Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies you've seen recently

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
522 replies to this topic

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Full Prometheus trailer: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=HHcHYisZFLU

UK Trailer

A bit different and a bit longer.

MOTY.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2446 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Adventures of Tintin. Loved it. That is all.

Hildegard

Hildegard

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Full Prometheus trailer: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=HHcHYisZFLU

UK Trailer

A bit different and a bit longer.

MOTY.

In my opinion, they made these trailers too much of a spoiler.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2932 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Saw John Carter (of Mars) again this weekend. Enjoyed it again. Such a fun film that really captures the early Planetary Romance feel.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
I think I remember a comic like that. It's disney on the other hand, which probably means it isn't allowed to be too interesting or X rated, you have to be able to drag your kids there.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2932 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well Dejah Thoris is wearing clothes so there is some departure from the book series (I guess whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder).

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
They've mashed up the books, John Carter has seriously mad jumping skills, the Therns have super-tech , the City-States are kind of split between two instead of a bunch..

But damn, it catches the spirit of the whole thing. That, and it's just generally fun. It's not too serious, it's not too silly, it has pulpy sci-fi planetary romance swashbuckleryness.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2932 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
IIRC they specifically mashed up A PRINCESS OF MARS and GODS OF MARS (I read the first three books - which would add WARLORD OF MARS) decades ago so I can't really remember the specifics other than a lot of the Thern stuff comes from GODS and spices up the Princess plot (but leaves out the stuff about Issus, where the Therns live of the "Black Martians").

But agreed it matched my memory of the spirit of the novels if not actually being a literal, page for page adaption.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 6993 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
21 Jump Street - Hilarious tribute/spoof film about the 80's TV show. There was a lot of humor that really only makes sense if you were a fan of the series, but I thought they did a great job if you were.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts

Well Dejah Thoris is wearing clothes so there is some departure from the book series (I guess whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder).

It's a bit like an unbuffed Arnold, although I don't see a big budget Hollywood production with nudity featuring prominently. Aestethically it's a shame though.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

UK Trailer

So I see a woman who appears to be in some state of distress, a tentacle coming out of an arm (or at least out of a suit that's around an arm) and someone with a ruined melted face apparently attacking other crew. Then just big open spaces and ships. From my pov of knowing nothing, not exactly a spoiler. If anything, it tells me almost nothing except that it's a threat in space movie that looks to be a bit more cerebral than most.

I really wish I could be excited for this movie. I respect/admire Ridley Scott, but I also know he's made (imo) a few pretty big clunkers. eg, no one's perfect. I hope this doesn't become his SW prequel.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 19 March 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Problem is after watching the Prometheus trailer, I already know the whole plot.

Still gonna watch and enjoy it though, but I'll refrain from watching more trailers from now on.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 6993 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Prometheus looks great. Maybe I saw a different trailer, but I didn't learn much about the plot from it. Granted I also only have a cursory knowledge of the Aliens universe.

I watched "John Carter". While it was enjoyable, I think it needed to be a bit shorter. I really enjoyed the premise and it is a shame we will not get to see a sequel that gets deeper into the lore. I guess I can read the books. It's a shame they couldn't make this flick with a reasonable budget. I also wasn't blown away by the acting, it was decent but they really needed someone to shine.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
I haven been this excited about a new movie in at least a decade. (Prometheus) I kinda like the suggestion that the Aliens aren't the focus of the story at all, but merely window dressing in the navigator ship.

Kor Qel Droma

Kor Qel Droma

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1738 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:burnoutboi
Not a movie, but I watched the first six episodes of Strike Back. It was pretty entertaining. Production values were pretty high for tv.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2510 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sourcecode.

The last 15 minutes ruined the movie.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
An interesting look at the reasons behind John Carter's marketing campaign..

The Inside Story - How John Carter was doomed by its First Trailer

Edited by Raithe, 28 March 2012 - 09:22 AM.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2216 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Re-watched the director's cut of King of Heaven.

It's a good film but I think there are a number of things that keep it from really being excellent. Some characters, most notably Guy de Lusignan and Reynald something something, are just set up way too much as the villains. Guy in particular is just overtly evil, way too much of a moustache twirler. In contrast, Balian feels way too much like the classicaction-hero. These characters in particular could've really used some... well, I guess more grey overall.
It works better in the overall conflict between the Christians and the Muslims, where both sides feel humanized and the film doesn't push you to care for one or the other. The guy who plays Saladin is especially excellent.

And of course, it is a visually great movie. It's like watching a constant stream of beautiful paintings. The soundtrack is also excellent.

It's a good film, especially in the visual sense. But I could've done without the overtly good/evil characters.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I must have missed that one: Elysium (from District 9 director) viral trailer

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2683 posts

Re-watched the director's cut of King of Heaven.

It's a good film but I think there are a number of things that keep it from really being excellent. Some characters, most notably Guy de Lusignan and Reynald something something, are just set up way too much as the villains. Guy in particular is just overtly evil, way too much of a moustache twirler. In contrast, Balian feels way too much like the classicaction-hero. These characters in particular could've really used some... well, I guess more grey overall.
It works better in the overall conflict between the Christians and the Muslims, where both sides feel humanized and the film doesn't push you to care for one or the other. The guy who plays Saladin is especially excellent.

And of course, it is a visually great movie. It's like watching a constant stream of beautiful paintings. The soundtrack is also excellent.

It's a good film, especially in the visual sense. But I could've done without the overtly good/evil characters.

Valid points but the main themes would had been somewhat sullied. If the main character wasn't a perfectly righteous man then there is no dream of Jerusalem, there is no real search for redemption, and many of the interactions with him change context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users