Dragon Age 2

Gorth

Grom, patronizing claptrap might satisfy your (increasingly dormant) inner-troll id... but the fact remains that designing a game via data-mining isn't likely to come up with something original or fun or absorbing.

Lots of extremely complex things are satisfying, be it Mahler, a tricky piece of cooking, a glass of decent chateau-neuf de pape or a freaking Picasso. Yes, I'm turning into Niles from Frasier here but I want tactical, complicated, WTF gameplay not PRESS 'A' TO WIN.

Thank you, a Moderately Educated Gamer.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Grom, patronizing claptrap might satisfy your (increasingly dormant) inner-troll id... but the fact remains that designing a game via data-mining isn't likely to come up with something original or fun or absorbing.

am not certain if we agree or disagree. is nothing wrong with understanding and accommodating player trends. what is wrong with attempting to makes a game that people will actually play and enjoy? the problem we see is the manner in which bio interprets their data.

1) data mine reveals that many players quit after 1 hour .

2) the biowarians sees data and comes to conclusion that players is daunted by the crpg learning curve.

3) biowarians solve perceived problem by making a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a a successful combat tactic.

is nothing wrong in 1... is 2 and 3 that is wacky. getting accurate feedback is useful and legit, but the feedback bio gets is mindless data that they has chosen to interpret a certain way... and the manner in which they choose to fix perceived problems is direct, but crude.

is not the data mine. is the biowarians.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am gonna once again note that bio is partial correct in their guess that peoples is daunted by the crpg learning curve, but the a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a fix is not direct linked to data mine. data mine does not prevent original and absorbing, but Bioware interpretation of data mine may kill hope o' original.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I just tried DA2 demo on 360 just out of curiosity.

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

5min and the demo got deleted.

But... but... it's about the story.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i keep finding myself agreeing with gromnir and its freaking me out....

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

After a second attempt at a play-through I realized that magic apparently causes growth hormone deficiency. Mages apparently can be muscle bound and hardcore but not tall, otherwise they turn into warriors. I think this demo sealed it for me, i'm probably just gonna borrow the game from one of my friends after a few months.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

But... but... it's about the story.

hmmm.

I thought it was about the bisexual foursomes.

*reviews thread*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

uhhhhh isnt that DA2?

zings!!!!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Exactly

Yaaaaay, new Sebastian DLC trailer for DA2!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusiv...agon-age/711040

Thank you Bioware for giving us a chara with a Scottish accent.

Now the fangirls are even more hopeful that he's romancable, since Hawke (albeit male Hawke) has a line in the trailer, "If I'm standing beside you, you'll be a good ruler." That just screams for yet another chance to become a Queen. (or Viscountess in this case)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

i'm still certain that bioware would make a killing with a twilight computer game.

^ Interesting comments from the fans, even split between fanbois and folks complaining of nickel-and-dime tactics.

Although top lulz for Bio claiming that a small piece of DLC is "epic." Epic has to be the most overused word at Bioware, I wonder if they have an epic coffee machine just outside Dave Gaider's epic office where an epic intern brings him epic Java as he sits in his epic Barcalounger :thumbsup:

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Interesting comments from the fans, even split between fanbois and folks complaining of nickel-and-dime tactics.

Although top lulz for Bio claiming that a small piece of DLC is "epic." Epic has to be the most overused word at Bioware, I wonder if they have an epic coffee machine just outside Dave Gaider's epic office where an epic intern brings him epic Java as he sits in his epic Barcalounger :thumbsup:

It's not only BioWare. The word 'epic' is overused in the game industry as a whole. By companies and media. Everything is epic nowadays.

Mages apparently can be muscle bound and hardcore but not tall, otherwise they turn into warriors.

Warriors and mages have the exact same body model.

The console has autoattack.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I have way too much fun spamming.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's not only BioWare. The word 'epic' is overused in the game industry as a whole. By companies and media. Everything is epic nowadays.

"epic" is soooooo early 2000's. didn't we move on to "awesome"? course, Gromnir is hardly conversant in contemporary kewl--saw a group o' kids wearing rosaries the other day, and we had to have it explained to us that catholic prayer beads is now a popular fashion accessory. regardless, am not sure that any rational person takes puffery serious. is just meaningless salesman spiel.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

awesome has been THE word since TMNT, its one of the few that really stuck around, since nobody says "cowabunga", "tubular", and "radical" much these days.

epic is a word definitely for those who were born in the 90's.

I don't have any basis for judging the years when its use was/is most prevalent, but I think I can explain a little bit. "Epic" is the best shorthand for the probably most important element of the ego-gratification appeal that games (and especially CPRGs) have included for decades.

It means that, unlike your humdrum actual existence, your actions in this gameworld really matter to a lot of (imaginary) people. That's a key part of the sell for almost any game-- a bit of entertaining escapism that, unlike books or movies or whatever, makes you the player feel important. "Epic" is shorthand for an experience that goes even farther-- an "epic" game promises to make you feel really important, the individual upon whom the lives of nearly everyone you meet depend.

Edited by Enoch

Epic has to be the most overused word at Bioware,

I have to disagree on this. The most overused Bioware word is "dark". WHich is so overused that it is often used twice in the same sentence: "dark, but not too dark."

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

an "epic" game promises to make you feel really important, the individual upon whom the lives of nearly everyone you meet depend.

well, that would explain the bisexual foursomes, then.

*sigh*

ok, we didn't think this were necessary, but following the release o' bg2, EVERY game bio has released has been described as "epic" by bio and publishers and game magazines. and some groups o' fans has complained 'bout the use o' "epic" each and every time it has shown up on websites or in print. tedium.

epic refers to a specific kinda long, narrative poem. it may also refer to any work, fiction or otherwise, that elicits comparison to epic poems. additionally, epic may refer to size... really big = epic.

*shrug*

finally, epic may refer to scope... heroic. grandeur o' scope. heroic characters, acting heroically on a heroic scale. now, say what you will 'bout the quality, length or included poetry o' bio games, but there ain't no viable argument that biowarian games is other than steeped and stinkin' with heroism-- heroic characters, with heroic qualities, acting heroic as they saves the nation/world/galaxy.

is it silly how frequent the biowarians and publishers utilize epic? yeah, but is clear accurate. be warned, for beyond this place, there be heroes.

HA! Good Fun!

epic foursomes?