Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Age 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
568 replies to this topic

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1399 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sinister stuff...

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2944 posts
They are going down a dark path. :(

MrBrown

MrBrown

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 478 posts

I thought warriors can't equip ranged weapons now. :(

That's a class-based restriction. Warriors: Two-handers, sword&shield. Rogues: Dual daggers, archery. Mages: fancy sticks.

Interestingly enough, Hawke's armor is not class-restricted. But it has differing stat requirements by class, so it might as well be. Weird.

EDIT: There are story-related instances where a companion will change their armor's appearance, but I'm not sure if this changes the stats.

PS. Companions (warrior and rogue ones) are restricted to one weapon type. So while you can change Aveline's sword and shield, she'll never equip two-handers. They obviously also lack the tree that gives abilities for the other weapon type. Mage companions, on the other hand, lack one spell tree.

All companions have one specialization tree, that's unique for them (but all somewhat similar to other specializations in DA:O or DA2), and which cannot be picked by Hawke. Hawke has 3 specialization trees, of which s/he can access one at level 7 and a second at level 14.

In short: Hawke, 6 base trees, 3 specialization trees per class. Companions: 6 trees, 5 from base class trees, one unique.

Oh, and you don't have to find specializations in the world, just get to the required level.

(well, that was a long addendum.)

Edited by MrBrown, 10 March 2011 - 06:07 PM.

Azure79

Azure79

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1532 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Most of the sidequests I've encountered are the go there, kill this variety, though the motives and setup are different.

I guess the most interesting one I've run into so far is when you're party gets sent into the Fade and
Spoiler
I thought this was a interesting little quest and something you can skip over entirely (I think) if you're so inclined.

There is also a serial murder mystery that has started to unravel. I think I know who the culprit might be, but I don't think the game will tell me until later acts.

Nightshape

Nightshape

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1851 posts
Dragon Age 2 is what happends when you have to cut all the corners to make sure you ship.

It shouldn't really be called Dragon Age 2, it's not even cut from the same cloth, its merely cut from a cloth that looks a bit like it.

From what I've played so far I wouldn't say its a bad game, I would say that Mike Laidlaw and co. Should get a win/fail stamp, they win because they shipped a product in a crazy short timeframe, but they fail because they agree'd to it in some manner... It's really sad.

Well the new age of console lead Action/RPG has truly dawned, its been coming for a while, but DA:O was without a doubt, an end of a bioware era. I don't think we'll see such a game from bioware again, as they move along a more... Interactive, opposed to, strategic future.

Edited by Nightshape, 10 March 2011 - 06:53 PM.

MrBrown

MrBrown

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 478 posts

edit: also, anybody up for giving any examples of decent/good writing or quests? So far I've only seen okish or silly.

Isn't that kinda contradictory? If you know about the good stuff before hand, then you won't enjoy finding them out in the game. Plus they're not nearly as good written down.

In any case, a few examples.

1: Qunari philosophy. I rather like the stuff. If you hated everything Sten said in DA:O, you probably won't like them this time around either, though. :(

2: A more specific example, the one I've liked the most so far. I'd advise against reading, but you asked for it. :p

Spoiler

Obviously, this might play a bit differently depending on what you choose.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16269 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"Dragon Age 2 is what happends when you have to cut all the corners to make sure you ship.

It shouldn't really be called Dragon Age 2, it's not even cut from the same cloth, its merely cut from a cloth that looks a bit like it."

Totally disagree. like it or not, good or bad, DA2 is very much the sequel to DA1. It smells, it craps, it sounds, it sings, it plays just like DA1.

Some things are better, some things are worse, some things are different, some things are the same, but it is DA2 in all the ways that matter.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8771 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's a class-based restriction. Warriors: Two-handers, sword&shield. Rogues: Dual daggers, archery. Mages: fancy sticks.

Interestingly enough, Hawke's armor is not class-restricted. But it has differing stat requirements by class, so it might as well be. Weird.

Exactly. For me DAO had pretty boring writing, it was all about the party combat, loot, level up, etc. I enjoyed 'powergaming' on Nightmare. If loot / customisation is so restricted that most companions have their own gear and weapon types are restricted except for amulets/rings, that takes down that kind of gameplay a notch. I have no idea what was wrong with being able to make Leliana different kind of thieves - why restrict that?

On the 'good bits' you've got a point, though Azure's example sounds interesting. I guess I'm pretty sure now I won't waste my money on DA2, not while it's at full price anyway... but I think I still want to convince myself it'll be fun. :(

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9811 posts
You guys write too much stuff. Dragon Age 2 continued here

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users