Books

Monte Carlo

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Currently reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. What can I say? I'm a shallow person, I enjoy it >_

(it was either that or yet another David Gemmell book in the airport store).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Can we call the next one "the remake"?

I'm reading Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, we can wallow in our shallowness together.

Hm, and for some reason that brought to mind "Armageddon: The Musical" and "Armageddon 2: The B-Movie."

Although in my moments of peace I've been working through the eARC of Ghost Ship, the upcoming latest in the Liaden Universe books.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Has anyone read Margaret Atwood's The Year Of The Flood?

I've only read The Handmaid's Tale, and that was awesome. I'm assuming you've read other books of hers though.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've only read The Handmaid's Tale, and that was awesome. I'm assuming you've read other books of hers though.

No, I've actually only just heard of her, although I did hear that The Year Of The Flood was a sort of 'unofficial' sequel to The Handmaid's Tale. No one I know have read any of her books, so I thought I would get the low-down here before spending my mulahs.

Fortune favors the bald.

No, I've actually only just heard of her, although I did hear that The Year Of The Flood was a sort of 'unofficial' sequel to The Handmaid's Tale. No one I know have read any of her books, so I thought I would get the low-down here before spending my mulahs.

Then wouldn't it make sense to read the first one, which I can attest to being great? Handmaid's Tale. Although I don't recommend it for a laugh. It's a pretty depressing book, with some neat sci-fi thrown in.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Then wouldn't it make sense to read the first one, which I can attest to being great? Handmaid's Tale.

:thumbsup: I don't know why, but I read this with a slightly threatening tone. But yes, it would make sense.

Fortune favors the bald.

Then wouldn't it make sense to read the first one, which I can attest to being great? Handmaid's Tale.

:lol: I don't know why, but I read this with a slightly threatening tone. But yes, it would make sense.

It's just because I'm built like an attack hamster.

-Elwood Blues

It's just because I'm built like an attack hamster.

A Giant Space Hamster? o O ( Okay, my spelljammer days are showing through there..)

Finished off the eArc to Ghost Ship. A nice run of space opera follow-on to other Liaden books. Although they had to jump around various characters in different locations, it nicely fleshed out some of the "epilogue" moments in the earlier books. But it does have a rather cliff-hanger style ending...

I don't remember where I read it, but the Liaden Universe was once described as "Star Wars meets Pride & Prejudice" and I do have to agree that that description works on a lot of levels. Not many authors can write that sort of snappy dialogue based around a (not-stictly human) culture's modes of courtesy.

It's kind of interesting that the authors (a husband and wife team) used to be death on electronic copies of their books and very anti-book-piracy and suchlike.. but now that they're getting published by Baen they seem to have jumped on the Baen Bandwagon in respect to how electronic books and getting out sample chapters and free books can attract readers that otherwise would never have looked at them.

Currently reading Newtons Sleep by Daniel O'Mahoney. Stretches the period from the execution of Charles I up until after the "Popish Plot", following around three sets of characters, one of which consists entirely of Aphra Behn. Basic premise is that war on earth is a symptom of war in heaven; heaven to those living in Early Modern England, time, space and meaning to its participants. Closing on halfway through, now; it's p. cool so far, just fairly mammoth, and not helped by being ritten in smaller type rather than having more pages.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

• 3 weeks later...

I was randomly pondering on the fact that it's about time to add a complete Arabian Nights to my library .. but there seem to be an awful lot of cut down versions out there.

Anyone know of any particular good current translations?

Now reading Dogtown about the founding of tge Best Friends pet rescue & sanctuary. Also reading The Sun Also Rises. You gotta love Hemingway

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was randomly pondering on the fact that it's about time to add a complete Arabian Nights to my library .. but there seem to be an awful lot of cut down versions out there.

I know a good one, but I'll have to look it up.

My father read the original version - fart jokes and adultery and all - when I was a kid. It's great stuff.

-Elwood Blues

I know a good one, but I'll have to look it up.

My father read the original version - fart jokes and adultery and all - when I was a kid. It's great stuff.

I've read several versions, but they're usually turn out to be abridged or have several stories removed totally. Or the only ones you can find are the child-friendly versions.

Heh, I was tidying some things away and found all my old Al-Quadim books and boxed sets.. which has me kind of nostalgic.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got round to reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

curious to see the movie now as there's some messed up stuff in the books

overall pretty good though

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Not technically a book... but the collected manga of Ubel Blatt.

And the really annoying thing is..that after 11 volumes and a nicely compelling storyline.. it suddenly stops. Apparently it's on "hiatus" :lol:

Started reading Game of Thrones, because I hadn't and I was enjoying the TV show.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Started reading Game of Thrones.

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :sorcerer:

I enjoyed the first book.. the second was entertaining but nothing brilliant. And then somewhere around the third or fourth book I just hit a wall and couldn't read anymore of that series.. Maybe one of these days I'll make another attempt, but eh..

Same here. Haven't seen the TV show yet, but it was the only title I recognised in the airport book store :)

I enjoyed the first book.. the second was entertaining but nothing brilliant. And then somewhere around the third or fourth book I just hit a wall and couldn't read anymore of that series.. Maybe one of these days I'll make another attempt, but eh..

Having read the wheel of time series several times, I have no worries, I can read anything...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Having read the wheel of time series several times, I have no worries, I can read anything...

Ah, but I've read all the Wheel of Time so far, and actually enjoyed that with no problem.. :shifty: