Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
516 replies to this topic

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

What do you mean with delay fiasco? Blizzard never released on time.

I'm not Oner, but I would imagine he is talking about the fact that SC2 was split into three games instead of it just being one.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, god thanks there's more SC2 coming, 'cause I like playing more campaign.

The game wasn't split in 3. One main game + 2 expansions.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4655 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've got a bridge to sell you.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I do remember very well the outcry when Blizz announced to have SC2 split into 3 games.

If Blizzard just said "Okay, listen, one main game + 2 expansions", people would have said "Oh that's cool".

But some people do get very sentimental about these little things.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7015 posts
  • Backer

What do you mean with delay fiasco? Blizzard never released on time.

Blizz: We'll try to release the game in 2009.
*SC2 delayed 'till 2010*
Fans: You sold out to Activision!/You lied to us! etc etc

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2754 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
More TOR related gubbins.
A general interview with Daniel Erickson (the guy holding the reins on the writers group for TOR)

Eurogamer Expo - totalbiscuit interviews Daniel Erickson

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I do remember very well the outcry when Blizz announced to have SC2 split into 3 games.

If Blizzard just said "Okay, listen, one main game + 2 expansions", people would have said "Oh that's cool".

No. They would still be pretty pissed off that their favourite faction's campaign was dumped into an expansion. But then again it's Blizzard. They have enough lemmings to buy anything they make, so they don't really have to care about some fan backlash.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4655 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

When you work for bobby kotick and start releasing campaigns one at a time, it's not "expansions" we're talking about. :)

Also, kind of what Fluoride said.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3228 posts
I always chuckle when I hear that name (Kotick), since it means "kitten" in Russian.

Edited by sorophx, 26 September 2011 - 10:36 AM.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2109 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I always chuckle when I hear that name (Kotick), since it means "kitten" in Russian.

Now you made me to hate all kittens :'(

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Bioware Ireland customer service office opens, to staff up to 400 people

400 people for customer service? Not even Blizzard throws that many bodies at WoW...Bio sure does believe in TOR.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2988 posts

400 people for customer service? Not even Blizzard throws that many bodies at WoW...Bio sure does believe in TOR.

Hell, why wouldn't they? The world is filled with idiots; present company excluded of course. :)

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9841 posts

Hell, why wouldn't they? The world is filled with idiots; present company excluded of course. :)

Maybe they expect a lot of bugs? :)

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7250 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Maybe they expect a lot of bugs? :)

I'm guessing Blizzard has a pretty large customer service department to deal with WoW as well. I wonder if this is a good idea. Typically when a popular MMO is released, the developers scramble to hire more staff and put up new servers as they realize they are unprepared for the influx. Then after about 3 months the subscription numbers drop, they lay off a bunch of folks, and start merging servers. WoW is one of the few that continued to grow.

But it will probably lead to a smoother launch, so that's a plus.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Unreal Engine 4 ready around 2014

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8231 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
A brief review of ME2 done by one of the most famous online Trek reviewers (SFdebris)

http://sfdebris.com/...masseffect2.asp

Also has a quick sum up of everything from ME1

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Lionsgate developing movie based on Dead Island trailer

Well that's like totally surprising. On the one hand, some really talented directors have to fight to the brink of mental breakdown to get an extra $5 million to get their dream film get going, on the other side we see Hollywood studios squandering money with stuff like that.

:thumbsup:

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2754 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Another brief bit about TOR

European Expo - Meet and Greet Q&A Highlights

Daniel Erickson and Stephen Reid providing the answers..

Along with this short note of interest..

SR: I'm going to tell you where the European servers are, but you're not allowed to freak out. The European servers are going to be located in Ireland, in Dublin.

DE: Don't tell them the address, they'll go now. Mission impossible.

SR: And here's the reason you're not allowed to freak out. Ireland, as a country, is upgrading its internet infrastructure for our game. Which is a big damn deal, right? I had a conversation with the guy who's doing the server build a few months ago. They were talking about the fact that if you look at the gap in time between when we were guessing to launch and then when we were starting to do our servers, because you're obviously locking down the server hardware and what you need to buy and everything else. The time between that point and launch is so small that we are ramping up and buying hardware faster than any tech project ever. Faster than Google. Faster than Facebook. And this is what we're hearing from the server guys who are working on it, they're like, "This is unprecedented scaling you're talking about." So when you combine that and you go to the Irish government or whoever it is who runs internet in Ireland, and you say, "Hey, look at the bandwidth requirements of our game." And they're like, "Uhm, we might need to get something bigger than a T1 line." So they are literally upgrading the internet infrastructure of the country itself. Which I think is damn cool. And then the US servers are going to be on east coast and west coast. So it doesn't really matter where. Any major metropolitan city in that case is going to be fine.

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 869 posts

SR: And here's the reason you're not allowed to freak out. Ireland, as a country, is upgrading its internet infrastructure for our game. Which is a big damn deal, right?

It's actually quite funny that he thinks upgrading Irish internet will somehow help players from outside the UK area.
On the plus side this may mean no GoA for European release.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
All this subscription fee money will be directly transfered to the Irish government. Then EA comes and just buys Ireland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users