Let's play Drakensang: the River of Time

HoonDing

Let's play Drakensang: the River of Time, the 2010 sequel to Drakensang: the Dark Eye.

The story starts in Ferdok, setting of the first Drakensang, with two joinable characters of that game, Forgrimm & Gladys, reminiscing over an old painting.

drakensang2011021121232.png

drakensang2011021121240.png

drakensang2011021121243.png

Eventually, the Dwarf starts telling the story of what happened 23 years ago.

drakensang2011021121251.png

Character creation: we decide to play with an Elven Ranger with the colourful name Urdiriel Teardream. Elves are naturally geared towards magic & nature talents, while having troubles integrating in human society.

drakensang2011021121311.png

drakensang2011021121331.png

The game starts on a boat and according to our journal our character is supposed to travel to a town called Nadoret to finish her training with an Elven master called Laurelin.

However, for now we are stranded on an island and must help the Captain with some menial tasks.

drakensang2011021121342.png

CAPTAIN ALBASS: It's good of you to join us on land, young lady. We'll camp here tonight before we reach Nadoret tomorrow.

CAPTAIN ALBASS: You promised to make yourself useful during our journey. I forgot all about that, or I would have given you something to do much sooner.

URDIRIEL: And of course I'll keep my word, Captain. What can I do to help?

CAPTAIN ALBASS: Lend old Piet a hand to set up camp for the night. We'll set off at first light tomorrow - our paying passengers are in a hurry.

Piet turns out to be an old curmudgeon who quickly sets us on our way to fetch some fungus with the young sailor Janah.

drakensang2011021121333.png

PIET: Who? What? Oh! It's someone from the boat. What was your name again?

URDIRIEL: ... Urdiriel Teardream! How could you forget?

PIET: Oh right! You're the one who couldn't afford to pay the full fare... the one that I can use for odd jobs. I don't know how I could forget that.

URDIRIEL: Yes, the captain was so friendly

PIET: Friendly? Hurumpf, well if you enjoy working so much... you can do my job as well!

PIET: Or not. Who knows what a mess you'd make of it... I seem to remember that someone chose to waste their money on betting instead of buying tinder fungus in Ferdok.

JANAH: No, that's not true! Somebody stole the money and I was so shocked by the theft that I forgot to buy the tinder fungus. Really!

URDIRIEL: I don't have any tinder fungus either. How can I help?

PIET: Well, someone will have to find some dry tinder fungus on this island and YOU are going with them, just in case..

JANAH: I'm not scared! I would go on my own if it wasn't so dull...

PIET: Make sure she comes back in one piece, or you'll have to deal with me! Janah is in enough trouble as it is.

URDIRIEL: Of course. Come on, Janah, let's go.

After all said and done, Janah leads us to a spot with tinder fungus, but of course she messes it up.

drakensang2011021121351.png

JANAH: It's as wet as a bowl of Kosh Cabbage Broth! We won't find a shred of dry tinder fungus out here if Efferd has blessed the entire island with his wonders.

URDIRIEL: What shall we do now?

JANAH: I know! While we're here, let's take a look inside the ruined tower. I bet it's still nice and dry inside.

URDIRIEL: That sounds like a nice little adventure. I'm in.

I forgot to take screenshots of the tower, but what happens is that the two companions get attacked by some bats and eventually find some dry tinder fungus.

After returning the fungus to Piet, the Captain gives us the task to inform three travelling merchants (one of them a Dwarf) that the camp is set for the night.

drakensang2011021121395.png

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

is this the Aurora engine? :sorcerer:

I'm loving the Let's Play week on these boards

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah its awesome cause a lot of these are games I wouldnt be playing (or replaying) any time soon.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The travelling 'merchants' turn out to be not very sociable.

drakensang2011021121400.png

HUMAN MERCHANT 1: I'm sorry, but we're in the middle of an important discussion.

URDIRIEL: The Captain has sent me to tell you that the camp is set for the night.

HUMAN MERCHANT 2: Oh, thank you for this reassuring piece of information. I'm sure we've earned a nap.

DWARF MERCHANT: I have to agree with him there. I'll sleep like a log after all that cursed rocking and rolling about on the ship.

HUMAN MERCHANT 1: Nobody is going to bed yet! Or have either of you slackards come up with a good idea yet?

DWARF MERCHANT: ...errr.....

HUMAN MERCHANT 2: ...hmmm...

HUMAN MERCHANT 1: Please explain to the captain that we have matters to discuss and that it will take as long as it takes... we wish to remain undisturbed. Understood?

Now, we can leave it at that, but we can also harass the three some more.

URDIRIEL: are you also travelling to Nadoret?

DWARF MERCHANT: That's for me to know and you to find out, Pointy Ears. Haha! Well... we don't have anything to hide, so I can guess we can tell you... We...

HUMAN MERCHANT 1: We are... we're merely travelling merchants... with important matters to discuss.

DWARF MERCHANT: That's right, we have a private matter to discuss, so push off!

HUMAN MERCHANT 2: Oh my, you are such an elegant and subtle character, Gammlund... I'm impressed.

DWARF MERCHANT: What's that supposed to mean? Are you making fun of me, Cano... err.... Foxhill... I mean Foxhill!

HUMAN MERCHANT 1: It would be better if you left us alone now... I'm sure that one of the... boatmen... would be glad to chat with you.

URDIRIEL: Why are you being so unfriendly? I just wanted to get to know you!

DWARF MERCHANT: So you want to get to know us, do you? If you don't stop listerning to our conversations, you'll get to know my axe!

HUMAN MERCHANT 2: Don't take it to heart. My friend's axe is much sharper than his mind... and his moods are far worse than his breath!

DWARF MERCHANT: Cano, just say the word and I'll introduce you to my axe as well!

HUMAN MERCHANT 2: Ah, thank you for your kind offer but I have already had the pleasure... And by the way, my name is Dabro, not Cano. Dabro Foxhill, remember?

HUMAN MERCHANT 1: Stop it, both of you! Now let's get on with our discussion, if we may! Forgive me, kind Lady, but we wish to be alone.

When we finally leave the three alone, it seems we didn't really make a good first impression.

drakensang2011021121405.png

Anyway, after reporting back to the Captain, we can finally lay to rest, only to be rudely awakened in the middle of the night.

drakensang2011021121412.png

drakensang2011021121412.png

The entire camp is in chaos and fighting who appear to be pirates. Soon our character is attacked by two ruffians as well, and must defend herself with her puny dagger.

drakensang2011021121422.png

drakensang2011021121432.png

The two mooks go down quickly, but our heroine is attacked again by a large brute with an even larger warhammer. However, he is dispatched quickly as well.

drakensang2011021121440.png

In the meantime, the Captain got himself in trouble and we rush to his defense...

But our character is brutally beaten down from behind... and everything turns black.

drakensang2011021121440.png

drakensang2011021121441.png

drakensang2011021121441.png

NEXT UPDATE: arrival in Nadoret.

Edited by virumor

this game looks very nice on screenshots. a lot better than Divinity II

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

is this the Aurora engine? :)

No. Nebula engine.

Is that the same system and settings that old Realms of Arkania games were based on?

Stats seem the same but there are no flaws visible on character sheet.

It's the same setting, but TDE 4th edition rather than 3rd edition like RoA. Hence, there are no negative attributes. You can however, pick negative & positive traits during character creation.

drakensang2011021121451.png

After our heroine got knocked unconscious at the end of the previous update, Forgrimm starts the next part of his tale.

Our character wakes up to the quarreling voices of the three merchants she met in the camp. Only now their names are revealed: the Dwarf is Forgrimm, the young human is Cano (who is also Gladys

Intent on finishing our apprenticeship, we go and find the old lady Ilma Broadtree near the East Gate of Nadoret to get directions to Master Laurelin.

drakensang2011021215221.png

Her directions are clear: Laurelin can be found near the aptly named Troll Bridge. However, she also warns us not to try and cross this bridge to avoid getting squished.

drakensang2011021215354.png

After a bit of walking, we finally meet Master Laurelin.

drakensang2011021215373.png

drakensang2011021215373.png

LAURELIN: Sanyasala!

URDIRIEL: I greet you also.

LAURELIN: What leads you to me, Sister?

URDIRIEL: I'm Urdiriel Teardream. Elodiron Shining-Crystal sent me. She told me I could learn from you.

LAURELIN: I'm pleased to hear about Elodiron from you. I would be happy to share my knowledge with you.

LAURELIN: I can feel intuition and dexterity in you. And I perceive that you aren't a stranger to life in the forest.

URDIRIEL: Ai! But there's a lot more I'd still like to learn from you. Some paths have so far remained hidden from me.

The first task Laurelin gives us, is gaining the trust of his soul creature, a badger.

drakensang2011021215404.png

drakensang2011021215405.png

This task is easily accomplished using our character's Animal lore skill.

Next, Laurelin sends us and his badger to destroy five nests of giant fireflies who are endangering the region, and convince the beekeeper who's breeding them to snap out of it.

drakensang2011021215440.png

After destroying the nests, we find the beekeeper near the city's South Gate, selling the nectar he collected from the nests.

drakensang2011021215525.png

BEEKEEPER: Hello! Do you want to taste my delightful dragon syrup? You won't find a tastier.. treat in all of the Kosh.

URDIRIEL: No! Laurelin has sent me to speak with you...

BEEKEEPER: Ah, I already had a discussion about my work with the pointy-eared gentleman. He had some reservations...

URDIRIEL: .... which you obviously failed to heed. Instead, you have continued to breed those unnatural creatures.

BEEKEEPER: I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point. My fireflies wouldn't hurt anyone. Please tell Master Laurelin that he is worrying needlessly.

We find it rather hard to convince the beekeeper of his erroneous ways. The game gives us the opportunity to use one of the social talents, Fast Talk, but this is doomed to failure due to our character's total lack in social skills.

drakensang2011021215530.png

URDIRIEL: [Fast Talk] Those fireflies are unnatural. Who knows what they might do?! They're a terrible menace!

BEEKEEPER: [Failure] Those beasts are less harmful than bumblebees. And their syrup sells fantastically!

To make matters worse, the Harbormaster shows up as well, disregards our arguments and kicks us out of the town.

drakensang2011021215531.png

All there's left to do for us is to report back to Laurelin, who warns us about the Harbormaster and sends us on our next training mission.

For our next and final training mission, Laurelin asks us to hunt a Blood Wolf by following the trail of traps set by a couple of trappers that are hunting the wolf, and disarm the traps along the way. As the Blood Wolf is too cunning to get caught by them, the traps are only hurting innocent animals.

After disarming a few traps, the two trappers show up and try to take us out. However, they are driven off rather easily.

drakensang2011021215590.png

drakensang2011021216002.png

Eventually, we reach the edge of the Dark Forest where we encounter a young sorceress fighting some wolves. Not far from this scene, there are two bodies of smugglers that were transporting some goods.

drakensang2011021216052.png

drakensang2011021216053.png

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: By Hesinde, where did you come from all of a sudden? You only escaped being turned into charcoal by a whisker!

URDIRIEL: These bodies... they obviously have bite wounds. Do you know who these people were?

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: No, I asked myself that too. They look like a bad lot to me. Smugglers perhaps... but that's not why I'm here.

URDIRIEL: Even so, shouldn't we attend to these men?

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: There's no time for that now! A diseased wolf is wreaking havoc here... and I have come to kill it. From the look of these corpses, the beast can't have gotten very far yet.

URDIRIEL: I'm also here to free the forest from this sick animal's clutches.

Eventually, the Blood Wolf and his pack show up and we are drawn into a fight.

drakensang2011021216054.png

drakensang2011021216061.png

Between our own archery skills and the support of both Hesindiana's magic and Laurelin's soul animal, the wolves are easily defeated.

drakensang2011021216071.png

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Thank you for your help. I must say I am very glad you were there to help. That Blood Wolf was more of a danger than I thought...

URDIRIEL: Before we attend to the victims, could you explain to me why you were hunting this creature?

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: The blood of this sick creature is an important ingredient for magic experiments. However - and no insult intended- I suspect you would not understand the details.

URDIRIEL: Whatever you think... alright, now what are we going to do with these bodies?

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Perhaps we should find out more about them first... let's see what they have on them...

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Hmm... exotic food, various things... and a letter. Let's see... hmm, signed with an "S.B."... no arcane text, no alchemist's recipe, how boring.

URDIRIEL: A letter? That certainly sounds interesting.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Do you think so? Well... here is the letter. I must hurry back to my Master. I wish you well, and I thank you once again!

Upon returning to Laurelin, he congratulates us on our success, summons the forest creatures and officially ends our apprenticeship.

drakensang2011021216111.png

drakensang2011021216112.png

Laurelin also grants us the recipe for the Improved Soul Bow as a parting gift, which will eventually give us the opportunity to craft the best bow in the game.

drakensang2011021216115.png

After finishing our apprenticeship, our character has moved to level 2. We make use of some of our leveling points to learn the spells Balm of Healing, Thunderbolt and Fastness of Body from Laurelin.

NEXT UPDATE: adventure calls.

Edited by virumor

Good stuff, now I have Div2 I'll probably never get around to this. ;(

Would be interested in seeing how skills/spells do in here too, compared to ROA?

Our character has only just finished her training with Master Laurelin, when she is approached by a Dwarf.

drakensang2011021216162.png

AGENT GERLIN: Urdiriel Teardream, stop... a word with you.

URDIRIEL: How do you know my name?

AGENT GERLIN: Now, now! Not so hasty! I didn't mean to barge into this. First of all, let me explain how you came to my notice.

AGENT GERLIN: How you mastered the last stages of your training with Master Laurelin... that impressed me. And how you dealt with that crazy beekeeper... Very shrewd, I must admit.

URDIRIEL: Well, shrewd isn't exactly the word I'd use. What do you really want from me?

AGENT GERLIN: I'll get to that in a moment. But the most revealing part was the story about that... Blood Wolf. Pity it didn't spare any of the smugglers. They could probably have given us lots of information.

URDIRIEL: Enough! How do you know all this? Who are you?

AGENT GERLIN: My name is Gerlin and my... 'office' requires me to see to it that I am always well informed about things. To put it bluntly, I... stumbled upon you... so to speak... during my investigation of the pirate attacks.

URDIRIEL: You're on the trail of the river pirates?! What were you able to find out... and what do these... these smugglers have to do with it?!

AGENT GERLIN: I don't know that myself yet, but I'm sure we'll find out soon. However, that is something we should discuss in a somewhat quieter location.

URDIRIEL: You still haven't told me whom you're working for...

AGENT GERLIN: When you get your teeth into something you just don't let go, do you? Heh heh... I like that about you. However, I regret that I must keep this information from you... for now. We should really discuss this in a quieter location.

URDIRIEL: Hmm. All right, agreed. After you.

AGENT GERLIN: Alright then. Follow me.

Gerlin takes Urdiriel to a back alley of Nadoret and introduces her to his companions.

drakensang2011021216170.png

drakensang2011021216170.png

AGENT GERLIN: Nobody should bother us here. My liegemen: Jaadon Zagor and Fayris Lynxeye.

AGENT GERLIN: Seems like all of us want to find out what the river pirates are up to. That brings a cooperation to mind.

JAAKON: Cooperation? Isn't that rushing it a bit? I was only talking about exchanging information, nothing more.

FAYRIS: We don't have enough people to pass up such crucial help, Jaakon. My senses tell me that we should trust them. Gerlin has always had the right instincts so far. It...

AGENT GERLIN: ... It is not up to us alone to make any decisions about a mutual plan, anyway.

AGENT GERLIN: After all... we're all in this thing together, aren't we?

AGENT GERLIN: So what say you? Do you want to work together in this?

URDIRIEL: I'm in.. if you'll actually tell me what's going on.

AGENT GERLIN: My sources tell me that a ship will dock in the harbor tonight, after the curfew. It's possible that stolen merchandise from the pirate attacks will be on board. Anyway, we'll have to take a closer look at this situation.

URDIRIEL: Loot from the pirate attacks? Hmm... why Nadoret, of all places? I don't understand.

JAAKON: Nadoret is one of the last big trading posts before Ferdok. Perhaps the merchandise is to be transported on the road from here.

FAYRIS: And it's not certain if Nadoret is the only place on the river that is used for this purpose. It's possible that there's only one location which constantly changes.

URDIRIEL: That's all very well, but Nadoret still seems like an insecure turning point to me, though. The harbor is sure to be monitored by partrols during the curfew.

JAAKON: Normally you would be right about that. However, according to everything we were able to learn, there won't be any patrols tonight.

AGENT GERLIN: A tricky matter... the influence of the men behind this must reach farther than we supposed. The question is... how far?

URDIRIEL: I'd be happy if we could just catch the pirates. But one thing at a time. What is the plan?

AGENT GERLIN: As soon as you are ready, Jaakon will take you to our meeting place when darkness falls. We'll discuss the last details there and leave together.

URDIRIEL: I understand. Let's hope it all goes well.

Before setting off, Fayris gives a warning: the upcoming mission will be the first that is serious business.

FAYRIS: Urdiriel Teardream, I sense that you know how dangerous this mission will be for us all. Be sure that you prepare properly for all this... then meet Jaakon behind the tavern at the marketplace.

URDIRIEL: Of course. I'll prepare myself and then go to the tavern.

AGENT GERLIN: Well then, that's everything... right? Please excuse me. I also have some preparations to make. Oh... and please keep a low profile. Not a word to anyone about our mission.

URDIRIEL: As you wish. Until tonight.

They part ways and Urdiriel heads to the marketplace to buy a few potions and supplies. Then she goes to find Jaakon behind the tavern.

drakensang2011021216204.png

Before starting the mission, Urdiriel decides to chat a bit.

drakensang2011021216205.png

URDIRIEL: Can I ask you a personal question?

JAAKON: Oh, I... of course. You may.

URDIRIEL: What is your profession? You don't exactly look like a warrior. More like a Fountlandish scholar, actually.

JAAKON: No, I don't come from Fountland originally, even if a large part of my family feels very much at home there. I studied at the Hall of Mercury in Festum. I didn't stick with it very long there.

URDIRIEL: Festum? Isn't that in Fountland? You do have rather Fountlandish features.

JAAKON: Listen: I! Am! A! Middenrealmian! My heart belongs to the Middenrealm, that's why I decided to go into service... to work with Gerlin. So please do me a favor and don't pester me about Fountland.

URDIRIEL: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.

JAAKON: It's alright, I... You couldn't possibly know that I don't care to deal with that topic. There are just some things that are better left alone. I hope you understand that.

URDIRIEL: How about Gerlin? He hasn't let much slip so far. I still don't know whom he is working for. Or you, for that matter.

JAAKON: And you won't get that information from me, either. Sorry. All I can tell you is that he is an outstanding friend and mentor, and that he never leaves any of his people in the lurch.

JAAKON: He thinks very highly of you for some reason. I guarantee you that you can trust him completely.. I even surmise that ultimately we are pursuing the same goals. That's all I can tell you about him.

URDIRIEL: Is this Faryis Lynxeye a Feytala?

JAAKON: Feytala? Oh... of course. Yes, you're right, she's an Elf half-breed. Why do you ask?

URDIRIEL: I'm just curious. I was wondering how long you have known her.

JAAKON: Actually I began my service with Gerlin at just about the same time as she did. We met for the first time there. At first, the teamwork wasn't as succesful as Gerlin had hoped... but over the years we've overcome our differences to have a viable working relationship, as Gerlin likes to say. I think very highly of her. You won't find a better scout anywhere.

URDIRIEL: About our mission...

JAAKON: Of course, the mission. Are you ready now?

URDIRIEL: Yes, let's get started, Jaakon.

JAAKON: Now we're getting to the deadly serious side of things. We'll meet up with the others behind the Praios Temple after darkness falls. Let's go!

However, when Urdiriel & Jaakon show up behind the temple at night, something is amiss.

drakensang2011021216221.png

JAAKON: I don't like it at all. The others should already be here by now.

URDIRIEL: Perhaps the harbor watch is on patrol after all and held them up?

JAAKON: Out of the question. We would have seen them in that case. No, it must... psst... someone's coming!

Fayris comes rushing out of the darkness and addresses Urdiriel and Jaakon. Of course, something has not gone according to plan.

drakensang2011021216222.png

FAYRIS: Urdiriel Teardream, Jaakon! We... Gerlin, he...

JAAKON: What's the matter with Gerlin? What happened?!

FAYRIS: We were... he wanted to check on something. The smugglers captured him, I... I couldn't intervene.

JAAKON: Curses! How could he be so careless! Something must have rattled him... could you see where they took him?

FAYRIS: No, I... I didn't want to endanger Gerlin in any way. One of them muttered something about "the two big warehouses" and "the only way into the harbor district".

JAAKON: Hmm... if we want to rescue Gerlin, we'll have to sneak through those warehouses whether we want to or not. Hurry, who knows what they're planning to do with him!

URDIRIEL: You're right. We've no time to lose.

And so, for the first time in the game, we get to control an entire party.

drakensang2011021216225.png

Jaakon is a battlemage with a nice array of offensive spell and the useful Sleep spell. He can also summon the fire elemental, a very useful summon as its touch sets enemies on fire. His melee skills are not too shabby either and with his staff he can trip enemies when he is attacked in melee.

drakensang2011021216233.png

Fayris is a ranger like Urdiriel, but as a Half-Elf she doesn't suffer from any social penalties when dealing with humans. She also comes with the Arrow Tempest skill, which allows to shoot two arrows at once.

Thus, our party sets off.

drakensang2011021216224.png

Our party has barely taken ten steps when they run into some smugglers who appear to have been following Fayris.

drakensang2011021216250.png

FAYRIS: Oh, no! Members of the smugglers' gang. How could they have followed me?

JAAKON: We can speculate about that later. Hmm, they haven't noticed us... maybe they're only supposed to be lookouts while the ship is being unloaded.

FAYRIS: I have an idea! What if I set up a trap in the passageway, and then we lure them in here?

URDIRIEL: That's not a bad idea, Fayris. Let's do it.

drakensang2011021216273.png

Between Fayris' traps, Jaakon's fire elemental and a volley of arrows the smugglers are easily defeated.

drakensang2011021216284.png

After two more skirmishes with smugglers, now including enemy mages, the party makes it to the warehouses where Gerlin is imprisoned. Fayris now proposes to split the party to scout ahead.

drakensang2011021216322.png

drakensang2011021216324.png

Fayris goes to the southern warehouse, while Jaakon takes the northern warehouse. Urdiriel stays behind to watch their backs.

However, not long after Urdiriel is left alone, some gloating thugs appear.

drakensang2011021216330.png

SMUGGLER: Tsk tsk... always these puffed up snoopers who don't know when to quit.

SMUGGLER: Now you'll pay the same price for your stubborness as your friends did.

URDIRIEL: You should have thought more about the price you'll pay for your actions...

drakensang2011021216335.png

Though outnumbered, Urdiriel easily defeats the thugs are easily beaten with the help of Jaakon's fire elemental who conveniently stayed behind, and the Thunderbolt spell. Two of the thugs drop Incendiary Arrows, which will come in handy not much later.

Urdiriel is now faced with a choice, either to follow Jaakon or Fayris... she decides to pick Jaakon.

drakensang2011021216342.png

Once inside, she is just in time to help out Jaakon survive the trap that was set for him. However, Fayris is still in danger.

drakensang2011021216360.png

JAAKON: I thank you, Urdiriel Teardream. Hurry! We have to get to Fayris in the other warehouse. Gerlin is probably in there too!

URDIRIEL: Agreed. Which way?

JAAKON: Through the back gate! Out to the harbor. If we access the other warehouse from there, we might have the element of surprise working to our advantage!

Jaakon and Urdiriel head outside, to find the entire area to be infested with thugs. Will they come in time to save Fayris and Gerlin?

drakensang2011021216374.png

Outside, Jaakon and Urdiriel decide to sneak past the smugglers to reach the warehouse where Fayris and Gerlin are. This requires some careful timing, as the area is patrolled by a mage.

drakensang2011021216385.png

drakensang2011021216400.png

drakensang2011021216401.png

Eventually, they reach the southern warehouse.

Just as Urdiriel and Jaakon enter the warehouse, Fayris (who apparently didn't need much help) comes storming in and attacks a mage who is guarding Gerlin.

drakensang2011021216404.png

drakensang2011021216405.png

The mage, however, stops the arrow in its path and hits Fayris with a ball of lightning, instantly killing her (and crushing Urdiriel's hopes for a F/F romance).

drakensang2011021216410.png

drakensang2011021216410.png

The mage then leaves after dropping a glowing object on the ground.

drakensang2011021216411.png

The object gathers junk from around the warehouse and assembles a golem, with the intent of crushing Jaakon and Urdiriel into the ground.

drakensang2011021216412.png

The junk golem can be rather easily defeated by setting it on fire with the Incendiary Arrows that Urdiriel picked up earlier and Jaakon's Thunderbolts. The summoned fire elemental is meant to keep the golem away from Jaakon and Urdiriel, but unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of hit points and goes down quickly.

drakensang2011021216413.png

drakensang2011021216423.png

drakensang2011021216441.png

Eventually the junk golem is defeated, knocking down Urdiriel in the process.

drakensang2011021216443.png

drakensang2011021216444.png

drakensang2011021216445.png

While Jaakon is mourning over Fayris' body, Urdiriel unties Gerlin.

drakensang2011021216450.png

AGENT GERLIN: Coldstone. I... I was too careless. I'll never forgive myself.

JAAKON: Poppy****! What happened to Fayris has nothing to do with you, it was that... that monster!

URDIRIEL: Even though I may not have known Fayris very well, I deeply regret that we weren't able to save her.

AGENT GERLIN: Truly, an immeasurable loss. A life so young, ended so casually and cruelly. In spite of this, my friends, we mustn't lose hope. Not now.

URDIRIEL: So 'Coldstone' is the name of the man whom we have to thank for this? What part does he play in this matter?

AGENT GERLIN: That's the big question I don't have an answer for... not right now, anyway. I don't know much about him. But I will remember his face... and his name. We've clashed before, during my youth.

URDIRIEL: Clashed?

AGENT GERLIN: Yes, it was a trivial matter during my service, an... irregularity. I can't even remember what it was about. But I'll get to the bottom of it, even if I have to examine every document from my service days.

AGENT GERLIN: Well... the actual reason I ended up being taken prisoner was a conversation behind a courtyard wall - which I was able to overhear by accident while on the way to our meeting point.

AGENT GERLIN: What I heard was, "That fat swine is getting greedier by the day. He wants a bigger piece of the pie... he's almost as bad as the Baron! Now the chest is supposed to go back to the stronghold. Seems it was brought here by mistake."

AGENT GERLIN: When they stopped talking, I climbed over the wall to see what was in the chest. I was so eager to catch a glimpse that I didn't notice I wasn't alone on the other side of that wall. I felt a blow on the head and... woke up here.

URDIRIEL: And? What was in the chest?

AGENT GERLIN: I didn't get to that, more's the pity. But we still have the following clues: the initials "S.B." were carved on the chest... I suspect that "S.B." could be the Commandant of the Tollgate, Stitus Bloomfold.

URDIRIEL: Stitus Bloomfold, interesting. What's the plan this time?

AGENT GERLIN: Jaakon. I want you to accompany our new friend here. If she trusts someone, you trust that person too.

URDIRIEL: Ah, speaking of which: I'm traveling with three well-heeled merchants who are also in search of the pirates. Something extremely precious has apparently been stolen from them...

AGENT GERLIN: Yes, I know these gentlemen... You can tell them everything. You must go to the Tollgate and find out what the connection is between Commandant Bloomfold, the smugglers and the pirates.

URDIRIEL: Agreed. Together we'll get to the bottom of this.

JAAKON: Yes, we shall... and we'll find what this "Coldstone" has to do with it all.

AGENT GERLIN: Excellent! I'll journey to Ferdok to report on this night's events and what we have found out so far. And I will do everything in my power to find out all I can about Coldstone. May Phex be with you until we meet again!

URDIRIEL: I hope you'll find some answers. Take care of yourself, Gerlin.

After all this, Jaakon and Urdiriel return to the city.

drakensang2011021216465.png

NEXT UPDATE: travel preparations.

After the fateful night where Fayris bit the dust, Urdiriel and Jaakon have a nice batch of leveling points, which is spent on raising some their skills/spells and learning some new ones. Importantly, Jaakon picks up Alchemy and Urdiriel learns the art of bowyery.

Following Gerlin's instructions, they visit the Leaping Stag to share their experiences with Ardo, Forgrimm & Cano.

drakensang2011021520174.png

ARDO: Ah, there you are. Did you find out anything useful?

URDIRIEL: More than useful. A certain "Gerlin" approached me... he's on a secret mission to track down the river pirates.

ARDO: Gerlin, you say? Never heard of him. What does he have to do with this? And who is this with you?

JAAKON: My name is Jaakon Zagor. I work with Gerlin - in his name I would like to join you in your search for the pirates.

ARDO: Jaakon Zagor. Hmm. Well, if you think so...

URDIRIEL: I think we can trust Gerlin. He suspected that a band of smugglers were taking goods from the pirate attacks from here further inland.

JAAKON: That's right. Your friend helped me and my partner Fayris Lynxeye explore the docks one night to try and find out about this contraband...

FORGRIMM: Well, well. So we're supposed to trust these people... hmm. Did you find anything suspicious? Were smugglers there?

URDIRIEL: You can say that again... we were instantly ambushed several times. We had to rescue Gerlin, as he was being held by the smugglers and a magician by name "Coldstone". Unfortunately one of Gerlin's companions was killed in the attempt... whereas Coldstone was able to use his magic to escape.

FORGRIMM: Hmm... What have we gained, if he escaped? We still don't know where these pirates have their hideout. If this keeps up, we'll never... we'll never get the stolen merchandise back.

URDIRIEL: Well... it's not at all certain whether the smugglers and this "Coldstone" have anything to do with the pirate attacks. Gerlin was, however, able to overhear a conversation that linked the Commandant of the local Tollgate to the smugglers.

CANO: The Commandant of the Tollgate, you say? Hmm... perhaps we should pay the gentleman a visit, what do you think, Ardo?

ARDO: Aye... I think we should see what's what there. What about you? Are you joining us?

URDIRIEL: Of course! What did you think?

JAAKON: I will go with you as well... and not just because Gerlin wishes it. This Coldstone must be stopped, whatever he's up to.

ARDO: Right, then it's settled. We'll meet at the docks.

Ardo secures the services of Captain Delbrack and his boat, the Thalaria. drakensang2011021520203.png

drakensang2011021520203.png

drakensang2011021520205.png

However, there is a problem that needs solving. Delbrack fell out with his crew and they left in a huff. Urdiriel's task is to convince them to return. Delbrack gives her 10 ducats in case all persuasion attempts fail.

The first sailor, Four-Finger Salm, is harassing the local blacksmith near the South Gate of Nadoret.

drakensang2011021520222.png

Now, if our characters had good social talents, a lot of experience could be won here by convincing the sailors without having to pay up. But alas...

drakensang2011021520224.png

All persuasion checks fail, however, and Urdiriel is forced to cough up 4 ducats.

The second sailor, Silvertooth Yallik, is in the caverns underneath Nadoret, betting on fights in an arena. Again we convince the sailor by using 4 ducats.

drakensang2011021520235.png

Dumb Dan is a drunk, picking fights at the Leaping Stag.

drakensang2011021520260.png

drakensang2011021520261.png

Urdiriel manages to succesfully intimidate Dumb Dan and this time doesn't have to pay up.

Leaving the tavern, Urdiriel and Jaakon run into the beggar Old Greyhair. Turns out Greyhair is working as Gerlin's eyes and ears in Nadoret.

drakensang2011021520271.png

GREYHAIR: Ohh... excuse me... do you have a farthing for a poor one-legged man?

URDIRIEL: I'm busy at the moment. Out of the way...

GREYHAIR: Psst! Gerlin sent me, I have a message for you!

URDIRIEL: Aha! A message. How can I tell it's really from him?

JAAKON: Because I can confirm it. Old Greyhair is Gerlin's contact here in Nadoret. We had strict instructions to keep it a secret - unless he contacted us. We can trust him.

Greyhair hands over a letter which contains the interesting tidbit that Coldstone does not wear any magician seal, i.e. not acting under the authority of any guild laws or regulations, i.e. being a rogue mage.

After all this hoopnanny, the Thalaria can finally depart. Urdiriel, remembering Brother Emmeran's invitation, decides to make a stop at the Isle of Forgetting before pushing on to the Tollgate.

drakensang2011021520315.png

drakensang2011021520321.png

drakensang2011021520321.png

The Thalaria arrives at the Isle of Forgetting and is welcomed by Brother Emmeran.

drakensang2011021520323.png

BROTHER EMMERAN: Greetings! In the name of the Riverfather, I welcome you to the Isle of Forgetting!

BROTHER EMMERAN: You have come, just as I asked. I am pleased to meet you again.

URDIRIEL: Greetings, I am also pleased to see you again.

BROTHER EMMERAN: And as I see, you are not alone.

URDIRIEL: Yes, this is Ardo with his companions Forgrimm and Cano. I'm sure you are already familiar with Captain Delbrack and his crew.

ARDO: It is an honor to meet you, Brother Emmeran. After hearing of you, we all wished to meet you ourselves.

BROTHER EMMERAN: Then I'm glad to answer that wish. Please, come down from your ship. I would like to tell you a little about this place.

ARDO: I thank you for your invitation, Brother Emmeran. I am intrigued to discover more about this place.

For now, there's nothing more to do on the Isle of Forgetting than follow Emmeran and Ardo on a tour of the island and listen to a history lesson about the place.

drakensang2011021520325.png

drakensang2011021520332.png

drakensang2011021520352.png

When the tour ends in front of the temple, Urdiriel asks Emmeran about his words in Nadoret.

drakensang2011021520353.png

URDIRIEL: You mentioned my destiny when we met in Nadoret... Is that why you wanted me to find you?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Yes, the Riverfather revealed your face to me in a vision... you will play a role in the fate of the river, that is certain. Give me your hand...

BROTHER EMMERAN: Yes... the image is becoming clearer. A dark cave filled with putrid water... Tentacles that search for you in the dark... beware the death that lurks beneath your feet...

URDIRIEL: What are you talking about? What do you mean?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Forgive me, I can tell you no more. in the end, it is your deeds that will determine your fate. I will follow your progress and speak with the Riverfather.

BROTHER EMMERAN: But heed my warning: take care at the Tollgate. This fortress is a place of suffering and fear. Do not be deceived by appearances to the contrary.

ARDO: Wait, what makes you think we want to go there?

BROTHER EMMERAN: It is your destiny... you may set your own course on the waters of the Great River... but the River of Time has a will of its own. When you have found it, bring it to me...

URDIRIEL: It? What do you mean?

BROTHER EMMERAN: You will know when the time comes. But enough of this, my friends. Your tasks are preordained... only you can decide how you face them.

ARDO: Well... so be it. Since you mention our tasks... I had best return to the ship. We must prepare to continue our journey.

ARDO: It was an honor to meet you, Brother Emmeran.

BROTHER EMMERAN: I thank you. It was good to have guests again. Visit me again whenever you wish. Until then, go with the blessing of the Riverfather.

And thus, the party continues on to the Tollgate.

drakensang2011021520394.png

More to come, on Friday.

this game looks very much like NWN2. and that's a good thing. I'm really digging the art direction.

Walsingham said:

I love the stocky little dwarves, they look exactly like garden gnomes. :ermm:

Seems a pretty decent RPG but nothing special so far, interested to see how the story pans out.

drakensang2011021720482.png

Arriving at the Tollgate, the Thalaria and crew are quickly approached by two tollkeepers who prevent Urdiriel and her companions from performing any investigations. Ardo decides to keep the two busy while Forgrimm and Cano set out to the Tollgate Keep. Ardo also urges Urdiriel and Jaakon to follow the two and prevent them from fighting.

When Urdiriel and Jaakon reach the gate, Cano and Forgrimm are already quarreling about how to best break into the Keep. Forgrimm wants to rush ahead and kill everything in sight, while Cano wishes to take the more subtle route. Urdiriel needs to make a choice which of the two to follow.

drakensang2011021720502.png

CANO: Ah, there you are! Maybe you can talk some sense into this stubborn mule. Meanwhile, I can find an inconspicuous way into the fortress.

FORGRIMM: Save your sneaking around for your thieving jobs! I'm doing this my way, the honest way! Just make sure you stay out of my way!

URDIRIEL: Why are you arguing? Ardo wants us to work together.

CANO: Shorty here wants to just knock on the main gate. If I know him, we'll soon have the whole garrison on our backs. I'm sure there is a less conspicuous way.

FORGRIMM: Shorty?! One more word, and I'll make sure you can never sneak again! I'm doing this the only honorable way! If they don't play along... that's their hard luck!

URDIRIEL: What is your plan, Cano?

CANO: We should try to get into the fortress unnoticed... if the guards here have a dirty secret, we're bound to find it as long as we don't arouse any suspicion.

FORGRIMM: Bah! You should be worried about your own filthy secrets, Scallywag! I'm going to do a little cleaning ith my ax! That's how we do it!

URDIRIEL: Tell me again what you intend to do, Forgrimm.

FORGRIMM: Right! I'll go in and ask these scoundrels a few questions... if they refuse to answer, I'll give them a few solid reasons to start talking. It's a tried and tested method and it saves time.

CANO: Lord of the Night preserve me! That's more Dwarven wisdom than I ever wanted to hear! I'm sure you're very impressed by such a cunning plan.

Being a peaceful tree-hugger, Urdiriel decides to follow Cano.

URDIRIEL: You're right, Cano, it is better to be careful.

CANO: Ah, I see you have both the beauty and the wisdom of the Elves. Just stay behind me, fair lady.

FORGRIMM: Pah! Go and creep through the weeds together then, I have work to do!

drakensang2011021720522.png

Cano is a thief and an indispensable party member who will open all locks, disarm traps and take care of all social related business. His pickpocketing can also make the party very rich.

His only weakness is his mediocre melee skills, on the other hand as someone who fights with fencing weapons he will eventually learn the skill Mortal Blow, an attack which ignores armour and inflicts two wounds (and in combat, five wounds means instant death). He starts already with Precision Strike, which ignores armour and inflicts one wound.

Apart from all this, Cano is also a deont of Phex, giving him spell-like abilities called "miracles" including the ability to throw stars (each inflicting 1D6 damage), an area buff/debuff, an ability that boosts his primary attributes and his most powerful ability: "The Better Offer", which charms a humanoid enemy into temporarily joining our party.

Cano soon finds the sewer entrance of the fortress and leads Urdiriel and Jaakon into it. However, once inside it appears they are not alone.

drakensang2011021720535.png

The sewer tunnels are guarded by a half-Ogre rat catcher named Ontho and his dog, Snapper.

Soon, the Commandant Bloomfold himself shows up.

drakensang2011021720540.png

BLOOMFOLD: Ontho, my fine fellow... have you been a good boy? Did you catch those rats?

ONTHO: Yes, yes, Ontho always do what Bloomfold say! Ontho catch rats and put key in chest like Blumfold want!

drakensang2011021720542.png

BLOOMFOLD: Yes, Ontho, you're a good boy! Listen to me, this is important! We've had a visit from a couple of snoopers.

BLOOMFOLD: I want you to deal with anyone you find here, understand? Make short work of them!

ONTHO: Yes, yes, Ontho break all who come! And go look traps! Snapper guard here! All what Bloomfold want!

BLOOMFOLD: Ah Ontho, you really are a gem, the finest in my collection, hehe!

JAAKON: Hmm, that cheerful blimp must have been Bloomfold, the fortress commandant. He matches Gerlin's description precisely. We're on the right track.

CANO: Unfortunately, they're expecting us. People even seem to know why we're here... It seems someone was a little clumzy with their "secret inquiries"...

CANO: Anyway, we should definitely avoid running into that Ontho... maybe we can distract him and his dog somehow. If we can get them both out of the room with the stairs, then we should be able to get into the fortress unseen. We just need to find some way of attracting their attention...

drakensang2011021720574.png

drakensang2011021720595.png

The key to sneak past Ontho is to disarm the rat traps that Ontho placed, then attract Ontho by making some noise. Ontho then goes to check his traps and spends some time re-enabling them, giving the party the opportunity to sneak past.

drakensang2011021721002.png

drakensang2011021721014.png

To get rid of the dog, Urdiriel frees Ontho's "pets". This causes Ontho to call for Snapper and gives the party a clear run to the exit.

In the next area, the party is made aware of Forgrimm's "exploits".

drakensang2011021721023.png

HEAD TOLLKEEPER TASHMAN: Hey, archers! Stop stuffing your faces! There's a crazy Dwarf out there smashing everything up. Stop him!

GRUMBOLD THE COOK: Hehe, did you hear the Head Tollkeeper, people? We're under attack... by a Dwarf! Sounds like we're really in for it, hahaha!

HEAD TOLLKEEPER TASHMAN: Silence! If we're found out, we're all in for it! Cook! You stay here and bolt the door behind us! Come on boys, let's get that snooper!

CANO: That stubborn Dwarf really did storm the fortress! It looks like he's taking on the whole garrison by himself... by Phex, I'd laught if it weren't so horrifying.

URDIRIEL: Then let's take the opportunity while the guards are distracted. What do you think?

CANO: I completely agree. It looks like we'll have to cross the room behind this door. Unfortunately, one of those fellows is still in there.

drakensang2011021721050.png

To pass this area the "Phex" way, Cano is supposed to sneak up on the cook, pickpocket the key off the cook, disarm the trapped chest and open it with the key. At this point, however, a succesful pickpocket is pretty much out of the question.

Cano gets caught, however, there is still the option to use some smooth talking.

GRUMBOLD THE COOK: Huh, who... by Phex, who's that?! You must be with those snoopers, aren't you? Wait! The guards...

URDIRIEL: Take it easy, my friend. I'm sure we can come to some agreement.

GRUMBOLD THE COOK: Bah, I've already seen your good intentions! Your Dwarf friend is smashing everything up out there!

drakensang2011021721052.png

CANO: [Fast Talk] Wouldn't you rather avoid any trouble and let us pass? We wouldn't want you to get hurt.

GRUMBOLD THE COOK: It's not that simple! You don't know what the Commandant is capable of when he thinks he's been betrayed. What can you give me in return?

CANO: The chance of a new life, my friend! When we're finished here, the Commandant won't be able to do anything to you. Then nobody will bother you... we promise.

GRUMBOLD THE COOK: [success] V...very well, if you promise... alright, I'll keep quiet. Ah, erm, you probably want the key for the door, don't you? Here, now go!

Once outside, the party finds itself on the battlements... meanwhilst Forgrimm is pacing the courtyard while several archers are shooting him (and continually missing because he won't stand still). Head Tollkeeper Tashman has a ballista deployed under the gate to shoot Forgrimm.

drakensang2011021721113.png

Our task is to sneak upon each archer and knock them out from behind. This task needs careful timing since after a while the archers will run out of ammunition and go fetch some new arrows, during which the party can be detected (spawning a lot of guards out of nowhere).

drakensang2011021721104.png

After elimination all archers, Cano reaches the lever that brings down the gate and destroys the ballista, saving Forgrimm's butt.

drakensang2011021721153.png

drakensang2011021721153.png

CANO: Excellent, you've done really well so far! I'm glad you decided to come with me. But with your good judgement, you'd hardly want to run after that clumzy Dwarf.

URDIRIEL: Well, if he hadn't distracted the guards, things would've been a lot more difficult for us... why do you have such a problem with him?

CANO: Sure, he's hard as nails... but he is also just as stubborn. He doesn't have too much respect for the ways of the Fox. Also, our first acquaintance was... rather unfortunate.

CANO: He and Ardo surprised me as I was performing a Phex-pleasing task. To smoothe things out, I promised to help them look for a thief named Mora.

CANO: Thanks to the Cunning One, in Ferdok I managed to discover that she's with the pirates. That's why we're looking for them... but enough of that. We need to keep moving.

After this mild revelation of Cano, the party catches up with Forgrimm and now faces Head Tollkeeper Tashman.

drakensang2011021721173.png

TASHMAN: by all the Lower Hells, where did you spring from? Are you with that Dwarf? How could you just walk into our fotress like this?

FORGRIMM: You better worry about me, lackey! I want some answers from you, and quickly! My ax is impatient.

CANO: I strongly suggest you cooperate, Head Tollkeeper... things rarely end well when he starts talking about his ax.

TASHMAN: Alright, alright, stay calm! Maybe we can cut you in. The pirates can be very generous, if...

CANO: The pirates? You're working with the pirates?

JAAKON: Things are starting to make sense... so the smuggler goods come from the pirate attacks. By Hesine, this conspiracy is on a much bigger scale than we thought.

TASHMAN: You... you didn't know? By all the Gods and Demons! You come here, kill nearly all my men... and you didn't even know about the pirates?

URDIRIEL: We had a vague suspicion... but we were obviously on the right track.

TASHMAN: Now I understand... you're not in another gang... you don't even want to make a deal, this is about something else.

TOLLKEEPER: What.. what should we do, Head Tollkeeper? If they know about our deal with the pirates, then...

TASHMAN: What do you think? There's no going back now! It's us or them... attack!

FORGRIMM: You seem a little slow on the uptake, human! All of you drop your weapons, or I'll crush you flatter than that little toy beneath the gate!

CANO: Much as it pains me, I must agree with the Dwarf... you should listen to him, Tollkeeper.

TASHMAN: Never! Men, finish them!

However, Cano can get rid of all Tashman's goons with his silver tongue.

CANO: [Fast Talk] Lay down your arms and go home, men! Leave this madman to his fate.

TASHMAN: Do you really want to anger the Commandant? I said: Attack!

TOLLKEEPER: [success] Why should I worry about the Commandant when I'm dead? I'm done with this madness.

TOLLKEEPER: Yes, to Boron with Bloomfold and his darned scheming! Come on lads, let's get out of here!

TASHMAN: Now... now everything's ruined! Why did you have to poke your noses in? Arrghh!

The lone Tashman now attacks the party and gets flattened pretty easily.

drakensang2011021721180.png

CANO: What a pointless death! He must have feared somebody more than us.

FORGRIMM: Ah, finally you skulkers turn up? I thought I'd have to do everything myself here.

CANO: Sounds like you were enjoying all that ducking and diving, Shorty! So sorry if we're interrupting.

FORGRIMM: Pah! I could have dealt with that ridiculous plaything myself. You just made things a bit quicker.

URDIRIEL: We're bound to have better chances if we work together, don't you think?

FORGRIMM: I must admit it can sometimes be quite useful to have a skulker watching your back... as long as you don't get in my way, I think we can work together.

CANO: That was almost praise, wasn't it, Forgrimm? And don't worry: if you still want to get your head caved in, I won't stop you.

URDIRIEL: Alright, let's go.

Thus, Forgrimm joins the party.

drakensang2011021721203.png

Forgrimm is a powerful fighter who comes with a nice set of melee abilities, like Mighty Blow and Knockdown. His Dwarfnose skill allows to find secret chambers in dungeons, he also will craft all armour & weapons for the party with his Blacksmith skill.

The party now enters the main hall, and is again faced with the choice of either (literally) knocking down the main door and fight about twenty guards, or take the more quiet route through the dungeons.

drakensang2011021721214.png

FORGRIMM: This must be the great hall. Without his lackeys outside, it should be easy to arrest that wretched Tollgate commandant. Come on, let's kick the door in and grab him!

CANO: Wait! I'm sure this place has a few more surprises in store for us. It would be smarter to find a way through the dungeon. That way we can avoid any more trouble.

FORGRIMM: You can sneak around on your own, thief! I told you not to get in my way.

CANO: There's no point in arguing with you, Forgrimm. What about you, Urdiriel? Which way will you choose?

URDIRIEL: Let's take the more cautious route through the dungeons.

CANO: Excellent decision! See, Forgrimm? You're outvoted.

FORGRIMM: Bah! I'll follow along just to keep an eye on you. Let's go.

drakensang2011021721244.png

Inside the dungeons, the party must deal with an elusive jail keeper who first sets his hounds on us, then locks himself into a jail. Some creative use of levers, however, and he is forced to hand over the key that gives access to the higher levels of the fortress.

Upstairs in the fortress, the party finally confronts the Commandant, Stitus Bloomfold, after disposing of his bodyguards.

drakensang2011021721310.png

BLOOMFOLD: Ah, we meet at last! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Stitus Bloomfold, commandant of the fortress you just assaulted so loutishly.

FORGRIMM: Spare us the pleasantries, villain! We know what you're up to! You're in league with the pirates!

BLOOMFOLD: Oh, so you discovered that already. Truly impressive. Did Tashman talk before you did away with him?

URDIRIEL: You seem to find the death of your underlings amusing. Are you really that unscrupulous?

BLOOMFOLD: Pah! I'm a practical man, I don't cry over spilt milk. But if you care so much, perhaps you shouldn't have killed them, hmm?

URDIRIEL: Tashman said you had been warned about us. Who told you about us?

BLOOMFOLD: Oh, wouldn't you like to know? Did you really think your snooping would go unnoticed? How simple-minded of you! It's incredible, how you got this far...

URDIRIEL: Let's get to the point! What kind of deal do you have with the pirates?

BLOOMFOLD: A lucrative arrangement. We give them information, and they always drop off a little package here and there... they'll be raiding an Elf village soon. I wonder what they'll bring me?

BLOOMFOLD: They say the most peculiar things about female Elves... maybe I'll find out the truth for myself soon, hehehe.

JAAKON: We'll make you eat your words, scoundrel! I just can't think of anything more repellent than you.

BLOOMFOLD: We'll, I think our little discussion is drawing to a close. I'm a very busy man, you see, and you're beginning to bore me...

URDIRIEL: Very well, since you're so impatient to be clapped in irons. Just tell us where the pirates are.

FORGRIMM: Yes, where are those scoundrels hiding? I'm getting sick of trawling up and down this river looking for them!

CANO: And what about Mora? Is she also with the pirates?

BLOOMFOLD: Mora? Hmm, interesting you ask ... my river pirate friends have mentioned that name a few times. They sounded quite agitated... if she's so important, then maybe she's still alive. That would be important to you, wouldn't it? Such a pity that you'll never find out.

URDIRIEL: You are defeated, fool. Surrender and we will be merciful.

BLOOMFOLD: Hahaha! You don't seem to understand your position. Right now Coldstone's man is dealing with your friends on the ship... and I have a very special surprise for you.

BLOOMFOLD: Time for you to meet my little pet...

FORGRIMM: Bah! We're not scared of your little lapdog.

Bloomfold presses a button and something awesome happens.

drakensang2011021721315.png

BLOOMFOLD, Oh, not this one! Hahaha.

The floor disappears under our party's feet and they drop down to a humid cave floor.

drakensang2011021721320.png

BLOOMFOLD: Come on boy, come on. Feeding time...

Bloomfold's pet turns out to be a Kraken Newt. Urdiriel has seemingly found the tentacles that Emmeran has warned her about...

drakensang2011021721321.png

drakensang2011021721334.png

The Kraken's tentacles cause knockdown and poison effects. It can also spit ink that causes temporary attribute damage and it will periodically duck under water and summon some morfus (huge snail-like creatures that spit poison).

Key to defeating the Kraken is summoning a creature and sending it to keep the tentacles busy together with Forgrimm. The rest of the party then concentrates on shooting the head with ranged attacks. Cano's star throwing is particularly effective.

drakensang2011021721393.png

It doesn't take too long for our party to defeat the Kraken... and in its final throes, it breaks down the rest of the floor...

... and sends the blimp to an ironic death.

drakensang2011021721394.png

Among other shinies, the Kraken drops a cube-like artifact with a dolphin engraving that Brother Emmeran might be interested in.

drakensang2011021721395.png

Next up: wrapping up the Tollgate & sidequests

ok, I'm gonna stop following this LP and try the game for myself. it really looks like a good game and I don't want to spoil it any more :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

With Bloomfold's threatening words fresh in mind, Uldiriel and her companions leave the Tollgate and hasten back to the Thalaria, but come too late.

Something terrible has happened to Ardo.

drakensang2011021721464.png

drakensang2011021721465.png

FORGRIMM: Ardo, no! What happened? Is he...

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: Ardo had been talking to the two tollkeepers for a long time.

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: Suddenly a stranger snuck up behind him with a dagger in his hand. Then everything happened very quickly...

drakensang2011021721471.png

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: I called out... he tried to dodge.. but the dagger grazed him...

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: Ardo slew them all, but the attacker's blade must have been poisoned. Ardo fell to the ground soon afterwards and now he's in this strange condition.

Cano now offers another revelation.

drakensang2011021721473.png

CANO: Oh no! That's the man who talked us into the robbery.

FORGRIMM: What! You know this man? And you and that Mora worked with him... by the Forge of Angrosh, what does this mean, thief?

CANO: Well... Mora and I are... old rivals. We've been in competition for a long time for the title of "King of Thieves". This man spoke to us in a tavern in Havena.

URDIRIEL: "King of Thieves"? What are you talking about?

CANO: It may not mean much to you. But we children of the Fox know what it means. Mora is my only serious rival. There are no better thieves than us in all Havena... this man knew that.

CANO: We were arguing about how we were going to outdo each other... he joined us and did what he could to stir things up even more. Finally, he made a proposition... by the Lord of the Night, a truly foolhardy idea.

CANO: Mora must have taken him at his word, because she went to ground soon after. I decided I had to beat her to it. By Phex, it was a real masterpiece, I don't mind telling you!

URDIRIEL: And then Ardo and Forgrimm caught you, right?

FORGRIMM: Haha, now I understand! Caught by your own tricks, Cano! And all because of a woman...

CANO: I... I was careless for just a moment. To my horror, I realized that Mora had already...

FORGRIMM: Silence, rogue! Must I remind you of your oath!

URDIRIEL: Oath? What oath?

CANO: I can't talk about it. We swore an oath of silence.

FORGRIMM: Exactly! And only Ardo can release us from it! Ardo!! By Angrosh, we must get him quickly to a healer!

Captain Delbrack now orders to bring Ardo on board and made comfortable. The party now has a discussion on how to proceed.

FORGRIMM: What are we waiting for? Raise the sails! Oh Ardo, shame on my beard! Why did I leave you alone!

CANO: And where should we go, Forgrimm? That blade must have had an evil poison... I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if a normal healer can help us.

URDIRIEL: The assassin was Coldstone's man, so I'm sure magic is at work here. Maybe Master Laurelin in Nadoret can help us.

JAAKON: Hmm, I certainly respect Laurelin's skills, but this is extremely complex magic. It's probably from some magician's laboratory. No, what we need is a real master of the healing arts.

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: It sounds like we can spare ourselves the journey to Nadoret... by Efferd's Trident! We must find help somewhere... can't you think of anything else?

URDIRIEL: What about Brother Emmeran? He seems to know about all kinds of mysteries... at least some of his prediction seem to already have come true.

JAAKON: Hmm, I don't usually trust people who claim to hear voices. But he really seems to know a lot. I must admit, I can't quite figure him out.

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: Yes, the Voice of the Riverfather! Ehm, I know the deonts of the city don't think much of him, but his advice never did me any harm. Or maybe you have some other ideas?

URDIRIEL: Brother Emmeran seems to be the best place to start looking for a cure for Ardo. What do you think?

FORGRIMM: Let's be on our way! To Brother Emmeran's island!

CANO: We need to carefully consider our next steps, for Ardo's life depends on it... he doesn't seem in immediate danger, he just won't wake up. Let's equip ourselves in Nadoret first.

FORGRIMM: Equip ourselves? You want to go shopping and plan your next dishonest deeds while Ardo lies here close to death?! To Emmeran's island, I say!

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: This is pointless! Somebody must lead our group until Master Ardo has been healed. Would you do it? After all, you did make it through the Tollgate with these two squabblers.

URDIRIEL: I am deeply indebted to Ardo. For his sake, I am willing to lead the group.

CANO: Let's have no false modesty here! You've already proven that you've got a good head on your shoulders. And if Shorty won't take my advice, maybe he'll listen to you.

FORGRIMM: At least I'll know I'm not taking a lousy thief's advice! I don't mind if you take command for now... as long as we can finally help Ardo.

URDIRIEL: Very well, then. I am ready to lead.

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: Then we are agreed. Men: this expedition now has a new leader!

FOUR-FINGER SALM: Yes, Captain!

FORGRIMM: Kangrosha! Then let's sail, with Angrosh's blessing! We must help Ardo!

CANO: Yes, the wisdom and blessing of Phex be with you. You are taking on a heavy responsibility.

JAAKON: I know only too well what it means to lose a comrade. I will be happy to help you... and as soon as Ardo is healed, we'll have Coldstone pay for his misdeeds!

CAPTAIN DELBRACK: Hmm, I think I've worked out that you're no ordinary merchants. Don't worry, I'll keep quiet if that's what you want... let me know when you have orders.

Thus, the party first goes to visit Brother Emmeran again on the Isle of Forgetting.

drakensang2011021722020.png

Unfortunately, even Brother Emmeran's considerable abilities prove too much to heal Ardo.

drakensang2011021722024.png

BROTHER EMMERAN: I am sorry. The power of the Great Mother is truly strong, but this poison is based on Dragon Magic, the sorcery of Humans and Elves. You must seek healing from them.

URDIRIEL: The Tollgate Commandant mentioned that the pirates were planning to attack an Elf village. Maybe the Elves can help Ardo?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Hmm, the Elves are indeed truly powerful healers. I know where to find their village... they asked me to keep it a secret, but in this case I hope they will forgive me. I shall show you on your map.

Urdiriel also informs Emmeran about the Kraken and the artifact it dropped.

drakensang2011021722041.png

URDIRIEL: We killed a Kraken Newt in the Tollgate, and found this fragment in its lair... I thought it might be important.

BROTHER EMMERAN: Let me see... oh Holy Great Mother, so that's it! Oh, great Riverfather, why draw me into your dispute with the Fathomless One? How can we mortals withstand his fury?

URDIRIEL: I don't understand... what do you mean, Brother Emmeran?

BROTHER EMMERAN: I... forgive me, my feelings overcame me... Only now do I understand the consequences of your actions. This artifact opens the doors to the Temple.

BROTHER EMMERAN: Since this place was destroyed in a feud between the two gods, Efferd's fury has seethed in its depths. The Old God has never forgotten the humiliation visited upon him by the Riverfather.

BROTHER EMMERAN: The anger of the Ocean God is like a relentless maelstrom. It swallows everything, even the brightest light and spits it out again as darkness. This darkness climbs from the depths of the temple and poisons the river... it rules foul monsters that mock the power of the Riverfather in his own realm

URDIRIEL: Creatures like the Kraken Newt?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Yes, like the Kraken Newt. I know that Humans had started to use it for their own dark purposes, but in the end they were also just tools of Efferd's vengeful fury.

URDIRIEL: I don't know if I understand all this... do you think there's a reason I found this thing?

BROTHER EMMERAN: The first time I saw you in Nadoret, I knew your actions were linked to the will of the Gods. I just did not know what role you would play.

BROTHER EMMERAN: I will use the fragment to open the temple... but you must go on alone. As the Voice of the Riverfather, I am forbidden from intervening directly.

URDIRIEL: If you think it is important that I enter the temple, then I will gladly do so... but what exactly do you want me to do in there?

BROTHER EMMERAN: You must find your way into the deep and confront what awaits you there... I can tell you no more, I'm sorry. I can only thank you for your valor. Now, follow me.

drakensang2011021722053.png

Brother Emmeran opens the temple. However, at this point the party has no business in there and will actually enter much later.

Thus, the party returns to Nadoret to equip and get some new training. Arriving in Nadoret, Old Greyhair delivers a new message from Gerlin: he could not find any information on Coldstone. Apparently he covered all his tracks.

drakensang2011021722075.png

Urdiriel notices a purple glow above the Mage Tower north of Nadoret - the party decides to investigate.

Heading towards the Mage Tower, the party encounters some commotion. Guards appear to have sealed off the area.

drakensang2011021819095.png

After convincing the guards to let them pass, the party enters the tower. In the basement they find the apprentice of the mage who inhabits the tower... the mage himself, Master Brookbeard, is frozen in the air next to her.

drakensang2011021819180.png

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Oh, you gave me a start!

URDIRIEL: What's happened here?

JAAKON: Whatever kind of spell that is... I've never come across it before.

URDIRIEL: The question is - how do we get him out of there?

JAAKON: It appears he wanted to protect himself from something. Apparently the spell has other effects, as well.

URDIRIEL: Yes, that's the way it looks, Jaakon. I wonder how long he's been hanging there.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: I... I found him like that. He must have jumped out of the room with a powerful leap... whatever shall we do... he is... but... if he had only allowed... I...

URDIRIEL: Calm down. What was your master working on? Please tell me.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Master Brookbeard was working in his lab... on a conjuring formula.

URDIRIEL: Hmm... A conjuring formula, that's quite vague. Do you have any idea what happened?

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: I was collecting herbs outside when a bright flash of light, accompanied by a tremendous thunderclap, came down on the tower. The ground shook and I was knocked down.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: And then... only then I saw it - a rift in the fabric of the spheres... directly above the tower! When I had collected myself again, I hurried to the laboratory immediately and... discovered all this.

URDIRIEL: We have to help your Master somehow and I don't know how much time the bailiffs can give us. If a pack of superstitious farmers come bumbling in here, things could get much worse.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: I don't know, the Master, without him... I...

URDIRIEL: Think! There must be a way of undoing this.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: I, yes... we... we could try to open the door to the laboratory. The cause of the rift in the sphere must be in there. We can open it with the object the master is holding in his hand.

URDIRIEL: Good! I'll take care of whatever is in the laboratory, and you try to free your master.

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: Agreed... but caution is imperative. A spell on the door seals the laboratory when there is impending danger. Only Fuldigor knows what is behind it.

JAAKON: If there's an unknown danger from Limbo lurking behind this door, we should be well-armed and proceed with caution.

drakensang2011021819185.png

Master Brookbeard literally holds a piece of the puzzle.

drakensang2011021819215.png

A rotating lock puzzle needs to be solved to enter the laboratory.

drakensang2011021819232.png

Inside the laboratory, the party encounters a summoning circle, sealed off by some kind of protectice bubble. According to Jaakon, time flows much faster inside the bubble.

As soon as the party enters the bubble, five fire spirits appear and attack.

drakensang2011021819234.png

Similar to Jaakon's fire elemental, fire spirits set the party on fire as soon as they're in the vicinity... very annoying. This can be countered with a burn salve, but at this point the party only has five of those and the fire immunity it grants only lasts for 30 seconds. Therefore, it is imperative that the spirits are defeated as fast as possible.

After killing the spirits a Greater Fire Spirit appears. This enemy is a lot tougher and uses a variety of melee abilities, but with five on one it is defeated quickly.

drakensang2011021819335.png

Defeating the Greater Fire Spirit dissolves the time bubble and Master Brookbeard, apparently freed from his statis, appears.

drakensang2011021819360.png

MASTER BROOKBEARD: It's you... you're alive! What a great relief! It would have been very difficult for me to explain your disappearance. I hardly dared to hope... I had already expected the worst after all this time.

URDIRIEL: Why were you worried? I was gone for no longer than a tenth of an hour...

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: By the chains of Satinav! You... uhhh... I... No, several hours have elapsed during your absence.

URDIRIEL: What?! You're pulling my leg!

JAAKON: But of course! The Limbus shield! It must have come into contact with the sphere of time... when we found Master Brookbeard, he seemed to be frozen in ice, similar to the Fire Spirit.

JAAKON: While we banished the Fire Spirit inside the sphere, time still continued its accustomed course outside the shield... that's the only explanation that makes sense.

URDIRIEL: Perhaps. The fire creature has been dispatched, at any rate. Has the commotion in front of the tower died down as well?

HESINDIANA ZOLTAN: I was able to clear the matter calmly and quietly... and thats not all.

MASTER BROOKBEARD: After Hesindiana freed me from my stasis, I tried to seal the rift in the spheres... Yet I also had to maintain the second shield, after all, you were still in there.

MASTER BROOKBEARD: The elemental could have escaped, but having observed many hours of your masterly combat techniques - although it all seemed to be in slow motion to us - we were sure that you would be victorious.

Master Brookbeard rewards the party with a funky looking mage hat.

Next, our party heeds a call of the local town guard to deal with a dangerous creature. They come upon a heated discussion between Guard Captain Nimralph and the Praios Deont.

drakensang2011021900145.png

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: Yes? How can I help you?

URDIRIEL: I wanted to join the militia.

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: Ah, the militia, eh? Well, you've come to the right place.

PRAIOS DEONT: Don't involve any more innocent people in this, Nimralph. Leave it to the Inquisition. I already sent for them!

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: Yes, you already said that, Deont Irian. But how many must die before the Grand Inquisitor gets here? Until he does, I will deal with this matter!

PRAIOS DEONT: I tried to warn you... but if you don't listen... I can't help you! The Grand Inquisitor will not be pleased to hear of your actions. I'm leaving...

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: And now as for you... the town guard needs as much help as it can get right now... especially people with combat experience.

URDIRIEL: Tell me more.

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: Last night the Night Watch heard someone screaming horribly near the harbor... when they went to investigate, they found the corpse of a man who had been terribly mutilated.

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: Witnesses said they saw a huge animal with a silver mane... walking upright! If that news gets around, the whole town will soon be in uproar.

URDIRIEL: An animal walking upright?

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: I fear we have a werewolf in town. That's what Laurelin the Elf said when I told him about the creature.

URDIRIEL: Do you have a plan?

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: We'll organize a hunt for it with as many armed men as we can find. If the Gods smile on us, we'll corner the beast and kill it. I want this problem solved by the time the sun comes up tomorrow... I am a man of action, not words!

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: You can rest in our quarters at the barracks until the hunt starts tonight. What do you say? Can I count on you?

URDIRIEL: Alright. I'm in.

CAPTAIN NIMRALPH: By Rondra! I won't forget this! Come, I'll show you your quarters.

drakensang2011021900174.png

After nightfall, the party meets up with Captain Nimralph, who brought a goat as bait for the werewolf. Barricades were also set up in the meantime, and the town gates closed, to prevent the beast from fleeing. It is time to slay the beast.