HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

I just finished the first book (truly amazing, best fantasy I've read) so it looks like I'm just in time to watch the series when it comes out. I guess small changes will always rub one the wrong way a bit after reading the book but the preview is extremely impressive and I really look forward to following the series.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's always cool to see a first reader's take on the series. Trust me, the next two books are even better. This is actually a good time to pick up the series as the long-awaited A Dance With Dragons is coming out in July. Of course, we still have two more books after that...

For your viewing pleasure, here's the preview on Youtube. Link

Nice, it's looking good. Soon the reason I re-subscribed to HBO will be justified. :)

I read the first book years and years ago, before its fame exploded. Bought the 2nd, but still haven't read it because so much time had passed inbetween I felt like I had to read the 1st book again, and couldn't bring up the motivation to do so. So...yeah...the series is awesome for people like me. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's always cool to see a first reader's take on the series. Trust me, the next two books are even better. This is actually a good time to pick up the series as the long-awaited A Dance With Dragons is coming out in July. Of course, we still have two more books after that...

For your viewing pleasure, here's the preview on Youtube. Link

Thanks for that, the flash player wasn't working.

As for the books, based on how long it took him to write the last two, we should see the next book in another 6 years.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I thought the poor old bugger was ill?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

martin is fat and old... which is pretty much the same as being ill 24/7. also, the geek grapevine has suggested that martin's efforts these last couple years has been focused on the tv series. am not certain if such rumors is based on anything other than wild speculation and dubious hearsay.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

martin is fat and old... which is pretty much the same as being ill 24/7. also, the geek grapevine has suggested that martin's efforts these last couple years has been focused on the tv series. am not certain if such rumors is based on anything other than wild speculation and dubious hearsay.

HA! Good Fun!

I visit his website 3-4 times a month and I can confirm he has a lot of irons in the fire. The selfish side of me wished he would focus on his novels but they are just one of many projects he writes, edits, produces for.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Never ever heard of this but apparently it's the hot stuff and I should not miss it?

It's part of the "new wave" fantasy that deconstructs old fantasy tropes and is generally dark and gritty. It's good, but certainly not for everyone's tastes.

Read Steven Erikson instead. He actually finishes his stuff (Malazan).

This is about the TV series, no?

Thought this was funny.

Rainn.jpg

Rainn Wilson is made for this throne.

And from his Twitter

If you haven't read 'A Game of Thrones' you r an idiot of the highest order. Amazing series. All-consuming. #Winterfell

@virumor: Malazan's pretty great. I'm currently reading Deadhouse Gates and apart from some minor confusions, it's a good read. I just wish Tor would finish reprinting the entire series with the new cover art.

I still can't believe they haven't used Andy Hamilton as the dwarf (Tyrion?)

revoltingpeople1_396x222.jpg

Andy is the actual dwarf on the left. he's a very very smart man, with 30 years of comedy writing and performing behind him.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What do those pound symbols mean in Twitter? What does #Winterfell mean?

It's basically a topic designator, makes it easier to find tweets by topic in the search.

It's called hashtag AFAIK.

Edited by Purkake

I still can't believe they haven't used Andy Hamilton as the dwarf (Tyrion?)

revoltingpeople1_396x222.jpg

Andy is the actual dwarf on the left. he's a very very smart man, with 30 years of comedy writing and performing behind him.

am suspecting you answered your question without realizing.

"30 years of comedy writing and performing behind him."

duh.

the guy is probable in his mid-50's?

HA! Good Fun!

ps we checked the bio for hamilton. he IS old and surprisingly tall at 5'3"... which makes him not a dwarf and taller than some o' the other non-dwarf members o' the cast.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Surely Tyrion is no spring chicken, tho. And I'll grant you maybe he is taller than I thought, but he certainly moves like a dwarf, and has a strange nasal voice. Look him up on Youtube or something.

-Elwood Blues

Surely Tyrion is no spring chicken, tho. And I'll grant you maybe he is taller than I thought, but he certainly moves like a dwarf, and has a strange nasal voice. Look him up on Youtube or something.

your original observation were as follows:

"I still can't believe they haven't used Andy Hamilton as the dwarf (Tyrion?)"

really? sometimes you argue just to argue. tyrion is the youngest lannister sibling... so maybe get judy dench to play cersei? and it would look damn silly for hamilton/tyrion to bemoan his dwarfism as he stared down at some o' the stark children.

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

your original observation were as follows:

"I still can't believe they haven't used Andy Hamilton as the dwarf (Tyrion?)"

really? sometimes you argue just to argue. tyrion is the youngest lannister sibling... so maybe get judy dench to play cersei? and it would look damn silly for hamilton/tyrion to bemoan his dwarfism as he stared down at some o' the stark children.

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

I merely made an observation that I saw a very wry, devious, short man as Tyrion. Having him older wouldn't pose the least obstacle to a film adaptation.

On the other hand YOU immediately launched into yet another of your poorly punctuated and bafflingly aggrandised half-orc broadsides.

You can't be arsed to type capital letters, but you can be arsed to repeat your tired catchphrase repeatedly? Get off your damn high horse.

-Elwood Blues