Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
581 replies to this topic

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If that version of Shepard is on the box, I will join all you whiners, but for the moment, I'm under the impression that it was a one-off for PAX/the announcement. The box art/in-game will feature the one voted for, just like Shepardloo isn't in some caricature format.

Didn't they already say that it's going to be set up with Male Shep on the front of the box, but femshep will be on the back? It was something like that I seem to recall being mentioned when they first brought it up... :o

CuseGirl

CuseGirl

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts

Game still looks awesome.

hottest girl on television

Nihilus5078

Nihilus5078

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 664 posts
I love how people bitch and whine about the silliest things. For one time in my life, it's actually amusing.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3908 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
this kinda silliness is actually rather traditional and nostalgic 'round these parts. sure, is not exact parallel, but there is a die hard element that has been claiming that a major reason why ps:t were a financial failure is 'cause of the box art. *snort* oddly enough, there were an ign article that detailed the making o' ps:t box art... showed pictures o' guido henkel getting the makeup treatment. ps:t box art were kewl in april or july o' 1999. don't recall too many protests when the article were still being read the first time by those anticipating ps:t. nevertheless, there is a decade-long tradition o' interplay/black isle/obsidan fandom suggesting that box art transgressions is serious biz.

HA! Good Fun!

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
planescape torment had no push.

i was at my local gamestore the morning it was released bright and early expecting a big rush of people there to pick it up. i hoped there would be enough copies.

instead i get there, see no one but the employees in the store.

i run to the new releases, don't see it.

oh wait there it is, 2 copies on the bottom shelf, not even faced out. i ask the employees if the game was released last week and i just didnt have the release date right?

they both say "wha? never heard of this game. looks weird, yeah i dont think anyone has heard of this"

i reply "its from the team that made fallout 1 and 2..."

blank stares.

so when people say ps:T didn't sell because of ______ i always say "it didn't sell cause no one knew what it was, who made it, when it was released, or what it was about." the game was a complete sleeper title. i dont know why either, because EVERYONE knew about baldurs gate.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9696 posts

i dont know why either, because EVERYONE knew about baldurs gate.

Just speculation on my part, maybe the D&D name still carried a bit of weight in the late 90'es? Whereas the Planescape setting would at best get raised eyebrows and a "say wut?"?

I laugh at your funny faces. Real men play with default Shepard (either that, or I just don't care enough to fiddle around with sliders, short of constantly clicking a randomize button).

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

planescape torment had no push.

i was at my local gamestore the morning it was released bright and early expecting a big rush of people there to pick it up. i hoped there would be enough copies.

instead i get there, see no one but the employees in the store.

i run to the new releases, don't see it.

oh wait there it is, 2 copies on the bottom shelf, not even faced out. i ask the employees if the game was released last week and i just didnt have the release date right?

they both say "wha? never heard of this game. looks weird, yeah i dont think anyone has heard of this"

i reply "its from the team that made fallout 1 and 2..."

blank stares.

so when people say ps:T didn't sell because of ______ i always say "it didn't sell cause no one knew what it was, who made it, when it was released, or what it was about." the game was a complete sleeper title. i dont know why either, because EVERYONE knew about baldurs gate.

I didn't even hear about PS:T until after it came out. I will admit, the artwork didn't exactly inspire me to buy it either. I also admit I waited until it was in the bargain bin to pick it up.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3908 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
is amazing how personal experiences differ. we got ps:t on day 1 from a local computer gaming store at a nearby mall in CA. at the front o' the store were a cardboard cutout some 4' tall that included images o' tno and most o' the ps:t joinables. we cannot speak to how the game itself were displayed on shelves because Gromnir arrived almost contemporaneous with the delivery... were still in shipping box behind counter.

also, for you folks who claim that ps:t were under the radar for mostest o' the crpg world, we calls bs. really. ign did more than a dozen stories on the game for the year leading up to release, and we can recall more than a few print stories in magazines such as cgw. am not certain how many ps:t full-page and 2-page ads we saw in print magazines, but it were more than a few. virtual every online magazine site had some ps:t preview in which the writers were obviously drooling to get their grubby little mitts on the game. additionally, our totsc disk had a nice long preview/advertisement for ps:t... although we concede that while the preview got kewl points, it were more than a little inscrutable.

there were many problems with ps:t, but lack o' marketing is hardly at the top o' the list.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we always regret that we did not go back to the game store where we purchased ps:t... coulda' made an offer on the advertising display. we gots a 1987 buick grand national gnx, but am thinking that the advertising display would top it for geek love... and would be easier to maintain.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

is amazing how personal experiences differ. we got ps:t on day 1 from a local computer gaming store at a nearby mall in CA. at the front o' the store were a cardboard cutout some 4' tall that included images o' tno and most o' the ps:t joinables. we cannot speak to how the game itself were displayed on shelves because Gromnir arrived almost contemporaneous with the delivery... were still in shipping box behind counter.

also, for you folks who claim that ps:t were under the radar for mostest o' the crpg world, we calls bs. really. ign did more than a dozen stories on the game for the year leading up to release, and we can recall more than a few print stories in magazines such as cgw. am not certain how many ps:t full-page and 2-page ads we saw in print magazines, but it were more than a few. virtual every online magazine site had some ps:t preview in which the writers were obviously drooling to get their grubby little mitts on the game. additionally, our totsc disk had a nice long preview/advertisement for ps:t... although we concede that while the preview got kewl points, it were more than a little inscrutable.

there were many problems with ps:t, but lack o' marketing is hardly at the top o' the list.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we always regret that we did not go back to the game store where we purchased ps:t... coulda' made an offer on the advertising display. we gots a 1987 buick grand national gnx, but am thinking that the advertising display would top it for geek love... and would be easier to maintain.

I don't know about the marketing, I just know my own experiences with it, which is what I stated above. It does look like it was sandwiched between two games I heavily played, X-Wing Alliance and Diablo 2 (followed by BG2 if I recall correctly). Somehow it just got missed in there.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
On the FB page for Bioware -

We can officially confirm that there will be a multiplayer feature in Mass Effect 3. However, please reserve your appraisal until we are able to give more information. Our Executive Producer Casey Hudson says it best: "Yes, co-op MP missions for ME3: they're real, and they're spectacular. Rest assured it's nothing of what you've feared. More soon..."

Tune in for a special BioWareTV episode at 10AM on Wednesday October 12th to have all your questions answered!

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6479 posts
Still trying to capture that CoD crowd, I see.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4367 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Coop multiplayer?! It's going to SUCK like bg1 and 2 did!! Totally sold out! What will EA force them to do next?!

Am I doing it right?

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6479 posts
Hey, I don't care much as long as I can play as a Hanar.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9377 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You can be the Hanar. I'll be the Volus.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Coop multiplayer?! It's going to SUCK like bg1 and 2 did!! Totally sold out! What will EA force them to do next?!

Am I doing it right?

You can't punch shadows, you know.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
is it offline coop? i might enjoy playing it with my wife if its a splitscreen co-op. otherwise i'll just ignore it and play single player like the first 2 games.

i always support offline co-op game modes in video games. offline multiplayer has been fun for me since contra and bubble bobble.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2684 posts
What the **** is wrong with games today? Every damn thing has to have multiplayer today ;)

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija
As the last episode of the Shepard Trilogy, for them to even waste any dev time at all on this is ridiculous.

All that dev time should have been spent on making the engine, story and other mechanics better. I think I'll cancel my pre-order of Mass Effect III. This is the type of direction they really should not be pursuing. After what they did with DA II, it seems BioWare are really out of touch with themselves...

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2684 posts

As the last episode of the Shepard Trilogy, for them to even waste any dev time at all on this is ridiculous.

All that dev time should have been spent on making the engine, story and other mechanics better. I think I'll cancel my pre-order of Mass Effect III. This is the type of direction they really should not be pursuing. After what they did with DA II, it seems BioWare are really out of touch with themselves...

Oh no they aren't out of touch with themselves, Ray and Greg have moved on to greener pastures and left the company to newer hands who seem to be doing all of the ****ing up. So its that they aren't themselves.

Ice9

Ice9

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 89 posts
Meh. At this point I'm indifferent to multiplayer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users