Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Republican Candidates

• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer
Ok, there has been no secret of my hostility to Obama. He is a walking disaster of a President. Top it off with the fact that he is arrogant, condescending and disdainful of his country and countrymen. But really lets just look at the results of his presidency:

When he took office in 2009 unemplyoment was ay a 20 year high of 7.6%. It is now close to 10%
When he took office, the number of "long-term unemployed" in the United States was approximately 2.6 million. Today, that number is up to 6.2 million.
When he became president, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States was $1.83. Today it is $3.89. This causes the price of food, clothes, everything to increase.
Food and consumables have increased in price by 29% since 2008.
In January 2009, there were nearly 32 million Americans on food stamps. Today, there are more than 44 million on food stamps.
According to the U.S. Census, the number of children living in poverty has gone up by about 2 million in just the past 2 years.
When Barack Obama took office, the U.S. national debt was 10.6 trillion dollars. Today it is 14.3 trillion dollars. It took the US 230 years to accumulate $10.6T, Obama almost doubled it in just three years
The federal government has borrowed 29,660 more dollars per household since Barack Obama signed the economic stimulus law two years ago.
To sum up the last two lines, Barack Obama and the 111th Congress added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses and first 43 Presidents combined.
The combined debt of the major GSEs (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Sallie Mae) has increased from 3.2 trillion in 2008 to 6.4 trillion in 2011. The US Govt now has a financial stake in 63% of ALL home loans.
Under Obama, the U.S. trade deficit continues to grow. The trade deficit was about 33 percent larger in 2010 than it was in 2009, and the 2011 trade deficit is expected to be even bigger.
Only 66.8% of American men had a job last year. That was the lowest level that has ever been recorded in all of U.S. history.
In 2010, more than a million U.S. families lost their homes to foreclosure for the first time ever, and that number is expected to go even higher in 2011. This is because of Dodd-Frank and the CRA.
The U.S. real estate crisis just continues to get worse. During the first three months of this year, less new homes were sold in the U.S. than in any three month period ever recorded.
The U.S. dollar has fallen by 17 percent compared to other major national currencies since 2009. The Fed has intentionally allowed this to happen. The Weimar Republic DID THE SAME THING.
Because of this the Chinese are rapidly dumping U.S. government debt. That is not a good sign.
When Barack Obama first took office, an ounce of gold was going for about $850. Today an ounce of gold cost $1523.00. All of the money driving up the Gold price used to be invested in business.
For the first time in history the US government is forcing to the people to buy a commodity it has control of. If any other entity did this it would be a crime.

My sources for the above are posted below. I don't care who wins the Republican nomination in 2012, I'm voting for them. Obama is an unmitigated disaster.

http://theeconomicco...very-single-day
http://www.goldprice.org/
http://www.bls.gov/o...b/wk2/art02.htm
http://www.bls.gov/o...b/wk2/art02.htm
http://www.bls.gov/n.../pdf/empsit.pdf
http://theeconomicco...-getting-better
http://www.cnsnews.c...5-household-oba
http://www.treasuryd...?application=np
http://www.cnsnews.c...-debt-first-100
http://www.marketora...ticle27872.html
http://www.prnewswir...-116298504.html
China divesting US treasuries

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No way am I getting involved in this argument.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer

But it's fun. Sort of.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8643 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Top it off with the fact that he is arrogant, condescending and disdainful of his country and countrymen.

Of course I'm not American so it may be difficult for me to see it in the same way, GD, but I recall you've consistently mentioned this for years as your major personal problem with Obama. To me, Obama is actually the one that speaks normally and matter-of-factly about his country and countrymen. It's been the various other presidents and/or candidates that won't shut up with the stupid flag-waving crap about how America is super-duper-amazing.

Now, it's 100% right that presidents should believe America rocks, and in many ways, America does rock. Still. I'm fully behind that. But to me the flag-waving is always excessive (i.e. excessive so constantly that the excess is now normal), and sometimes gets in the way of seeing the issues properly. A good president should always start from the basic position that his country rocks and is worth fighting for, but equally ready to speak about where the country is not doing well or needs to take a frank assessment of itself and change. I think this especially comes up in comparison to other countries' presidents - Obama actually still comes out as a stronger defender of America than many other world leaders are of their own countries. Unless we're assuming that Obama, being the US president, should be more arrogant and bullish...

Add to this that Obama was coming on the back of the Bush administration, and then hit the GFC, which was always going to be a time for more sober re-assessing, and I really think he's been quite sensible. I don't have the knowledge to judge his specific policies across the board, but I've never felt that he was bending over for anyone, just not thrusting hsi crotch out like some of the others. I mean, look at the whole thing about him bowing to greet certain world leaders. What is he, Alexander the Great? Are we in the middle ages where emperors get in bitchfights with each other about honorifics? If there was an instance where Obama has clearly let his respect for other nations undermine his defense of American interests/values, I'd be interested to know.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But it's fun. Sort of.

It's alarming, is what it is. especially in light of the Germans trying to sell Europe to Russia so they can skip through meadows singing bloody songs about mountains.

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3739 posts
i thought Gringrich (sp?) sounded pretty strong at the debate.

I hate Bachmann already. She hasn't even formally declared her presidency and is making these grand sweeping generalizations and promises. little early for that when I can't even remember your first name.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8127 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Two things:

One, GD, in your statistics did they show how the prices had changed over time? Or just use a pair of points (one during bush and one during obama) to say "Obama is worse"? I'm pretty sure that the job market issue started after the collapse under Bush due to the initial de-regulation and even now the country is still in a bit of a tailspin because of the famously minimal amount of influence the government has over the economy at the moment.

Two, Krook, most people are considering Gingrich dead in the water after he said that the GOP was using "social engineering" in some of their bills (which he was against) on "Meet the Press" a few weeks ago, followed by his incredibly melodramatic "I'm not dead yet!" press release as read by John Lithgow on Colbert report.

http://www.colbertna...h-press-release

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3739 posts

Two things:

One, GD, in your statistics did they show how the prices had changed over time? Or just use a pair of points (one during bush and one during obama) to say "Obama is worse"? I'm pretty sure that the job market issue started after the collapse under Bush due to the initial de-regulation and even now the country is still in a bit of a tailspin because of the famously minimal amount of influence the government has over the economy at the moment.

Two, Krook, most people are considering Gingrich dead in the water after he said that the GOP was using "social engineering" in some of their bills (which he was against) on "Meet the Press" a few weeks ago, followed by his incredibly melodramatic "I'm not dead yet!" press release as read by John Lithgow on Colbert report.

http://www.colbertna...h-press-release

haha, yeah i know. not to mention half his staff has left him.

but based on the debate alone I thought he was in my top 3.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8127 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
He may be jockeying for a VP nod now. I only saw a little bit of the debate (I'm a dem so they have no real significance to me yet) but michelle bachman got on my nerves with "I'm giving cnn an exclusive! I'm officially in the running for president even though I had to basically confirm I'm running to be on this stage!"

Honestly, right now if I was going to have anyone from the republican party as president, based solely upon the tiny bits I've seen, it'd probably be Mitt.

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3739 posts

He may be jockeying for a VP nod now. I only saw a little bit of the debate (I'm a dem so they have no real significance to me yet) but michelle bachman got on my nerves with "I'm giving cnn an exclusive! I'm officially in the running for president even though I had to basically confirm I'm running to be on this stage!"

Honestly, right now if I was going to have anyone from the republican party as president, based solely upon the tiny bits I've seen, it'd probably be Mitt.

i hated bachmann. everything she says seems so rehearsed. they did a segment called "this or that" for fun with questions like blackberry/iphone and she had a question about johnny cash or someone else and wouldn't even give a direct answer for that. she's a try hard. she definitely sent some bad signals to me.

romney seems so confident it's almost unsettling, but then again - if he can start to back it up with some real plans then maybe he's our guy.

surprisingly, herman cain was also pretty solid.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1530 posts
Perhaps one of the reasons the US is in such a bad state is that apparently no one can tell the difference between debt 'doubling' and a 33% increase.

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts
But yeah, Bachmann is one of the last people you would ever want leading America. Thankfully she's liable to crash and burn as is most fitting for her.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer

Perhaps one of the reasons the US is in such a bad state is that apparently no one can tell the difference between debt 'doubling' and a 33% increase.

Doh, typo on my part. I was in a rush when I typed all that. I actually cut & pasted from a post I made on a different forum but I did not proofread it obviously.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer
So far Herman Cain is the one I have like the most. But I've got nothing against Romney. I'm not a fan of Pawlenty, don't know much about Bachman, and Ron Paul has too many bad associations. Gingrich is a buffoon, Santorum a democrat disguised as a republican, and Jon Huntsman is too vanilla. Palin will not run (thankfully) neither will Christie (too bad) or Thune. Rick Perry might, I could get behind hime if he did. Huckabee is an idiot and Guliani will never appeal to the Red States.

Right now I'm supporting Cain and I think a Romney/Cain ticket would be formidable. But honestly, I'd take Micky Mouse over the fool we have now.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts

So far Herman Cain is the one I have like the most. But I've got nothing against Romney. I'm not a fan of Pawlenty, don't know much about Bachman, and Ron Paul has too many bad associations. Gingrich is a buffoon, Santorum a democrat disguised as a republican, and Jon Huntsman is too vanilla. Palin will not run (thankfully) neither will Christie (too bad) or Thune. Rick Perry might, I could get behind hime if he did. Huckabee is an idiot and Guliani will never appeal to the Red States.

Right now I'm supporting Cain and I think a Romney/Cain ticket would be formidable. But honestly, I'd take Micky Mouse over the fool we have now.

Herman Cain? You mean the nutcase who said he wouldn't sign any bill over 3 pages long?

Hahahahaha.

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts
Yeah, I gotta say Cain is a rather creepy fellow. Not McCain "I walk around like I'm about to keel over and die any moment" creepy, but definitely some kind of creepy.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8127 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The three pages thing sounds REALLY GOOD on paper, but when you actually think about it it's kinda "Bwah?"

And Bachman still scares me.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1530 posts
Herman Cain <---> Herve Caen.

Some might say coincidence, I say there are no coincidences.

Well, he probably couldn't do worse running the US than he's done running Interplay.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer
Jon Huntsman is in. http://politicaltick...eech/?hpt=hp_t2

Keep moving, nothing to see here.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer

The price increases were on food and consumables. There are several reasons why there has been a price increase. First the cost of gasoline & diesel. Everything is delivered by truck, higher transport costs means higher price. Second, ethanol demands have driven up the price of corn (something you must have heard of considering where you are these days). That drives up the price of beef, cooking oil, etc. Neither of those two could really be attributed to Obama. Well, he has (illegally) placed a moratorium on domestic oil exploration in the gulf and Dakota shale fields. This has effectively decreased the supply of oil for fuel refinements so while he did not drive up the price he has certainly not helped bring it down. Quite the opposite. His administration has also refused to permit refinery construction too so that also reduces the supply of fuel for purchase which drives up or at the very least freezes the price. For all his talk of reducing dependency on foreign oil he has done the exact opposite. He has increased it and even gone so far as to force US companies to buy refined fuel from Mexico for the first time in our history. Right now there are two bills in Congress that he favors that will introduce some 6,000 new regulations and compliance rules on all domestic food farms. Compliance with these will drive up the cost of food and quite probably drive a number of smaller private farms out of business. That will decrease the supply and drive up the cost even more. Ironically the big "Agri-Business" corporations he rails against will benefit the most. Small wonder he accepts millions of dollars in donations from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users