STEAM!

Gorth

DXHR was a more polished game and it had a better combination of features that interlinked together. AP was more schizophrenic, more up and down, and sometimes downright odd. That said, I had a lot more fun with AP, the nonlinearity it provided was really unique these days and the combat also had its fun moments, especially with explosives and the like. I also found the DXHR story/dialogue pretty dull, it flirted with transhumanism stuff but never really got interesting stuff out of it. AP's story wasn't anything special either but it had interesting delivery.

Both good games, maybe one thing AP could have learnt from DXHR is the larger and impressive level design, DXHR from AP the nonlinearity.

I think this is a pretty good comparison, especially regarding the story. While I liked AP (and plan on replaying it after my current DXHR playthough) I personally enjoyed DX:HR more. AP had a lot of what I'd always wanted to see in a DX style game, with the exception of the linear levels.

Oh, and I can totally bench press [insert impressive number here].

• 2 weeks later...
Question: If I add something to my wishlist, will I get a notification if it's on sale?

I thought so, but it appears not.. You will only see if it's on sale when you look at your wishlist.

Fortune favors the bald.

Question: If I add something to my wishlist, will I get a notification if it's on sale?

I thought so, but it appears not.. You will only see if it's on sale when you look at your wishlist.

Better than nothing, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

DX:HR was pretty bland overall, and didn't really have anything memorable about it. All I remember of the game was Garrett or somesuch (what was the protagonist's name again anyway) acting like a complete idiot in cutscenes.

A pity all that nice visual design (of certain locations) is wasted on such a fire-and-forget game.

I suppose that's to be expected - just about the only thing mainstream games experiment with now (sometimes but not all that often) are graphics, everything else is taboo.

Really its fascinating how they shoehorned something as unlimited by definition as art into less than a dozen types. You got your ****ty brown and gunmetal gray shooters, your cartoony WoW deformed fantasy, more or less successful attempts at bland realism and anime inspired versions of the latter two.

PS: I'm simplifying the issue, but there's really too few graphical styles available.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

there was a time i would gladly have paid $5 for DNF. sadly, that time has passed.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I have a few giveaways here. Not running a contest, just shoot me a PM and I'll sort it out by whim.

1) Cogs

2) Deus Ex (original)

3) 2 x The Ship

4) Frozenbyte Collection (Trine and both Shadowgrounds games)

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Also, why doesn't Firefox's spellcheck work with this new interface?

You've picked the Hardcore forum mode? :p

'Worms' is still the best investment I've made in a game for a long time, Steam or otherwise. No silly DRM or Achievements, just sheer unapologetic violence that would put Tom & Jerry to shame.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Last game I bought on Steam was all of the DLC's for FO:NV a few months ago when they were on discount, but I haven't played any of them apart from the phenomenally OWB.. A dosage of the original spirit. Funny, I have been using Steam since 2006, but I find myself more and more divided about the merit of it. I think I actually prefer to own a hard copy of a game rather than a digital version, even though I have to include the noisy sound of a spinning dvd drive and disk errors from scratches into that mixed pleasure.. it's a sentiment from the same alley of thoughts as keeping dusty old books around even though I prefer those with pictures of ducks and text in bubbles. There was a time that games came in boxes full of posters, flag and trinkets.. I miss those days.

Only good thing about Steam is that I don't seem to care as much about the cost with digital money.. Hey, wait a minute, that's bad.

(Signatures: disabled) 

The worst thing now isn't Steam though. It's the fact that the special editions of games are exactly the same as the standard edition, except they have thrown in one more character model and a couple of extra weapons. All digital stuff, and they have the audacity to charge 10 dollars more for it.

I hug my Ultima box filled with playing cards, fabric maps and ankh's before I go to sleep every night :(

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In a decade or two maybe we'll have the trinkets and stuff back with digitally distributed special editions, by way of 3D printing. Of course that's still digital stuff and the regular edition owners can "pirate" the extras but still...

(TPB's already got a section up for 3d model files. >.>)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The worst thing now isn't Steam though. It's the fact that the special editions of games are exactly the same as the standard edition, except they have thrown in one more character model and a couple of extra weapons. All digital stuff, and they have the audacity to charge 10 dollars more for it.

I hug my Ultima box filled with playing cards, fabric maps and ankh's before I go to sleep every night :(

That's why they created collectors editions so they could charge thrice the price for a few trinkets that used to be included for free.

Steam is great if you know how to use it. Never buy full priced unless it's from a dev you want to support.

Meh, even then. Only buy on sale.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can't stand the fact that Steam's new releases are 10-20

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

The personal edition is very rare. Didn't it come with a card game and soundtrack as well?

Actually, the soundtrack was very good, it's a pity it wasn't included in retail (same with Divinity 2). Last retail game I got that came with a soundtrack was Risen.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It can still be bought on Amazon. It may be another special edition but it definitely includes the map and soundtrack. I don't think there's a card game in it though.

This follows the announcement that there were more than five million users online at the same time during Christmas, or around an eighth of its user base. Steam now has 40 million users, along with more than 1,800 games available. Steamworks, the suite of publishing tools, has been integrated into more than 14.5 million registered games

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88697/steam-sales-more-than-double-in-2011/

Steam is it's own platform now. Yeah old article, just didn't think Steams install base was that high.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

And it's NOT more convenient for me to buy from Steam (this is the most common argument they use when trying to justify the prices)! It takes me 20 minutes to go to Webhallen in Uppsala and pick up the game I want. With Steam's crappy servers, downloading a normal full-sized games can take two hours or more.

I have the sudden urge to punch Sweden in the balls.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

That's not just Sweden, you know. Not everyone lives in US, UK or Korea.

Couldn't buy my Crusader Kings II from gamersgate because paypal was being stupid, now I'm waiting for it to unlock on Steam while GG version is already out. That itself is not a big deal, but there's a very, very simple logic - the more middlemen and intervening processes you introduce to the distribution system, the more annoying it is for the consumer.