Dragon Age 2

Gorth

According to Fernando Melo, they weren't finished with the high rez textures when the game went gold.

What a joke. I'm half surprised it's not DLC.

Once upon a time that would have been satire, now... I'm not so sure.

sonsofgygax.JPG

According to Fernando Melo, they weren't finished with the high rez textures when the game went gold.

They are probably withholding them to force people to register on social site, same thing they did with DA:O toolset.

Edited by Mera

Actually Origin was first and suffered the most. :(

Origin was bought first but Bullfrog was probably killed first - in the early years Origin retained quite a lot of independence (and their somewhat haphazard development cycle). Both were walking dead before Westwood were even acquired though, with Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux having both left by the time of the Westwood purchase.

The initial acquisition had been on the cards for a while and for a time, Origin resisted. The cube, sphere and tetrahedron evil generators were not in Ultima 7 by coincidence. By the time of Ultima 8 the inevitable had happened and the EA shapes reappeared as a magic artifact in Mythran's house. All it did was that the Avatar kneeled before it when it was interacted with - heavy symbolism there.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What, Bio had to rush a product?

Considering how long DAO was in development, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time around (as in, needing to rush out a sequel to recoup what must have been an insane production cost for DAO). If it becomes a trend... not good.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Considering how long DAO was in development, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time around (as in, needing to rush out a sequel to recoup what must have been an insane production cost for DAO). If it becomes a trend... not good.

DA:O was mostly self-funded as EA only stepped in pretty late in the development cycle.

Interestingly, the game's out for PC...but with no crack. Hm, so I guess this is like pre-loading for pirates :(

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DA:O was mostly self-funded as EA only stepped in pretty late in the development cycle.

... Do I actually have to explain this to you? >_<

1) Bioware self-funds development of extensive project (DAO)

2) EA buys Bioware

3) The funds spent on the (too long) development of DAO are now, in fact, out of EA's pocket

4) Need to recoup the money spent on the development of DAO

:(

Has anybody finished it yet?

"Are we there yet???"

..and now I'm getting flashbacks to Cthulhu Road Trip...

"Moommm! He's got his tentacles on my side of the seat!!"

"Just another 100,000 years to go till we get to the alignment kids..."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

it would've made a lot more if it had been in development for 1.5 years instead of 6

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Volourn is right there. DA sold more than any Bioware game before, so if it was not profitable, then they are in serious trouble in terms of developing games independently in the future.

However, i do suspect that EA didn't like their profit ratio compared to expenses in development and introduced a more "cost-effective" process for DA2.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The important question isn't whether it's aggreably profitable or not.... but how much more profit they can squeeze out of it...

It's a capitalist business.

The key concept is "how do we make more money" not "hey, we made profit, that's good enough." :(

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Volourn is right there. DA sold more than any Bioware game before, so if it was not profitable, then they are in serious trouble in terms of developing games independently in the future.

However, i do suspect that EA didn't like their profit ratio compared to expenses in development and introduced a more "cost-effective" process for DA2.

Radical Entertainment and Valve have managed to push games that are not necessarily the most commercial ideas into AAA status. I see no reason why BW wouldn't be able to do the same, unless they didn't want to. Catering to market forces is different than appealing to the masses, BW was obviously doing well enough before EA that they were bought off. DA2 could be the result of an expedited process to release the game in 1 year with all the modifications that would appeal to their fans.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I can't wait until they announce DA3, I want to see how emo and cheesy they can get before they cause a schism in the cheese - emo continuum and herald the ascension of the ultimate emo-cheese akshun game daemon. Or something.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Recoup 'losses'? DA was a success and made money. It recouped its own 'losses'.

Maybe you should learn to use the quote function, so you wouldn't put words in people's mouths. Nobody was talking anything about losses. Costs and losses are too different things. :p

And the beancounters like to get the best possible return for their money, no matter what the price of acquisition was.