Risen 2: Dark Waters

The good part is there are only 3 bosses in the game, and the last one is a bit more 'normal'. The bad part is that yeah, those two are really, really, really stupid. To think if they just beefed up Crow's stats, then put in random pirates that board the ship for the kraken, 100x entertainment for 15 seconds of coding!

I started playing now too. So far the beginning felt quite clunky, but it starts to get better now. I am around 3 hours in and on the island where I am apparently hunting Captain Crow. Technically, this game feels a lot inferior to the first Risen so far.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

No more Risen 2 for me as I left my desktop for the summer travels. Had played halfway through the second time to get Voodoo. Will be nice to get back and finish that run with the patch. I think all PB games are worth 2 or 3 playthroughs, no more, even though I really like them - maybe because of the exploration part.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the game today. Have to say the ending was pretty lame. The water boss battle was so damn boring. No music, just the water noise and the monster rooarr while I am walking left and right, waiting for my attacks to recharge. I thought I'd fell asleep. Ending could have been better too. Even stuff like post-end gameplay would have been possible without much costs.

Also the game is quite short. Steam says I played 24 hours (incuding loading times and stuff, that's not a lot)... And I did every quest and treasure stuff I could find. Makes me wonder what people who needed 40 hours for a first playthrough did different.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished the game today. Have to say the ending was pretty lame. The water boss battle was so damn boring. No music, just the water noise and the monster rooarr while I am walking left and right, waiting for my attacks to recharge. I thought I'd fell asleep.

Wait, are you talking about the Kraken? There definitely is music, so I have to think your game is bugged. I don't know about length, I was satisfied with it, but I did pretty much every quest and some, found the legendary items, and I also did Treasure Isle.

Did Treasure Isle too- was quite short. Found some of the legendary items too... which broke the weapon balance, imo. Got a sword with 100hp damage, which made any other sword totally useless.

I wonder if this air temple dlc is worth it? Will probably check it out. Hope it won't be as short as the Treasure Isle is.

/Edit: That air temple thingy can't be bought yet? That's lame.

Edited by Lexx

I wonder if this air temple dlc is worth it? Will probably check it out. Hope it won't be as short as the Treasure Isle is.

I read on RPGWatch it's already been released in Germany, but I dunno. I also read that it's about as short, or shorter than Treasure Isle.

On that matter (shameless plug, but bear with me): I reviewed it

• 2 months later...

One minor irritant that I've come across -- not sure whether to call it a "bug" -- is sometimes my companion won't follow me, or will just stand in one spot. This becomes an issue for two reasons.

1- It's a minor issue in combat when I'm then forced to take on multiple enemies by myself, with my companion standing literally 20 feet away but not moving an inch to engage in combat.

2- This one is a major issue. A certain quest early on needs one of my companions (Steelbeard) to make his way to the top of the hill by a guard tower in order for a cut scene to play and move the quest along. But instead, after we'd finished fighting with a group of enemies he just stood in one spot and wouldn't move. So I ended up running around the Island trying to figure out what to do next, only to then, after probably an hour or so running around, come back to see him FINALLY make his way up the hill and trigger the next phase of the quest.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 1 month later...

Not sure who thought it was a good idea to name a major NPC Chani. Is she romancable?

There are small hints/teasers of romance with both Chani and Patty, but no full-blown romance luckily.

Also, I recommend going voodoo only for an eventual second playthrough.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

- Players can now block most attacks by monsters

So before the patch it was impossible to block the termite warrior, ghoul, giant crab and alligator? Must've been real fun to play.

It still sucks (trololol jaguars), but with a companion it's not that bad.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You pretty much had to kick and spam attack because there wasn't any roll or dodge either. Yeah, it sucked. Right now combat is... ehr, barely competent I guess? It never gets fun, though later in the game with a few more abilities you occasionally enjoy yourself.

Pity Piranha Bytes seems to have degraded design-wise, Risen 2 has a very fun setting and a lot of potentially interesting ideas. Still kind of fun, though.

Yeah. But for me not fun enough to do a second playthrough. I mean, in Risen you at least had two factions to chose between and the quest lines would change a bit. But in Risen 2 there is only guns or voodoo as skill sets to chose from and here I don't feel like replaying the game just to change my skills is worth it.

I took voodoo, by the way. Found it more fun looking than guns. Though, I hardly ever used it. Most of the time I was pretty fine with normal sword fights.

But anyway... The little monkey was great. I just wish there would have been more situations to use it. Really liked it to roll around, jump through windows, stealing stuff.

Edited by Lexx

If you like the other PB games (Gothic / Risen 1), then you probably will like Risen 2 too. In this case, it would be worth the price.

Edited by Lexx

If you like the other PB games (Gothic / Risen 1), then you probably will like Risen 2 too. In this case, it would be worth the price.

Mmmmhhh... if he liked some specific parts of Gothic 2/Risen 1 he might be disappointed by the changes, I think. Risen 2 is by far Piranha Bytes' most confused title in terms of design imo, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold less than the original (but with a bigger budget).

I'll be buying this game this weekend. I have been waiting for the first few mandatory patches that get released for every PB game

I enjoyed Gothic1-3 (Arcania doesn't count ) and Risen 1 so this should be entertaining.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's the only Piranha Bytes game that I barely got through from beginning to end and have no intention of ever replaying, if that tells you anything.

Absolutely loved Gothic 1-3 though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...