RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

Well, why not. LA is hiring people for an open world RPG, could as well be Kotor 3.

The bad news however is that it's from LA.

There is no business sense to compete with another one of your own products.

Unless of course it's 'Oblivion with lightsabers' but then why name it KOTOR?

As for the retconning I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how it will work, theoretically you are not supposed to retcon by outright contradiction in SW and everything is meant to be canon so long as it doesn't contradict George mandated stuff but this is at least the second time DrewK has done it, his first Bane novel liberally altered its Jedi vs Sith source material. It's a shame, they really go out of their way to make SW as bland and unchallenging an experience as possible to the extent of retconning pretty much every character with more than half a dimension.

IIRC book canon always triumphs game canon so Bioware is free to rewrite the whole of KOTOR2 to their liking.

As for the retconning I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how it will work, theoretically you are not supposed to retcon by outright contradiction in SW and everything is meant to be canon so long as it doesn't contradict George mandated stuff but this is at least the second time DrewK has done it, his first Bane novel liberally altered its Jedi vs Sith source material. It's a shame, they really go out of their way to make SW as bland and unchallenging an experience as possible to the extent of retconning pretty much every character with more than half a dimension.

IIRC book canon always triumphs game canon so Bioware is free to rewrite the whole of KOTOR2 to their liking.

I think that most would consider the games to have more cannon to them then anything Kap writes.

Heck, I'm pretty sure that the entire era (Rather, the "Sith War" era) will end up one of those situations where the war is different depending on who you ask (if you ask a teen right now, it'd be the KoToR stuff, in 4 years, the highschoolers will swear it's the TOR stuff if that catches on, and some of the older folks consider the Sith conquests under Exar Kun to be the one true sith war).

I admit, I'm a fan of the Exar Kun and Qel'Droma stuff (even if it was written by KJA), and you have NO idea how frustrated I got at some of the twisting that happened for Bio and Obsidian's games to work properly. At least Obsidian acknowledged that there was something in the era previously and forced a name change on the conflict Revan instigated.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't care about "book "canon"", if the interference within the game is minimal. Karpyshyn already buggered the Mass Effect continuity in the novel in a way that Bio won't do in-game. If they have the decency to keep the stupid retconning out of the game, I'll be happy.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Unless of course it's 'Oblivion with lightsabers' but then why name it KOTOR?

RevanSaberOut.jpg

I admit, I'm a fan of the Exar Kun and Qel'Droma stuff (even if it was written by KJA), and you have NO idea how frustrated I got at some of the twisting that happened for Bio and Obsidian's games to work properly. At least Obsidian acknowledged that there was something in the era previously and forced a name change on the conflict Revan instigated.

What's interesting is that BioWare actually wanted to use Vima Sunrider in KOTOR, but LucasArts wouldn't let them. Hence, BioWare came up with Bastila Shan.

Shows how much LucasArts cares about game canon.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

LA knows that Star Wars is just an unthoughtful, childish mess, so of course they don't care 'cause it doesn't make a difference. You could implement any sort of nonsense and make it SW canon.

Of course they don't acknowledge that publically, that would hurt the millions of hardcore fans out there, but that's how it is.

Personally, SW is very mallable universe. So if you let talented people do their thing with it, the end result will likely be good (Kotor 2). If some hacks work on it, you get something like the latest offerings from Lucas himself.

LA wasn't yet complete **** around when KOTOR came out. They didn't want BioWare to use one of their established book characters and turn her into a haughty, bumbling joke of a Jedi, yet about ten years later they allowed movie characters to be beaten like a bunch of pussies by some emo freak.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The character of Vima Sunrider was part owned by the author of the (original, not the recent, and specifically IIRC 'Redemption') KOTOR comics, that's why she wasn't used. That's partly why the licencing for SW products is so restrictive now, to avoid situations where 3rd parties 'own' characters and would have to be paid if they were used.

Books and games are on the same level- check out the Wookieepedia entry for canon. That's why having direct contradictions is an extremely bad idea and is supposed to not happen as there's no mandated way to determine which is 'right'. The only thing a book trumps is gameplay stuff- you cannot, for example, argue that the Exile is more powerful than Revan based on R being capped at lvl 20 and having around 2/3 of them being Jedi levels while E has 30+ Jedi/ Prestige Class levels if a book says R is more powerful.

What's interesting is that BioWare actually wanted to use Vima Sunrider in KOTOR, but LucasArts wouldn't let them. Hence, BioWare came up with Bastila Shan.

Maybe they were scared of bio making her romancable. :)

Syndicate Trailer... Looks fun, certainly an interesting reboot.

Looks decent, nothing exciting.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a mess. A hyperactive scifishooter, nothing really uncommon (or too interesting) these days.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a mess. A hyperactive scifishooter, nothing really uncommon (or too interesting) these days.

It's 'visceral', man.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Music was good for the first 48 seconds.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Looks really good to me. There's not remotely enough futuristic shooters. The only decent ones are Halo and Mass Effect. Mass Effect completely ignoring the futurist themes for fantasy in space. And Deus Ex, but it's kind of hard to count that with how infrequently it comes around.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just realized all this retcon complaining is about a book that has yet to be released, so I'm going to call BS on it. While I doubt you will see as much of KotOR 2 lore in TOR as the original, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to ignore it.

I just realized all this retcon complaining is about a book that has yet to be released, so I'm going to call BS on it. While I doubt you will see as much of KotOR 2 lore in TOR as the original, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to ignore it.

Well, TOR pretty much confirms that Visas Marr helped rebuild the Jedi order. So you are right, they aren't ignoring it.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/inhabitants/miraluka

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The only thing that passed through my mind was, Call of Deus Ex; Chronicles of Modern Warfare.

Music was great though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Music was good for the first 48 seconds.

Yup, that's about it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Instead of thinking of this in any way as Syndicate reboot I consider it "Market Forces - The Videogame" which could actually be pretty cool.

Does'nt really do any good in playing mindgames, it's Syndicate no matter what you call it yourself. Developers intentions and all that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

http://www.gog.com/en/news/milestone_achie...rd_for_everyone

Broken Sword DC version now FREE on GOG. Click on Download to add it to your library, as I *assume* this offer will be taken down later.

I had assumed otherwise, but thanks for making me check.

"The special offer for Broken Sword is valid until October 1, at 7:59 a.m. EDT (11:59 a.m. GMT), so be sure to grab it by then and don