Books

Monte Carlo

I enjoyed the first book.. the second was entertaining but nothing brilliant. And then somewhere around the third or fourth book I just hit a wall and couldn't read anymore of that series.. Maybe one of these days I'll make another attempt, but eh..

Having read the wheel of time series several times, I have no worries, I can read anything...

Ah, but I've read all the Wheel of Time so far, and actually enjoyed that with no problem.. :shifty:

really? even the tenth book?

the one that is almost entirely made up of irrelevant side character's plotlines? -_-

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I hate to say this but Sanderson taking over has been a good thing for the WoT series. Jordan should have wrapped this thing up four books ago. Books eight and ten did nothing to advance the story they should have been cut by 70-80% with the remaining stuff rolled into books 9 & 11. Books three, four and five could have been combined into two books with no loss. The whole Shiado plot should have been wrapped up after their defeat in book four but it languished on for six more books. The whole Ebou Dar thing went on far too long. I could go on.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Started reading Game of Thrones.

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :wacko:

I enjoyed the first book.. the second was entertaining but nothing brilliant. And then somewhere around the third or fourth book I just hit a wall and couldn't read anymore of that series.. Maybe one of these days I'll make another attempt, but eh..

Just as well, given that you were likely reading at the time when he had to stop for a bit.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

the one that is almost entirely made up of irrelevant side character's plotlines? :p

I have to admit, it's an odd balance. On the one hand I can see that it doesn't always heighten the story effectively and could have been lost.. but on the other, it actually makes the world as a whole more believable and adds depth to the various other characters encountered.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed reading them.. they certainly didn't have the draggy over-detailed feel that I get in LoTR :wacko:

But then I'm one of those guys that can sit down for a solid chunk of time and read a book in one go. Not get stuck puttering in and out a few chapters at a time over the course of several weeks. Which I think certainly affects my perception of what I do read.

Heh, although I do have fond memories of one half-term when I was a kid, curling up in the airing cupboard with a copy of Shogun over several days.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

the one that is almost entirely made up of irrelevant side character's plotlines? :p

I have to admit, it's an odd balance. On the one hand I can see that it doesn't always heighten the story effectively and could have been lost.. but on the other, it actually makes the world as a whole more believable and adds depth to the various other characters encountered.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed reading them.. they certainly didn't have the draggy over-detailed feel that I get in LoTR :)

But then I'm one of those guys that can sit down for a solid chunk of time and read a book in one go. Not get stuck puttering in and out a few chapters at a time over the course of several weeks. Which I think certainly affects my perception of what I do read.

Heh, although I do have fond memories of one half-term when I was a kid, curling up in the airing cupboard with a copy of Shogun over several days.

Well... So far my experience with GoT is that its a badly written good story *shrugs*.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Now reading The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. I was not sure what to expect but it is light and entertaining reading. After this I'll give the game another go.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Still wading through Robert Fisk's Great War for Civilisation.

Contemptible. Utterly contemptible.

Latest objection: hagiographic quality of his description of Khomeini. Still more ludicrously, he casts America's behaviour in Iraq as BOTH sides in Iran in almost adjacent paragraphs.

To have been present at so many interesting incidents, and to have produced such pointless monomaniacal drivel is almost enough to make one weep.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, Monte. For the simple reason that I made a promise that I would and I always keep my promises. Even when I'm drunk.

Am now at p179-180. the man sounds like the nuttier characters on this board. Notably Onur. he repeatedly slanders US/UK forces without one shred of evidence offerred, while at the same time offerring evidence on other topics. Nearly a thousand pages yet to go, but I want to use it as loo roll immediately.

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I'm the only one who reads Gene Wolfe because one of my favorite bookstores has most of his stuff on discount.

Bought "Strange Travelers", short story collection.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well, Monte. For the simple reason that I made a promise that I would and I always keep my promises. Even when I'm drunk.

Am now at p179-180. the man sounds like the nuttier characters on this board. Notably Onur. he repeatedly slanders US/UK forces without one shred of evidence offerred, while at the same time offerring evidence on other topics. Nearly a thousand pages yet to go, but I want to use it as loo roll immediately.

You've done enough, man, for God's sake. Walk away from the Fisk. Just walk away.

FFS the man has an internet trend based on de-bunking poorly-sourced arguments named after him.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Now reading Through My Eyes by NFL Quarterback and former Florida Gator Tim Tebow. It's about what you'd expect. Writing an autobiography at the age of 26 is not an act of humility. Therefore it defies reason that a man who does it should try to come off as humble in his book. But somehow he does it.

Also reading Islands in the Stream by Hemingway. He is one of my favorite writers but this is not his best stuff.

Also re-reading A Clash of Kings, by you know who. Getting refreshed for the bigh release of Dance with Dragons next month.

Thomas Sowell

Six Armies in Normandy by John Keegan.

Read it twice before, but y'know.

GD, Ernest Hemingway's adventures with Leclerc's brigade during the liberation of Paris deserves a book of it's own.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not quite the heavy reading material.. but I saw a copy of "Icons: The DC Comics and Wildstorm Art of Jim Lee" going for a reduced price. I'm finding myself strangely tempted.

There can be something compelling about art books that can firmly stir the imagination. Also when included are design sketches and comments on how things developed.

Although balanced against the possibility of Syd Mead's "Sentury II" designs and sketches..

GD, Ernest Hemingway's adventures with Leclerc's brigade during the liberation of Paris deserves a book of it's own.

That he was the first American to enter Paris during the liberation is just part of his legend.

Thomas Sowell

Idoru, not a bad read. Seems like not much happens with the plot though. Starting on the sequel.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just finished A Feast For Crows last night. Now I need to re read it, because I am mighty confused.

what's confusing about it?

i haven't read it for a while, but i don't recall being puzzled over anything

With the new book coming out, a few people on another forum have been talking about which characters get POV chapters this time around. They all seem to be hoping for some dude named Quentin. I honestly have no clue who that is.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

With the new book coming out, a few people on another forum have been talking about which characters get POV chapters this time around. They all seem to be hoping for some dude named Quentin. I honestly have no clue who that is.

ah he's one of the Martells. he's mentioned in some of the chapters set in Dorne

I stumbled upon this and read it.. which gave a wth moment..

Since it's related to books and authors I thought I'd share it here..

(and yes, it relates to the SW Expanded Universe)

The Mandalorian Mistake

What strikes me most about it is that an author would take part in writing books for a known universe, and that they had never read any of the other books written and disaproved strongly of the principle character groups.

The other, is that Lucasarts, known for their strict control over the Star Wars EU.. actually let it get written where the story trashed around so much canon and let the author put in so much personal bias...