Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What would you like to see in a Dungeon Siege IV?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2366 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think the main thing I would want in a sequel would be a world that simply feels a bit larger, with a bit more branching. A bit more content where the player has to search in order to find it. DS3 has sidequests and optional objectives but it's pretty much put right in the path of the main quest anyways so it's sorta pointless in that regard. Less of a corridor-design overall, open the quests and areas up a bit.

As far as the more "classic" RPG stuff goes, convos and choices and all that. Well, I'm the type of guy that will pretty much always welcome more choices in games so I would welcome that personally. But, what I mentioned above would be my number one thing to improve upon in a sequel I think.

Sannom

Sannom

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Backer

I think the main thing I would want in a sequel would be a world that simply feels a bit larger, with a bit more branching. A bit more content where the player has to search in order to find it. DS3 has sidequests and optional objectives but it's pretty much put right in the path of the main quest anyways so it's sorta pointless in that regard. Less of a corridor-design overall, open the quests and areas up a bit.

Yeah, it's funny because I think DS3 has some good old BG2-like side-quests in Raven's Rill, with Gunderic Manor and the Crypt of Heroes being entire dungeons dedicated to side-quests, and they are off the beaten path, even if not by much. Of course the player will always receive the quests, but still, I thought it was nice. Unless I missed something mandatory to do in those dungeons? For example, do we have to complete Gunderic Manor to get our second companion after the bridge? I'm playing Katarina and wanted to do the Manor with Lucas, but he wasn't at the bridge. Also, funny that you get a bigger insight into Leona's character by doing her quest after freeing Raven's Rill.

But later, there are no more of those. More dungeons like that in Stonebridge at least would have been nice!

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1876 posts
Critical damage needs to be better explained. Right now I have no idea if the trade offs are worth it.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
People seriously want a sequel to this underwhelming and unremarkable game?

Please.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4077 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Please.

Oh, my. Other eople have different opinions than Morgoth. On the Obsidian boards. The horror. :p

(Meant as a joke)

Edited by C2B, 03 August 2011 - 10:20 AM.

Monokli

Monokli

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

More side-quest, party interaction (and possibly a crafting system) would summarize what I mean by "make it more of a proper RPG". Admittedly, that's a very low entry bar, but with the current state of the genre. :p

Oh, ok. :) What I liked about DSIII was that the companions also interacted with the NPCs at times. I hope they build up on that too.

ds2 had that too. And there was interaction between companions too! (kinda like Baldur's Gate 2, but more rigid in application) And the potential of the Flick system is limitless

AlexeZ

AlexeZ

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts

I do it because of my own values. Yes, I have problems when someone insults an industry with "They work not hard enough" especially when said industry constantly gets press about how much they are overworked. And I'm sure as hell going to call you out for it.

I know that I am late for this but!

If you do find me an "industry" that does NOT have pressure against them, its either the governement or totally illegal.

I'm sorry but nowadays there's pressure EVERYWHERE, if you want to make money, you gotta work harder, faster and better than the guy next to you, otherwise you're gone.

I speak from working as a carpenter for 5 years in Canada (INCLUDING outside, during winter: down to -40 F (& C))
and now I am in Financial Planning, and I DO have to sell at LEAST 10% more than last year, every years (That means about 9.5 m $ sales this year) not to mention all the annoying things I have to do aswell.

So please mind your stuff, you act like someone who never worked.

And if there's anyone currently working at a permanent Job that doesnt get crushed from pressure by a daily basis... feel free to pm me or to hit reply.

I made it short because I felt like it wasnt worth it to reply to that kind of irrevelant argument.

Here goes my happy ending! :
Don't cry over spilt milk.

Monokli

Monokli

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
DS2 also had side quests for every single hireable (the dev name for actors that could become party members) actor: Taar's investigation, Finala's Contempt, Amren's Visions, Vix's Vengeance (poor sod lost his whole squads to body-possessing shard souls from Zaramoth's army encased in crystals and recently freed by the Dark Wizards. [btw you know all that right lorebook-diggers?]), Lothar's quest to clear his name because somebody framed him for theft or something. Quite off the beaten path.

Also awesome scavenger hunt for lelani and finding all the ghosts of aranna...

As for party system: DS2 makes ds3 look like it (ds3) was made before 2005: 4 party member (5 on vet, 6 on elite, many more with mods) slots to boot, each can be filled with characters of any combinations of Nature Magic, Combat Magic, Melee and Ranged proficency, deep skill system with good interactions: As a 2h character it was still worth putting points into Alacrity for IAS (increased attack speed). Later on Fist of Stone(Reinhart) and Blood Assassin(Cat) in the expansion: they were super awesome.

In creating your party you were given much much much options (which makes ds3 more sad): You could fill your party with a mix of mages only and still win because of summons. Or with fist of stone you could have a full melee heavily armored squadron zergrushing over everyone. A pack of Blood Assassins was also something to behold (with bas being remarkably good on their own), while a balanced team of melee, combat, nature and archer was still a viable and good option.

Then no need to get into being able to customize said melee character into armored tank dude, two-handed sledge-tossing beast of war, or a dual wielder capable of quickly killing enemies with dozens of cuts(and regenerating health with life steal gear).

powers (which were the equivalent of skills in ds3) were just an extra touch for combat. They did have nice particle effects, but were not the necessary part of regular combat. (not next-gen sprite graphics of the gunderic skeleton mages)

These are all things I'd like to see in DS4
- I'd also like to see a map editor,
- a complete script reference for modding,
- plugins for 3dsmax/gmax,
- customizeable characters both in view and gameplay,
- ds1-2 inventory since it is a lot better if you have a quick overview of your set,
- paperdoll view,
- bigger world,
- less blurry graphics (srsly I had to tone down settings just not to feel like I'm wearing glasses made for people with eye problems),
- more particle effects and less sprites,
- more summons,
- character classes,
- race selection (gimme me dwarf/elf/dryad/half-giants back),
- krug,
- morden,
- cinbri,
- dragon miniguns, lightning guns, flamethrowers, grenade and napalm launchers instead of a silly, unimaginative staple gunslinger lescanzi girl (WTF are the lescanzi doing in ehb btw? they are on the other end of the ds2deluxe ****en map!!!)
- Goblin Robo Suit,
- The Warding Staff,
- Less crap pulled out of dev test files just to defile what was in ds1 and ds2 ingame: Found the archon actually: it's a dev test object, level 2, and looks like a floating orb of flame (ie: no naked women)
- Seck! Gom! Oh Yeah!
- Dragons! Scorch yeah!
- Glacern (writing department raped the whole town)
- moar dwarves!
- Wesrin Cross! (the spider dungeon)
- mucosae
- no more messed up geography,
- goblins not portrayed as a generic steampunk band. They used electricity and internal combustion engines by the time it was ds1. They should have revolutionarized warfare in ds3 yet you show them as steam punks which they were NOT!. They were references to both Gas Powered Games (as in powered by gas NOT steam you know) total annihilation which you can not call steampunk under any circumstances!
- heaters, proxos, perforators, copters, tesla coils, they were already in ds1
- beholders (fury den)
- Ice warriors and archers
- Klaws
- Swamp monsters
- First ppl crap removed: only remote witches lived in the eastern swamp. they were outcasts/hermits.
- less portrayal of azunite church as a church millitant: it's again defilement of the ds canon.
- multiplayer content!
- skyboxes (wanna see the sky)
- better camera
- legion, lescanzi and other bullcrap magic returned to glorious combat/nature magic.
- persistent characters
- return of the siege engine. It's THAT awesome. Just add polygons to it.
- playable content: It's ok if you want to tell a story but why didn't you cut the budget and made an interactive book from get-go?

And finally Space Siege 2 should be made by crytek instead of obsidian. imo.

leeloodallas

leeloodallas

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 76 posts

Yeah, it's funny because I think DS3 has some good old BG2-like side-quests in Raven's Rill, with Gunderic Manor and the Crypt of Heroes being entire dungeons dedicated to side-quests, and they are off the beaten path, even if not by much. Of course the player will always receive the quests, but still, I thought it was nice. Unless I missed something mandatory to do in those dungeons? For example, do we have to complete Gunderic Manor to get our second companion after the bridge? I'm playing Katarina and wanted to do the Manor with Lucas, but he wasn't at the bridge. Also, funny that you get a bigger insight into Leona's character by doing her quest after freeing Raven's Rill.

But later, there are no more of those. More dungeons like that in Stonebridge at least would have been nice!

About Lucas... Just play a little more. /spoiler Kat was my first playthrough.

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Please.

Oh, my. Other eople have different opinions than Morgoth. On the Obsidian boards. The horror. :p

(Meant as a joke)

I think this kind of work can have the possibility for sequel than something like Alpha Protocol does. I think the essential part of the game is if the game delivers the core game-play without problems. Of course, people has their likes and dislikes but most of reviews I read complained of the lack of the content while appreciating what already exists more or less. While AP can be an underrated masterpiece, no publisher would pay the bill for the possible sequel. I don't know about the decision of Square Enix but I think something like DSIII would have better chance. Since Obsidian doesn't have the luxury to spend as much as time they like for a game, I think this is more practical approach.

That said, while I had been quite vocal in the boards, I haven't bought the game. I played the demo with both characters but I ended up with confirming that this game-play (I wonder if I'm allowed to call it "hack-and-slash") is not my cup of tea. I simply cannot get myself into the game even enough to decide if the game-play is good or bad. I'm surprised by how indifferent I can be to what's going on the screen. :lol: So, personally, a sequel wouldn't make me excited but I'd like Obsidian to stay on business for possible other works.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1876 posts
The same button could be used for standard attack and interact. This way an extra button would be freed up for abilities. It would be better if all ranged/AOE abilities were together, otherwise I keep constantly having to switch stances, hitting the wrong button and forgetting useful abilities in the heat of the battle. This is a problem with Rheinhart, don't know about other characters. Better yet, how about being able to re-map buttons, so you can put your favorite abilities in the same stance/selection?

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4077 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I do it because of my own values. Yes, I have problems when someone insults an industry with "They work not hard enough" especially when said industry constantly gets press about how much they are overworked. And I'm sure as hell going to call you out for it.

I know that I am late for this but!

If you do find me an "industry" that does NOT have pressure against them, its either the governement or totally illegal.

I'm sorry but nowadays there's pressure EVERYWHERE, if you want to make money, you gotta work harder, faster and better than the guy next to you, otherwise you're gone.

I speak from working as a carpenter for 5 years in Canada (INCLUDING outside, during winter: down to -40 F (& C))
and now I am in Financial Planning, and I DO have to sell at LEAST 10% more than last year, every years (That means about 9.5 m $ sales this year) not to mention all the annoying things I have to do aswell.

So please mind your stuff, you act like someone who never worked.

Depends and no. If you actually read my posts (Especially where I talked about my own work): Yes, there is pressure everywhere. (Workplace competition alone though can be a non-issue depending on the job you work in. Though naturally you still have to bring performance otherwise you'll be fired anyway. Just remarking here.)

At the same time is it normal for you to work overtime nearly every day? Thats normal work for you? I'm not talking about normal work conditions here because yes, you can't normaly just sit back. Thats not my point at all. The video game industry is notorious for crunch. Thats just a fact. Other industrys have different problems (or/and the same in some cases). I did not once meant or made the attempt to insult them here.

By the way. While I never worked myself as a carpenter I did help out one (And one of my best friends has taken the profession). I'm also doing a lot of work as a hobby. (Mostly fixing (smaller, of course :thumbsup: ) stuff on the farm) I don't really have the same climatic condition as you so outside work is a lot easier for me, though.

Short Summary: I did not mean to offend you at all. My reason for these posts was with the "They do not work hard enough". I never once specified that this only happens in the games industry. Just that said industry is notorious for crunch time.

Edited by C2B, 05 August 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Renevent

Renevent

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 247 posts
Most jobs do NOT require working 60-80 hours a week or going through 3-6 month long crunch times where you work 6-7 days a week. I'm sorry, anyone who thinks most people work like this is out of their mind. There's very few industries where you will see this kind of thing, and for some reason video game development is one of them.

For reference I am a Sr. DBA at a subsidiary of a very large company (one of the largest in the world)...40 hours a week most of the time. Sure, I stayed up until 3am last night helping the web team roll out an update during off hours, but this type of thing is rare. Sometimes I do overtime, hour here, hour there. Some weeks there is quite a bit of extra work...but I have never had a work week anywhere near what I hear game devs go through....and they do it for months at a time.

I guess making games isn't as fun as playing them...my point is these guys work hard as hell have a little respect and understanding of what these fine folks actually do.

*edit*

I actually wanted to be a game dev early on...then I read about the hours...then I saw the salaries...F THAT! The people who make games do it because they love it, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Edited by Renevent, 05 August 2011 - 05:25 PM.

bradleypariah

bradleypariah

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:bradleypariah

Please.

(Meant as a joke)

That was a funny, and well deserved slap in the face. :lol:

Edited by bradleypariah, 06 August 2011 - 05:10 PM.

Raikiri123

Raikiri123

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
No, I don't want any Dungeon Siege IV. I want DLC and expansion for Dungeon Siege 3, and I want it NOW!

J Jonah Jameson

J Jonah Jameson

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
I'd want square enix be completely removed from any further production in the pc sector, they ruin whatever they touch.

I'd also prefer real pc games including mod-ability, offline play and above all steamless.
DS4/3 DLC/expansion, if they fix the fundamental flaws I'd be all up for it, not going to happen though, that much squeenix made sure of.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts

I'd want square enix be completely removed from any further production in the pc sector, they ruin whatever they touch.

I'd also prefer real pc games including mod-ability, offline play and above all steamless.
DS4/3 DLC/expansion, if they fix the fundamental flaws I'd be all up for it, not going to happen though, that much squeenix made sure of.

I would like to add to this a demand that the CEO of Square Enix issue an official apology before stepping down and quitting the industry forever. After this he should live on a deserted island as a hermit for the rest of his life and think about what he has done.

Also I demand that the production of all game consoles be stopped immediately as well as the production of any console exclusive or multiplatform games.

And a pony.

MonkeyLungs

MonkeyLungs

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 391 posts
What kind of pony?

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
One I can ride around the SE headquarters when the angry masses rise up and demand their blood.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1876 posts
Would be nice to have a couple more hubs. The endgame arrived a little abruptly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users