Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

no XP on local co-op?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Many of you have probably not played them, but think of the co-op like it was handled in another Square Enix(Squaresoft back then) series, Secret of Mana.

topeira

topeira

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts

Many of you have probably not played them, but think of the co-op like it was handled in another Square Enix(Squaresoft back then) series, Secret of Mana.

secret of what? j\k. no. dont know what that is.

hold on , let me ask.

oh, thank you, youtube. my, that's an old one.

the rumors about not gaining XP on local co-op has me worried...

As far as I know, you will gain xp on local co-op on the char you play. You just can't port that char into another save game. It's "stuck" on the person's save game who you played it with.

if this is the case than im prefectly fine by that. it makes sense, balance wise, and i am all for balance. in this type of game at least.

rafoca

rafoca

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts

Ascaron, the company behind Sacred 2 (multiplatform), didn´t have infinite budget. In fact, the company went bankrupt.
And that game show how co-op should be. The world is huge, seamless, varied, and you can use your own character from your single player game to play in co0-op (even in local co-op).

I am pretty sure money is not the problem here.

No, because it is a complete different game syste.

There are resons Obsidian did what they did regarding local co-op and its not to be lazy.

How different? They are all hack and slash with level up, loot, co-op, monsters and story.

They are exactly in the same genre.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4086 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ascaron, the company behind Sacred 2 (multiplatform), didn´t have infinite budget. In fact, the company went bankrupt.
And that game show how co-op should be. The world is huge, seamless, varied, and you can use your own character from your single player game to play in co0-op (even in local co-op).

I am pretty sure money is not the problem here.

No, because it is a complete different game syste.

There are resons Obsidian did what they did regarding local co-op and its not to be lazy.

How different? They are all hack and slash with level up, loot, co-op, monsters and story.

They are exactly in the same genre.

I didn't talk about the gerne.

SirPetrakus

SirPetrakus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This sounds even better than what I was expecting. At any point in the game, my friend can join in and play, without having to worry about level differences, equipment and stats. The 3 minutes it may take him to level up his skills, is hardly something that would bother me.

Lord Elvewyn

Lord Elvewyn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 153 posts

This sounds even better than what I was expecting. At any point in the game, my friend can join in and play, without having to worry about level differences, equipment and stats. The 3 minutes it may take him to level up his skills, is hardly something that would bother me.

Surely not at every point in the game. From what I've read the early missions entail 'unlocking' i.e. rescuing the 3 unselected characters i.e. if Lucas you need to rescue Angel, Gun Girl & the Alchemist (okay nicknames may not be accurate) before they can join your party. In Co-Op people play as your allies, which you won't have to begin with. That means no Co-Op until you're partway through the game right?

Olauron Mor-Galad

Olauron Mor-Galad

Arcane Wellspring of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Surely not at every point in the game. From what I've read the early missions entail 'unlocking' i.e. rescuing the 3 unselected characters i.e. if Lucas you need to rescue Angel, Gun Girl & the Alchemist (okay nicknames may not be accurate) before they can join your party. In Co-Op people play as your allies, which you won't have to begin with. That means no Co-Op until you're partway through the game right?

It is said that your friend can play any of the other 3 characters, even if they are locked for you (as a host player). Let me quote Co-optimus:

They were only showing local co-op, one dev played as Lucas while the other jumped in and out of the game as Anjali. He said that he could choose any of the three characters, even if the host player had not unlocked them yet.

Lord Elvewyn

Lord Elvewyn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 153 posts

It is said that your friend can play any of the other 3 characters, even if they are locked for you (as a host player). Let me quote Co-optimus:

They were only showing local co-op, one dev played as Lucas while the other jumped in and out of the game as Anjali. He said that he could choose any of the three characters, even if the host player had not unlocked them yet.

Ah, my mistake. I've only read a couple of the previews so far and hadn't seen that. I'm sortof hung up on the AtomicGamer one that describes DS3 as being akin to Street Fighter, regular attacks being used to power up the ability to launch an uber attack. Oh and another one that said no regeneration. Mana's out I understand but I anticipated health regen. Apparently that's not the case. Lucas Skywalker :( apparently has a regen stance but whether that's common to all characters ???

Alvin Nelson

Alvin Nelson

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Spiffer2021

Ah, my mistake. I've only read a couple of the previews so far and hadn't seen that. I'm sortof hung up on the AtomicGamer one that describes DS3 as being akin to Street Fighter, regular attacks being used to power up the ability to launch an uber attack. Oh and another one that said no regeneration. Mana's out I understand but I anticipated health regen. Apparently that's not the case. Lucas Skywalker :( apparently has a regen stance but whether that's common to all characters ???

All characters have a defensive stance like Lucas.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
Co-Optimus preview updated

Editor's Note: We've removed some details on co-op for now as it seems we've jumped the gun a bit on the multiplayer info. Coming in early March we'll have a brand new feature highlighting co-op gameplay in Dungeon Siege 3 along with interviews and quotes from various members of the Obsidian staff regarding the game and its multiplayer features.

Edited by funcroc, 25 February 2011 - 08:51 PM.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 4086 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So, we are back to "not knowing anything"?

:sorcerer:

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So, we are back to "not knowing anything"?

>_<

We are! :sorcerer:

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 4086 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
new article regarding it from Destructoid

http://www.destructo...ns-195120.phtml

Bendu

Bendu

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 815 posts
  • Steam:BenduHead
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sounds OK for me. I'm more interested in if there will be matchmaking or will I have to invite people for an online co-op game?

Edited by Bendu, 26 February 2011 - 01:10 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Good, now perhaps we can move on from the :thumbsup: that all originated with a couple of idiot journos not knowing what they're on about.

Sounds really normal to me, SP characters, MP characters, they earn XP, etc. This is a no-news. The only possibly controversial thing is hwo you can't have more than 1 Lucas in a single game, as that might get inconvenient.

rc deaths agent

rc deaths agent

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:rc deaths agent

"Co-op players can absolutely expect to have the loot and experience they gain in multiplayer games to be saved to their multiplayer characters ... Achievements and Trophies earned in multiplayer are still saved to your profile as normal and there are additional awards that you can only receive from playing in a multiplayer co-operative game."

"There’s no question that the ability to carry entirely persistent character data around can be fun, but it also presents a number of unique challenges including those from a balance and storytelling perspective," he added. "When you join a multiplayer game in Dungeon Siege III, if someone is already playing Lucas or Anjali, you will not be able to play as that same character simply because it does not make any sense from a storytelling perspective. Having 3-4 Anjali’s running around turning monsters into giblets sounds fun, and it’s something you could do in other titles, but it completely breaks the story immersion we’ve worked so hard to create. And, of course, our heroes have numerous combat-related synergies that you would never see with a party of the same characters.

What the hell does this mean? Does it mean if you join a game where you have to play Anjali and your multiplayer character is Lucas, do you get to take xp and loot you get back to your character Lucas?

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

What the hell does this mean? Does it mean if you join a game where you have to play Anjali and your multiplayer character is Lucas, do you get to take xp and loot you get back to your character Lucas?

No. You will have to make Anjali or one of the other two to play with.

rc deaths agent

rc deaths agent

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts

No. You will have to make Anjali or one of the other two to play with.

I see...guess we'll need to create 4 multiplayer characters at once then. That way no matter who you have to play you'll be good.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You'd only have two mian types of co-op though - ones where you play with buddies and keep going with the same guys, where it's not an issue, and ones where you just jump in anywhere, in which case you can just jump in wherever your character's available. Would only be a problem if balance issues meant everybody wanted to be X.

I'm not crazy about the decision though, in the end to me MP/co-op is about playing with other people, SP is about the story and taking your time doing things, etc. I suppose there are a lot of char-specific things in the plot going on.

rc deaths agent

rc deaths agent

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts

You'd only have two mian types of co-op though - ones where you play with buddies and keep going with the same guys, where it's not an issue, and ones where you just jump in anywhere, in which case you can just jump in wherever your character's available. Would only be a problem if balance issues meant everybody wanted to be X.

I'm not crazy about the decision though, in the end to me MP/co-op is about playing with other people, SP is about the story and taking your time doing things, etc. I suppose there are a lot of char-specific things in the plot going on.

This is just for co-op though right? I'm sure there's gonna be an persistant non-story related online mode right? Where we can all build our characters and play online together?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users