 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Been seeing a few Ridley Scott films in anticipation of Prometheus. Kingdom of Heaven earlier, The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, Hannibal the last few days and then American Gangster yesterday. Body of Lies later today.

Really hope The Duellists will get a blu-ray release. It is such a beautiful film. Ridley's work varies a lot but you can be sure it will always be visually good at least.

American Gangster is really excellent, one of his best in my opinion. I typically like his earlier stuff more but American Gangster ranks up there with the best of them I think.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5814 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I can watch the Duellists with the sound turned off, like moving wallpaper. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but I love the visuals.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Never Let You Go.

Deliberately slow paced, and for the most part a bit emotionally stand-offish, so it takes a bit before I "got into" it. Certainly not a cheery movie, but I liked it a fair amount. The premise isn't anything I haven't seen before in alternate/future reality type writing but I did like the perspective it was told in. It's not a sappy romance, btw...some of the descriptions make it sound like one, but it's not.

If this Andrew Garfield is going to be the new Spiderman, I hope he worked out a little, because he is one super-skinny dude. I know Spiderman isn't Hercules but...at any rate, I was impressed with him and I can totally see him as Peter Parker.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

But can anything beat Joss Whedon's approach of "Cowboys and Hookers.. In Space!"? :shifty:

There's a story that after Die Hard came out, every action movie was pitched as being "Die Hard in a....................". A lot of these actually got made, such as Die Hard on a plane (Air Force One) or Die Hard on a Bus (Speed). Now, nobody pitches it that way anymore. This is because some dumbass pitched something as being "Die Hard in an office building".

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9374 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Cabin in the Woods
Not very scary, but still very good. It felt like SCP: The Movie.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2923 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Three Stooges.

While not up to the mastery of the original film crew, the movie does a good job of delivering on the kind of things that the Three Stooges have always done (generally beating the heck out of one another). The through story is probably a bit more emotional than a real Three Stooges short would have been (Moe, Larry and Curley pretty much lived unexamined filmic lives not ever needing to give time to ponder how much destruction they've left in their wake) but given that you can't make a modern film without having some sort of emotional through story they at least keep its impact to a minimum.

A couple of the sequences (the attempt to get into the hospital - particularly the diaper changing bit leaps to mind) are pretty darn hilarious.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8127 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Not a movie, but started digging into Rome and can't help but wonder

why does EVERY SINGLE WOMAN who you see on the show has a "landing strip"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users