RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

Bioware Ireland customer service office opens, to staff up to 400 people

400 people for customer service? Not even Blizzard throws that many bodies at WoW...Bio sure does believe in TOR.

Hell, why wouldn't they? The world is filled with idiots; present company excluded of course. :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

400 people for customer service? Not even Blizzard throws that many bodies at WoW...Bio sure does believe in TOR.

Hell, why wouldn't they? The world is filled with idiots; present company excluded of course. :)

Maybe they expect a lot of bugs? :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe they expect a lot of bugs? :)

I'm guessing Blizzard has a pretty large customer service department to deal with WoW as well. I wonder if this is a good idea. Typically when a popular MMO is released, the developers scramble to hire more staff and put up new servers as they realize they are unprepared for the influx. Then after about 3 months the subscription numbers drop, they lay off a bunch of folks, and start merging servers. WoW is one of the few that continued to grow.

But it will probably lead to a smoother launch, so that's a plus.

Lionsgate developing movie based on Dead Island trailer

Well that's like totally surprising. On the one hand, some really talented directors have to fight to the brink of mental breakdown to get an extra $5 million to get their dream film get going, on the other side we see Hollywood studios squandering money with stuff like that.

:thumbsup:

Another brief bit about TOR

European Expo - Meet and Greet Q&A Highlights

Daniel Erickson and Stephen Reid providing the answers..

Along with this short note of interest..

SR: I'm going to tell you where the European servers are, but you're not allowed to freak out. The European servers are going to be located in Ireland, in Dublin.

DE: Don't tell them the address, they'll go now. Mission impossible.

SR: And here's the reason you're not allowed to freak out. Ireland, as a country, is upgrading its internet infrastructure for our game. Which is a big damn deal, right? I had a conversation with the guy who's doing the server build a few months ago. They were talking about the fact that if you look at the gap in time between when we were guessing to launch and then when we were starting to do our servers, because you're obviously locking down the server hardware and what you need to buy and everything else. The time between that point and launch is so small that we are ramping up and buying hardware faster than any tech project ever. Faster than Google. Faster than Facebook. And this is what we're hearing from the server guys who are working on it, they're like, "This is unprecedented scaling you're talking about." So when you combine that and you go to the Irish government or whoever it is who runs internet in Ireland, and you say, "Hey, look at the bandwidth requirements of our game." And they're like, "Uhm, we might need to get something bigger than a T1 line." So they are literally upgrading the internet infrastructure of the country itself. Which I think is damn cool. And then the US servers are going to be on east coast and west coast. So it doesn't really matter where. Any major metropolitan city in that case is going to be fine.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

SR: And here's the reason you're not allowed to freak out. Ireland, as a country, is upgrading its internet infrastructure for our game. Which is a big damn deal, right?

It's actually quite funny that he thinks upgrading Irish internet will somehow help players from outside the UK area.

On the plus side this may mean no GoA for European release.

That is pretty cool that a game company is working directly with an entire government to upgrade their infrastructure.

I smell a conspiracy...Illuminati!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Ireland is bankrupt anyway, isn't it? Might be for sale cheap. Turn it into a subsidiary and have joint elections for president of both

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

SWTOR's tie in novel appears to be retconning Kotor 2 completely

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi. Oh, Nihilus' power doesn't exist, in fact it can't exist. A big deal is made that the Emperor does the same thing and its something nobody has ever experienced before. The planet he stripped of the force to empower himself is very traumatic to Meetra, despite her in the game being the same thing. So, that part of the story of KOTOR 2 is retconned. Along with everything that came with it.

I hope this is just a fake or something because that REALLY doesn't sit well with me. Ugh.

Well, did anyone expect him not to? Drew Karpshyn is a fairly untalented guy anyway, his work on both Kotor and ME proves it. Not that I'd want Chris Avellone to write Star Wars either, he, like a lot of other authors, introduced concept that just don't fit in the Star Wars universe.

EDIT: And I guess some could find that cool, but I liked my Star Wars when it was three cheesy movies that were a lot of fun and there was nothing more to worry than that. Knights of the Old Republic was nice because it echoed that cheesiness, though I'm not sure whether it was all a conscious effort.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Ireland is bankrupt anyway, isn't it? Might be for sale cheap. Turn it into a subsidiary and have joint elections for president of both

village_idiot.gif

Whats the reason behind it? They don't like it or they think nobody likes Kotor2?

Ever asked why Kotor 2 isn't on Steam, while Kotor 1 is?

LA/EA/BIO don't wanna have Obsidian in the picture. They want them to be non-existant. Like they never made the game. This is nothing personal of course, just game business as usual.

Whats the reason behind it? They don't like it or they think nobody likes Kotor2?

LA/EA/BIO don't wanna have Obsidian in the picture. They want them to be non-existant. Like they never made the game. This is nothing personal of course, just game business as usual.

Conspiracies!

But wasn't it Kotor 2 that established the whole Revan disappears and chases after the True Sith plot that forms the main storyline of SWTOR? Seems a little weird that they'd want nothing to do with Kotor 2 and yet form the background storyline of SWTOR around a plot that was set up in the game.

SWTOR's tie in novel appears to be retconning Kotor 2 completely

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi. Oh, Nihilus' power doesn't exist, in fact it can't exist. A big deal is made that the Emperor does the same thing and its something nobody has ever experienced before. The planet he stripped of the force to empower himself is very traumatic to Meetra, despite her in the game being the same thing. So, that part of the story of KOTOR 2 is retconned. Along with everything that came with it.

I hope this is just a fake or something because that REALLY doesn't sit well with me. Ugh.

Nice, another reason not to buy this game.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yeah, I can imagine them wishing it away, but I don't think it's related so much to Obsidian as to the game's overall quality (which, well, at least LA deserves a big chunk of "credit" for). Also re: Karpyshyn's writing, I think he's been getting progressively worse over the last couple of years. ME: Deception was a really poor showing on all counts.

As for the 2nd hand information. If it's true, it sucks, but most of the time these things aren't. :p

Edit: I just remembered he was behind that butchery Throne of Bhaal. Yeah, it's a miracle I managed to read the first two ME novels, I guess.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Anyway, she goes and finds this world and eventually ends up on the Imperial Capital. She finds Scourge, gets him to help her rescue Revan since he was told by him that a rescue would be coming and go and face the Emperor. Oh, Meetra is completely overwhelmed by Scourges master Sith through the use of Sith Lighting until Revan comes out and murderizes her to save the damsel. Anyway, they go face the Emperor where the three of them go face to face, until Scourge gets a vision of a different Jedi facing the Emperor. Figuring this must be the red skinned bastard's eventual killer, he stabs Meetra in the back with his lightsaber and the Emperor electrocutes Revan into submission. He locks Revan up in cryo to spend time plumbing his mind for information to help with his takeover of the Republic. Meetra's spirit refuses to join the Force and sticks with Revan to help him resist. Revan puts thoughts of caution into the Emperor's head, which is how he delays the coming invasion. The end.

What is this I don't even...

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.