Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chris Avellone interview?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts
Sega's demand wasn't unreasonable, Mass Effect got great reviews with similar shooting mechanics. And the delay was probably because there wasn't much interest in the game (as indicated by pre-orders for one thing), but realistically, there was never going to be. But yes, Sega isn't exactly the tightest run ship in the business, but let's face it, neither is Obsidian.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1398 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

And the delay was probably because there wasn't much interest in the game (as indicated by pre-orders for one thing), but realistically, there was never going to be.

Because there was no marketing. Not sure if the company they had hired for the marketing dropped the ball or what happened, but I remember them changing the PR company they use in US and after that we could actually see some marketing for the game.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts
Sega just can't afford a huge marketing budget. New IP's are a tough sell in any case, and RPG's are somewhat niche in addition. What's there in AP to appeal to a huge mainstream audience?

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 841 posts

In fact from the things we know now its probably the Obsidian game with the most DRAMA! involved.

Possibly but how would we know?
It's certainly the worst received obsidian game to date.
We have an chicken or egg problem here.

Better marketing initially, keep the original release date and scrap the shooting mechanics that pissed off pretty much every mainstream gamer / reviewer and your average review rating is way above the 70% it got.

Sadly I'm not so sure about that.
The psychological barrier at 70% separates the games that got major elements to an ok levels from the rest.
I'm doubtful whether the stealth system as implemented in AP would qualify.

And the delay was probably because there wasn't much interest in the game (as indicated by pre-orders for one thing), but realistically, there was never going to be.

Because there was no marketing. Not sure if the company they had hired for the marketing dropped the ball or what happened, but I remember them changing the PR company they use in US and after that we could actually see some marketing for the game.

There was never going to be a major marketing campaign for AP. It simply didn't have the graphic or cutscenes to generate serious hype.
It's promotional material was pretty standard for obsidian (i.e. pretty low budget).
They played strongly the c&c part of the game but the reality is that long term plot developments and npc interaction don't make much impression during trailers.

And AP still sold reasonably well but at the expense of obsidian reputation.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1398 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sega just can't afford a huge marketing budget. New IP's are a tough sell in any case, and RPG's are somewhat niche in addition. What's there in AP to appeal to a huge mainstream audience?

I get that, but that doesn't explain the complete lack of marketing initially. They did eventually spend some money on the marketing after the whole release date shuffle.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

In fact from the things we know now its probably the Obsidian game with the most DRAMA! involved.

Possibly but how would we know?
It's certainly the worst received obsidian game to date.
We have an chicken or egg problem here.

Hints by Patrick Mills (For example many of romes levels were mashed with old material)
Lead Designer Change
Looooong development time.
Comments by Thortons Voice Actor
Project was reconstructed near completly multiple times (This has been confirmed!)
Troubles with SEGA like this

Its .... pretty obvious.

Edited by C2B, 26 May 2011 - 07:48 AM.

Dabu

Dabu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Dabu47

Hints by Patrick Mills (For example many of romes levels were mashed with old material)
Lead Designer Change
Project was reconstructed near completly multiple times (This has been confirmed!)

Sorry for asking, but can you give some sources about those? I'm really curious.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Lead Designer Change

Sorry for asking, but can you give some sources about those? I'm really curious.

Multiple. Your best off reading this thread

http://forums.someth...er=252#lastpost

Especially Comtes (Patrick Mills) posts

http://forums.someth...mp;userid=19836

Dabu

Dabu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Dabu47
Hey, thanks for the source. So according to his messages, IP belongs to Obsidian, not Sega? I don't understand anything right now...

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hey, thanks for the source. So according to his messages, IP belongs to Obsidian, not Sega? I don't understand anything right now...

Um, there he could be just wrong informed. He's unsure himself. Wasn't in managment after all and left before it was finished.

Edited by C2B, 26 May 2011 - 02:21 PM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1530 posts
USPTO still says Sega owns the trademark, which would usually mean that they own the IP. It's not 100% indicative though and there are plenty of ways that Obsidian could either own it or get it back if not (reversion clause, buyout clause etc).

Realistically though there is probably little significance as to who owns the IP as there is little chance of someone stumping up the money for a sequel which makes the whole thing rather moot.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1803 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like the interview / article. Nice read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users