RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

But that's not against what was said by Feargus... You know, if the game is such big pile of ****, that people do not want to finish it, they just sell it so it does not turn into such a big loss... Same with a 6 hour long game with no replay value... Who wants to keep such games?

No, the problem is that people don't care about how good the game is (or can't think for themselves), they must ride the latest bandwagon title. That's of course the most egregious example, but in general, the quality of a game plays a very small role in its reception, as we see even here very regularly.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That's why we'll see something like Steam coming for the Next-Gen consoles as well. Once bought and activated, you can't sell it anymore as the disc is rendered useless.

You already have that on Xbox360 and PSN overall. Many of the games that come out on disk also come out for D/L. Many PS1 games not on disk and old Sega and Nintendo games have also come out on the console networks for d/l.

Uhm, that's the smaller XBLA titles. I mean the retail games. You can always sell a retail games, but maybe not in the future anymore.

No, a lot of retail games are already available via XBLA/PSN, for example Battlefield 3 was Day and Date. I think EA's been exceptionally active on this front.

Uhm, that's the smaller XBLA titles. I mean the retail games. You can always sell a retail games, but maybe not in the future anymore.

No, a lot of retail games are already available via XBLA/PSN, for example Battlefield 3 was Day and Date. I think EA's been exceptionally active on this front.

Yeah I know, Games on Demand, but that's only optional. All big budget games will continue to be released on retail as well. But in the future they could use something like Steamworks for console games as well, which means you gonna have to think twice before forking out 60 EUR for something that may turn out stinker.

But this is only a natural development, as this means many companies are gonna go out of business as people are starting to get more picky, so only a few best survive for blockbuster productions. The market always regulates itself.

Not sure what this means for Obsidian though.

Yeah I know, Games on Demand, but that's only optional. All big budget games will continue to be released on retail as well. But in the future they could use something like Steamworks for console games as well, which means you gonna have to think twice before forking out 60 EUR for something that may turn out stinker.

But this is only a natural development, as this means many companies are gonna go out of business as people are starting to get more picky, so only a few best survive for blockbuster productions. The market always regulates itself.

Not sure what this means for Obsidian though.

Yeah, optional, and not that attractive, either. BF3 was 70e on demand vs. 60e at my normal store without any shopping around. I'm cheap enough to consider 10e worth my while to get off my ass and go there to buy it - and use the 10e at Subway while I'm there. :D

A study on player personality and behavior.

Actually pretty interesting.

I've been wanting to read something like that for a while. Is it objective or is it another one of those pop psychology applied to gaming like when they put all MMO player into 4 neat categories?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I've been wanting to read something like that for a while. Is it objective or is it another one of those pop psychology applied to gaming like when they put all MMO player into 4 neat categories?

It's about an institution trying to decode player behavior to enhance game experiences, using a custom NwN module to test participants.

It's about an institution trying to decode player behavior to enhance game experiences, using a custom NwN module to test participants.

Read it

I feel that this line of research wont get nowhere because its a very narrow experiment. They're basing their research on behaviors based on one game, one problem, but the context keeps changing with every genre. Also they didn't mention any kind of control group, so its all pretty much interpretative.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Arma_2___Razor_Team_by_thejohan.jpg

They'd be dressed like this. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

considering how misleading the first image was last year

It would be beyond hilarity if this was Dragon Age 3.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."