Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Great Game!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:KhakiAssassin
Hi

Just registered on the forums to say I love this game :)

I`d read some negative reviews previously and it had stopped me getting the game on the Xbox 360. I`m so glad now that I went ahead and bought it! Having a total blast :lol:

I find the gunplay a bit weak but really enjoy using the martial arts moves. Great missions, characters, leveling and storylines.

Well done Obsidian on a slightly flawed Gem of a game :ermm:

I really hope you make AP2 one day.

Dabu

Dabu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Dabu47
I'm totally with you, man.

Edited by Dabu, 11 June 2011 - 11:31 PM.

Mephster

Mephster

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Mephster
For a single player game I like it alot. The story is actually intruiging.

AddziX

AddziX

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:AddziX
I just picked this up really cheap. Can't believe I hadn't played this! Fantastic game.

It has its flaws, like the stealth system is a little broken, but I'm playing as a run and gun kind of guy so it doesn't affect me too much. Love the story and how my choices truly decide how it plays out.

I've been playing this all day and always get excited to see what choices I can make next.

If any game is worthy of a sequel, it's this.

qaz156

qaz156

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
I really can't believe how good this game is. In fact, it's the first time in a long time I'm actually excited to get home, whip up a nice cool soda and play the game. I've played them all - DA, BG, PST, KOTOR, etc... and this seriously is the most I've enjoyed gaming this year. I really am tired of the stupid negative reviews. And I love the graphics; I think they're beautiful. Just because a game doesn't have complex, buy a $300 gpu just to play it physics, doesn't mean the art design is flawed or bad.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

I just picked this up really cheap. Can't believe I hadn't played this! Fantastic game.

It has its flaws, like the stealth system is a little broken, but I'm playing as a run and gun kind of guy so it doesn't affect me too much. Love the story and how my choices truly decide how it plays out.

I've been playing this all day and always get excited to see what choices I can make next.

If any game is worthy of a sequel, it's this.

Not in the other forum, but to reply with what I want, it has spoilers, so don't read if you don't want spoilers!

Spoiler

galbyman

galbyman

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:galbyman
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I purchased this game on Day 1, but descided to wait to play it due to all the bad reviews. All I can say is that the reviews were very wrong. This is a great game.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9116 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I purchased this game on Day 1, but descided to wait to play it due to all the bad reviews. All I can say is that the reviews were very wrong. This is a great game.

If you already bought the game, why'd you wait to play it? I understand holding off on purchasing a game to wait for reviews, but if you've already shelled out the money for it anyway, what's the point in not playing it and waiting for reviews?

galbyman

galbyman

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you already bought the game, why'd you wait to play it? I understand holding off on purchasing a game to wait for reviews, but if you've already shelled out the money for it anyway, what's the point in not playing it and waiting for reviews?

Two kids, a very pregnant wife, and 178 XBOX 360 games in my collection. :)

galbyman

galbyman

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
BTW, I just beat that game and have been recommending it to everyone I know. I have a feeling that many of the reviewers went in expecting ME version of modern day spy game. But it is every different than any Bioware RPG.

Miquel93

Miquel93

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Miquel93
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I totally love this game, and I can't understand why the reviews were so bad.

I know a review it's just an opinion and all of us have a different one, but you see how Mass Effect recieved a lot of good reviews when it has a tone of problems with the gameplay, a lot more than AP (and this one also have a lot of problems) and they were forgiven, and in AP they the defects were magnified. AP has a better storytelling, better characters, better dialgos, better gameplay... and it's more RPG that most games of the genre, because youre choices really modify the story, something that Obsidian can be really proud off, they made the better RPG in history in this aspect (and FNV and MoTB are also really good in this).

meomao

meomao

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Even if very late, I just want to add myself to the party. I've bought the game for 5 on a Steam sale last Christmass. I've not played it untill the last week since I was expecting a real bad game with more bugs than Vampire Redemption (reading the reviews and such).

Honestly, I feel guilty for having payed such a low price for that gem of a game. I would have liked to support the game at realease so maybe the franchise would have seen a deserved sequel (in a word where every game has a sequel, it's criminal that there won't be an AP2). Because the concept is great and the game has an heart.

It's really one of the most brilliant and fun action RPG I've played recently: personally, I'm enjoying it way way way more than TW2 for example: both games have flawed action gameplay and TW2 may look better and have better cinematic storytelling, but AP is way better in terms of RP and branching and even if flawed, unbalanced, maybe repetitive and a little bit too abstract, I find the gameplay adequate to support the story.

Talking about overrated (TW2) and underrated (AP)... honestly I really do not get why the review were so harsh... I'm playing the game and having fun with the various scenario and the interaction with the story and the various groups and charachters... I see the flaws but they aren't a gamebreaker for an RPG player: we have seen worst hybrids with worst stories.

So I keep asking myself: dear Mr. Jim Sterling, what's wrong with AP?

I know a review it's just an opinion and all of us have a different one, but you see how Mass Effect recieved a lot of good reviews when it has a tone of problems with the gameplay, a lot more than AP (and this one also have a lot of problems) and they were forgiven, and in AP they the defects were magnified.

Well, I do not agree... but avoiding to bash Bioware in every thread must go against the rules of the forum >_< . ME2 gameplay is very good and it's a great improvement over ME1. I've not seen all those gameplay problems you are talking about: the praise for its shooter/rpg mechanic were deserved. And ME2 is a better shooter/rpg hybrid than AP on every level and it's the first RPG hybrid I've played since the original Deus Ex that can rival action games on their terms without looking clunky.

Having said that, that's not a really fair comparison since AP focus more on stealth than gunplay.

I think that reviewers looked at AP not as an action RPG but as a shooter/action cinematic game with RPG elements. So, they concentrated on the technical shortcomings of the gameplay from that angle (balance, AI, lack of fluidity, lack of variety) and the clear lack of AAA production values, forgettin' that RPG player accepts a great deal of abstraction in term of gameplay and do not care about production values if the overall experience is fun and interesting.

Edited by meomao, 10 October 2011 - 02:21 AM.

ryden

ryden

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
the only defects were:

-the graphics, animations and camera view a little jerky.

the rest was simply divine..fantastic game for me...

Trollossus

Trollossus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
<3 AP, so under appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users