Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
506 replies to this topic

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
Yeah I half expected it to happen so I made a backup last night, still...it irks me >_<

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6475 posts
Err... is there any reason to ever play any single-player game with Steam online?

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4755 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
For the achievements?

SadExchange

SadExchange

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Backer

Yeah I half expected it to happen so I made a backup last night, still...it irks me >_<

So is this widespread? I saw the update download but haven't played it yet. Figured if everyone was having the problem, I'd hold off until the next patch.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6475 posts
It's widespread, yes.

It is a redundant patch anyway, since it doesn't fix quest bugs.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
Pretty widespread from what I've read, same issues on the consoles too.

After thinking myself rather clever for backing up the exe it turns out they updated Interface.bsa as well, if you use the old executable it breaks the map, it took me well over an hour to put it right but if you look around less reputable places the files from the last update are still available...damn it Steam.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
The longer I play the more bug show up. My fence keeps asking me if I want to upgrade a POS guild armor I sold ages ago and I can't get to the sell/buy screen to unload my haul. The dark brotherhood quest line is stuck in a loop, the same 3 assassinations who mysteriously come back to life every time I get done with them. The eye texture bug is back, using the latest GFX drivers...

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
my next playthrough i will only accept quests i intend to complete immediately. that way i won't have tons of quests in my "to do" list, so i can hopefully avoid the quest "tunnel vision" that I, and others, tend to experience in these kinds of games.

Edited by entrerix, 30 November 2011 - 02:33 PM.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6475 posts
Well, I finished the main quest. It was okay, but nothing special. End boss was pathetic, I just pressed and held the left mouse button to unleash Lightning Storm and that was that.

I killed 30 dragons in total, the majority of those on mountain tops (never experienced any dragon "cliffracer" syndrom other people appear to have), still need to kill 14 to master all shouts.

So far I say College of Winterhold > Thieves Guild > Daedric quests > Main quest > Companions.

Edited by virumor, 30 November 2011 - 02:59 PM.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
That makes me want to start over as a thieving mage.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6475 posts
I might restart as a Bosmer or Khajiit to do the Thieves Guild properly and the Dark Brotherhood. I don't know if archery is any fun, but sneak is very powerful.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Archery is quite fun, though it progressively became a bit too weak for me at higher levels. But maybe because I couldn't really enchant great bows.

Restarted with a Dunmer, planning to either two-hander or 1h+melee plus alteration.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2118 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I find archery to be much easier than anything melee orientated. And I have the nightingale bow, which is pretty good. But the last perk in archery is just amazing and triggers on almost everything apart from dragons.

MrBrown

MrBrown

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 442 posts

So far I say College of Winterhold > Thieves Guild > Daedric quests > Main quest > Companions.

Really? I thought the College-line was a boring dungeon romp. Got really bored of Dwemer and Falmers.

Thieves Guild has been the best, in my opinion, though I've yet to play the MQ or Dark Brotherhood.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
You can enchant a total of 4 items with a total 100 point, or % archery boost - I don't know how that works exactly, not counting two damage enchantments on the bow. Enchantment is just as overpowered as in all the TES games. There is nothing discoverable that even comes close. Similarly you don't actually need any points in magica once you can enchant your gear with dual magic school boosts.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9376 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Except you need magicka before that, so if you drop all your magicka cost, you're wasting investments. And the pieces that accept fortify school are also many of the same pieces that accept resist.

And resist is nice. I found that -100% destruction, - 50% conjuration, and some resist was a good balance.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6475 posts
You need to find the right enchantments on loot to disenchant before that, too.

Resist magic is easy, though. Lord stone + Blessing of Mara gives already 40%. Add alteration perks and you only need one item enchanted to max it out.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The nightingale bow is decent. I never got my enchanting/smithing up high enough to really get the good stuff though, that might be it. For the perks, if there are 2 nodes that connect to a final node, do you need both as prerequisites or only one? I usually find I only want one branch.

My Dunmer character continues at Level 7, am going for 1h/block/alteration and also smith/enchant bit more seriously. I'm finding some battles are a lot harder but some are easier (the draugr, for instance), and it also lets me use a lot more weapons that I find. Might reverse the order of cities and head West first towards Markarth.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2118 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You only need one. My character can make dragon armor, but not daerdra. Which is why the Nightinggale bow is the best I've got available so far. I can't enchant better than what is on it (a lot worse in fact) and I can craft a better one myself.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
first thing im doing is drastically changing the perk requirements. i'd rather have 5 interesting perk choices per level, than maybe 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users