Let's play Drakensang: the River of Time

HoonDing

Under the light of the moon, Nimralph leads the volunteers to the ambush place.

drakensang2011021900262.png

drakensang2011021900274.png

The bait works and gets mangled by the werewolf, who then quickly goes over to the attack.

drakensang2011021900291.png

The werewolf packs quite a punch, has very high armor rating and has an annoying penchant of focusing on Urdiriel. But it didn't count on the Lightning spell that both Urdiriel and Jaakon can now cast...

After defeating the werewolf, it flees and breaks through the barricades, forcing Urdiriel and the rest to chase it to the marketplace. However, the beast set a trap.

drakensang2011021900340.png

Urdiriel and her companions find themselves surrounded by the werewolf's buddies and a big fights breaks out on the steps of the Praios Temple.

drakensang2011021900363.png

The werewolf will first attack alone, but after taking some damage all other wolves will also go over to the attack... Cano's area buff/debuff and Precision Strike, combined with Urdiriel's incendiary arrows are critical for victory in this fight.

The werewolf flees into the Temple of Praios after it is mortally wounded, and after killing the rest of the wolves Nimralph orders the party to enter the Temple and finish the beast off.

drakensang2011021900415.png

Inside, the party is just in time to witness the werewolf breathe its last breath.

drakensang2011021900425.png

drakensang2011021900425.png

drakensang2011021900430.png

(Un)surprisingly, the werewolf turns out to be none other than the Praios Deont himself.

After the werewolf's death, the sun comes up and Nimralph takes the party back to the town guard. The party is rewarded for this quest with the Andergaster, a fantastic two-hander. However, all our party's fighters will be fighting with shields, hence the blade is sold for a lot of profit.

drakensang2011021900443.png

Next: even more sidequests

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

With Cano in the party, the opportunity arises to enter the Thieves Guild of Nadoret.

drakensang2011021900495.png

WOLTERS CLAAS: What do you want? Hey, aren't you Cano? I've already heard a lot about you. Come on in.

CANO: How about a little detour in Nadoret's Thieves Guild?

URDIRIEL: That sounds exciting. Why not?

WOLTERS CLAAS: Can your companion be trusted?

CANO: On my honor, I only bring my best friends to this place!

WOLTERS CLAAS: Then you can come in. Don't let the men upstairs distract you, the Silver Vixen is downstairs.

In the kitchen inside, some clowns are preparing for their "ultimate heist".

drakensang2011021900503.png

Cano seems to be well known around the place.

drakensang2011021900504.png

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Well, well, if it isn't the King of Thieves from Havena!

CANO: Uh, no, unfortunately that's not him.

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Aah, not yet? Is it maybe because of that redhead?

FORGRIMM: Heh heh heh.

CANO: Everything has its price. Do you know what, Saul, I'll tell you about it some time over a nice, relaxing glass of wine.

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Very well. Then, what can I do for you?

URDIRIEL: What exactly are you doing here?

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Ah well, it's actually very hush-hush, but now that you're here, it probably won't hurt if you are in on it.

GUILDENSTERNBAG: We're "Danio Efferdian's Eleven Accomplices" and getting ready for our biggest Phexcapade yet.

URDIRIEL: Who are Efferdian's Eleven Accomplices?

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Well, for one there's Efferdian, of course, the leader of our gang. Then there's Linus and Reuben here, who are practicing their sneaking skills.

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Rosenbeck is very important to this enterprise, too. I assume he's working on the numbers again, after all he's responsible for the planning. The two sleepers upstairs are the night foxes, our burglars.

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Then there are two Hill Dwarf twins Ligriwosh and Crutwush for all kinds of diversionary tactics and we have Herman for disarming underhanded traps. He's sitting in front and wants to be left alone.

GUILDENSTERNBAG: And finally there's me, Saul Guildensternbag, the man with the big plan!

JAAKON: [Cleverness] But that's just ten people. Aren't you Efferdian's "Eleven" Accomplices?

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Err.... oh, really, only ten? I mean... of course! That's part of the plan! What would a Phexcapade be without a surprise?

URDIRIEL: And just what is your grand Phexcapade?

GUILDENSTERNBAG: Ha, well we would we prety stupid to reveal our big plan to another thief... Let me just say that we're planning everything to the last detail here.

Downstairs in the basement, we meet the leader of the Thieves Guild, Dilga Panek, aka the Silver Vixen. She gives us a little quest.

drakensang2011021900515.png

DILGA PANEK: Cano, what a surprise! And you are not alone... who do I have the pleasure of meeting?

URDIRIEL: ... Errr, I am...

CANO: Dilga, the cat from Festum, dream of my sleepless nights. Don't worry about the company I keep, I'm vouching for her.

DILGA PANEK: Ah Cano, you helpless rabbit, you never were good at lying. Nevertheless... welcome. You may call me Dilga, the Silver Vixen.

FORGRIMM: Helpless rabbit... Muah ha ha hoo!

URDIRIEL: It is a pleasure. I'm Urdiriel Teardream.

DILGA PANEK: Would you like to do something for me?

URDIRIEL: Well, what is it?

DILGA PANEK: I would like to know what that newly-arrived ship is unloading in the harbor... an unobtrusive glance should suffice... But remember, no blood spilling, stay inconspicuous. If the chests are guarded, use your head.

The party heads to the harbor and find the chest guarded by an Overseer.

drakensang2011021900570.png

To get rid of the Overseer the Phex way, use is made of the "floozy" nearby.

drakensang2011021900572.png

FLOOZY: How can I help you, sweetie?

URDIRIEL: I'd like to do some business with you.

FLOOZY: Well, well, isn't this interesting. Let's see what you want, lassie.

URDIRIEL: It's about a friend of mine...

FLOOZY: I've heard this line before...

URDIRIEL: He works at the harbor...

FLOOZY: Hmm... I don't care what kind of crooked scheme you have p your sleeve... but that drives the price up, of course.

CANO: [secude] Honey bunny, you would be doing me a big favor if you let him show you around the warehouse.

FLOOZY: [succes] He he "honey bunny", not bad. You know a thing or two about sweet-talking. I'll do it for you, my pumpkin.

drakensang2011021900574.png

The floozy will disappear with the harbor worker in the warehouse, and now the party can get rid of the Overseer by snitching the harbor worker. They take a glance into the chest and report back to Dilga (however, the actual content of the chest is never revealed).

On the way to the ship, at this point a nobleman, Protector Enno of Vardock, will spawn who will mark a new location on the map, the "Hunting Preserve". The nobleman will ask to be taken there for a lot of money.

drakensang2011021901040.png

drakensang2011021901051.png

drakensang2011021901055.png

The hunting preserve as an area is a treasure trove to harvest a lot of rare plants that are necessary to craft some of the more advanced potions. Enno of Vardock will periodically offer some small hunting quests that give good money rewards.

There is more to do in this area, but for now we simply drop off the Protector and move on to the Tollgate.

The Tollgate is our last stop before to the Elf village.

Upon arriving, this time our party receives a warm welcome and will not only be exempt from the toll, but also be asked to meet with the new commandant, van Haring, sent from Ferdok by Count Growin.

drakensang2011021901301.png

We also meet some old friends. It's Captain Albass and the Star of Ferdok.

drakensang2011021901304.png

Janah is back on her feet as well.

drakensang2011021901310.png

JANAH: Urdiriel Teardream, is it really you? You look like someone out of Piet's travelers' tales! It's so good to see you again!

JANAH: Did you hear the news? A horde of insane Dwarves have placed all the tollkeepers under a magical slumber. Then they summoned a water elemental who ate the corrupt commandant!

JANAH: But I'm sure you've seen even more exciting things! Oh, I really should stop talking, otherwise Piet will get mad again.

Meeting up with van Haring, he will commend the party and give a bounty hunting quest. From now on, our party receives 5 thalers for each silver emblem (looted from pirates' bodies), while the pirate leaders' gold emblem gives a special reward.

However, van Haring also offers a more interesting quest. We must deal with his errant nephew.

drakensang2011021901351.png

VAN HARING: My nephew Hubert, the useless brat, is shirking his duties as a soldier! He thinks the rules don't apply to him, he just spends the whole time reading a book!

VAN HARING: Unfortunately his parents are from a noble family, so I can't discipline him like any normal soldier. I need you to bring me the book to put an end to this nonsense. He's usually somewhere near the river, dreaming his days away.

The party finds the brat on the riverside. Hubert is a very annoying teenager that is just begging for a renegade interrupt.

drakensang2011021901375.png

drakensang2011021901375.png

HUBERT VAN HARING: Who... who are you? Leave me alone! I don't feel like talking to you!

URDIRIEL: Why? Are you going to read your book?

HUBERT VAN HARING: You know about it? I bet my uncle sent you to take it away from me! Tell him I'm not interested in his miserable guard duty!

HUBERT VAN HARING: That boring beadle! All he talks about is duty and order, but he's just trying to suck up to my parents! He knows nothing about the things that are really important.

URDIRIEL: Let's just forget your uncle for a moment. What's so interesting about your book?

HUBERT VAN HARING: It's about real feelings. Here, everybody just does what they're told! Nobody really does anything just because they want to... or because they like someone... errr... you know...

URDIRIEL: And you? Would you do something if you liked someone? Someone n particular, maybe?

HUBERT VAN HARING: Oh, that's not what I... erm, well there is this girl... Jasmine, she's Captain Honorald's daughter... she's just so much more... mature than the other girls... more sensitive, and so...

URDIRIEL: Do you like this Jasmine? Maybe I can help to make sure that she likes you too...

HUBERT VAN HARING: Really? You could do th at? Err... I mean, how would you do that?

There are various ways to persuade the brat.

drakensang2011021901381.png

CANO: [seduce] Listen, I'll tell you exactly what to say to her. That will win her heart!

HUBERT VAN HARING: Oh... I don't even know those words! Do you really think I should... yes, I'm sure that'll work. A thousand thanks. Here, take the book.

CANO: Don't worry, it's always worked for me. Well, nearly always...

Bringing the book to Commandant von Haring nets us one lousy ducat, but he also lets us keep it. The book itself contains some clues on how to pass a certain Troll Bridge in Nadoret.

drakensang2011021901383.png

drakensang2011021901383.png

Now, our party is ready to move on to the Elf village.

drakensang2011021901405.png

NEXT UP: the Elf village.

Edited by virumor

drakensang2011021921465.png

Our party arrives just as the pirates are preparing to attack the Elf village.

drakensang2011021921475.png

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Not so fast, Bravethorn! We should approach these Elves with caution.

MATT BRAVETHORN: Captain, if we attack quickly, we can catch them unprepared! Let's take their Elven treasures!

A single Elf appears and tries to dissuade the pirates.

drakensang2011021921480.png

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Turn back, if you cannot forget your greed. Only those who seek harmony are welcome in these woods.

MATT BRAVETHORN: Too bad for you, we're looking for something else. Seize her!

drakensang2011021921482.png

However, the Elf casts some flashy spell and sends the pirates running with their tails between their legs. The Elf then addresses the party.

drakensang2011021921484.png

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Sanya bha, fey, I greet you. My name is Isaliel Wingstroke. What a strange destiny... I sense that a Dwarf's worry for a Human brings you back to your own people.

URDIRIEL: Greetings! I am Urdiriel Teardream. This is Cano, Forgrimm and Jaakon. We seek healing for our friend Ardo.

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: We will help, if we can. But like your friend, we also struggle with a dark threat that is draining our strength.

URDIRIEL: It seems our warning about the pirates came too late.

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: They were not unexpected... but we could not lessen their fury without the song of peace. Every note led to discord with all the horror.

URDIRIEL: This horror disrupts the iamanda of this place... I feel it too.

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Form replaces light and shadows grow. What must be, must be.

URDIRIEL: I understand. But as for the pirates - we could at least help you there.

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Act prudently! I shall send a fey to care for your friend. We shall meet again at the say'dhaba, the Great Tree.

URDIRIEL: I thank you in Ardo's name. See you soon!

The Elf leaves and now Urdiriel's party members will propose three ways of dealing with the pirates. Forgrimm wants to kill them all, Cano wants to play them against each other, while Jaakon prefers peaceful reconciliation.

JAAKON: What an extraordinary encounter. The Elves have more important things to do, so we must deal with the pirates instead.

FORGRIMM: Yes, the pirates... I'm telling you, they're in league with that Coldstone. They're to blame for everything! Well, now it's time to repay them... with my ax!

CANO: Take it easy, Shorty! We don't know the whole story yet. We don't even know what they want here.

FORGRIMM: Take it easy? While Ardo is dying? I'll get the whole story out of them with my fists!

CANO: With your methods, we'll never find out what the pirates did with Mora. You ought to stay here with Ardo while I deal with this.

FORGRIMM: How dare you tell me what to do, rogue! It wasn't my idea to call on the tree huggers. Why don't you stay, while I...

URDIRIEL: Stop your arguing! We agreed that I would lead us on our mission.

FORGRIMM: Enough talking now! Let actions speak... where's the whetstone?

JAAKON: I see no need to solve the problem with brute force. If we use our intelligence, it should be easy to mediate successfully between the two parties.

CANO: Why help the pirates for nothing, when we can use their goals to achieve our own? Phex is bound to look kindly on a profitable deception!

After all said and done, the party goes to look for the pirates in the swamp, which is crawling with ugly mutated creatures called "mire beasts".

drakensang2011021922042.png

drakensang2011021922082.png

In the swamp there are also two huge stone heads, under which are buried the bones of a woman and an amulet of Rondra. These objects will be important for a side quest later on.

Soon, our party also comes upon the source of the mire beasts: the morning thorn plant. The prick of its thorns mutates anything into a mire beast.

drakensang2011021922091.png

drakensang2011021922092.png

A mage, or rather a druid, then appears and addresses us. It is Archon Megalon, a legendary figure in TDE lore. With Urdiriel being a ranger, we can talk up to the druid.

drakensang2011021922094.png

ARCHON MEGALON: Feel free to ask your questions... or are you afraid of me?

URDIRIEL: I am not afraid... more interested...

ARCHON MEGALON: A most remarkable scientific phenomenon: those pricked by the morning thorn bush undergo an immediate transformation into a mire beast.

URDIRIEL: The transformation usually takes seven days... this must be a very unusual specimen.

ARCHON MEGALON: You also seem to be an unusual specimen. More learned than most... but don't think that you can teach me anything.

ARCHON MEGALON: The already magical properties of the plant have clearly been manipulated to accelerate the magic. This is the result of careful magical research.

URDIRIEL: I find the plant's properties more alarming than interesting.

ARCHON MEGALON: You are afraid although you know the danger? Interesting... tell me more.

URDIRIEL: This plant has created a lot of very aggressive mire beasts... who knows what they once were...

ARCHON MEGALON: I do. And you might, sooner or later. But I must deal with more important matters.

Archon Megalon then teleports away and leaves our party to look for the pirates.

The pirates made their camp in the ruins of a theater.

drakensang2011021922171.png

Entering the pirate camp, a pirate named Flea attempts to rob our party, but their leader, Captain Hookensang, stops him. Hookensang turns out to be quite an agreeable fellow. Now, Urdiriel must decide which path to follow to deal with the pirates... being an Elf herself, she opts for peaceful reconciliation.

drakensang2011021922181.png

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Silence, Flea! You do not have the authority to decide how we treat strangers.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: What a surprising visit. Praise the Twelf... Wait a minute, you're an Elf?

URDIRIEL: Well spotted. But I am not from the tribe that lives here.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Allow me to ask why you are here.

JAAKON: [whispers] He seems very sensible for a pirate captain... I'm sure he wouldn't be averse to a peaceful negotiation.

CANO: [whispers] Make it clear that you want to negotiate so we can act freely here... then we'll have something up our sleeve if we can't carry out my plan.

URDIRIEL: I saw your encounter with the Elves and I wanted to make a suggestion.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Interesting. I'm listening.

URDIRIEL: I could act as a negotiator.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Hmm... it could work. But tell me, what are your motives?

URDIRIEL: I want to avoid bloodshed for the sake of my people.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Really? Well, if you wish to risk a parley with these wild Elves, then I won't stop you.

URDIRIEL: So we are agreed? But your people need to stay peaceful... I'll tell them myself, if necessary.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Hold your horses, there! Theoretically speaking... what's to stop you from telling the authorities our current location?

URDIRIEL: Well, you, of course... my ship is right here, unprotected. I wouldn't have the chance to get away.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: I see we understand one another. Speak with the crew, then, if you like. I can do without more trouble than these Elves are already giving me.

URDIRIEL: I'm confident that I can act as a negotiator between our peoples.

The party then travels to the Great Tree, an oversized baobab. Through a hole in the bark the branches of the tree, where the Elves live, can be reached.

drakensang2011021922343.png

drakensang2011021922410.png

Urdiriel now meets with Isaliel again.

drakensang2011021922410.png

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Sanyasala. You spoke with the greedy humans?

URDIRIEL: Their captain has accepted me as negotiator. I can speak for you in the negotiations.

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: You wish to speak for us, even though you have left your own tribe? Let Linwen Owlwing teach you about us so we know whether you can really share feysala with us.

Linwen Owlwing instructs Urdiriel to learn about the soul creatures of three Elves of Isaliel's tribe.

drakensang2011021922413.png

LINWEN OWLWING: Sanyasala! How pleasant to have another Elf guest here. Gwendala Sunbreeze has also come to us from afar.

URDIRIEL: Nurd'dhao! My name is Urdiriel Teardream and I thank you for your friendly welcome. I wish to follow Isaliel's advice and learn more about this tribe.

LINWEN OWLWING: Then look around you. From this tree we see far and guard the forest. From here, we throw ourselves into the storm when we spread out wings.

URDIRIEL: You mean, in the form of your soul creatures?

LINWEN OWLWING: That is correct. If you wish to follow Isaliel's suggestion, you should spend time with my tribe. You will not learn the transformation, but you will come to understand our ways and possibly discover much about yourself.

URDIRIEL: When will I know that I understand enough?

LINWEN OWLWING: Initially, it should be enough for you to recognize the soul creatures of Elbrenell Mistcaller, Calenleya Arrowsong and Lellindor Boughwalker.

Various Elves around the place can help with our task, including Gwendala (who is a joinable NPC in Drakensang 1).

drakensang2011021922431.png

GWENDALA: Sanyasala! Feydha Gwendala. I see that you do not belong to this tribe.

URDIRIEL: Sanyasala iama! Your senses do not deceive you. But I feel that your song is from far away. You are not from here?

GWENDALA: That is true. My tribe sent me on an uncertain path. I am just spending some time here before continuing my search.

URDIRIEL: What do you seek? Maybe I can help.

GWENDALA: I am sorry, but I am not allowed to speak of it. I can only say that it involves a High Elven artifact.

CANO: [Fast Talk] But if I happen to find it, I won't recognize it and I won't be able to give it to you...

GWENDALA: [success] In which case my quest would be fruitless! Very well... I am searching for a High Elven weapon. My tribe wants to keep it safe in order to protect other Elves from its harmful effects.

URDIRIEL: I am trying to get to know the tribe here better.

GWENDALA: Why are you asking me? I am not from here.

URDIRIEL: But surely you can tell me something about the other Elves here, can't you? I am trying to discover their soul creatures.

GWENDALA: An interesting concern... Not everybody here will reveal their inner selves to you willingly. Tell me, whose soul creatures do you seek?

URDIRIEL: I seek the soul creature of Calenleya Arrowsong.

GWENDALA: She is proud and does not even try to understand Humans. When I was hunting in the forest, I saw an eagle watching me... it could have been her.

URDIRIEL: What do you think of Elbrenell Mistcaller?

GWENDALA: Well, he's probably a very noisy bird of some kind... but not a duck. Something else... something lighter, more mysterious.

URDIRIEL: What about Lellindor Boughwalker?

GWENDALA: He is very careful... but as long as you don't bother him when he's talking to the tree or his soul creature, he will speak with you.

Armed with this knowledge, Urdiriel should be able to find out about the soul creatures of the three Elves.

drakensang2011021922444.png

ELBRENELL MISTCALLER: Sanyasala! Isaliel has told me about you. Why do you travel with Humans and a Dwarf?

URDIRIEL: My friend's nurdra is under threat. It is stopping him from fulfilling a very important task.

ELBRENELL MISTCALLER: I shall search for signs of what the future bears for your friend. But tell me if I can help you in any other way.

URDIRIEL: I am looking for clues to help me guess your soul creature. It is one of Linwen's little games.

ELBRENELL MISTCALLER: One learns well from playing games... well, I could give you a couple of clues.

URDIRIEL: Will you tell me something about your soul creature?

ELBRENELL MISTCALLER: Hmm... some find the song of this beautiful bird unharmonious... it sounds like a loud rattle...

CANO: [Human Nature: Elbrenell seems to be a curious Elf who likes talking a lot.] Your behaviour reminds me of a magpie. Am I right?

ELBRENELL MISTCALLER: O

Having learnt the soul creatures of the three Elves, Isaliel agrees to have Urdiriel speak for her tribe. It is time to return to Hookensang and ask what the pirates want from the Elves.

drakensang2011021922535.png

URDIRIEL: The Elf tribe is prepared to negotiate with you. What are your demands?

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Demands? You make it sound like this ridiculous trip was my idea. Damned magician...

FORGRIMM: Magician? I was right! Where is the fellow? I'll smash him!

CANO: How interesting... Tell us more, Captain!

JAAKON: Are you referring to a specific mage?

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: I am sorry, you must have misheard me. I said "dumb ambition".

URDIRIEL: Oh. Ambition... of course. So, what do you want of the Elves?

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Elven puff.

URDIRIEL: We Elves call it bianbalve, the grass of the clouds.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: We need a whole bale of it.

URDIRIEL: Very well, I will tell the tribe of your request. What do you offer in return?

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: We have no intention of buying the Elven puff at market price.

URDIRIEL: We Elves have no interest in your little metal disks.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Hmm... in your opinion, what do the Elves want?

URDIRIEL: Stop felling trees and rattling your sabres. Just leave.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Are you serious? You think the Elves will just give us what we want if we leave?

URDIRIEL: Yes, harmony is important to them. They are not interested in collecting possessions.

CAPTAIN HOOKENSANG: Of course. I look forward to the succesful completion of these negotiations. Farewell.

Returning to Isaliel, she agrees to Hookensang's conditions after some convincing and finally the party can bring Hookensang the Elven puff. He receives the Elven puff in exchange for his word never to return.

drakensang2011021922564.png

The pirates then pack up and leave.

drakensang2011021922571.png

drakensang2011021922573.png

Now Isaliel is willing to reveal what is going on with Ardo. She also grants us the location of the river pirates' hideout.

drakensang2011021922583.png

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Your friend is under the influence of what we call zertaubra. Destructive magic, impelled by the power of the mind. We too, are suffering from such magic, although the source is different.

URDIRIEL: Have you been able to combat it?

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Our fates are intertwined. Two streams converge to become a mighty river... If you bring Ardo to us, you will learn everything else from Alari.

URDIRIEL: To help Ardo, I must ask you something else: do you know where the pirates came from?

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: My eyes see far. Open your mind and I will show you the way.

URDIRIEL: Ohh... a thousand times thank you! I will take Ardo to Alari.

Now the healer, Alari Springborn, will reveal everything about what is troubling the Elves.

drakensang2011021922590.png

ALARI SPRINGBORN: Sanyasala! Place Ardo on my bed, I cannot sleep in any case... I will not manage to heal him now, but I can keep him alive.

ALARI SPRINGBORN: His spirit is trapped by a powerful magic that prevents him from waking and constantly saps his vitality... like us, he is unable to recover his strength through sleep.

URDIRIEL: Isaliel spoke of evil magic that is weakening you. Is there nothing more you can do about it?

ALARI SPRINGBORN: Disturbing dreams are draining our mandra. We can no longer sing our magic songs to soothe the pain... where songs and laughter once filled the air, desolation and torpor now reign.

URDIRIEL: Do you know where these nightmares come from?

ALARI SPRINGBORN: They come from the fallen stone northwest of here. The thing that resides there is not of this world... we have guarded this place for centuries.

ALARI SPRINGBORN: But now the guards are torn from life and the magical barrier that protects us from fear and weakness is breached. But this also means that you can now go there to help Ardo.

URDIRIEL: How can I help him by going to some ruins?

ALARI SPRINGBORN: The zertaubra is strong in that place and even older than Isaliel. But I also hear other music there... next to fury that can never be tamed, I sense a powerful source of healing.

URDIRIEL: I will find the remedy and try to end your agony.

Thus, the party sets off to the ruins that Alari spoke of.

drakensang2011022015265.png

Near the ruins, they come upon the bodies of the slain Elven guards. Being practically immortal, the Elves do not bury the bodies of their slain brethren.

drakensang2011022015313.png

Near the ruins, the party also comes upon another stone head, and find more bones buried underneath.

At the entrance to the ruins, Archon Megalon pops up again.

drakensang2011022015395.png

ARCHON MEGALON: Ah! A new participant for my experiments. What took you so long?

URDIRIEL: I am not here for some experiment. I am here to find a remedy for my friend.

ARCHON MEGALON: Two things that are not necessarily mutually exclusive if you consider the horrors you must face in order to achieve your goal.

URDIRIEL: What horror do you speak of?

ARCHON MEGALON: A demon. Summoned by the ancient Bosparanians, bound by their power, animated by their knowledge... and controlled by their logic.

JAAKON: [Arcane Lore] A demon summoned and bound so long ago? I very much doubt the magical wards are still in place.

ARCHON MEGALON: You clearly already have some superficial knowledge on the subject. In that case, you will soon learn that many years ago, great minds dared to carry out experiments beyond your imagination. Does that thought alarm you?

JAAKON: [Arcane Lore] "Fear is the armor of the brave man. It guards him from the fate of the foolhardy".

ARCHON MEGALON: Since you are already quoting me, you probably want to take part in my experiment. You will descend to the depths and face your fear. Look for the seal stones that manipulate the manifestation of the demon in the Third Sphere.

CANO: [Human Nature] You are trying to manipulate me... what do you want?

ARCHON MEGALON: The intelligent test subject recognizes that it is not the focus of the experiment and that value is placed only on the result... let's proceed to the intended objective of the experiment.

URDIRIEL: Alright. Why do you want the seal stones?

ARCHON MEGALON: I am conducting a series of experiments. I am currently dealing with the competing relationship between fear and greed, taking into account mental deconstruction due to irrational influences.

ARCHON MEGALON: For each seal stone you bring me, I will reward you with an appropriate number of ducats or other items that may be of value to you. But remember, your life may depend on how you expend the seals.

ARCHON MEGALON: You can use the seals to reduce the demon's powers, but once you have used a seal, you cannot recover it. It is your decision.

URDIRIEL: One shouldn't count one's chickens before they hatch...

Thus, our party enters the Bosparanians Ruins.

drakensang2011022015420.png

NEXT UP: dungeon crawling

drakensang2011022015430.png

Inside the ruins, it soon appears that the party is not alone. Archon Megalon suckered more fools into the ruins for his 'experiment', in this case Amazons. It was they who killed the Elven guards.

After killing the Amazons and entering a dark corridor of the ruins, the party finds the place is swarming undead.

drakensang2011022015495.png

Our task is to acquire the three turnkeys to open the big door that leads to the lower levels. Each of these turnkeys is obtained by solving a puzzle in a specific puzzle room.

drakensang2011022015540.png

However, a group of Amazons has reached the first puzzleroom and solved the puzzle before the party. After killing them, the party obtains the first turnstone.

Inside another part of the ruins, there is a non-hostile Amazon who addresses the party.

drakensang2011022016075.png

LARYS: You there... Halt! Not a step further! Don't you know that our Dark Goddess waits down there to be awakened by her true servants?

URDIRIEL: Your sisters didn't talk, they just attacked straight away.

LARYS: They do not speak with Elves. Give me a reason not to call my sisters to slay you!

URDIRIEL: How can you serve a Goddess with a skull for a face?

LARYS: Skull?

URDIRIEL: One of your sisters has already seen the face of your 'Goddess' in her nightmares.

LARYS: Nightmares? I... I don't know what you're talking about. The Goddess is both mother and savior to us.

CANO: [Human Nature] You have nightmares, don't you?

LARYS: I... yes. Her face was dreadful...

URDIRIEL: Why did you betray your true goddess?

LARYS: The Sword Goddess had never stood with me. Why shouldn't I betray her?

URDIRIEL: You betrayed your goddess because she never helped you?

LARYS: I merely followed my sisters into the cult... they said it was the right thing to do.

CANO: [Human Nature] You are lying.

LARYS: You trust your intuition enough to damn my soul?

URDIRIEL: You are lying... but I will help you so that you have a choice.

LARYS: Then... then maybe there is a way. A Priestess of Rondra met her death within these walls... her soul still wanders here. My sisters have tried to banish it, but they cannot approach the holy aura of her soul.

LARYS: If you help her to find Rondra, maybe she would absolve my soul... would you do that?

URDIRIEL: Of course... anything for the Gods.

Not far from Larys we find the room with the soul of the slain Rondra priestess.

drakensang2011022016093.png

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: Ah! Righteous warriors, here in this terrible place.

URDIRIEL: Who are you?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: In life, I was Leondril Liontongue of Thunderbrook... I served Lady Rondra. And who are you?

URDIRIEL: My name is Urdiriel Teardream.

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: Be warned then, Urdiriel Teardream! A servant of Boron's adversary is at work here.

URDIRIEL: A Dark Covenanter? What is his name?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: He calls himself Thargazz. He's a short man with hair like white straw... you must have encountered him, as he has made his lair here in these ruins. Although, I haven't seen him for some time.

URDIRIEL: Hmm, I have never met him.

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: Thargazz is a follower of the dark Borbarad, whom he served faithfully during the Mage Wars... he is extremely powerful and unscrupulous.

URDIRIEL: Borbarad? Is that not the enemy of Rohal the Wise? And weren't the Mage Wars over five hundred years ago?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: Five hundred years? Can it really be so long? By Rondra! Is the Dark Covenanter really still alive? If he is dead, nobody will be able to free my soul!

URDIRIEL: He bound your soul to here?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: My soul is trapped here, damned to an eternity wandering this unholy place.

URDIRIEL: How terrible! Can your soul be freed?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: He took my bones, my holy sword and my Rondra amulet and buried them so they would never be found again.

URDIRIEL: Did he saw where he buried them?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: No, he wasn't that stupid, unfortunately. He just laughed scornfully and said they were buried in four different places.

URDIRIEL: So I must find your bones. Will that release you?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: Almost. If you find my bones, the sword and the amulet and place them in this sarcophagus next to me in Rondra's name, then my soul will be free to find Boron's Halls. Dare you help me?

URDIRIEL: I will help you, Human.

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: I thank you in the name of the Goddess! But you should not delay any further... something has been pulling at my soul ever since I have been here. I cannot fight it much longer.

URDIRIEL: Something wishes to consume your soul?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: The call of the Dark Goddess is strong... I feel it in every fiber of my immortal soul. She wants to drag me down to the Lower Hells... but I still resist.

URDIRIEL: Call? What call?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: Something dwells within these walls... it must be a manifestation of an arch-demoness. It calls for my soul... I fight it, but I don't have much more strength. Soon it will consume me.

URDIRIEL: How soon?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: I will hold out for as long as I can... but my strength will eventually fail me.

URDIRIEL: What can we do about it?

LEONDRIL LIONTONGUE: The manifestation must dwell somewhere within these vaults, that is the center of her power. Destroy it and the unholy call will fall silent. But be careful... she will guard it well.

URDIRIEL: I think I know what to do.

At this point, we already dug up the Priestess' bones and amulet and only need to find one more stone head.

Past the room with the priestess, we find another puzzle room.

drakensang2011022016132.png

After solving an equilibrium puzzle, the second turnkey is ours.

drakensang2011022016310.png

In another part of the ruins we find the final puzzle room. This puzzle consists of safely guiding a skeleton past some traps by mirroring its movements.

This room also contains the last stone head and the sword. Now, the Priestess' soul can be freed.

drakensang2011022016292.png

The party returns to the Priestess, at which point Larys will show up and reveal what was already obvious.

drakensang2011022016523.png

LARYS: You return! Did you find the bones of the Priestess?

URDIRIEL: I did. They lay beneath the stone heads.

LARYS: Then the time has come to tell you the truth... I tricked you! I was just using you to get to the priestesses' bones. Thanks to you we can now sacrifice her soul to the Dark Goddess!

URDIRIEL: I suspected as much... but it was worth the risk to save your soul song.

LARYS: Sisters! Kill her!

Needless to say, the party smacks them and can now save the Priestess.

drakensang2011022016574.png

As a reward, we get to keep the Priestess' sword and amulet.

With all turnkeys in hand, the party heads back to the big door. Now, however, the leader of the Dark Amazons will show.

drakensang2011022016455.png

drakensang2011022016461.png

DARK AMAZON LEADER: Halt! You there! What are you doing here? The Dark Goddess calls only woman warriors!

URDIRIEL: Dark Goddess? I am here for another reason.

DARK AMAZON LEADER: Do not waste our time! Or do you wish to feel my anger? Explain yourself!

URDIRIEL: A man I met at the ruins made me take part in his experiment.

DARK AMAZON LEADER: You can trust a man no more than you can trust a snake. And I trust you even less. Sisters, attack!

There is just no reasoning with these misandrists and they need to be slain. This ends the threat of the Dark Amazons.

Urdiriel now uses the turnkeys to open the door to the lower levels. The party can finally move on.

drakensang2011022017004.png

The party quickly comes upon the source of evil that is burdening the Elves: two giant statues of the arch-demoness Thargunitoth. The party's task is to destroy them both while skeletons spawn endlessly.

drakensang2011022122541.png

drakensang2011022122580.png

drakensang2011022123045.png

After destroying the statues, Archon Megalon shows his face again.

drakensang2011022123052.png

ARCHON MEGALON: Very impressive, how these demonic manifestations stimulate fear reception, don't you think? They affected nearly every sentient being in the region.

URDIRIEL: Did you tell the Dark Amazons they would find their Dark Goddess here?

ARCHON MEGALON: These supposedly fearless ladies were merely victims of their own greed and delusions. My contribution was meager.

URDIRIEL: These deceived woman warriors murdered the Elf guards in cold blood... now they are dead as well.

ARCHON MEGALON: After the failure of test group one, I shall follow your own confrontation with the demon with interest. And of course, the decision you make with the seal stones.

URDIRIEL: You can follow me all you want, so long as you don't keep me from the remedy my friend needs.

ARCHON MEGALON: I'll even help you in the right direction: the remedy you seek was hidden by its previous owner in a rather inaccessible location. It is in the Hall of Invocation under the summoning circle... but you must activate the pentagram to get to the theriac. This in turn, will summon the demon.

URDIRIEL: I will vanquish the beast. Now keep me here no longer.

The next area consists of two large halls with various siderooms, all crawling with gargoyles, giant spiders, crypt lice and other vermin. Our task is to find the five McGuffins for Archon Megalon: the Seal of Power, Magic, Presence, Curses and Defense. They are hidden in the siderooms.

drakensang2011022123075.png

drakensang2011022123342.png

After obtaining the five seals, the party heads to the Hall of Invocation. It is time to face the demon.

drakensang2011022123500.png

In the Hall of Invocation, our party must now decide which of the seal stones to use, if any. The more seal stones used, the easier the demon will be defeated but the lesser the reward will be.

Without any seal stones used, the demon has following powers:

- health regeneration

- aura that drains magic

- aura that damages the party's attack values

- aura that damages the party's endurance and HP values

- high armour rating

Using no seal stones at all requires a lot of resources that the party at this point does not have: Urdiriel only has 20 incendiary arrows and 60 poison arrows at this point, not to mention the party lacks any magic potions.

Thus, Urdiriel decides to apply the Seal of Power, removing the demon's regeneration, and the Seal of Presence, so that the party's attack values will remain intact.

drakensang2011022200161.png

drakensang2011022200261.png

Aligning the pentagram correctly and the demon appears.

drakensang2011022200174.png

drakensang2011022200175.png

drakensang2011022200543.png

drakensang2011022201021.png

With two seals used, the fight is still rather long. Biggest contributors to doing damage here are Cano with his star throwing and Urdiriel with her Marksman skill, as both ignore armour. Forgrimm is merely there to keep the demon distracted, while Jaakon is completely useless due to the demon's mana drain.

Eventually, the demon goes down and the party obtains the theriac.

drakensang2011022200421.png

Heading down, Archon Megalon is of course back for another condescending lecture.

drakensang2011022200440.png

ARCHON MEGALON: *claps* Observation object "test group two" completes the experiment alive.

URDIRIEL: I suppose there is no need to tell you that I defeated the demon.

ARCHON MEGALON: A correct inference. But indulge me with the details: how many seal stones have you brought me?

URDIRIEL: Three.

ARCHON MEGALON: You kept more than you used... your greed obviously triumphed over your fear. Interesting...

URDIRIEL: It was the only sensible decision.

ARCHON MEGALON: I'll give you a piece of old druid wisdom in gratitude for participating in my experiment: "Stay one step ahead of time, or it will catch up to you".

Archon Megalon's reward for three seals is a recipe for "demonic armour" and a fair amount of ducats.

The party then leaves the ruins and delivers the theriac medicine to Alari Springborn. Finally, Ardo can be healed.

drakensang2011022200460.png

drakensang2011022200461.png

NEXT UPDATE: Ardo reveals all.

At long last, by the prowess of our party and Alari's healing skills, Ardo is revived.

drakensang2011022200463.png

drakensang2011022200464.png

ARDO: Where am I? What happened? Why...?

FORGRIMM: Kangrosha, finally. You're awake! You've been healed by Elven sorcery.

ARDO: Aah, I feel strong enough to tear down a tree!

CANO: You'd better not. Shorty here has tested the Elves' patience enough as it is. If it weren't for me...

FORGRIMM: Dosh rogelo! Blabbermouth!

drakensang2011022200470.png

FORGRIMM: You'd be far worse off, if it weren't for the heroics of this brave soul, my friend.

ARDO: If that's the case, then I owe you my gratitude and recognition. It is time to speak openly.

FORGRIMM: Well, his real name is Ardo of Boarstock and his family guards the Imperial Insignia. Hmm, yes...

CANO: And then along came Mora and stole it, the most important of all...

drakensang2011022200472.png

ARDO: The Crown of Raul!

ARDO: Now you know our true quest... the thousand-year-old crown of the Middenrealm was stolen from me. And we need your help to find it.

URDIRIEL: I don't see the problem. There it is. Everything's alright!

FORGRIMM: Nothing is alright, woman!

CANO: Appearances are deceptive... it was to me that Phex whispered the truth. This crown is... a glorious fake.

URDIRIEL: A fake! That's how you knew Mora beat you to it!

ARDO: It seems I have missed rather a lot.

FORGRIMM: Ardo, you need to know something... that scoundrel with the magic dagger... it was he who got Mora and Cano to steal the crown.

ARDO: She didn't act alone? If she was working for somebody else, that means...

JAAKON: Mora is part of a bigger plan... probably aimed at destroying the authority of His Magnificence, Emperor Hal. The consequences of such an undertaking would be...

URDIRIEL: ... catastrophic! All of the Middenrealm could descend into chaos!

ARDO: Now you know what's at stake... will you join us in our quest?

URDIRIEL: You can count on my help, my friends.

ARDO: Your answer does you honor. I was right about you.

CANO: Excellent, then let us find Mora! ... and the crown, of course. Now that we know where the pirates are hiding...

drakensang2011022319410.png

From now on, Ardo becomes a party member. However, before moving on we'll talk to him some more.

drakensang2011022319371.png

URDIRIEL: How do you assess the situation?

ARDO: The situation is extremely critical. If the crown falls into the wrong hands, then the Emperor can be discredited. That's why it's so important that we find out where Mora disappeared to with the crown.

URDIRIEL: Tell me something about the crown.

ARDO: It is said that after Bosparan fell, a griffin crowned Raul the Great with twelve golden feathers, which were transformed into a crown overnight. He had large gemstones set into it, to symbolize the Empire's provinces.

ARDO: The genuine Raul's Crown has the power to sow courage, recognize duplicity and to give the ruler insight into the concerns of the people. But that only happens if it is worn by the rightful Emperor... otherwise it will call down the wrath of the gods!

ARDO: About sixty divine cycles ago, Emperor Bardo had a copy of the crown made for his twin sister Cella, in order to rule jointly with her. After Reto of Gareth seized power, the object ended up in the secret chambers... or so we thought.

URDIRIEL: Tell me something about yourself, Ardo.

ARDO: I was born 34 divine cycles ago as the son of Hl

Returning to Nadoret, Urdiriel decides to fight in the Arena for some (relatively) easy money and experience.

drakensang2011022320580.png

Each round, a certain investment of ducats is needed to enter the ring, but winning the fight earns back double the investment.

First opponent: a peasant called Stonenoggin Barakor. Very easy.

drakensang2011022320583.png

Second opponent: Connar Babek, an unarmored fighter with a trident. Easy.

drakensang2011022320594.png

Third opponent: Ifirnia the Amazon. Moderately easy.

drakensang2011022321023.png

Fourth opponent: Tragash, a Dwarf with a big hammer. First difficult opponent since he can perform Hammer Strike, a combat skill that inflicts three times the base weapon damage and knocks the enemy down.

drakensang2011022321045.png

However, being an Elf Urdiriel has access to the spell Ice-Cold Warrior, which allows her to ignore all damage for 60 seconds (only to suffer all damage afterwards in one go). This is makes it very easy to get through the final three opponents.

drakensang2011022321011.png

Fifth opponent: Thurazz the Ork. Pretty tough fight since he has access to a variety of combat skills.

drakensang2011022321071.png

After beating the five regular opponents, Arena Master Wulfgrim himself will enter the Ring. Normally a very difficult opponent, the Ice-Cold Warrior spell combined with Lightning makes it a walk-over.

drakensang2011022321150.png

Mission accomplished. Becoming Arena champion nets Urdiriel about 50 ducats.

After leaving the Arena and walking around the city, a citizen calls out to the party. Urdiriel decides to check it out.

drakensang2011022321174.png

drakensang2011022321180.png

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: Thanks be to the Twelfgods! Finally someone who looks strong and able! I... we, oh, what am I saying: All of Nadoret is in danger! I need someone to take care of these filthy creatures right away!

CANO: [Human Nature] You're hiding something, otherwise you would have called the Town Guard to help you.

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: What? I... but you've got it all wrong! I was trying to convince the guards of the looming danger, but they only mocked me. If something isn't done soon, then it will be too late!

CANO: [Fast Talk] Perhaps we shouldn't get involved here. That all sounds quite suspicious...

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: [success] No, wait! I'll admit it: these Wolf Rats... didn't show up by chance. They... I... well I... bred them.

URDIRIEL: What? Breeding them? You can't be serious!

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: I beg you, no one must find out about this! The disgrace would be unbearable! I'm just a poor wretch and got the idea because rat tails are worth decent gold due to their value as a cooking ingredient.

URDIRIEL: Giant Wolf Rats... Hmm. I'll see what I can do.

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: I'll never forget this favor! But you should know that these specimens are unbelievably large and strong, because they've... well... eaten something magical... A young breeding female rat has already escaped. It's unthinkable what would happen if the dominant male rat got out as well. He is incredibly wild and strong, a terrible beast!

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: I had already hired some mercenaries, but they were unsuccesful! I gave them the last money I had. They still have it on them, along with their armor, so that will be your reward.

TOWNSMAN KOSTAN: But be warned. I can't take any risks, that's why I'm going to lock the door behind you and only open it when the dominant male rat has been killed!

Note: the female rat that Kostan speaks of appears in Drakensang 1. Anyway, it is time for some rat slaying.

drakensang2011022321200.png

That's a big rat...

The boss rat isn't as hard as the one in Drakensang 1, but the fight can become tricky since it will call forth an infinite number of increasingly tougher smaller rats, and after a number of these are killed the big rat will go berserk, increasing its damage and making it much more dangerous. Once the rat reaches 10 levels of berserk, it can even one-shot party members. Therefore, it needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible.

drakensang2011022321234.png

drakensang2011022321270.png

It doesn't take too long for the big rat to be defeated.

drakensang2011022321292.png

Now, remembering what was written in Hubert van Haring's book, the party heads to the marketplace. Behind the Praios Temple is Crooked Otto, a vendor that sells all kinds of weird junk (including amoeba spores, which will be important later in the game).

drakensang2011022321400.png

With a high enough level in Animal Lore, Crooked Otto will open his special inventory and the party can buy Candied Kosh Bunting Tongues, which according to Van Haring's book is very effective in persuading Trolls...

The party heads to the Troll Bridge outside Nadoret and meets up with the three Trolls Krolwum, Brulbu and Mombo.

drakensang2011022321425.png

drakensang2011022321430.png

KROLWUM: You there... stop!

MOMBO: Correct. Road end here.

URDIRIEL: But the road continues behind your tree...

KROLWUM: Yeah. Uhh... hmm... Road go on, yes... but... uhh...

BRULBU: ... road only for Troll! Is Troll road!

MOMBO: Right! And you midget man, and midget man not Troll. So go you elsewhere.

URDIRIEL: I may not be a Troll, but a magician is expecting me. I'm sure you know who I mean.

KROLWUM: 'Course we know! Glitterman good friend. And he sure not say we let other midget man through. So you no go through!

URDIRIEL: Your loyalty is very commendable. He must be a really nice magician if he's your friend.

KROLWUM: Yes, he be. He give us always reward. Ku... emm... Ka... uh... Tongues! Sweet tongues! Maybe you bring sweet tongues, show us your friend of Little Spellcaster.

URDIRIEL: "Sweet tongues"? You don't mean candied Kosh bunting tongues, do you?

KROLWUM: Yaa, right name. Sweet, good!

FORGRIMM: Kosh bunting tongues? Are a few screws perhaps loose in your head? They don't only taste fantastic, they're also darn expensive! I'd rather eat them myself than give them to Trolls!

KROLWUM: Hairy midget man complain all he want, it no matter... want to past us go, bring you sweet tongues. Mmmm, tastem sooo much goood!

After handing over the tongues, the Trolls clear the road.

drakensang2011022321435.png

Past the Trolls, the party eventually reaches the small island that was mentioned in Van Haring's book. There's still a boat around to travel there.

drakensang2011022321513.png

Edited by virumor

On the island, the party comes upon a strange magical structure.

drakensang2011022321514.png

A disembodied voice greets the party...

VOICE: Please... don't hurt me... no more anguish! I implore you!

URDIRIEL: What... is someone talking to me? Where are you?

The voice belongs to the blue creature that Van Haring's book spoke of. How long has it been trapped on the island?

drakensang2011022321515.png

WATER NYMPH: Forgive me, but I can't communicate with you in any other way...

URDIRIEL: I cannot hear you, but I can sense your voice inside my head... don't be afraid of me.

WATER NYMPH: I understand your thoughts. But the language of you landfolk is foreign to me. I was afraid that he had come back at first... he lived on land like you. He made me suffer a great deal. But he suffered, too. He hasn't come to this place for a long time.

WATER NYMPH: The one who lives on land, who I told you about... he shackled me to this place. Do you see these rocks here? He placed a mighty spell on them, so that I'm unable to leave this island...

URDIRIEL: I've never seen a creature like yourself before. Do you really live under the water?

drakensang2011022321530.png

WATER NYMPH: Yes, the rivers and depths of the ocean are home to us. Yet at times we go on land, where we meet some of your kind. That frequently brings us children of the water a great deal of pain...

WATER NYMPH: One of your kind saw me on the shore one night and came over to me. He said that I belonged to him now and bound me to this spot... but I can't survive here. I long to return to my people.

URDIRIEL: How can I set you free?

WATER NYMPH: Perhaps there is a way... but to help me you must understand the herbs of the forest. The one who lives on land used them to work the spell. My senses were numb when he brought me here, I couldn't see everything he did exactly. But he placed herbs in the bowl on these stones. A different one in each.

URDIRIEL: Please continue.

WATER NYMPH: Then he turned the stones in a certain way and then suddenly there was light in this place that began flashing in a myriad of colors. It was like looking at the sun through a waterfall. Shortly after that it seemed as if my legs were turning into frozen water. Then I lost consciousness. Ever since then every time I distance myself more than a few steps from the island, my body stiffens, as if it is turning to ice and I lose my senses.

WATER NYMPH: I've been trying to escape from this spell for many moon cycles. But it's hopeless. The herbs that grow on this island aren't the right ones to help me escape.

URDIRIEL: Do you know anything else about these strange stones?

WATER NYMPH: They can be turned, but I can't interpret the symbols on them. However, I do know that the right herbs are needed to work the magic. I beg you, help me! If you find the right herbs and turn the stones in the right away, then I'll surely be set free.

URDIRIEL: Fear not. I will do what I can to help you.

WATER NYMPH: You would be guaranteed my gratitude for all time. I can't bear this place any longer... I've been separated from my people for such a long time.

drakensang2011022321542.png

Our first task in order to free the nymph is to align the symbols on the obelisks with the ones on the rotating disk.

drakensang2011022322013.png

The hints that the nymph gave, combined with Urdiriel's Survival skill, reveal that the only plants that do not grow on the island are: Festering toadstool, Firemoss, Whirlweed and Oneberry. Putting these plants in the correct bowl will free the nymph.

Some knowledge of TDE lore is helpful here, since the symbols correspond to 4 of the 6 elements used in TDE, namely Water, Fire, Humus and Air... meaning that Whirlweed corresponds to Fire, Oneberry to Water, Toadstool to Air and Firemoss to Humus.

However, since putting the right plant in the right bowl will cause one of the central colors in the rotating disk to disappear, trial-and-error works just as well.

drakensang2011022322015.png

Solving the puzzle causes a spray of colors, and the water nymph is finally free.

As a reward, Urdiriel receives a mind-melt.

WATER NYMPH: The chill in my limbs... it has disappeared... did it! I'm free!

WATER NYMPH: I'm so happy! I can finally go back to the waters of my homeland! Back home to my own people! Thank you!

WATER NYMPH: I don't have anything precious that I can give you for it... but perhaps I can give you a gift that you will think is much more valuable. Open your mind to me...

drakensang2011022322020.png

URDIRIEL: That... that's quite overwhelming! Thank you. Good luck on your homeward journey.

The party is now ready to travel again. At this point, the defeated adversaries from the Arena will appear on the docks.

drakensang2011022322460.png

Now we get a nice reference to Blade of Destiny (River of Time takes place in 1009 BF, 1 year before the events of Realms of Arkania).

drakensang2011022322461.png

IFIRNIA THE AMAZON: Good to see you!

URDIRIEL: What are you doing here at the harbor?

IFIRNIA THE AMAZON: We have decided to follow the call of Tronde Torbenson the Hetman and move to Thorwal.

IFIRNIA THE AMAZON: Rumor has it that he is looking for heroes to search for a lost sword in the wilderness of Orkland.

URDIRIEL: And now you're waiting for a boat?

IFIRNIA THE AMAZON: We even had a boat which would have taken us to Havena at the end of the Great River... but Tragash is mulish when it comes to travel by water.

TRAGASH: The boat was old, and its wood was rotten. That wreck's probably already sunk, believe you me!

CONNAR BABEK: Coward!

TRAGASH: Shut your mouth!

THURAZZ: Tragash-Scared-of-the-Water! Ha ha! Your new name! Heh heh....

TRAGASH: You'll land in the water yourself if you don't...

IFIRNIA THE AMAZON: Quiet! All three of you! You're behaving like children!

TRAGASH: But I'm not scared! And I'll prove it too... I'll board the next boat that's going to Havena... so there!

IFIRNIA THE AMAZON: Hmm, this will certainly be an unforgettable adventure... I hope we meet again some day!

URDIRIEL: I hope so, too. Have a good journey!

NEXT: return to Hunting Preserve/Tollgate

Back at the Hunting Preserve, Enno of Vardock will now offer a quest to do some Spring cleaning and rid the place of marauding Orks.

drakensang2011022521474.png

The Orks are located in the western part of the preserve and are not too difficult to deal with. However, there are also Ogres among them. Ogres hit very hard and have a large amount of HP. They can however be efficiently beaten by using melee debuffs followed by applying wounding attacks.

drakensang2011022521344.png

On the stone bridge, there are two Ogres to fight.

drakensang2011022521431.png

drakensang2011022521454.png

The party finds the way beyond the bridge blocked by a tree. Enno of Vardock's servants will remove it, but this will take a while... the party will return later to finish the job.

Back at the Elven woods, Urdiriel hands over the Elven arrow she crafted to Linwen Owlwing. He now has two more tasks before he will help making the ultimate weapon.

drakensang2011022521532.png

LINWEN OWLWING: You have now discovered that there is more to weaponforming than the right grip techniques. It is important to start with a clear idea of what you want to create.

URDIRIEL: Yes... it is as if the arrow was already in the branch from which you formed it.

LINWEN OWLWING: Three Elves must combine their magic to form the weapon with you. Speak with Calenleya Arrowsong and Ilcoron Sparkweaver and ask them if they wish to help.

Calenleya Arrowsong tasks the party with some typical Elven hippie stuff, i.e. walking around the woods and listening to the melody of it. Upon returning to her, she will ask how many deer live in the forest.

drakensang2011022521541.png

Ilcoron Sparkweaver asks to craft a pommel for him.

drakensang2011022522002.png

After performing these two minor tasks, Linwen Owlwing, Calenleya Arrowsong and Ilcoron Sparkweaver will gather with Urdiriel and sing the perfect weapon into existence.

drakensang2011022522011.png

LINWEN OWLWING: Magic and song will help to define the form. To work in harmony with us, you must open your senses by singing with us.

LINWEN OWLWING: I call on you all! Unite and channel your powers into this weapon. Diun i'dao sala mandra!

CALENLEYA ARROWSONG: The bond is complete... Fey'y sanya sala ia'dhamandra-mha aya tharmandra!

URDIRIEL: Fey'y sanya sala ia'dhamandra-mha aya tharmandra!

ILCORON SPARKWEAVER: Ia sala biuanda sany'ray! E

Back at the Tollgate, a mage will now appear near the docks. It is Rakorium Muntagonis, the brilliant (but absent-minded) Dean of the Quicksilver Hall in Festum. Another legendary figure in the Dark Eye setting who is also a fairly important NPC in Drakensang 1.

drakensang2011022522190.png

drakensang2011022522182.png

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Oh, err... Nottel, finally! Oh, forgive me... I thought you were my apprentice... oh dear, oh dear...

URDIRIEL: Is there a problem? Can I help?

RIVER GUARDSMAN: This man just appeared on the dock with a pile of crates. He says he's the Dean of a magic academy, so we're trying to be as respectful as possible...

RIVER GUARDSMAN: ...but whenever we ask him something he just starts talking about someone called Nottel! I don't think he even exists!

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Oh, that's an interesting theory, my young friend! Are you also familiar with Galotta's commentary on Philosophica Magica, according to which we are all just imaginary figments dreamt up by alien beings?

JAAKON: [Arcane Lore] You are clearly alluding to the fact that some scholars doubt the actual existence of our Third Sphere.

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Quite right. In his treatise, Galotta also says that Ethra and the Cosmos actually only exist as ideas and can therefore be changed at any time. Worrying, don't you think? At that time, the colleague believed it was the Gods who dreamed our world. But really, there's no reason why it couldn't be me, for example. An interesting concept, I think.

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Do you mind if I ask your name, incidentally? One wants to know... one whom has imagined... eh? Haha...

URDIRIEL: My name is Urdiriel Teardream. Can I help you in some way?

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Hmm, maybe you could look for Nottel for me, yes? Please tell him that I need him here urgently. He's probably forgotten the time again, absent-minded boy that he is.

URDIRIEL: Where could Nottel be?

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Well, I did tell him about those old witch stones up there... Very powerful... Good for sphere travel and blood magic... hmm...

RIVER GUARDSMAN: You mean that stone circle to the northeast? I've been there... it's an eerie place...

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Yes, haha... it's the kind of thing that interests young people... no wonder Nottel has been away so long...

The party heads to the stone circle and finds Nottel rooted in the middle of it.

drakensang2011022522231.png

NOVICE NOTTEL: Praise be to the Mother of Wisdom! I wasn't even sure he would notice I was gone. Could you help me? Otherwise I'll be standing here all night.

URDIRIEL: Are you Nottel?

NOVICE NOTTEL: Oh, you've already spoken with Master Rakorium? Yes, I'm his apprentice. I'm actually called Ungfred, not Nottel... the Master just seems to find it easier to call me that, I guess.

URDIRIEL: What? Your master can't even get your name right?

NOVICE NOTTEL: Well... Nottel was the name of Master Rakorium's first apprentice. And to make things easier, that's just what he calls all his apprentices now... he's a little... ahem... His duties as Dean mean he's a very busy man.

URDIRIEL: What happened?

NOVICE NOTTEL: I wanted to take a look at this stone circle. The Compendium of Miraculous Stones describes it as an unusual specimen. It resembles the work of Dwarven Geodes, but it's much older. I noticed some strange magical traps on the way here... obviously some type of contained Transversalis. The stone circle itself seems to have a powerful magical aura. Very strange.

NOVICE NOTTEL: I cast an Analytica spell on the stones and it must have caused some kind of feedback. Now the arcane currents have me trapped here. Err, are you still listening?

URDIRIEL: How can I help you?

NOVICE NOTTEL: There's some kind of magical matrix between these stones that won't let me leave. You have to find a way to interrupt the flow of magical energy. I think the source of the energy is somewhere below the stone circle... I saw a cave on the way here. Maybe you'll find something there.

NOVICE NOTTEL: Unfortunately the entrance looked like it was blocked... but I'm sure Master Rakorium can help you with that. He's an expert in Transformation magic. Please, go and ask him to help you... then go to the cave and look for the source of the magic and try to cut it off.

drakensang2011022522263.png

Rakorium grants the party with a magical pick-axe that is used to clear the entrance to the cave that Nottel spoke of.

Inside the cave, soon an unknown magician appears out of nowhere and addresses the party.

drakensang2011022522282.png

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: What? Who are you? What are you doing down here? Did he send you?

URDIRIEL: I'm looking for the source of some magical energies.

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: Magical energies? Do you mean our ritual? It was interrupted! Weeks of preparation and then somebody up there fools with the stones! I'm sure he had a hand in this!

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: He's been trying to thwart me ever since the ritual was interrupted! He's using every means possible to stop me from completing it! He's constantly hiding the components! Don't believe his lies! It's obvious he is not to be trusted! You should help me find the ingredients!

URDIRIEL: Who is he?

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: He was once my companion, but now he shows his true face. He is evil and unscrupulous to the core... he wants nothing more than destroy me. He must not achieve his goal!

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: I am Marawamir ay Elburum, mage and researcher of arcane secrets. The ritual I began must be ended! He must not succeed!

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: No time! I must continue! Bring the ingredients to me when you have them! I shall wait for you in the cave beneath the stone circle! And be careful... I'm sure he's laid traps.

Soon after Marawamir teleports away, "he" appears... and is apparently Marawamir's undead version.

drakensang2011022522312.png

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: Halt! I know that you're helping that weakling by looking for the components for the ritual! Forget that pathetic worm! From now on, you shall obey my will!

URDIRIEL: Why should I obey you? You don't look particularly trustworthy.

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: If you serve me, I shall richly reward you. I have the power to grant you any wishes... oppose me and I shall destroy you! Collect the components from the surrounding rooms and bring them to the center of the place of ritual. I shall wait for you there.

After going through the entire cave complex, the party gathers the five ingredients, which turn out to be five rare plant components. Taking the ingredients to the ritual place, the two mages will start battling and Urdiriel must make a decision which of the two mages to help... by either completing or reversing the ritual.

drakensang2011022522424.png

To complete the ritual, the ingredients must be placed in the correct order in each of the bowls. The correct order is revealed by solving a small puzzle.

The only way to release Nottel is to reverse the ritual. When the skeleton mage then attempts to complete the ritual, he disappears.

drakensang2011022522430.png

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: Thanks be to Hesinde, he is gone! Some things shouldn't be shared. As old Rohal said: "When you stare deep into your soul, eventually it stares back."

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: Very clever of you to arrange the components in the opposite sequence... that reversed the ritual. The stones above ground are no longer charged with magical energy, if you're interested.

MARAWAMIR AY ELBURUM: Well, err... I think I'll dedicate my time to different research in the future... Maybe I'll go back to dissecting small animals, or big ones... err, farewell! Transversalis Teleport!

drakensang2011022522454.png

Heading back to the docks, Nottel and Master Rakorium are reunited.

NOVICE NOTTEL: Hello! Thank you for saving me. When I felt the magical powers abating, I went straight back to Master Rakorium. Now I need to deal with the tollkeepers... the two guards look shaken up. Speak to my master again, he's sure to reward you... if he recognizes you.

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Aha, you're back again! And there's.. err... ah, Nottel...

URDIRIEL: Yes, I managed to free him.

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Oh, thank Hesinde! I thought I'd have to get another one... hmm, yes.

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Well, shall we be on our way? This time we should make it to Havena... I hope Prince Bennain won't be too annoyed by the delay... Get ready then, and...

NOVICE NOTTEL: But Master, what about our research material? Surely we can't just leave it here?

ARCHMAGE RAKORIUM: Oh, ah yes... We should take that with us, shouldn't we? Come along then, Nottel. Transversalis...

Master Rakorium teleports away and now the party can finally move on to the pirate hideout, Hammerberg.

drakensang2011022522473.png

drakensang2011022522481.png

Hammerberg turns out to be a cold, snowy place at the foot of the Anvil Mountains.

drakensang2011022522481.png

drakensang2011022522482.png

drakensang2011022522483.png

drakensang2011022522484.png

drakensang2011022522494.png

On the docks, a dwarf named Avarosh quickly addresses the party to give the rundown of the place.

drakensang2011022523031.png

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Tell me, who are you? What do you want? Time is gold!

URDIRIEL: We... er... we're just simple traveling merchants... This is... err... Gammlund. What's it to you?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: They call me Goldtooth and I'll tell you what it has to do with me. First, I don't tolerate competition. Second, I take care of my businesses here. And third, I tell my friends when my nose tells me something stinks. Something's not quite right about you and your cronies.

URDIRIEL: You're not different to me. People like us make our own rules, am I right?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: That's an attitude that will gain you both followers and enemies... but the rules here apply to all, understood?

URDIRIEL: What are these rules?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Differences are settled at the dueling ground. Keep your weapons sheathed anywhere else. If somebody tries to take your life, defend yourself. But no vendettas and no complaining. Any questions?

URDIRIEL: I think I can manage that.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Do you like waiting in the reeds?

URDIRIEL: Huh? Do I like what... where? ...Is that some kind of euphemism? Well... err... I'd really just like to know whether you saw a red-haired woman.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: I see... I can't tell you anything about that.

CANO: [Human Nature] You don't know anything? Or are you not allowed to tell us anything?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: [success] Yes, yes, you're right. Hookensang brought a woman with him a while ago... but you'll have to look for the Captain yourself. He hasn't shown his face for a while.

URDIRIEL: It's this woman I'm looking for. Where can I find her?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: I see... You want to talk to Thunderfist! But I'm afraid I must disappoint you... we don't let just anybody do that.

URDIRIEL: What do I have to do?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: You can only meet Thunderfist if you have enough people vouch for you. Not just anybody, of course... people with a certain amount of influences. Like me.

URDIRIEL: I see... and who has influence here?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: The Council members. Apart from me, there's "Irontaste", "Widowfriend", "Hookensang" and "Bardshock"... Hehe, but I doubt you'll be able to get their agreement.

URDIRIEL: I need to know more about the Council members.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Yes, yes, but you won't manage it anyway... hehe... who would you like to know about?

URDIRIEL: What about you, "Goldtooth"?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Aye, Avaroth, son of Gramtax is my name. And my tooth isn't all the gold I have either, hehe. I mine precious metals in the delving and I run all kinds of other lucrative businesses.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Loans, for example, at interest of course. That reminds me... I need someone to call in a few debts for me. It seems to me, you want to get on my good side, don't you?

URDIRIEL: You're right.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Yes, yes. Then make yourself useful! Those who don't make their payments get a visit, understand? Will you take care of it?

URDIRIEL: Who do you want me to visit?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: The first is "Growler" Bodo, a dog breeder. You'll find him near the back harbor. He's stubborn as a mule, that one! Threats of violence don't work on him... and don't call him Growler.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: The second one is Radomir, the "Tavern King". I'll give you three guesses where you can find him. A tricky fellow! Don't let him fool you. And then there's Zira, our tender "Snow White". She hangs around behind the tavern fluttering her eyelashes and waiting for business. Heh, yes, yes!

URDIRIEL: Is that all? As you said earlier, time is gold!

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: And I'm losing gold as we speak! Growler Bodo owes me 12 ducats, Radomir owes me 11 ducats, and Snow White owes me 8 ducats. That's 31 ducats in total. Any questions?

URDIRIEL: Tell me about "Irontaste".

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Phewin Soorman is a dangerous man. Aye! He got into the banditry business early in life. First coaches, then ships... who knows what else! The only thing that's certain is that you won't have much fun speaking with him. He spends a lot of time doing business deals in the tavern.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: First you must speak with his bosun - a stinking Blackfur, hehe. I wonder if you'll survive that? Aye... we shall see!

URDIRIEL: Tell me about "Widowfriend".

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Rumpo Berchbold. A man who made it from common mercenary to captain... how did he do it? Aye, I'd like to know that. He's usually over at the back pier, that show-off. Ask him yourself, hehe.

URDIRIEL: Tell me about "Bardshock".

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Hehe, Jadira Cruento is a Zahori. You know... the traveling people. She took over the booze house after they strung up the old innkeeper here. Now they all dance to her tune down there.

URDIRIEL: Tell me about "Hookensang".

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Ahh, our very own nobility, Timorn of Stoneground. But he'll soon be residing on a stony riverbed if he's not careful, hehe. You can still find him in the tavern.

On their way from the docks, the party bumps into an old friend.

drakensang2011022523060.png

CAPTAIN BURGESS: Hey! You there! You're the one I gave a good beating!

URDIRIEL: I remember. You came up behind me and knocked me down right at the beginning of this adventure!

CAPTAIN BURGESS: I hate you! Everything went wrong in my life after I gave you that beating.

URDIRIEL: Tell me what happened, I'm curious.

CAPTAIN BURGESS: I ran off when your cronies stuck their noses in. In the rush to escape, my ship floundered on one of the greatest rocks. I barely made it back here on the ship's tiny lifeboat. Most of my people went down with the ship. Worst of all, before all this happened I had a chance of getting on the Council! Now that Hookensang sits there instead of me! It's all your fault!

URDIRIEL: At least I don't need your vote.

CAPTAIN BURGESS: I don't care about that. I feel like giving you another bump on the head for everything that's happened because of you and your cronies.

Unfortunately for him, Captain Burgess gets trounced badly and whimpers off. Revenge is sweet.

drakensang2011022523070.png

drakensang2011022523070.png

NEXT: various tasks for the Council.

The party finds "Snow Rose", the first of the three that owe Goldtooth Avarosh money, near the exit gate.

drakensang2011022622031.png

SNOW ROSE: Who are you? Competition or adventurers?

URDIRIEL: Competition? I earn my money in different ways.

SNOW ROSE: Pleased to hear it. In that case, we won't get in each other's way.

URDIRIEL: Avarosh sent me. It's about your debts.

SNOW ROSE: Ohhh, good old Avarosh. But I already told him I don't have his money.

CANO: [seduce] Oh! You disappoint me, good lady. How can a lady of your class be indebted to a ruffian like Avarosh? With your Rahja-given looks, I'm sure you don't need it!

SNOW ROSE: Sweet thing, what pretty words. You certainly know how to talk to a lady like me. Hmm... and those big brown eyes. Here, take the money and come back again soon.

URDIRIEL: Avarosh will be pleased and you'll be left in peace at last.

The next person in debt, Yapper Bodo, is with his dogs behind the tavern.

drakensang2011022622041.png

YAPPER BODO: I suppose you want to buy a dog? Well you can forget that. They're all reserved.

URDIRIEL: You owe money to Avarosh. I am here to collect.

YAPPER BODO: He can wait until I've sold this litter here. Then he can have his ducats. Tell him that!

ARDO: Tell me, are all your dogs pure-bred Grimmtooth Bull Terriers? I've rarely seen such splendid specimens. They respond well to a little praise when they do something right.

YAPPER BODO: What? A true expert! Are you also a breeder? Here, take the money. I won't deny a fellow dog-lover.

URDIRIEL: You have spared me a deal of trouble. Thank you.

YAPPER BODO: I know Avarosh won't leave me in peace until I pay and you seem to be alright, even though you're a stranger here.

Not far from Yapper Bodo on the dock is Captain Rumpo, aka "Widowfriend", who despite his hideous looks is strange alluring to the opposite sex...

drakensang2011022622050.png

drakensang2011022622050.png

CAPTAIN RUMPO: What glorious creature approaches? Your aspect alone entrances me. Pray, let me hear your voice.

URDIRIEL: Err... what? You are ... ? I... errm...

CAPTAIN RUMPO: Such power in your words! How gladly would I pit my strength against yours until we both reclined exhausted.

URDIRIEL: Mind your mouth. I could challenge you in another discipline that might not be so pleasant for you.

CAPTAIN RUMPO: I like strong women. ... Oh, that reminds me of my problem.

URDIRIEL: I knew you had a problem.

CAPTAIN RUMPO: You're just in time to help me out of a difficult situation, should you be so disposed.

JAAKON: [Human Nature] Such educated discourse and unkempt appearance are rare companions. Something's wrong here.

CAPTAIN RUMPO: There is no need to whisper. Speak openly!

URDIRIEL: Well, I could help you, if only you would give me your vote in return. I want to meet with your leader.

CAPTAIN RUMPO: I would be pleased to do so, but first I would ask that you help me.

URDIRIEL: Then pray tell how awkward your predicament is.

CAPTAIN RUMPO: I trust you will handle the following information discreetly. I trust that I will not have to ask Master Farfara here to deal with any problems that might arise from your actions.

URDIRIEL: Of course!

CAPTAIN RUMPO: I recently forgot my snuff box during a secret tryst with the barmaid in her chamber under the tavern. There is now a danger that her sweetheart will find it and make an unfortunate inference to my person.

URDIRIEL: What's the problem with getting back a snuff box?

CAPTAIN RUMPO: Leti's sweetheart is Captain Irontaste. He has been spending a lot of time conducting his business from the tavern recently. I'm sure you appreciate my problem?

URDIRIEL: I'm not stupid. So we have a deal?

CAPTAIN RUMPO: Naturally, I would be most grateful if you could retrieve the snuff box as quickly as possible. I presume... I can trust in the good impression you have made on me!

URDIRIEL: Growler Bodo is right by the back exit. One false move and the dogs will bark down the whole village.

CAPTAIN RUMPO: How could I forget the dog breeder? Forgive me! Well, Alrico tricked him once by telling him he was taking a crate of Stonesoftener to the cellar for Jadira.

URDIRIEL: And was he succesful?

CAPTAIN RUMPO: It's a strong Dwarf schnapps from Angbar. Bodo and Hookensang are the only ones here who drink the stuff - for good reason.

URDIRIEL: Why don't you use that pretext yourself?

CAPTAIN RUMPO: Bodo recently found out that somebody gave his dogs a sleeping potion. I don't want him to suspect me. You're new here, so he won't consider you.

URDIRIEL: Alrigh then, I will try Alrico's trick.

Once inside the tavern tavern basement, it appears the barmaid is still in her room. However, she soon leaves for the bathroom, enabling Urdiriel to sneak into the room and look for Rumpo's snuff box.

drakensang2011022622070.png

drakensang2011022622083.png

drakensang2011022622085.png

Strangely enough, there are two snuff boxes lying around...

Returning the snuff boxes to Rumpo, he will identify the correct one. However, he still has a second task before granting his vote: cheering up his bosun, Alrico Farfara.

drakensang2011022622123.png

ALRICO FARFARA: Who... ah, what a warm sight in this cold wilderness. Allow me to introduce myself. Alrico Farfara, a son of Grangor, the fairest city of Fairfield.

ARDO: Greetings, noble Alrico Farfara. I am Ardo of Boar... err Ardo, a merchant of the Middenrealm.

CANO: My name is Cano ui Benadin of the fairest city in Albernia, the beautiful Havena. I spend so much time surrounded by these ruffians, it's wonderful to meet a nobleman.

JAAKON: Jaakon Zagor, guild mage of Festum.

ALRICO FARFARA: And to whom else do I owe the honor?

URDIRIEL: Err... Urdiriel Teardream is my name.

ALRICO FARFARA: My lady, the pleasure is all mine. And how can Alrico Farfara help you?

URDIRIEL: Your captain is worried about you. He wants me to help you and cheer you up.

ALRICO FARFARA: Oh, I had just forgotten the shame that fills my heart with grief. But you bring me hope, if the captain thinks that you might be able to retrieve the thing most precious to me above all others.

URDIRIEL: What exactly is the problem?

ALRICO FARFARA: It is my rapier, a noble weapon made of the finest steel, fashioned by the best smiths in Grangor. It is a family heirloom that has been with the Farfaras since time immemorial. Stolen by a worthy servant of the notorious Soorman...

CANO: [Human Nature] Hmm, go on, noble Alrico. [i shouldn't let him beguile me. He has a silver tongue.]

ALRICO FARFARA: Well, I have tried everything to retrieve my rapier, but the fellow just won't give it back. Either I must spill blood or live with the eternal humiliation and shame.

URDIRIEL: I could try talking with the thief. Where can I find him?

ALRICO FARFARA: Wonderful! Maybe you will be able to take back what is mine from that blockhead. But you should know he's a mean customer and he has like-minded friends. You'll find him with his cronies at the dueling ground.

drakensang2011022622140.png

At the dueling ground, Alrico's task can be elegantly solved by letting Cano pickpocket the rapier off the thugs' leader.

drakensang2011022622162.png

After Alrico has his rapier back, Rumpo's vote is ours. Four to go.

The party heads into the tavern, The Captain's Wheel, where the pirate leaders Hookensang, Bardshock and Irontaste are.

Since the party had good dealings with Hookensang in the recent past, Urdiriel goes to speak with him first.

drakensang2011022622194.png

HOOKENSANG: By the Twelfgods! Ethra is small indeed! I am most pleased to see a familiar face. What brings you here?

URDIRIEL: I am searching for someone, and therefore need to see Thunderfist. Can I can count on your vote?

HOOKENSANG: You helped me get the Elven puff. Of course I will help you! However, I fear my vote does not count for much around here.

URDIRIEL: Why not? You're a Captain on the council, aren't you?

HOOKENSANG: I urgently need help against a person who is trying to discredit my leadership. Otherwise the crew will refuse to guide my ship to safe harbors.

URDIRIEL: Let me guess... your first mate?

HOOKENSANG: He accuses me of personal profit at the expense of the crew. After meeting with the sponsor of our last mission, the share of the loot to be distributed to the crew went missing.

URDIRIEL: Do you think he's the thief?

HOOKENSANG: Judge for yourself. He's just over there splashing out on expensive liquor. His very presence here is a mockery because every time he toasts me he also spreads his lies.

URDIRIEL: Maybe I should listen to his "lies"... over a few drinks.

HOOKENSANG: I trust in your discretion. Be advised, you will be at a disadvantage when drinking with him. Unless... you buy him something a little stronger. Prem Fire, for example!

URDIRIEL: That's a good tip. I'll deal with him.

HOOKENSANG: I thank you - once again. Your helpful attitude will not go unrewarded.

Urdiriel follows Hookensang's advice and drives the first mate, Matt Bravethorn, drunk. Following the drunken Bravethorn outside leads the party to the graveyard, where Bravethorn hid the pirate loot.

drakensang2011022622222.png

drakensang2011022622225.png

Driving off Bravethorn and returning the loot to Hookensang grants him his vote. Three to go.

Next, Urdiriel returns to the tavern to speak with Innkeeper Jadira, aka "Bardshock"... and find the Tavern King, the third person who owes Goldtooth some ducats.

drakensang2011022622254.png

JADIRA: A new face! Just call me Jadira and feel free to talk to me any time.

URDIRIEL: Your name sounds so exotic. Where are you from, Jadira?

JADIRA: I'm a true Zahori, my people are a traveling people with fire in their blood. This is why I traveled the land when I was young. I stayed nowhere for longer than a month and had many adventures. Sometimes I worked as a camp follower or I sang and I danced.

JADIRA: Then I met Rumpo and followed him here. The old innkeeper had just died so I took over the business. Now they play the music that I want to hear.

URDIRIEL: I'm looking for Radomir, the Tavern King. Is he here?

JADIRA: Radomir? That drunken dog is bound to be here soon. Why not keep me company until then.

URDIRIEL: Jadira, you're on the Captain's Council. I...

JADIRA: ... you need my vote, I presume. You'll get it, but first I want see if you're too fancy for a little job. I can't stand people who can't get stuck in.

JADIRA: Go to the distillery just outside the village and ask the lazy dog there where my delivery is. Get him to hurry up and bring the schnapps right over. Do that and you'll get my vote.

URDIRIEL: A simple errand... I understand.

After speaking with Jadira, the Tavern King will come waltzing in.

drakensang2011022622271.png

drakensang2011022622271.png

RADOMIR: Hmmm... who're you? Tavern King wants to drink!

URDIRIEL: Avarosh wants his money back.

RADOMIR: Avarosh Greedy Pockets? He can wait. Not the only one I owe money. An' now I need a drink.

URDIRIEL: Pay up first before you drink all your money!

RADOMIR: Not a chance. Now leave me in peace.

CANO: [Fast Talk] Avarosh said this is your last chance to pay up. Otherwise, he wants to settle the matter differently.

RADOMIR: [success] Oh, did he! Then I'm lucky you're such a peashful fellow.

URDIRIEL: I'm glad we understand one another.

RADOMIR: Here's the money. Now let me dr...drink in peace. Regards to Avarosh Greedy Pockets.

Now, after getting hold of the 31 ducats of owed debt, the party returns to Avarosh. But of course, the little pest still has another job to do before granting his vote.

drakensang2011022622285.png

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Yes, yes. Here comes my lackey... well? Did you call in all the debts for me?

URDIRIEL: I got your 31 ducats. It was child's play.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Child's play? Yes, yes... well you're not getting my vote for child's play. You knew that, right? Hehehe!

URDIRIEL: Yes. How do you intend to further exploit my predicament?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: I'm told my mine is haunted and work has ground to a halt. Get my Dwarves delving again, yes?

URDIRIEL: You haven't told me where the delving is.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Over the bridge and then right. Not left, got that? I'll put a nice big cross on your map in case that's too much for you to handle. There, hehe.

URDIRIEL: What exactly is haunting the delving?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: If I knew that, I wouldn't have to send anyone, would I? Must I explain everything to you? Go on, time is gold... how many times do I have to I tell you?

URDIRIEL: Alright, I'll help you one last time.

Before heading to the delving, the party leaves through the town gate to fetch the booze for Jadira. They also come upon Soorman's bosun Ork just outside the gate.

drakensang2011022622295.png

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Tarock, stranger! You want leave village?

URDIRIEL: Yes! Are you Soorman's Bosun Ork? I have to come to you first if I want to speak to him? Right?

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Zutar! Great ship Ork of Captain Irontaste! You careful, lots! Say me 'Blackfur' and I make crunch on you!

URDIRIEL: Soorman? I need his vote. Can you help me?

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Goar woahl, you smart! No-one bother captain. Orders!

URDIRIEL: How can I convince you to let me speak with the Captain?

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Har har, you smart enough - you come when work to do. Get Baruckas like little Redpelt here. They gone! Can always get new ones. But I want make crunch, teach others not leave!

URDIRIEL: What? What are you talking about? I don't understand a word.

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Want crunch leader of runaways. Then other Redpelts know... not good run away. Bring me leader! Then you go Irontaste, Kaya!

URDIRIEL: Sounds mean, but I'll do it.

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Katwar! Haha, and you go quick south. Soorman clever. So you better go quick, if you want talk Captain.

JAAKON: If I understood him correctly, he said we should go south. We should hurry before his men beat us to it. What a bizarre way of speaking...

Near the distillery, it soon becomes apparent why Jadira didn't receive her delivery. Trolls again...

drakensang2011022622312.png

DISTILLER: Help me! Please help me!

URDIRIEL: What happened?

DISTILLER: It's terrible! These trolls just turned up... wanted sugar, anything sweet. They smelled the alcohol and tried it. Now they're smashing the place up looking for something sweet to eat. Get rid of the trolls! Otherwise they'll tear my hut apart too.

URDIRIEL: I'll deal with it.

There's a choice between either fighting or outwitting the Trolls.

drakensang2011022622314.png

ERGAMACK: Sweet powder! We want mooore!

CANO: [Fast Talk] You were too greedy! You ate and drank everything too quickly. Now the 'Sweet powder spring' has run out.

ERGAMACK: [success] Oh no! That's bad! No more sweet powder? Never? Baaaad.

URDIRIEL: Never again! Unfortunately!

ERGAMACK: Oh no! Come! We get bee nests now. They grow back.

After driving off the Trolls, the distiller grants the party with what remains of the booze... one bottle of schnapps.

Edited by virumor

On their way back to the tavern, the party goes to look for the runaway Goblins for Soorman's Ork. To the south of the city, they come upon a lone Goblin hiding in the bushes.

drakensang2011022622341.png

drakensang2011022622341.png

YOBBO: Hey! You look Goblins run off?

URDIRIEL: Maybe. Are you one of them?

YOBBO: No, no. But know where runoff Goblins go. I tell and you give reward?

URDIRIEL: Tell me! I'll check. If it's true, you'll get your reward from the Bosun Ork.

YOBBO: Ohoh, Bosun Ork baaaaad! But if he give reward, then I tell you. High behind hill... there shaman and other Goblins. Her fault!

YOBBO: Reshamama is shaman and help run off! She not dumb like other Goblins. I wait here and come with you later for reward.

URDIRIEL: Just up the hill... we'll see.

Following Yobbo's directions, the party soon finds the runaways. Killing them is not necessary, however.

drakensang2011022622344.png

drakensang2011022622344.png

RESHAMAMA: Hello, do you wish us ill? If not, begone!

URDIRIEL: Are you one of the escaped Goblins?

RESHAMAMA: By Weruuul and Kaysetoost! I knew you would come, river man. But we will fight.

URDIRIEL: I'm not one of the pirates from round here. But I'm looking for the ones in charge. Who helped the Goblins escape?

RESHAMAMA: I, Reshamama! Will you kill me now? I won't surrender!

URDIRIEL: I have an idea. I met a Goblin not far from here who told me we would find the escaped Goblins here.

RESHAMAMA: Must be Yobbo. Wretched traitor!

URDIRIEL: Fine, they want a guilty Goblin. We'll give them Yobbo the traitor. What do you think?

RESHAMAMA: Your suggestion is good. I will disappear with my Goblins and you take Yobbo the Traitor to the Ork. I thank you. You are wise... wise like Reshamama. Take my staff in thanks!

URDIRIEL: Thank you, Reshamama! Good luck... and hurry! They're already looking for you.

The party then returns to the bosun Ork and betrays the traitor.

drakensang2011022622371.png

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Ahguoar! Haha, you have mangy Redpelt.

CANO: [Fast Talk] Yes, this is him!

YOBBO: You lieeee! I help Zutar and tell on other Goblins. Pleeeasse no crunch with me. Ohohohoh...

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: [success] Shut up, you fish food now. But I can make very long crunch with you. So be quiet!

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Guoarta! Go to Irontaste, he will hear you now. From now Zutar and Irontaste sometimes maybe like you.

The party returns to the inn to give the bottle of schnapps to Jadira. After obtaining her vote, she also has a new task for the party.

drakensang2011022622381.png

URDIRIEL: Here's the schnapps. Onl one barrel, unfortunately...

JADIRA: What? I expect there's a good reason for this... hmm?

URDIRIEL: A couple of Trolls have wrecked the distillery and drunk the schnaps. I drove them off. The distiller is ok, and I thought I'd bring the rest of the schnaps.

JADIRA: Well done. You're not afraid to act. I like that. You'll get my vote on the Council and plenty of free beer to wash away the smell of troll.

URDIRIEL: Maybe I can help you, since you made it so easy to get your vote.

JADIRA: You are a darling! Maybe you can... I have some business with Rumpo that makes me so sad. *sigh*

URDIRIEL: The Captain? Rumpo Widowfriend?

JADIRA: Don't call him that. He got that name because of his boastful talk. He used to be so different. He was rough and ready, he spoke his mind.

URDIRIEL: Used to? Jadira... you and Rumpo? You were a couple?

JADIRA: Yes. *sigh*... Then he went out raiding and came back a changed man. The old Perchbold had turned into that foppish widow-chaser. I just don't like him any more. I want the old, crude, ugly but honest Rumpo!

URDIRIEL: Do you want me to talk to Rumpo?

JADIRA: Absolutely not! I already spoke with Sanraya the Elf. She's going to brew me a potion. She just needs a lock of hair from Rumpo's head. Maybe you can get it and take it to Sanraya?

URDIRIEL: I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, Urdiriel takes the time to talk to Soorman.

drakensang2011022622390.png

Soorman has a personal grudge against Elves for some reason.

drakensang2011022622390.png

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Bah! Another long-ear? I want nothing to do with you!

URDIRIEL: Zutar said you would listen to me.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Oh really? A pointy-ear wants me to speak for them. Hmhmm.

URDIRIEL: This is an important matter for me. I'm looking for a woman...

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: So you're looking for a woman... and I'm neither a pimp nor a private investigator.

URDIRIEL: What do you mean?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: What do I mean? Hmhmm.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: You may be able to win the other Council members' votes. But you will still need my vote. I'm the most important man here. Now get away from me.

Captain Soorman wants to stress his authority by being the last pirate captain to grant his vote... thus forcing Urdiriel to finish Goldtooth's task at the Dwarven delving first.

Outside, "Snow rose" can reveal why Soorman hates Elves.

drakensang2011022622401.png

SNOW ROSE: I'm not here to have a chat. Although I can see myself enjoying a little Rahja worship with you, honey...

URDIRIEL: Rahja worship? What do you mean? I just want to talk to you.

SNOW ROSE: Well, you can talk all you like... as long as you pay! 2 ducats and I'll tell you some really interesting things about the village.

URDIRIEL: It sounds like someone wants their money back. Alright then, here are your ducats.

SNOW ROSE: Alright then, listen up! It's a secret, but Soorman once tried to rob an Elven coach in Farindel Woods and was held prisoner in Spriteland for ten years. That's why he's so scared of the supernatural.

Keeping in mind Jadira's second task, Urdiriel returns to Captain Rumpo. However, this task can be solved without obtaining a lock of his (greasy) hair.

drakensang2011022622411.png

JAAKON: [Arcane Lore] It's almost as if some enchantment is at work here...

CAPTAIN RUMPO: What do you mean? Surely, you jest. Unless, of course, you mean the ladies. They're all enchanted with me.

JAAKON: [Arcane Lore] This ring, is truly enchanting...

CAPTAIN RUMPO: There's no reason to look so embarrassed. Do not fear, I take no umbrage at your comment.

CANO: [Pick Pockets] You have such strong hands. Please show me... what impressive calluses! [Try to steal Rumpo's ring]

CAPTAIN RUMPO: [success] Yeah, I got a good grip. Wanna feel? Burp! Oops... hehehe!

Stealing Rumpo's ring removes his magical attraction and ends Jadira's task.

Past the drawbridge, on their way to the Dwarven delving, the party meets Sanraya, Alari Springborn's lost sister.

drakensang2011022622444.png

drakensang2011022622461.png

drakensang2011022622461.png

SANRAYA: Hey, you! I don't know you yet!

JAAKON: That is correct. But I would still venture to ask what such a beautif... errm what an Elven woman is doing... oh, I haven't even introduced myself... Jaakon Zagor is my name...

SANRAYA: There's no cause for concern, dear Jaakon. I'm here because it suits me. And you? I have only seen one kind of magician here and she is not known for her openness.

JAAKON: I have nothing to do with that magician. In fact, quite the contrary, I...

URDIRIEL: Ahem!

JAAKON: ... oh... well, perhaps we will have the opportunity to speak later on. We must now continue on our secret quest...

URDIRIEL: Jaakon?

SANRAYA: Do tell. What are you doing here?

URDIRIEL: I would like to ask you something.

SANRAYA: Ask and learn! I also sell herbs and various things I have gathered on my travels.

URDIRIEL: Are you Sanraya of the Storm Sentinel tribe? Alari is worried about her sister.

SANRAYA: Alari Springborn? Ahh, I miss her too. But this life would not be for her and I will not return to the say'dhaba.

URDIRIEL: You are so certain of that, although you only recently left your tribe?

SANRAYA: Elves grow as old as the trees, but for Humans seven years is a long time. There are so many stories in this place! You know, everybody came here to be free.

URDIRIEL: Why did you leave the forests of your home?

SANRAYA: The song of the tribe was filled with disharmony because I wanted to see more... and that is what I have done since I left the tribe. You can understand that yearning, can't you? You too are far from your tribe.

URDIRIEL: Yes, but do you never intend to return? Do you think that your tribe would not take you back?

SANRAYA: I may be closer to badoc, but that is no loss. I gain because I understand so much more! I feel another, more powerful creature within me ever since I lost my iama.

URDIRIEL: You lost your instrument? How?

SANRAYA: On my travels I came upon a wondrous cave. I saw a sparkling in its depths. But as I approached, a scaly creature full of anger and greed arose from the waters!

URDIRIEL: A greedy, scaled creature? Something like a Water Dragon, perhaps...

SANRAYA: Fear possessed me and I fled... I did not notice that I dropped my harp. I tried to make another, but... I can show you where it happened on your map.

Hence, Sanraya put the location of the Water Dragon on our map. She is also a merchant who sells a lot of powerful equipment and alchemical ingredients, including the final ingredient needed to craft the Perfect soul bow.

drakensang2011022622592.png

Just the party approaches the Dwarven delving, a distraught Dwarf comes running out.

drakensang2011022622572.png

drakensang2011022622573.png

MERCHANT UNGRAM: Take care! Do not enter the delving! It could end horribly!

URDIRIEL: Calm down! That's exactly why Avarosh sent me. Tell me what's wrong.

MERCHANT UNGRAM: A crazy Bosnickel has run amok in the delving. Anyone stupid enough not to leave the mine gets turned into stone.

URDIRIEL: What's a Bosnickel?

MERCHANT UNGRAM: You don't know what a Bosnickel is? A nasty Leprechaun with a thing for metal, that's what. It turns things into stone and changes gold into worthless fool's gold.

URDIRIEL: Tell me more about the Bosnickel.

MERCHANT UNGRAM: He turned up in the delving a few days ago. He started with practical jokes, trying to get us to leave. Things got worse and worse until Avarosh ordered us to catch him and silence him.

URDIRIEL: And that didn't work?

MERCHANT UNGRAM: Of course not! The Bosnickel was powerful. Much too powerful. He turned all my friends to stone. He got to me last. Instead of turning me to stone, he just giggled.

URDIRIEL: Why did he spare you?

MERCHANT UNGRAM: He said I was lucky. And then he babbled something like: "Fiddlesticks and poppy****, not again! Only four letters in my name. Can't turn you into stone, I've already made four statues."

URDIRIEL: This story gets stranger and stranger.

MERCHANT UNGRAM: True. Maybe it had something to do with his name. I heard you can drive them off if you learn their name. But that's just a legend.

URDIRIEL: Well, it's better than nothing.

MERCHANT UNGRAM: Finding out his name to drive him out is one thing, but please try to turn my four friends back.

JAAKON: [Arcane Lore] A "Break Enchantment" spell might work.

MERCHANT UNGRAM: Maybe you could ask the elf down at the riverbanks. She lives in a house on stilts and seems to know a little about magic.

URDIRIEL: Do you have any idea why the Bosnickel singled you out?

MERCHANT UNGRAM: Well ... err. No... well, maybe... the delving borders on Norgamashzrom.

URDIRIEL: Norgamaschrum ... zrom? What's that?

MERCHANT UNGRAM: Norgamashzrom. An ancient Dwarven delving, deserted long ago.

CANO: [Human Nature] You're keeping a secret! How am I supposed to help you if you won't help me?

MERCHANT UNGRAM: You're right. Forgive me. It is forbidden to seek Norgamashzrom. King Arombolosh must have a reason for his decree.

URDIRIEL: Wait out here! I'll deal with it.

Inside the delving, it doesn't take long before the Bosnickel shows himself.

drakensang2011022623043.png

Soon, the party finds the first stone Dwarf and the Bosnickel appears again.

drakensang2011022623054.png

BOSNICKEL: Heeheehee, and another player takes the stage. Unwelcome and uninvited.

BOSNICKEL: Heeheehee... I'm the all-singing, all-dancing Bosnickel! Your worst nightmare!

URDIRIEL: Haha, you're not my worst nightmare at all.

BOSNICKEL: I have a warning, heehee.

URDIRIEL: A warning? About what?

BOSNICKEL: A warning of the secrets of the delving. Do you see this next to me? This shapeless pile of rocks? This was once a Dwarf. I turned him into stone! He will delve no more! Heehee, but who are you? And what do you want?

URDIRIEL: Why are you doing all this?

BOSNICKEL: I'm not telling. I warned you, didn't I? Isn't that enough?

URDIRIEL: Avarosh sent me. I'm here to get things running properly again!

BOSNICKEL: Oh, not good. But games are in my nature, so I say: will you play a game with me?

URDIRIEL: What game?

BOSNICKEL: I'm not telling. First you must say yes, heehee.

URDIRIEL: Yes.

BOSNICKEL: Here's the game: Questions and answers, we will play. If you win, you get my name and can command me. The Dwarves I'll turn back too. But you will not win... heeheehee.

URDIRIEL: Good, let us begin.

BOSNICKEL: Tatatada! Let the show begin. Clear the stage for the riddle master!

BOSNICKEL: On myyyy leeeft! One of those pint-sized surly Dwarves. If you guess right, I'll turn him back and he'll whisper one letter of my name to you. Guess wrong and you'll have to do it yourself to get my name.

URDIRIEL: Please get to the point.

BOSNICKEL: Quiet please! I'm about to tell you the rules Listen well!

BOSNICKEL: 1. Only you can answer. 2. You must answer immediately. 3. You can ask one companion only once. 4. You can buy one answer with rat tails. 5. You may lock out two wrong answers once. Understand?

URDIRIEL: Yes.

BOSNICKEL: What is a popular Aventurian woman's name beginning with N.

A) Alrik B) Lena C) Cella D) Niame

URDIRIEL: Niame.

BOSNICKEL: Right! You win. My bearded helper will now give you your reward.

Thus, we get our first letter of the Bosnickel's name.

drakensang2011022623062.png

The other stone Dwarves are located deeper into the Delving.

drakensang2011022623072.png

NEXT UPDATE: getting the final votes.

After locating the second stone dwarf, Urdiriel gives the wrong answer to the Bosnickel's question in order to get teleported and gain access to a hidden treasure chest.

drakensang2011022623082.png

drakensang2011022623083.png

Even after giving the wrong answer, the stone Dwarves can still be easily saved by using the "Break Enchantment" spell. But answering questions correctly gives more experience.

drakensang2011022623095.png

Second letter: "O".

drakensang2011022623095.png

The third Dwarf is near a flooded hallway.

drakensang2011022623113.png

After answering the Bosnickel's question ("What is the longest river in Aventuria?") we get the third letter, "G".

drakensang2011022623115.png

And finally, the fourth Dwarf and the final letter, "O".

drakensang2011022623130.png

drakensang2011022623131.png

Now, the Bosnickel can be banished. The party finds him in the deepest part of the delving.

drakensang2011022623140.png

drakensang2011022623142.png

BOSNICKEL: Who's that crashing about like a heffalump? Now I have to sing my rock to sleep again!

BOSNICKEL: What? Here already?! And crashing around like a heffalump! I didn't expect that. Rules are rules. Now my final question: What's my name?

URDIRIEL: Are you Dave? Or Kevin? No. How about NOGO?

BOSNICKEL: What? How? I don't believe it! You tricked me. Just like my cousin Rumplestiltskin. So be it. My vanquisher, command me!

URDIRIEL: Listen! Leave this delving.

BOSNICKEL: Today is different, this isn't the last you've seen of me... If you're greedy, look in the crate at the back. Be warned! Avarosh is the greediest of them all. He will find only corruption where he seeks.

After all the hard work, the party returns to Avarosh to finally obtain his vote. Now only Soorman's vote is left.

drakensang2011022623164.png

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: That took a cursed long time, by Phex! Did you take care of everything?

URDIRIEL: I met a Leprechaun in your delving, but I managed to drive him away.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Good, good! those Leprechauns are a terrible plague! I'll hire some more Dwarves to make up for the lost time, yes!

URDIRIEL: Do I finally have your vote now?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Yes, yes, if you wish. But now I must take care of the delving.

URDIRIEL: Could there be a reason for the Leprechaun's actions?

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Errm... sure. The reason is... Leprechauns are malicious, snot-nosed little pests who just like to cause trouble.

URDIRIEL: You shouldn't be digging in that delving, Avarosh.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Bah! Old ghost stories! Just as stupid as all that talk about the River Father. The only thing I believe in is hard, shiny, jingling cash. Here, take a little for your trouble and forget the whole thing.

URDIRIEL: I'll leave it to your conscience.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Hehe, you're talking to the wrong Dwarf there. I don't go in for all that Praios-like prattle, understand?

URDIRIEL: Whatever you say.

At any rate, it is time to return to Soorman and see what task he will have.

drakensang2011022623212.png

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Your people are vermin. Didn't I send you away already?

URDIRIEL: I understand you don't seem to like Elves.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: You understand? What do you understand? Shut your mouth if you don't know what you're talking about.

URDIRIEL: I haven't even said what I want.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: The last vote so you can finally meet Thunderfist?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: You won't get my vote for a personal favor. I need more than that. The question is: 'Can I trust you?'

URDIRIEL: How do you intend to find out?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Take this letter to my friend. He owes me a share of the loot from his last raid. Give him this letter with my instructions unopened.

URDIRIEL: Is that all?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: The man is called Big Nose Barnabas. His place is in the woods east of here. ... Meet me back here with the loot. Nice and easy, hmm?

URDIRIEL: Just as you say. I'll be back.

Outside the tavern, Urdiriel decides to open the letter anyway. The message is rather unexpected.

drakensang2011022623222.png

However, the situation can be turned to our hand by pulling a little "Phexcapade". Behind one of the houses are two ruffians called Bragan and Jorgen that can help us.

drakensang2011022623225.png

drakensang2011022623230.png

CANO: [streetwise] I'm starting to think you provide special scribe skills at a price.

BRAGAN: But what Praios doesn't know brings in the dough... right?

JORGEN: Do you do fake sayings now as well as coins and letters? It's 'What Praios doesn't know, won't melt the snow.'

BRAGAN: Praios is the Sun God, you Goblin fart! Why would he worry about the snow?

JORGEN: And why would... oh, I give up... I just know I'm cold. And the 'wisdom' of Praios is more likely to burn witches at the stake these days.

URDIRIEL: Hmm, very informative. So you're a forger.

BRAGAN: The penny has dropped, has it? Would you like to avail yourself of my services?

URDIRIEL: I need a letter with this handwriting, but with a different message.

BRAGAN: Let me see. Hmm. Changing this message would be a worth a lot to you, wouldn't it? What do you want it to say?

URDIRIEL: "Give the bearer of this message the loot and all your gold!"

BRAGAN: I'll do it for 10 ducats.

URDIRIEL: Deal. Do it!

With the faked document in hand, the party heads to Barnabas' farm. The ploy works like a charm.

drakensang2011022623251.png

ZEKE BARNABAS: Hmm...? Are you lost...?

URDIRIEL: This is a letter from Captain Soorman.

ZEKE BARNABAS: Soorman? But we had an agreement...

URDIRIEL: Hmm, aha... Loot and all your gold... I see. [reads quietly]

ZEKE BARNABAS: Phew, I'm relieved that we're quits. Here, take it.

Returning to Soorman, he doesn't seem to be in the least surprised when the party shows up with the loot.

drakensang2011022623275.png

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Did you take my message to Big Nose Barnabas?

URDIRIEL: Here's the loot. Or did you think I wouldn't manage it?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Hmhm, you have exceeded my expectations.

URDIRIEL: The errand wasn't exactly what I was expecting either.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: I think you get to know people best when you surprise them.

URDIRIEL: So do I get your vote now?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: My vote? Do I look like Arella the river mermaid? Do I have shells on my chest or the tail of a fish? Hmm?

URDIRIEL: Err, what? No, but...

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Listen to me. If you want to see your friend again, then do exactly as I tell you.

URDIRIEL: Another errand before I get to meet Thunderfist?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Hmm, no. Thunderfist is too stubborn to tell you where you'll find the red-head. I, on the other hand, can help you if you help me.

URDIRIEL: You want to go behind your leader's back?

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: More than that. I want to be the leader. And you will kill Thunderfist for me.

URDIRIEL: Kill? That's a suicide mission!

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: There are enough people ready to help me seize power. As soon as you attack, they will fight by your side.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Should you decide to speak of my plans to anybody else, then Golgari's wings will be the next thing you hear after the screams of your friends.

URDIRIEL: I see.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: So you know there is only one right answer to my question. Will you do it?

URDIRIEL: No. If you think you can use me for your purposes, you're badly mistaken.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Oh really? Very well. Take the eastern path through the woods to the gate. I will tell the guards to let you pass through the cave. Think hard about what your friend's life is worth to you. Hmhmm.

Outside, the party is suddenly approached by Leti the barmaid.

drakensang2011022623290.png

BARMAID LETI: Wait! I... I heard. I heard everything.

URDIRIEL: Calm down and start again from the beginning.

BARMAID LETI: He wants to force you to kill Thunderfist? You mustn't do it! ... I feel so bad.

URDIRIEL: Why do you feel bad?

BARMAID LETI: Because I helped him too! But I didn't know his intentions! I don't want them all to kill each other...

URDIRIEL: But you know one of them will have to lose, don't you?

BARMAID LETI: *bursts into tears*...! But I don't want to live with a murderer. What if he has you killed too? I couldn't stand it!

ARDO: Poor girl. That rogue has no scruples whatsoever. It's good that you have seen his true face.

CANO: A clever man considers all his options. Come, my dear. A pretty girl like you shouldn't cry. You should sparkle like a star!

JAAKON: Soorman has already tried to lure us into a trap once before. We should take care.

BARMAID LETI: So... so now what?

URDIRIEL: I would rather not talk about my plans. But thank you for your honesty, Leti.

BARMAID LETI: I understand. The Twelfgods be with you! Oh... what have I done?

Thus, our party heads to the gate Soorman spoke of and can finally meet up with Thunderfist.

drakensang2011022623362.png

NEXT: less talkin' and moar fightin'

Edited by virumor

After passing through the gate, our party enters the secret harbor where the pirate captains' ships are moored. It turns out to be a huge natural cavern heated by a hot spring.

Soorman's bosun Ork is back again as support in killing Thunderfist. However, Urdiriel has no intentions whatsoever to do Soorman's bidding.

drakensang2011022718490.png

The party heads down to Thunderfist's ship. Thunderfist appears to have three huge lizard-like creatures called Marus as bodyguards. The white-robed mage that Sanraya spoke of is also on board...

drakensang2011022718502.png

drakensang2011022718503.png

drakensang2011022718504.png

Thunderfist turns out to be a huge Thorwalian woman.

drakensang2011022718505.png

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Well it's me, Eilif Sigridsdottir, also known at Thunderfist!

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: What is your name and what do you want?

JASMINE OF THE CREEK: Don't talk to them. The best answer is death.

drakensang2011022718510.png

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Under my roof, all speak for themselves, Jasmine of the Creek!

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Get out of here before you get hurt.

Jasmine is dismissed and Thunderfist addresses the party. It's time to deal with this annoying Soorman.

drakensang2011022718512.png

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Now, by Swafnir, what do you have to say to me?

URDIRIEL: My name is Urdiriel Teardream and I...

CANO: Mora! We seek her! It took us so long to get here. Please tell us where she is!

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: And why should I help you?

URDIRIEL: Because I can help you too. Soorman is planning to attack you.

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Soorman? That treacherous landlubber! As if he would help anybody but himself.

However, there is a surprise. Soorman finally makes his move.

drakensang2011022718513.png

RIVER PIRATE: Captain Thunderfist! Treachery! Soorman intends to kill you all. He's bought off our people and barricaded the back of the cave.

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: That miserable bunch will get to know me, alright! Fight at my side and then we'll see. You, boy, guard my ship! My loyal Marus, onward!

Soorman's bosun Ork shows up again as well... apparently he was part of the plan all along. But as Urdiriel dealt with the runaway Goblins in a peaceful manner, the Ork can be robbed off his allies.

drakensang2011022718521.png

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: You walk good in Irontaste trap, har har! Ergoch Redpelts and Zutar make crunch on you! Look forward this, I do!

URDIRIEL: Goblins, don't listen to the bad Ork! Flee! A Reshamama is waiting in the woods. She will help you.

YOBBO: Yeees! Yobbo know Reshamama! She better than bosun Ork and stronger. Shoo! We flee!

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Ghorkai! Stubborn bait go! No Redpelts... More crunch for Zutar.

SHIP's ORK ZUTAR: Finish talk! You lose head now. Ai Kattach!

drakensang2011022718531.png

Finally, some action.

After killing the bosun Ork, a series of large battles with Soorman's pirate cronies will break out on the way to Soorman's ship. With the Marus and Eilif by our side, however, the pirates don't stand much of a chance.

drakensang2011022718554.png

drakensang2011022718554.png

RIVER PIRATE: Eilif! You're a good fighter but a lousy leader. You lost your last ship to the Riverfather! And did anyone ever get a look at that treasure? I don't think it even exists!

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: You believe in a fairy tale about the Riverfather but not in the treasure that went down with my ship? Anyone who mutinies for a few ducats can expect to pay with their life. Marus, kill them!

In the next area, Soorman's pirates will quickly surrender after killing a few.

drakensang2011022719010.png

drakensang2011022719020.png

In the final area before Soorman's ship, the pirates quickly head for the hills.

drakensang2011022719051.png

drakensang2011022719054.png

Finally, the party reaches Soorman's ship. It is time to settle the score once and for all.

drakensang2011022719094.png

drakensang2011022719095.png

drakensang2011022719101.png

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: No Soorman. The time has come for us to fight. I'm sick of your lies.

CAPTAIN SOORMAN: Do you know what I am sick of? Those disgusting, stupid animals! Those Marus, guarding your painted skin. It is time to end this...

Soorman has a final trick up his sleeve... Jasmine of the Creek.

drakensang2011022719102.png

Jasmine casts a spell and turns Eilif's Marus against the party. A big battle breaks out.

drakensang2011022719103.png

Key to winning this battle is dealing with the Marus as fast as possible, since Jasmine and Soorman will also join the battle.

drakensang2011022719114.png

One Maru is quickly killed with melee skills that cause wounds, while Jaakon turns a second one to stone. In the meantime, Cano turns another Maru back to the party's cause with his "A Better Offer" miracle.

drakensang2011022719122.png

Once the Marus are under control, Soorman falls quickly...

drakensang2011022719132.png

...while Jasmin teleports away after taking a couple of hits.

drakensang2011022719134.png

After killing the remaining two Marus, Eilif will spill the beans about the connection between Mora and the pirates.

drakensang2011022719153.png

drakensang2011022719155.png

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Ha! By Swafnir, what a battle!

URDIRIEL: Are you finally going to tell me where Mora is?

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: That I will! Mora is not here. The white hoods took her to the castle, to Dajin, Baron of Nadoret.

URDIRIEL: How are you involved with the Baron?

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: We had an agreement. He kept the authorities off our backs in return for a share of the loot. And he tipped us off about the river trade.

JAAKON: The Baron's treachery won't go unpunished.

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Soorman convinced the weaklings in the Council to play along. I never liked the whole thing, especially after those white hoods turned up. Now it will end.

URDIRIEL: What about the woman in white - that Jasmine of the Creek?

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: I wish I had the chance to give that traitor a proper talking to. With my fists! She's probably gone to Castle Nadoret. To her master, Coldstone.

JAAKON: I'll give him no more mercy than he gave Fayris.

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: A feud? Then listen. I know a secret way into the castle. The harbor master of Nadoret has the key. I wish you a good battle, Urdiriel Teardream!

URDIRIEL: What happened to Mora?

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: We had orders to capture the ship she was traveling on. But we didn't take her prisoner. She came with us willingly. Almost as if she knew exactly what to expect. There's some dirty secret behind all this.

URDIRIEL: How is Coldstone involved?

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: They were secretive, those white hoods. I just know that they got involved in the whole business and always wanted more... from the Baron too, so it seems.

URDIRIEL: Tell me about the deal with the Baron?

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: The tollkeepers told us what the ships were carrying and how well guarded they were. Then we shared the loot with them. Dajin has been demanding an increasingly bigger share ever since the white hoods arrived.

URDIRIEL: That's all I needed to know.

Eilif then takes the party back to Hammerberg.

drakensang2011022719213.png

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: Here we are. If you stay in Hammerberg for a while, have a drink and a chat with me in the tavern. I need to think about my future.

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: As for your future, Sjahskari, I'm sure fate will show you the way. You seem a better leader than I was, Urdiriel Teardream.

URDIRIEL: Good luck to you, Eilif Sigridsdottir!

CAPTAIN EILIF THUNDERFIST: [she turns to Ardo] And you! I like the way you fight! May the strength of your sword arm last many years.

ARDO: I... erm... Rondra be with you, Madam Eilif.

With the part of the main quest in Hammerberg finished, the course is now clear: the Baron must be apprehended.

NEXT: sidequests.