Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

STEAM!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
550 replies to this topic

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

L.A. Noire for 12,50 EUR.

Only 1 month out and already 75% off. Not bad.

I think Rosbjerg mentioned the PC port was really ****ty.

They also released a patch recently which fixed most glitches. Still, haven't bought it because I already played a bit on PS3 and it was just boring.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4002 posts
I still can't play it and neither can any of my friends.. the forums are flooded with people having issues.. thank god everyone is being fairly civil about it though. But I think it's gonna take at least 6 months before the game is playable.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1397 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I nearly bought L.A. Noire but then the Rockstar tumour in my brain started to itch, I did a quick search and decided to leave it, I'll see how it looks in a year.

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 503 posts

Is Deus Ex anything more than an over hyped Alpha Protocol?

I didn't realise the two games had anything in common. Wait, I still don't. :down:

Nothing? Seems a fair bit to me - crappy tactical shooter mechanics tacked onto an RPG with your stat based upgrade system that tries to do everything but isn't great in anything, and oh yeah, embarrassing boss battles. Alpha Protocol does do one thing pretty great though, the dialogue system, including it's decent characters. Deus Ex looks like a similiar experience with weaker character interaction, the sole thing that makes Alpha Protocol enjoyable.

GreasyDogMeat

GreasyDogMeat

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1636 posts

Question: Is Dead Island any good? What's the closest game to compare?

Borderlands. Just like Borderlands you have to play it in coop mode or you will probably hate it. Initial impressions of Dead Island were bad for me as the characters are all d-bags and the game isn't all that great in single player. Once I joined someone's game I started having a lot of fun. Still very early in game but I'm glad I got it so far...

I went a bit nuts with the steam sales... :down:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3551 posts
Should I get Arkham city + a PS controller.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6089 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
While I'd rather play Arkham with a gamepad, it works well with M+K, too. In some ways it becomes easier to combo.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4002 posts
Depends on what you are used to. I would prefer a keyboard, but then again I very rarely play console games.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3551 posts
Neither do I, but most games are designed for controllers these days. I tried Arkam Asylum and ran out of buttons on my mouse at about half what I needed. Besides controllers are in their element in a punching game.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yep, even as a PC gamer, you need a Xbox 360 controller these days. Hunted or Batman play os much better with it.

SadExchange

SadExchange

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Backer

Yep, even as a PC gamer, you need a Xbox 360 controller these days. Hunted or Batman play os much better with it.

I will concur with Batman for sure and even playing L.A. Noire lately has been really good with a xbox gamepad.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3551 posts
Do you need a special one for PC or is it USB. Actually with all the cords under my table the wireless one sounds good.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8222 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Do you need a special one for PC or is it USB. Actually with all the cords under my table the wireless one sounds good.

It's USB. Actually, it's the reason you'll never find a wired one at gamestop, they stopped makin em and people either kept em for pc gaming pads, or gave em away with the systems that they traded in.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

A normal 360 pad works, there are official PC drivers on the MS homepage. There's also a wireless version bundled with a WLAN adapter for PC, though it's a bit more expensive.

Don't go with a no-name or PS controller, as these ar often not recognized by games. There are work-arounds, but these are not always optimal.

Edited by Morgoth, 03 January 2012 - 12:32 AM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9792 posts

A normal 360 pad works, there are official PC drivers on the MS homepage. There's also a wireless version bundled with a WLAN adapter for PC, though it's a bit more expensive.

Don't go with a no-name or PS controller, as these ar often not recognized by games. There are work-arounds, but these are not always optimal.

Microsoft's own xbox360 controller for PC's is almost too well recognised by games. I've had quite a few where I needed to physically unplug it because the game refused to use my joystick settings, despite selecting that as input device ;)

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Got L.A. Noire too. Haven't tried it yet though.

People had issues with AA with keyboard and mouse? What else would one use? It was pathetically easy (on normal) to fight. Then again sneaking was the main difficulty, where fighting controls don't matter.

DX:HR's convo-battles are some of the best parts of the game (the worst? Boss fights). Also, both AP, DX and DX:HR share... Pistol is overpowered. Why get a machinegun when it's soooo much more powerful?

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2154 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nothing? Seems a fair bit to me - crappy tactical shooter mechanics tacked onto an RPG with your stat based upgrade system that tries to do everything but isn't great in anything, and oh yeah, embarrassing boss battles. Alpha Protocol does do one thing pretty great though, the dialogue system, including it's decent characters. Deus Ex looks like a similiar experience with weaker character interaction, the sole thing that makes Alpha Protocol enjoyable.

What a joke. Deus Ex is enjoyable for it's game play, story and dialogue. AP is a tedious game with good dialogue. Also AP boss battles are worse then DX:HR. The reason DX:HR bosses are so heavily criticized(and rightfully so) is because the rest of the game is so much better.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3551 posts
Does the one with a wireless adapter have a power cord or is it just a small usb dongle type thing. Are the batteries rechargable ? I assume the PC one works on the Xbox as well ?

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9516 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
By default, wireless 360 controllers do not come with a charge cord or rechargeable batteries. You have to buy a "plug and play kit" for that. Some controllers may be packaged with a plug and play kit, but you'll have to double check.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I assume the PC one works on the Xbox as well ?

Yes.

Does the one with a wireless adapter have a power cord or is it just a small usb dongle type thing. Are the batteries rechargable ?

No. Btw, I was wrong when I said they come bundled. The WLAN adapter is a seperate device, you can get one very cheaply on ebay if you want. The wireless 360 pad needs 2 AA batteries, or alternatively, the a charging Kit (akkumulator with USB cord, ~20 bucks).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users