Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Age 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
512 replies to this topic

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9579 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

True, but I stopped having any respect for Angry Joe when I watched his interview at the VGAs and gained a lot more for Geoff in the process. Watching an "internet star" get his massive ego taken down a notch certainly was entertaining though.

Interviewing 101: you can't go up against a bow tie.

Unless you're John Stewart?

RPGmasterBoo

RPGmasterBoo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2106 posts
Read for lols:

http://www.nowgamer....-dutys-audience

John Lemon

John Lemon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Backer

Read for lols:

I... But... It... Just...

:lol:

Oh, wait, it's a February 8th article.

In other news: VGChartz sales figures for DA2 shows a rather large decline in sales. It looks like a radiation decay graph right now.

Edited by John Lemon, 09 April 2011 - 07:22 AM.

RPGmasterBoo

RPGmasterBoo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2106 posts

Read for lols:

:lol:

In other news: VGChartz sales figures for DA2 shows a rather large decline in sales. It looks like a radiation decay graph right now.

Guess they didn't get the CoD fans on board.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6369 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Can you have sex in CoD2?

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2960 posts

Can you have sex in CoD2?

Yes but the have a don't show don't tell policy at Infinity Ward.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

Read for lols:

:ermm:

Guess they didn't get the CoD fans on board.

Well, I got it the day it was released...but I was SORELY disappointed.

ME1 and 2 got me, was excited by changes that sounded a lot like what they did with Me1 to ME2, making it more appealing to the CoD gamers as you may call it.

For me, if I had known now what I found out when playing DA2...it definately would NOT have gotten me. May have even skipped DA2, or at least waited till it hit the bargain bin (it's worth a bargain bin price).

Hopefully ME3 continues to appeal to me. That's still a must buy day of release sale for me...we'll see after that.

I did play DAO and DAA, I actually thought they were better games than DA2...personally speaking...even if they are more RPG centric than DA2. Something about the older ones simply appealed to me more...

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16288 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"In other news: VGChartz sales figures for DA2 shows a rather large decline in sales. It looks like a radiation decay graph right now."

DA2 has sold 15mil copies. See, I can make up fantasy numbers too. o:)

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2960 posts

"In other news: VGChartz sales figures for DA2 shows a rather large decline in sales. It looks like a radiation decay graph right now."

Can your fantasy make DA2 better and if so could I borrow it?

John Lemon

John Lemon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Backer

Are you making an effort, or are you really that retarded? I've quoted a source to go along with the figures. Not that many people take VGChartz seriously, but it's a decent enough general indicator in lieu of NPD figures.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16288 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No, no it's not. It's pure fantasy made up numbers. NPD itself isn't 100% accurate but at least it's logical nad they put some effort into it. But vgchartyz is a joke.

The only retarted person here is the one who takes vgchartz as 'gospel'.

~Di

~Di

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 992 posts

I'm not married, been living with my girlfriend for 6 years mind.

You're still together? That's great! But if you two do decide to get married, we'd all better get a formal announcement! o:)

We're on about he Estonian lady right?

I think so, yes. The only other one I knew about was old news many years back, right? Maybe I'm just confused and they're one and the same, lol!

I asked her BTW, she said no.

When she's ready, she'll probably ask you!

I believe she's on play through 3 of DA.

Woman after my own heart, but I'm only on my second play through. I LOVE this game, am spending hours and hours investigating every nook and cranny, doing every possible quest, walking from map to map just to hear party banter. I will be so glad when they get the patch out, because the bugs are, well, bugging me. :) I could nitpick here and there, story-wise, but overall I think it's an awesome effort which will be more awesome after the patch, lol!

John Lemon

John Lemon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Backer

No, no it's not. It's pure fantasy made up numbers. NPD itself isn't 100% accurate but at least it's logical nad they put some effort into it. But vgchartyz is a joke.

Really? AFAIK Bioware said DA2 sold 1 million copies in two weeks. VGChartz pegs it at 927,857 in two weeks discounting digital distribution (Doubling PC sales figures to account for such would yield 1,109,689). Unless you live in the land of unattainable standards and eternal failure, I'd say that's a pretty decent estimate.

The only retarted person here is the one who takes vgchartz as 'gospel'.

it's a decent enough general indicator in lieu of NPD figures.

Your troll-fu needs work.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1910 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Really? AFAIK Bioware said DA2 sold 1 million copies in two weeks. VGChartz pegs it at 927,857 in two weeks discounting digital distribution (Doubling PC sales figures to account for such would yield 1,109,689). Unless you live in the land of unattainable standards and eternal failure, I'd say that's a pretty decent estimate.

You do understand when there are public announcement about sales figures from a company, they do NOT state exact sales numbers right? You do understand all of the factors that surround such an announcement as well as why they do not ever release actual sales numbers right?

VGChartz are fake magical fantasy numbers. He is 100% correct in that assessment.

John Lemon

John Lemon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Backer

You do understand when there are public announcement about sales figures from a company, they do NOT state exact sales numbers right?

I'm completely aware of Bioware saying "Broke the one million mark" instead of "Sold ____ copies" in two weeks. If Bioware is at all honest, that would mean they've sold at least a million copies of DA2 in two weeks. VGChartz gives a comparable sales figure, and as such I see no point in dismissing their estimates out of hand because they're not NPD figures.

You do understand all of the factors that surround such an announcement as well as why they do not ever release actual sales numbers right?

Nope, I don't pretend to understand commerce, I'm not a businessman.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nope, I don't pretend to understand commerce, I'm not a businessman.

ahhh your first mistake. we are all businessmen here.

second mistake was trying to converse with volourn.

zing. zing.

you're welcome :thumbsup:

Edited by entrerix, 09 April 2011 - 10:18 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8772 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Generally,

(1) Often reports of "x sold" actually means "x shipped", i.e. how many copies they shipped off to distributors. You could have 1 mjillion shipped and only half that sold - it happens a fair amount of times.
(2) VGChartz, well, Volo is actually right here, it's fantasy. They really have no 'inside information' per se and don't know a lot more than we do, and in addition they have some big problems such as failing to count any digital sales of PC games, or often confusing (1) themselves.

At this point I really don't care much about DA franchise at all, but it'd be interesting to get some good info on sales figures if we ever get them.

John Lemon

John Lemon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Backer

(1) Often reports of "x sold" actually means "x shipped", i.e. how many copies they shipped off to distributors. You could have 1 miillion shipped and only half that sold - it happens a fair amount of times.

Ah, fair enough, although given the way economics is supposed to work, shouldn't the difference between the two be negligible?

(2) VGChartz, well, Volo is actually right here, it's fantasy. They really have no 'inside information' per se and don't know a lot more than we do, and in addition they have some big problems such as failing to count any digital sales of PC games, or often confusing (1) themselves.

At this point I really don't care much about DA franchise at all, but it'd be interesting to get some good info on sales figures if we ever get them.

Given their stated methodology, I don't think the accuracy of their figures is all that bad, particularly since they call retailers in each region to see how many they've sold and use online video game ownership trackers. I've got greater doubts about their estimations for pre-orders and retail panel scaling.

As for digital distribution, why do you think I doubled the sales figures for the PC version?

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

You do understand when there are public announcement about sales figures from a company, they do NOT state exact sales numbers right? You do understand all of the factors that surround such an announcement as well as why they do not ever release actual sales numbers right?

VGChartz are fake magical fantasy numbers. He is 100% correct in that assessment.

Also realize that most times BW release shipped to sale numbers instead of actual numbers sold. VG chartz seems to be the best indicator of sales besides NPD that is around in regards to actual store sales.

Or you could believe that Dianetics has been the number 1 bestseller for the past several decades, every year, due to how many they have in their shipped to sales numbers (they don't count the shipped back numbers)...

VG is like the NYT bestseller list...both get information which is more a sampling of what is selling out there and extrapolate, then the real hard numbers, especially in these days and times (actual hard numbers for book best sellers from retail and electronic is wild crazy in how far the numbers differ)...but probably reliable enough to figure out how well something is doing in comparison to something else.

I have to admit I haven't really bothered to pay attention to the numbers for DA2, or look them up. Still to early in the ballgame to really determine how it's going to do. Give it a year, see what the sale price of it is and then look at the resultant numbers and one probably could get a better picture. I have a feeling it won't do as well as DAO did, or that ME2 did...probably not even as good as ME3 will, even as a last month release (though that is VERY hopeful thinking on my part, ME3 would literally have to sell better then any BW game ever has before...which I'm thinking it might, depending on DRM and how annoying it is...as well as if they screw up or not with ME3 and it gets out during the first week sales or not). Christmas can be a good time for sales.

I'm certain DA2 made money for BW however. I'd be greatly surprised if it didn't. I think the compressed timeline for making it, with the shortcuts they took (reused areas, reused romances, reused major areas for acts...etc.) means they spent less on it then DAO or either of the ME games...meaning that percentage wise they may even have made a higher percentage money off of DA2 than any of their previous games!

As I said however, hard to tell this early on. Anyone up for the quarterly?

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8772 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ah, fair enough, although given the way economics is supposed to work, shouldn't the difference between the two be negligible?

You'd think that they would be as closely aligned as possible to ensure efficiency, but in reality it just is not the case - it ties into things like how shelfspace in physical stores are 'bought' and allocated, how distributors and the publishers estimate demand (based on preorders, etc), etc. It's really hard to get enough 100% numbers to verify suspicions outside the industry but theres enough to suggest that we can't assume 1:1 shipped-sold.

I don't want to go on and on about VGChartz since it's one of those eternal internet debates, but if we just ask the question, can we use its current estimates as a ballpark figure for DA2's sales, I'm skeptical. They currently have roughtly 600k (360) + 300k (PS3) + 200k (PC), but those are pretty low figures and the margin of error will impact the data more. We know that they often use a limited sample (e.g. calling 5% of US stores) and extrapolate from there, so a general margin of error of 15-20% is to not unreasonable; but in this case that would be the difference between, say, under a million total (which would be seen by Bio/EA as Very Bad) or approaching 1.5mil with digital PC sales (which would be seen by Bio/EA as pretty good...I think?). There's also no basis to double PC figures toa ccount for digital sales, since nobody really knows - digital sales could be way more than physical, or less, or whatever. Factoring everything in, what we could say is that based on VGChartz' data, we can argue DA2 most likely sold between, say, 0.75-1.5 million. Which really just tells us, "it sold more than Planescape: Torment but less than Call of Duty".

For reference, a fairly decent review of VGChartz' advantages and flaws. Without judging its merits as a whole, for the question of whether we can take its estimates on a game released under a month ago, I feel that the influence of extrapolation and educated guessing is too high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users