Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

South Park RPG

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

Pope

Pope

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1307 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://gamingeveryth...south-park-rpg/

First images from the game.

Edit: Since it appears the site has actual scans of the GI magazine, I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to post that link. Please delete this post if it's not allowed.

Crab people spotted! (image 7)

This game has win written all over already.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4081 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
In related news THQ isn't doing well.
http://www.neogaf.co...p...4761&page=4

Edited by C2B, 08 December 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

I'm ambivalent about that. I would like to see Obsidian get paid for their work on South Park, on the other hand I always resented them for clinging on to the Games Worshop rights, never (and likely not intending to) making a game that would interest me. Selfish? Sure :thumbsup:

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16278 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
In this case it won't matter as long as the SP IP holders want the game mad eit will be made.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2156 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Would be a shame to lose THQ, Relic and Volition are great devs. Also enjoyed Metro and Darksiders.

I'm ambivalent about that. I would like to see Obsidian get paid for their work on South Park, on the other hand I always resented them for clinging on to the Games Worshop rights, never (and likely not intending to) making a game that would interest me.

The only company that might make a 40k RPG is EA. You want a Bio 40k RPG?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

The only company that might make a 40k RPG is EA. You want a Bio 40k RPG?

Now I can't unsee this :skull:

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've never watched an episode of South Park, so I'm not totally committed, but some of the stuff I've read about how they're handling the game sounds like it could be fun.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It appears that the Onyx engine can look exactly like the show, which is an impressive start, not so sure about the look of the combat, it seems more like a JRPG, not my cup of tea but I understand a huge amount of people go for it.

Based on what I read the combat is fairly similar to what is generally referred to as jRPG combat - the description makes it actually sound like ChronoTrigger a little bit ("monsters" on the field, you can choose to fight or not, combat is TB)

Of course the jRPG style combat is really similar to early US RPG game combat (like SSI's Phantasie) so...

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2962 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I wonder if the trouble THQ are having will have any effect on this game. Things don't look very good for them. They have been laying off people as far as I know. Stock fell 35%...

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wonder if the trouble THQ are having will have any effect on this game. Things don't look very good for them. They have been laying off people as far as I know. Stock fell 35%...

Hard to say, some article I read said that they would run out of cash in early 2013. But if their 2012 releases fail badly, who knows. South Park itself has the potential to be a huge success for THQ (depending on the deal with South Park Studios & Obsidian ofc).

THUORN

THUORN

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
Has it been reported whether its a full release or a download?

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9573 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought the article mentioned it being a full title. And South Park is set to have a completely different game as a downloadable in the future.

I could try double checking. It does seem strange that we're looking at a sidescrolling game that uses turn-based combat as retail.

Alvin Nelson

Alvin Nelson

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Spiffer2021
Full release.

THUORN

THUORN

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts

I thought the article mentioned it being a full title. And South Park is set to have a completely different game as a downloadable in the future.

I could try double checking. It does seem strange that we're looking at a sidescrolling game that uses turn-based combat as retail.

Full release.

Cool thanks guys.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1650 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hard to say, some article I read said that they would run out of cash in early 2013. But if their 2012 releases fail badly, who knows. South Park itself has the potential to be a huge success for THQ (depending on the deal with South Park Studios & Obsidian ofc).

I doubt they would fail outright anyway, their market capitalisation is very low so they'd make a nice target for a competitor to buy- it would be less than 10%* what EA paid for Bioware/ Pandemic for example, and given that they could then rationalise the distribution side of things plenty of savings could be made.

*They'd have to take over the debt/ liabilities as well, presumably, which would up that.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4946 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
the more we hear o' this, the more it sounds like a vanity project. the south park guys like video games and they thinks it would be kewl to makes a south park crpg. sure, south park is hardly having a natural setting for a crpg, the 2d pov is necessarily limiting, and there is no built-in rules mechanic to facilitate the development o' a combat system for a cartoon that didn't deal with combat save as sight gag shtick, but at least bioware isn't making it, right?

*snort*

am 100% in favor o' folks trying new and original, but this don't seem original so much as it just seems... stoopid.

HA! Good Fun!

THUORN

THUORN

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
It wont be stupid if it makes money. And I wont care if its stupid or made money if I love it.

But its several things I like mixed together, so I am very interested. If its poo I wont lose any sleep over it, if its awesome then I will have fun. I guess we shall know in 12 months or less.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4946 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It wont be stupid if it makes money. And I wont care if its stupid or made money if I love it.

But its several things I like mixed together, so I am very interested.

things Gromnir likes:

cheescake

james joyce

gershwin tunes

rugby

we has no urge to combine any o' the aforementioned.

HA! Good Fun!

THUORN

THUORN

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts

But its several things I like mixed together, so I am very interested.

things Gromnir likes:

cheescake

james joyce

gershwin tunes

rugby

we has no urge to combine any o' the aforementioned.

HA! Good Fun!

No need to thank me.

Things Gromnir Likes.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

am 100% in favor o' folks trying new and original, but this don't seem original so much as it just seems... stoopid.

It definitely sounds strange; and while I'm not sure its a vanity project the interview I read with the SP creators did sound a lot like "We like video games and wanted to do an RPG" kind of thing.

That said, it could be fun. Could also be a big mess. I'm hoping for fun though (and I say that as someone who has never watched an episode of South Park).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users