Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9821 posts

Started reading Game of Thrones.

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :sorcerer:

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2754 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :sorcerer:

I enjoyed the first book.. the second was entertaining but nothing brilliant. And then somewhere around the third or fourth book I just hit a wall and couldn't read anymore of that series.. Maybe one of these days I'll make another attempt, but eh..

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
The third book kicks all the other books' asses combined, so much awesomeness.

Edited by Purkake, 27 May 2011 - 04:21 PM.

Nightshape

Nightshape

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1851 posts

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :)

I enjoyed the first book.. the second was entertaining but nothing brilliant. And then somewhere around the third or fourth book I just hit a wall and couldn't read anymore of that series.. Maybe one of these days I'll make another attempt, but eh..

Having read the wheel of time series several times, I have no worries, I can read anything...

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 2754 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Having read the wheel of time series several times, I have no worries, I can read anything...

Ah, but I've read all the Wheel of Time so far, and actually enjoyed that with no problem.. :shifty:

Shryke

Shryke

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Ah, but I've read all the Wheel of Time so far, and actually enjoyed that with no problem.. :shifty:

really? even the tenth book?
the one that is almost entirely made up of irrelevant side character's plotlines? -_-

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Backer
I hate to say this but Sanderson taking over has been a good thing for the WoT series. Jordan should have wrapped this thing up four books ago. Books eight and ten did nothing to advance the story they should have been cut by 70-80% with the remaining stuff rolled into books 9 & 11. Books three, four and five could have been combined into two books with no loss. The whole Shiado plot should have been wrapped up after their defeat in book four but it languished on for six more books. The whole Ebou Dar thing went on far too long. I could go on.

Edited by Guard Dog, 28 May 2011 - 02:39 PM.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
Nice to see a long-running series actually getting an end.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5625 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :wacko:

Just as well, given that you were likely reading at the time when he had to stop for a bit.

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 2754 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

the one that is almost entirely made up of irrelevant side character's plotlines? :p

I have to admit, it's an odd balance. On the one hand I can see that it doesn't always heighten the story effectively and could have been lost.. but on the other, it actually makes the world as a whole more believable and adds depth to the various other characters encountered.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed reading them.. they certainly didn't have the draggy over-detailed feel that I get in LoTR :wacko:

But then I'm one of those guys that can sit down for a solid chunk of time and read a book in one go. Not get stuck puttering in and out a few chapters at a time over the course of several weeks. Which I think certainly affects my perception of what I do read.

Heh, although I do have fond memories of one half-term when I was a kid, curling up in the airing cupboard with a copy of Shogun over several days.

Nightshape

Nightshape

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1851 posts

the one that is almost entirely made up of irrelevant side character's plotlines? :p

I have to admit, it's an odd balance. On the one hand I can see that it doesn't always heighten the story effectively and could have been lost.. but on the other, it actually makes the world as a whole more believable and adds depth to the various other characters encountered.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed reading them.. they certainly didn't have the draggy over-detailed feel that I get in LoTR :)

But then I'm one of those guys that can sit down for a solid chunk of time and read a book in one go. Not get stuck puttering in and out a few chapters at a time over the course of several weeks. Which I think certainly affects my perception of what I do read.

Heh, although I do have fond memories of one half-term when I was a kid, curling up in the airing cupboard with a copy of Shogun over several days.

Well... So far my experience with GoT is that its a badly written good story *shrugs*.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Backer
Now reading The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. I was not sure what to expect but it is light and entertaining reading. After this I'll give the game another go.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5625 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Still wading through Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilisation.

Contemptible. Utterly contemptible.

Latest objection: hagiographic quality of his description of Khomeini. Still more ludicrously, he casts America's behaviour in Iraq as BOTH sides in Iran in almost adjacent paragraphs.

To have been present at so many interesting incidents, and to have produced such pointless monomaniacal drivel is almost enough to make one weep.

Squall

Squall

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
I'm reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6369 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Still wading through Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilisation.

For the love of God, why?

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5625 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, Monte. For the simple reason that I made a promise that I would and I always keep my promises. Even when I'm drunk.

Am now at p179-180. the man sounds like the nuttier characters on this board. Notably Onur. he repeatedly slanders US/UK forces without one shred of evidence offerred, while at the same time offerring evidence on other topics. Nearly a thousand pages yet to go, but I want to use it as loo roll immediately.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1948 posts
Apparently I'm the only one who reads Gene Wolfe because one of my favorite bookstores has most of his stuff on discount.

Bought "Strange Travelers", short story collection.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 6369 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, Monte. For the simple reason that I made a promise that I would and I always keep my promises. Even when I'm drunk.

Am now at p179-180. the man sounds like the nuttier characters on this board. Notably Onur. he repeatedly slanders US/UK forces without one shred of evidence offerred, while at the same time offerring evidence on other topics. Nearly a thousand pages yet to go, but I want to use it as loo roll immediately.

You've done enough, man, for God's sake. Walk away from the Fisk. Just walk away.

FFS the man has an internet trend based on de-bunking poorly-sourced arguments named after him.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Backer
Now reading Through My Eyes by NFL Quarterback and former Florida Gator Tim Tebow. It's about what you'd expect. Writing an autobiography at the age of 26 is not an act of humility. Therefore it defies reason that a man who does it should try to come off as humble in his book. But somehow he does it.

Also reading Islands in the Stream by Hemingway. He is one of my favorite writers but this is not his best stuff.

Also re-reading A Clash of Kings, by you know who. Getting refreshed for the bigh release of Dance with Dragons next month.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 6369 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Six Armies in Normandy by John Keegan.

Read it twice before, but y'know.

GD, Ernest Hemingway's adventures with Leclerc's brigade during the liberation of Paris deserves a book of it's own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users