Just bought the game

Let's see, Alpha Protocol... a game that you're playing by taking on the role of Agent Michael Thorton. Seems like an RPG to me. What else is there?

Adjustable difficulty? Check.

Multiple character backgrounds to chose between? Check.

Varied approach to missions? Check.

Points for improving skills earned by leveling up? Check.

Certain actions being easier depending on how high a skill is developed? Check.

Consequences on the larger world for your choices and actions? Even ones as small as your chosen replies in conversation? Check and check.

Intermittent boss fights that are noticeably more difficult than regular mooks? Oh, double-check.

Ability to chose the order in which you take on the missions? Check.

Mmhm, still seems like an RPG to me.

The simple fact is that you guys make the game sound great, when clearly its not.

The core let down of this game is the gameplay itself. If it were much better then there would be millions praising it as they do with ME.

AP has the spy story, and a pretty decent one it is to.

It also has the best conversation system featured in this style of game.....and thats it.

It's missing intense gameplay. There's not so much as a hint of chaos or intense moments even by the last level.

The gunplay is pointless unless your shooting from an undetected distance. And I blame the gunplay system partly for the above reason.

The animations look fairy dated even for a PS2 game.

The graphics whilst not an important factor for an RPG, are still pretty ****e. If Madison is good looking, then Thortan must have a beer-goggle perk.

So the main result is that the game is pretty poor. You guys think its amazing, I think its a decent game with hordes of potential that was not even touched. And then there's the rest of the gaming population who think its utter ****e, and its them who matter as the sales figures never lie when it comes to games.

It's one of my favorite games, 'cause I get used to the gameplay and it's not bothering me. I love the story, characters, dialogs, choices and consequences, which are the main features I'm looking for in a good RPG. The gameplay... yeah, it could be done better, so do graphics, but it's not completely broken and the game itself grants you a really great experience. It just depends on what you're expecting.

Subjective matter. I'm just easy pleased with a good plot even if there are technical issues or a bad gameplay (VtMB, P:T, I'm looking at you).

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.

You'll have to forgive me, whats C&C?

As for your 'B'. No the poor gameplay doesn't stop it being an RPG, but it does stop it from having great gameplay. Which as I stated are why sales are shockingly poor...but having SEGA in your corner doesn't do you any favours either.

It's one of my favorite games, 'cause I get used to the gameplay and it's not bothering me. I love the story, characters, dialogs, choices and consequences, which are the main features I'm looking for in a good RPG. The gameplay... yeah, it could be done better, so do graphics, but it's not completely broken and the game itself grants you a really great experience. It just depends on what you're expecting.

Subjective matter. I'm just easy pleased with a good plot even if there are technical issues or a bad gameplay (VtMB, P:T, I'm looking at you).

Excellent response.

But I need the full package when it comes to rating a game.

Take L.A. Noire for example. Journalists are creaming over this game because they think its new. It has gameplay features dated even by GTA on PS2, and the whole guilty face thing is a trick that could have been done on a SNES using digitised footage with a pause gap to show a guilty look. But it sold millions due to excellent marketing. Poor AP didn't even get this to give money to make a much better sequal.

Most non-game journalist people weren't all that excited about LA Noire after finishing it.

As for Alpha Protocol, my opinion is still that the good doesn't outweigh the bad, but I can mostly see where the non-rabid fans are coming from.

Yeah,

I think that's why I have pig problems with the game. It should have been so much more. Instead it turned out to be a huge let down.

But I also have to keep going back to putting a lot of blame on SEGA. Look at the Dreamcast for example. It was way ahead of Playstation and built better too.Then there were the exclusives like Shen Mue, living proof that you can't just build an amazing game and stick it on the store shelf, you have to market the **** out of it. Instead the console and games died and SEGA went broke, and even to this day they don't know how to market there game only business.

Viking : Battle for Asgard is loved by almost 90% of the people who played it, but once again SEGA put it in the shadow of a bigger released game, and Viking sold barely any for such a well made H&S title. If it wasn't for Sonic going multiplatform, I doubt SEGA would be around today.

Edited by Agent Crake

So with AP having no name or gender change, the same face and no choice to be good, bad or nuetral.

You should go on Youtube and search for 'psychopathic Thorton'. Agent Thorton can be an kidnapper, a murderer and a war-profiteer. Not to mention a complete jerkass.

Ok I have 3 trophies left to get...

Judge, jury & executioner.

Steven Hecks trophy.

Hardcore.

I started at Rome and then went to Moscow as I hear leaving steve till last helps. I killed the last boss at the mansion but usually he gives me the Surkov infor when choosing pro before then killing him. This time he never though, is this because I asked Surkov to send the info to my PDA, or can you only fight Surkov when choosing Moscow as the last city you visit?

You can fight him only when he's pissed on you, when you're not professional with him and when you have a bad reputation with Grigori. Order of missions have no influence on this.

Edited by Dabu

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.